PDA

View Full Version : riding gear

MikeL
10th March 2003, 14:46
Advice needed: what's the best value for money in good protective gear? At the moment I wear leather jacket, leather pants (most of the time but they're a bit tight and sometimes I can't be bothered and just wear jeans), old leather gloves and cheap helmet. I'm aware that I'm not as well protected as I should be. I suppose the first priority will be to upgrade the helmet - probably a Shoei unless someone can suggest better value for money? But also of concern is lack of body armour. Should I get separate armour to wear under my jacket, or replace the jacket? (I'm rather sentimentally attached to the jacket, I confess). If so, with what? Leather or synthetic? And what about pants? Where's the best place to go?
I've browsed among the racks at several bike shops but end up confused; advice from salespeople is not always trustworthy as I feel they just want either to move stock or sell what gives them the biggest profit margin. Any suggestions? :confused:

bluninja
10th March 2003, 15:34
Mike, personal protection on a bike is a very personal thing. Here's my view.

If I fall off my bike I want enough protection that I don't lose half my skin, and don't smash a joint falling onto the tarmac, or cave my face in. Nearly all the gear actually approved as safety equipment will cover you for this. Just be careful with the CE mark. You can have armour with the CE mark in a suit that is NOT.

It must be comfortable to wear. If it isn't I will 'forget' to put it on.

It must be easy to put on. If not I'll pop my jeans on instead:D

Leather v  Cordura(man made fabrics). Leather has the image, it also fits like a second skin, stopping you ballooning out in the wind, and holding the body armour in the right place during an impact. It isn't waterproof and once soaked takes a while to dry. Man made fabrics are typically waterproof, and have the advantage that they can be worn over the top of normal clothes. The armour is not held in position as well, and there is a view that the abrasion resistance may not be as good. Also, unless you get a leather seat on the pants, you may find yourself sliding about on the seat when you don't want to be(a la waterproof oversuit). You also don't need to maintain mand made fabrics as you do leather.

For touring, commuting I would recommend a good quality waterproof cordura 2 piece with CE body armour and detachable thermal lining (vents for the summer is also a good idea too. Make sure the jacket has a good system (zip/strap) to attach to trousers so that it doesn't slide up your back in a spill.

For those other times a 2 piece leather suit with armour.

Personally I use a seperate back protector. I have a dainese backspace, which has seen use 3 times and done the business. However it's bulky to carry round(or stow) when you get off the bike. Will probably look at one of those Knox back protectors that roll up for my next one.

For helmets, it's all about finding one that fits you...but you know this already. However be careful of some Nolan helmets...they have a pinlock system for a demister inner visor and you can't get a black visor insert. I have an old(retired) shoei and a Nolan X-lite. Both are comfortable and quiet. The other thing is to take your gloves and put them on to see if you can operate the visor and vents as you would on the bike.

TTFN

wari
10th March 2003, 15:44
That was a comprehensive account wannit ? ... good advice too ...

bikerboy
10th March 2003, 17:07
I think we should start a new thread entitled " Ask uncle ninja":D

MikeL
10th March 2003, 19:25
Thanks Bluninja for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and helpful reply. It's clarified a few things for me. I don't think the budget would stretch to two high-quality (read "expensive") outfits at least for the moment, so I'd have to opt for one or the other. I'm tempted to go for the leather but that leaves the problem of waterproofing. I already have a pair of plastic overpants and these keep my bottom half dry, but my leather jacket got soaked this afternoon as I rode home from work. I've bought some Sno-Seal to put on it but I suspect that's only a temporary solution. I saw a clear plastic rain over-jacket thingy for $99 which seems a rip-off for what you get, and it looks pretty naff, but it might be worth considering.
BTW any recommended place to get a good deal on leather??

bluninja
10th March 2003, 21:10
Well there was some nice supple leather on show at the Kumeu show....still attached to the heifer though:D

Sorry I'm not (yet) in the know about the best leather deals around NZ :p However I would suggest finding a few bikers that have crashed a few times and ask them how their leathers held up....then just go shopping around to get a good price on the suits that seem to do the job best.

TTFN

Slim
10th March 2003, 22:56
You need to buy the best that you can afford.

After 12 years of riding, I finally upgraded from my trusty black leather jacket & custom made leather trousers, to a 2 piece Hein Gericke suit with armour, purchased from their store in Manchester, England last year.

I spent a lot of time looking for 2-piece leather suits down here, traipsing around Hamilton & Auckland several times, and being VERY disappointed in the stock on offer, ie. next to nothing. :rolleyes: I found a good Technics suit in Khyber Pass, where the trousers fit perfectly, but the jacket was designed for some hulking, front-rower rugby player with a bull neck, who was about 6 inches longer in the upper body than me. :eek:

The market is too small down here to warrant shops holding a lot of leather in stock and there was certainly no option for mix & match jacket/trouser sizings.

If your jacket is a good grade leather, I'd go for a back protector underneath. Upgrade your trousers if they don't fit. You didn't mention boots ... If you haven't got decent, armoured motorcycle boots yet, get some! I've had great wear & accident protection from my Alpinestars (I'm on my 3rd pair in 12 years :D ).

When you upgrade your helmet, I wouldn't worry about make. You need to get a helmet that fits firmly (almost uncomfortably, actually, cos the padding will shape to your head) and has the features you require, at a price you can afford.

I'd hit Motomail one weekend and have a talk to them about what sort of deals they might be willing to do you - they're great guys & gals in there. :)

Waterproofing your current jacket: Snowseal is great. :D True! You need to warm your jacket up (I use my oven during the winter, or outside in the sun, especially if it's black, during the summer) and apply the snowseal while the leather is warm. It will soak into the leather & virtually disappear. APPLY MORE SNOWSEAL. Keep applying it until it doesn't soak in anymore & then buff off the excess. Your leather jacket will then be virtually waterproof, in the true sense of the word.

Good luck. :)

bluninja
11th March 2003, 07:19
Slim, we haven't mentioned gloves :D  btw helmet fit should be snug. If it's uncomfortably tight then the only way this eases is if the polystyrene gets compressed....ooops there's some protection gone when you need it to squish. Also it will be annoying and uncomfortable until it does settle and that takes away some of your concentration. Unless we are talking foam cheekpads that can be replaced or removed.

The helmet must not come over the head with the strap in place, it should not move around your head when you shake it sideways or nod. Lastly if you place your hand on the front and push the helmet back to your face it shouldn't move so your face is up against the inside of the front (you should always have a gap between your chin and the front of a closed face).....otherwise wind pressure will just push it back as you ride, and it won't provide protection to your jaw in an accident. The chin piece has little padding and protects your face by transferring the energy elsewhere in the helmet, or deforming. If your chin is touching it just transfers straight through.

In terms of boots I would rate the Daytona touring boots (tough as nails, comfortable, last for ever), and the Sidi Vertebrae which are pretty damn good protection in a spill. But that's more because these boots fit me, whereas some of the others are too narrow for my fat feet. I have wrecked 2 sets of JTS leathers (as far as insurance was concerned), one set were cut off after my RTA. They are cheap and cheerful, but saved my skin on 2 occasions and they do mail order. Talking of suits not fitting...why not get the suit you want that's a bit too big and take it to someone like Kerry at MSW and have it altered to fit you? Gives you more choice and certainly helps with mail order.

TTFN

MikeL
11th March 2003, 10:51
Thanks for all the info. I've got some reasonable boots so that's not a priority at the moment. Got home last night (wet), dried out the jacket, heated it up and put almost a whole tube of Snowseal on it, following the instructions. This morning though I chickened out, left the bike and jacket at home and took the bus to work (first time this year). And I still got wet because the bloody bus leaked! Water was pouring in through a badly sealed vent.
Any Auckland members on their bike today???
I'll follow up various suggestions, e.g Motomail and MSW re leathers.
Thanks again.

Coldkiwi
11th March 2003, 11:15
Aye.. came into the city from howick at 6:15 this morning and got thoroughly pissed on the entire way!! Road spray, foggy visor, and heavy rain.. oh joy.

So bad that I had to follow the car tail lights and hope they could see where they were going! No fun at all. It was so bad I even got water dripping off my visor chin, up under my collar and down my shirt and that's never happened before despite riding every day.

But on the gear front: I brought a pvc/nylon WFO 1pce rain oversuit before the last track day and it does a fantastic job! No leaks anywhere! I got it big enough to wear my normal leathers under it (they keep me warm too), so I only got some leakage in my boots and wet hands (the Spidi Hypers are good but not invulnerable to that much water!).

rain, cars and dark... sodding Auckland weather

:argh:

wari
11th March 2003, 13:42
Yep, rode to work this marning ... far right hand lane on the motorway, truck doing the same coming from the other direction (on the other side of the median barrier mind)  ... got showered with a torrent of water as the truck passed thru a (I'm guessing here) giant puddle . marvellous !

MikeL
11th March 2003, 13:54
Coldkiwi
Where didya get your oversuit from and how much?
I'm sitting here looking out the window hoping it keeps pissing down so I don't feel bad about not riding to work today... :p

Skunk
11th March 2003, 17:06
I'll throw my oposing opinion in here:

I have leathers and a Spidi NT suit. Leathers to commute and Spidi for longer trips.

The Spidi is waterproof, comfortable, has zip out liner in jacket and pants and is armoured. The armour is firmly held in place (elbows, shoulders, back, hips, knees/shins) and the wind doesn't cause ballooning. To ensure there is a tight fit it has velco strap adjusters everywhere. Oh, and zippered vents.

I haven't been down the road in it, but have seen the same jacket and a pair of leather pants after a friend went down at 120kph (on chip seal). Leathers were worn (buggered) but did their job, jacket was ok but caused a minor burn to the forearm. (He said this was because he was laying on it instead of on his back.)

Cost: much the same as a GOOD set of leathers. $1500. Remember that it gives you your wet weather, summer and winter riding gear.

You just look like a BMW owner :D

Coldkiwi
12th March 2003, 11:42
I had a flick through the Barry's Pt rd bike shops and found the cheapest one was at Leading Edge for $120. Very helpful guys with good advice and good prices too. I'd recommend them

wkid_one
16th March 2003, 12:35
I'm much the same - leathers for scratching and generally thrashing the beejesus out of the bike (read:  when I could fall off) and synthetics for when it is wet/casual ride/touring etc.

When you are taking a trip to the mall etc you can't be fanged putting on leathers (esp in Summer) so a synth. jacket is ideal.......

What?
17th March 2003, 06:06
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Aye.. came into the city from howick at 6:15 this morning and got thoroughly pissed on the entire way!! Road spray, foggy visor, and heavy rain.. oh joy.

No need for foggy visors. For $30 you can get a Fog City visor insert - it is a thin film which adheres to the inside of your visor. You will need a new visor for it to stick properly, and take some care to make sure it is dry when installing. I have been using them for something like 12 or 15 years now and would not be without one (except on my Nolan, which takes a clip-in insert, enabling a quick change from clear to dark).

As for gloves, in winter I wear Spidi AL3. These are totally waterproof and very warm. Too warm for this time of year. In summer, I rely on snowseal to help keep the mitts dry.

I also have a PVC oversuit made by Jet Leathers. Costs about $100, does not leak, is light weight so rolls up small and comes with a replacement gaurantee for IF it does leak. Can't go wrong.:)

boris
17th March 2003, 08:20
A good place to pick up ceap leather jackets is cash converters. I got mine for $40 an old AGV one,Had to sew up two pockets,that i would not have  used anyway.I have one of flash  touring jacket things tooA Clover .But over summer it was to hot to ware.I do know leather dose work well in a crash.Ten+years ago I Fell of at about 120k the speed normaly got threw the corner at,this time it didn't stick,slid down the road but i was wearing my rain gear ,which was riped to bits, over my leathers and still managed to put a small  hole in the leather and a red graze on my arm about the size of a five cent bit.

Boris

Coldkiwi
17th March 2003, 12:15
I'd recommend looking through The Budget Shop in Onehunga Mall. That place has the biggest range of leather jackets (yes, more than motomail) at incredbily good prices considering how well built they are. (Try from $250 for a brand new jacket thick leather, with a contoured cut, padded rolls etc!)

definitely worth looking at and I'd wager it would come out best value for money

wkid_one
17th March 2003, 12:33
My best advice - if buying new - buy tight.  All jackets and trou give.  You want the armour to be HARD AGAINST your impact points - if there is a gap, they can actually cause more damage.  A gap between the armour and body can actually still see the bone break before the armour does........just something to be aware of - especially if buying leather.

Coldkiwi
18th March 2003, 12:47
Mike,

on the helmet side of things, I picked up a KBC helmet last year quite cheaply from Mt Eden and have been very happy with it.Well made, flush visor and good seals (don't underestimate the need for good seals)and nice graphics for $400. The Nex range that some stores (Mt Eden, Cycletreads and I think Leading Edge have them that I've seen) are stocking now is also good looking and similar quality.

I saw some really good deals on the Shark range at Mt Eden as well last week if you want to spend a few hundred more and get a top quality good helmet.

wkid_one
18th March 2003, 13:33
On the subject of skidlids - KIWI are back in to producing helmets, ask around - these are excellent quality well priced kit

MikeL
18th March 2003, 14:10
Thanks for all the info. There's plenty here to keep me busy. I'll have a browse in Motomail this weekend and also check out that Budget shop in Onehunga (just down the road from where I live - how come I didn't notice it before??). I actually picked up my current jacket, leather pants and boots from Cash Converters - good prices but apart from jackets not a lot of choice. I'll also go and talk to the people at Mt Eden - I've bought a couple of things for my bike from them and been impressed by their friendly and efficient manner. (Will find out about their service department next week as I've booked my bike in for a 30,000k service).
Thanks for all the advice.

Suzi Q
29th March 2004, 21:55
Also Check out Colemans - got my Clover Jacket from them - they sent it down to CHCH for me.
I wish there was a decent amount of Ladies gear - there is more now than in the past, but still not enough choice in CHCH!

Lou Girardin
30th March 2004, 07:10
Thanks for all the info. There's plenty here to keep me busy. I'll have a browse in Motomail this weekend and also check out that Budget shop in Onehunga (just down the road from where I live - how come I didn't notice it before??). I actually picked up my current jacket, leather pants and boots from Cash Converters - good prices but apart from jackets not a lot of choice. I'll also go and talk to the people at Mt Eden - I've bought a couple of things for my bike from them and been impressed by their friendly and efficient manner. (Will find out about their service department next week as I've booked my bike in for a 30,000k service).
Thanks for all the advice.

PM me MikeL, I may be able to help, but I can't promote AMPS on this site.
Lou

MikeL
30th March 2004, 07:58
PM me MikeL, I may be able to help, but I can't promote AMPS on this site.
Lou
Thanks Lou. My original post was over a year ago, and since then I've upgraded almost everything, so am fairly well set up (my recent oops proved the effectiveness of my gear in preventing anything more serious than a broken collarbone). I've got 2 helmets - the one I was wearing when I crashed has a broken visor hinge and some deep gouges in the shell so I'll need to replace that but there's no hurry - I'll wait until there are some special deals going.

aff-man
30th March 2004, 08:11
Look at mt eden they have sharks for $500 (only fibre glass not carbon) but still bloody good as well as some other deals.

SPman
30th March 2004, 08:30
Look at mt eden they have sharks for $500 (only fibre glass not carbon) but still bloody good as well as some other deals.
Red Baron had HJC AC10's for $499 - Carbon Kevlar

phil_elvey
30th March 2004, 21:19
IMPORTANT: (I am about to start a thread to this so you can read it there as well, but...) I just received today a set of Dainese leathers that I brought over the internet from a Co called Motorace (www.motorace.com). They are awesome! 2-pc black suit with all the armour (real decent stuff, too) and they look the shit. The whole lot cost me $1100! Hundreds less than if I had gone to buy a suit of similar quality here in NZ. As you can probably guess, I am stoked.

With helmets, I just got a new HJC AC-11 helmet and are very pleased with it. It has a cool mouth guard sort of thing that directs your breath down out of the helmet (and away from the visor) to lessen the visor fogging up. Definately helps. I saw a Shoei for a reasonable price and thought "Choice, a chance to own the best" but tried it on and didn't like it, no matter what size it was, so you just have to try the different brands on to see what one fits your head.

With gloves - here in maritime mediteranian NZ, you need definately need two pairs of gloves (summer and winter), trying to ride in winter in a half-pie pair of gloves just causes pain and frustration, and going out for a sporty ride on a summers day in inch thick gloves will cause a bit of cursing also.

Hope this helps