PDA

View Full Version : Papamoa and back

vifferman
13th March 2006, 09:46
Not much of a report - no pix, and just a few observations.
On Saturday, the vifferbabe and I did our first ride together for a while, partly to go and visit her parents in Papamoa (her Dad is really ill) and partly as a shake-down ride for our cruise around Northland at Easter.
The vifferbabe is getting much better at throwing all the gear on: I used to have to help her zip her pants and jacket together (I'd hold the zip, while she rotated), and if she didn't put things on in the right order, she'd have to start again. Also, I think her gear's getting more pliant, so if she doesn't put her boots on first, it's not an issue as she can now bend over to reach them.

Despite much fiddling around with the intercom, it still crackles badly above 90 km/h, and because the vifferbabe's helmet lining isn't removable, she can't have the headphones inside the padding like I can, so they hurt her ears (the foam presses her ears against her glasses). So, the intercom's been relegated to the back of the bike gear cupboard, and we're "having regular and more frequent stops to talk and stretch our legs". OK then...

The sheepskin seat-cover was not the success I'd hoped for, as it made the edges of the seat fatter, putting more pressure against the seam in my leathers and making things more uncomfortable. So it was relegated to the backpack on the way home.

However, despite these niggles, and 17,235,498 insects throwing themselves at the VifFerraRi and my visor, the ride was very good. We went via the Karanagahake Gorge, and managed to enjoy it, despite the 80 km/h limit (what limit? Sorry, I didn't see the signs, Oroficer - they weren't there last time I drove this way... :spudwhat: ) and having to follow a line of cars. We took the Old Tauranga Road, bypassing Waihi, and the only car we saw pulled over to let us past. What a lovely ride! :niceone:

We returned on Sunday the same way (sans sheepskin and intercom, and with a click less preload / more damping on the rear shock), except we turned off at Hotel du Vin to visit my sisters in Ararimu, then took Great South Road as far as we could before 'slabbing it'.

The only thing that bugged me on the ride (part from the bugs) was the stupid double yellow lines that seem to be proliferating everywhere. That's bad enough, but the rumble strips make things even crapper. Luckily, I found that using "road pyschology" and adopting a 'predatory' position on the road (close-ish and to the right of cars we were following), most of them pulled over and let us past. Not that we were in a hurry, but when following cars headed into a westerly wind across the Hauraki Plains it created nasty turbulence that I was keen to get out of.

Cajun
14th March 2006, 08:23
Yeah the double yellow lines, pretty much go from tauranga to the gorge, it feels at times, with very limited places to pass. Thats why now i perfer riding sh27 from akl to tga.

If ya budget can streach let us know next time you down, we can have a custom seat turned around, in space of a weekend if needed. Since i know ya bike is your only ride mate. If we know a touch in advance