PDA

View Full Version : A reverse zen moment in the Waiarapa

sugilite
13th March 2006, 11:20
Picture this.....
It is a Saturday, the sun is shining, there is a light cooling breeze at your back, your straddled over a motorcycle, it's motor revving purposefully beneath you. Ahead lies some A Grade New Zealand Back road, near 7 kilometers of fast yet winding road in excellent condition climbing it's way up over 1000 meters.
Lying in wait are a team of dedicated race supporters, marshal class ones, all are armed with radios. Their sworn mission is to look after your well being and enhance your enjoyment.
Over in the pits, a dedicated team of organizers are doing everything they can to keep your day running smooth enabling to you get maximum enjoyment. for heavens sake, they even feed you!
How much would one pay to get all of that package deal? Well, Try a positively anemic $30!!!
Welcome to the Cliff Hanger hill climb event.
Don't let the name put you off, this road is as smooth and safe as any other NZ back road, the cliff hanger corner is the slowest and widest corner on the 27 corner run and the natural racing line takes you away from the cliff face, in short if you were actually stupid enough to find a way to crash over the edge, you have just done humanities gene pool a great service.

The starter kicks off the count down, snapping me back into focus, I close my visor and click the bike into gear.
The road is closed, there is no traffic, no police, It is just me, my bike and the hill, without even a rival riding partner to distract me from my mission. It is only a practice day, though they are timing us just to satisfy our own curiosity.
The countdown is getting lower, I close my visor and click the bike into gear.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Go!!!!
I start off at about 5000 revs, feeding the gas to the 998CC Muzzy equipped ZXR superbike, I short shift through the 1st three gears the front wheel just skipping a few inches of the road, the rear tyre is tearing at the stone chip in it's never ending quest for traction, while I'm busy hooking 4th, 5th and finally 6th, the rev counter needle swings it's eager way towards reline, The ram air assisted intake growl combined with the gruff howl from the Akropovic exhaust create a adrenaline rushing symphony of sound.
I leave my braking as late as I dare, my speed in excess of 270 km h, I click it down one gear and prepare to throw her in, at this point, ones concentration is maxed out, everything is seemingly happening at once, all your senses are being assaulted but then from out of the blue..... I have one of those reverse Zen moments. (insert Record scratch sound here)
Reverse Zen is where you are transported outside of time and space, but you get questions instead of answers....
Questions like.... why was I one of only about 15 or so riders smart enough to actually do this event?
How come a dirt bike event can get over 1000 riders to come to Desert Storm and this event, (which I would view as the road riding equal of desert Storm) only sees a storm in a fucking tea cup?
How can we have a bike riding Mayor (no slouch either, i went up behind him on Sundays 1st sighting run) who supports the race to the hilt and a dedicated band of organizers willing to put in sweat and blood and their own money, then add in that OUTSTANDING road to run the event on, but no riders to actually support it???

What the hell is wrong with these apathetic road bike riders. I know they are out there, I've seen the registration figures, do they all just have bikes for fucking pose value at the cafe's? Sell your bikes tossers and hang your heads in shame....leave those bikes in the shop for real riders to buy, You know, the ones that know how to live life.

Uncle B
13th March 2006, 11:31
Will be holding my head up high next year.

limbimtimwim
13th March 2006, 11:33
I went to watch, I admit I was there late at about 12:30, went up the hill, spotted a reasonable place to park (There was a BMW parked there also), went back down, toodled off, came back, and the ambo had gone and the towel had been thrown in.

I should have got there earlier.

But yes, it is shameful.

sugilite
13th March 2006, 11:36
Your the last person to hang ya head Uncle.
Nurturing the newbies is a most noble deed!
Giving your time up for them is awesome and I bet they learnt a shitload about riding from you on the ride you led them on...
I look forward to seeing ya up there having fun next year!

sugilite
13th March 2006, 11:40
On ya for doing the ride over limbimtimwim.

skelstar
13th March 2006, 11:54
Good on ya for doing it. To be honest I scare myself relatively silly at legal speeds on roads like that. Im just not a racer...wish I had the balls to be.

