PDA

View Full Version : What is the definition of a good Rider?

terbang
11th March 2006, 20:02
What is the definition of a good Rider?

One that is aware of the risk associated with motorcycling and on that accepts that risk. Then you must learn to manage the variety of factors that happen while riding.

One that thinks about the consequences of there riding behavior in traffic.
For example, if I ride to fast into this curve what can happen to me? If I ride in the blind spot of this car what might happen? If I see the yellow light but still try to make it, what the worse that can happen?
The goal of every ride is to make it home safe.

Think about the consequences and it will make you a better rider.
This also relates to accepting personal responsibility for the results of your decisions and actions, as well as developing good skills and judgment.

Risk, wouldn't it be nice to reduce it. So a good motorcyclist would have the desire and motivation to reduce risk while riding. It takes superior riding skill; and of course a positive mental attitude helps.

Most good riders have a strategy, a way of thinking, and planning to avoid trouble.

One way of thinking is to have a space cushion or margin of error for your personal safety. The extra time and space needed given your skill level. (thats time and space all around you not just in front of you)

Use SEE . Search Evaluate Execute (SEE).

Search for potential hazards (I'm sure you all can come up with a few)
Evaluate the situation, how are you going to handle it (speed up, slow down, wait for traffic to do its thing)
Execute, put it into motion

Simple rule for Search part:
2 Second following distance (this is min. for ideal conditions, Is it ever Ideal?)
4 Second Immediate path
12 Second Anticipated path

You should never follow closer than 2 seconds
You should be able to respond to anything within 4 seconds from you
You should be searching 12 seconds ahead at all times

Always scanning aggressively.
Always Be aware of your handling skills.
Always be aware of your mental skills
Always be aware of your fitness to ride
-Fatigue
-Alcohol
-Hydration
-Medication
-Stress
Allways Be conscious of your own self control skills

Insanity_rules
11th March 2006, 20:15
Nice post terbang,

really makes you think doesnt it. Good advice. I'm of the mind to think ahead too. Its a good thing to think ahead when your riding, I've avoided many cages with no brainers piloting them.

I love to ride but I love my life too.

kiwifruit
11th March 2006, 20:26
good post terbang
thats what i was trying to do today!
not taking unnecessary risks, but still having a great time.
From what i saw today, id say you are an example of a "good Rider"

Jamezo
11th March 2006, 20:34
TLDR

the definition of a good rider: "a hard ceramic substance made by heating at high temperature selected and refined materials often including clay in the form of kaolinite"

Zed
11th March 2006, 20:42
A *good rider* is one who has good skills, judgment, and reactions!!! One who has the abilities to stand up to all/most challenges on the road that come his/her way!

Good riders don't normally blow their own trumpet either, it's the testimony of others who give a good rider credibility! :blah:

Kornholio
11th March 2006, 21:09
Did someone say alcohol?

terbang
12th March 2006, 08:40
Did someone say alcohol?
Huh yeah the more the better..:drinkup:

SixPackBack
12th March 2006, 09:07
Talks cheap......'Rossi' is the single word your all searching for!

SPman
12th March 2006, 09:55
Whatever it is - I'm not!

terbang
12th March 2006, 09:59
Talks cheap......'Rossi' is the single word your all searching for!

Noticed that in some cases, yup none of us are really as good as we would like to think we are and there is allways room for improvement, learning never stops thats why some kinds of talk is healthy (and Cheaper than busted bikes and bones) as it provokes thought and I totally agree Rossi is simply the best on the track.

Edbear
12th March 2006, 10:39
Good post and always good to make one think a bit about their riding ability. I consider myself a safe rider, but not necessarily a "good" rider, that is one who has the skill to get the best out of whichever bike he is riding a the time. A la Rossi et al. I am well aware that should I try a track day against other riders, my shortcomings would be quickly shown up! However I do ride to stay alive and the fact that I haven't had an accident since dropping my T500 on my then girlfriend's wet clay driveway in 1976 says something about how I ride. I've avoided many a coming together with cages by riding as though I am invisble and always looking ahead for potential trouble. I am also very well aware that some of the situations I have been lucky enough to avoid, were simply that and could have been very different were it not for the fact that I was simply riding slower at that moment. I always think about my riding and try to develop and improve my skills every time I ride. I hope to do a track day sometime where I can pick up tips and receive good advice from more experienced and better riders than I am. :ride:

Back Fire
13th March 2006, 01:20
IMO a good rider is one who has fun within their abilities

cowboyz
13th March 2006, 05:23
A good rider is one who can keep their bike acting in a predictiable manner. And one who does not panic and takes in all that is around him/her and flows through with calm and certain reactions. I am amazed the ammount of times I hear "I went striaght into this car because I had no where else to go" There is mostly always somewhere else to go. Most of the time it feels like there is no where else to go because the 1 of the 2 options you should have taken closed up 4 seconds ago.

SPman
13th March 2006, 05:48
Most of the time it feels like there is no where else to go because the 1 of the 2 options you should have taken closed up 4 seconds ago. Like - not being on the same bit of road. When you can see them at a give way sign and they decide to pull out when you are less than 12m from them, it does narrow the options somewhat! - even at 45k!
(no, I didnt hit her, but dropped the bike avoiding her.....:o )

cowboyz
13th March 2006, 06:09
I've hit a car before. going through lights and car coming towards me turned right, right in front of me. That gave me about a 4m braking zone which I couldn't stop in time. I have never laid a bike down though. Why did you? It anit over till the fat lady sings. I have had a few near misses. One with a truck that pulled out of a driveway on a country road and I did the big off road thing to avoid. I swore I was gone for all money but somehow the bikey gods wanted to look after me that day and I made it back on the road. A few waves and I carried on.

aff-man
13th March 2006, 06:24
IMO a good rider is one who has fun within their abilities

Yip totally agree. IMO good rider has the sense to know thier own limits and abide by them. And also know if they are pushing those limits a little to far.

If i feel "in the zone" I tend to ride faster,smoother and with more awareness without actually thinking about it, if not "in the zone" and trying to ride past the ability of my current state of mind I find the ride less enjoyable and more hard work.

I only ride so commuting is just that commuting... "don't pretend but know that everyone doesn't see you" Or however the saying goes.

Track riders are different again. Because tracks don't have pea metal, pot holes, stupid random turkeys/pheasant etc etc etc...

N4CR
13th March 2006, 08:28
Track riders are different again. Because tracks don't have pea metal, pot holes, stupid random turkeys/pheasant etc etc etc...

But you still get people riding brakes through S-Bends :dodge:

John
13th March 2006, 08:36
Yip totally agree. IMO good rider has the sense to know thier own limits and abide by them. And also know if they are pushing those limits a little to far.

Nah stop talking shit I am the best rider you all tongue my nuts.

N4CR
13th March 2006, 09:02

Nah ghost rider is. Homo.

TONO
13th March 2006, 09:14
What is the definition of a good Rider?

Well said Bruce, very thought provoking.:2thumbsup

DMNTD
13th March 2006, 09:24

Ya gotta ride ya bike before you can make a statement like that boy :hitcher:

Skyryder
15th March 2006, 17:55
A good rider is that, which a bad rider is not.

Skyryder

oldrider
15th March 2006, 18:46
What is the definition of a good Rider?[/COLOR][/B]

Wouldn't that depend on the definition of "good" and "rider" and what definition you then apply to the sum of them both?
Otherwise the field is too broad. Apples with apples etc.:shit:

I have always had a "good" day when I get home alive. John.

FROSTY
16th March 2006, 22:14
Ive been thinking about this a lot. How good you are as a rider I guess is decided by the standard you set yourself and who you are comparing yourself to.
I think I ride pretty well. Then i meet people like terry fitzgetrald and jason nairn -or more like fleetingly view.
So I want to be as good as them.

SixPackBack
16th March 2006, 22:34
A good rider....the inverse of JSG.

justsomeguy
16th March 2006, 22:53
A good rider....the inverse of JSG.

A complete skill-less nana compensating for God knows how much with a bike a million times more than he can handle........... SixPackBack.

SixPackBack
17th March 2006, 06:27
A complete skill-less nana compensating for God knows how much with a bike a million times more than he can handle........... SixPackBack.

You fucked up last night big time..again. Recieving yet another lambasting from senior members. Don't take it out on me dickhead accept you loose 50 IQ points every time the helmet go's on, listen to those that really know and change your ways. If you don't I guarantee one of the following will happen.
YOU WILL DIE.
YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM RIDES.
SOME ONE WILL LOOSE THIER TEMPER WITH YOU KICK YOUR BIKE OF ITS SIDE STAND AND START BEATING SOME SENSE INTO YOU.

Nicksta
18th March 2006, 10:33
Back to the topic at hand.......
I like that definition.... something practicle to adhere to...

MSTRS
18th March 2006, 11:07
Back to the topic at hand.......
I like that definition.... something practicle to adhere to...
Indeed....I think the definition of a good rider is one who never exceeds their ability to handle the current situation, at the same time not putting other's safety in jeopardy. ie push the boundaries of skill by all means, but always have a little something in reserve & don't expect other road users to make up the difference.

R6_kid
21st March 2006, 11:04
someone that has the skills, but only applies them when it is safe to do so?

i.e some that can ride 'fast' in twisties/corners/etc but knows when enough is enough or that things are getting out of hand and has the state of mind to back off rather than going hell for leather until its pavement vs leather.

and also someone that knows that they ALWAYS have something they can improve on and does their best to do so.

Finn
21st March 2006, 11:11
I think the definition of a good rider is a person that dies at a ripe age of natural causes.