Came to watch but the cupboard was bare.

sugilite
13th March 2006, 14:51
You should think about entering on the Saturday next year, you do not have to be a racer to enjoy this. Think of it as a safe environment, as in no traffic n that. You will be free to just relax and explore riding without those distractions. I'd bet you would learn heaps!

skelstar
13th March 2006, 14:54
You are right. I was feeling quite Ill this Saturday :whistle:.

N4CR
13th March 2006, 15:29
Let me guess this wasn't around Auckland? If there is something similar this way i'd love to know....:crybaby:

kiwifruit
13th March 2006, 15:35
nice report suglite
yes, im a pussy *hangs head in shame*
next year prehaps my balls will have grown

Motoracer
13th March 2006, 15:50
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

I had been waiting since March 2005 for this event and yet again I missed out...

FFS! I'm gutted as...

P.S. Nice report man!

Kickaha
13th March 2006, 17:20
What the hell is wrong with these apathetic road bike riders. I know they are out there, I've seen the registration figures, do they all just have bikes for fucking pose value at the cafe's? Sell your bikes tossers and hang your heads in shame....leave those bikes in the shop for real riders to buy, You know, the ones that know how to live life.

Because it's easier to pretend you're fast on the road and on internet forums than go to an event like this and find out you're really slow as fuck:laugh:

Hope to run the sidecar at this next year:2thumbsup

Slingshot
13th March 2006, 17:43
I know a guy that broke both ankles a couple of years back and I'm not sure that I have the self control to not push it beyond my abilities. A track day is one thing, a timed fun day adds the element of "I must beat my last time" or "I can't believe he/she beat me, I'm not gonna let that happen again"

Next year maybe.

Yes, I am a pussy!

beyond
13th March 2006, 19:07
AAwww Sugilite, you never finsihd the story and it's nearly bedtime :(

Well then, what was your time, tell us what it went like blah blah :)

sugilite
13th March 2006, 19:11
Hehehe, this thread was more a comment on support for this event.
My Gladstone Cliff Hanger race report can be found on the following thread....
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=540727#post540727 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=540727#post54072
7) I think of it more as the "Nut cracker" report!

aff-man
13th March 2006, 19:38
Yeh is there something like this up here in auckers... I may not be the fastest but It sure sounds like fun... Do you just get 1 run... whats the deal?

sugilite
13th March 2006, 20:35
Saturday practise I got 8 runs!!!
Sunday, I got 2 sighting runs and 2 timed runs before the rain stopped play about midday. so yeah, you get a heaps of runs!
Let me know if the Auckland one is a decent length, I would definitly consider doing it.

Uncle B
13th March 2006, 20:40
Your the last person to hang ya head Uncle.
Nurturing the newbies is a most noble deed!
Giving your time up for them is awesome and I bet they learnt a shitload about riding from you on the ride you led them on...
I look forward to seeing ya up there having fun next year!
Thanks man
Your on for next year....... I'll be the newbie learning a thing or two if your up for the challenge.
Until then :niceone:

Madness
13th March 2006, 21:21
I had to work. I hate that.
Close off the Rimutaka Hill for a day and I'll resign!!:scooter:

aff-man
13th March 2006, 21:46
Saturday practise I got 8 runs!!!
Sunday, I got 2 sighting runs and 2 timed runs before the rain stopped play about midday. so yeah, you get a heaps of runs!
Let me know if the Auckland one is a decent length, I would definitly consider doing it.

Is there an auckland one???? If anyone knows give us a yell definatley sounds up my alley.

sugilite
13th March 2006, 23:24
I had to work. I hate that.
Close off the Rimutaka Hill for a day and I'll resign!!:scooter:

I have dreamed of them building a tunnel through the takas and making the exsisting road a bikes only one that can be closed for hill climbs any old time lol:yeah: