PDA

View Full Version : Paekakariki Hill road speed limit

svs
14th April 2004, 16:10
On the radio (2XX) this morning.

Following a motorcycle accident last sunday (just north of Pautanui, rider was airlifted to Wellington hospital) the Hill road was closed for about 3 hours. As a result the Porirua council are discussing imposing 50km and 80km speed limits on the road.

They didn't say where or how this is actually going to help things....

Hope they don't spoil the only decent bit of road that I live near :thud:

White trash
14th April 2004, 16:15
I read it in the paper today as well!

What the fuck is wrong with people? Couldn't possibly be all the fucken gravel and dirt left from trucks working on the road further up! No way!

Motorcyclist. Accident. Airlifted, "Ah, speed was the contributing factor here! How clever of us, let's reduce the speed limit and protect these fools from themselves. Make a buck in the process." :angry2:

Deano
14th April 2004, 16:40

What the fuck is wrong with people? Couldn't possibly be all the fucken gravel and dirt left from trucks working on the road further up! No way!

Motorcyclist. Accident. Airlifted, "Ah, speed was the contributing factor here! How clever of us, let's reduce the speed limit and protect these fools from themselves. Make a buck in the process." :angry2:

Reducing the speed limit will do nothing to stop "those people" who wish to travel fast on that road. Are they going to Police it more regularly - I have seen a cop with laser at the end of the long tarsealed straight on the Pauatahanui side, but only once....ever. :Police:

It may receive some more patrols now with the media highlighting it, especially if residents pick up on it and complain as well. I was coming back from the coast on Sat night and there were a few boy racers hooning up and down - must have been pretty loud. Its a wonder the residents don't get pissed off.

Personally I reckon the road should be closed off once a month for motorbike time trials... :scooter:

Wenier
14th April 2004, 16:54
its like their speed limit proposal for tawa jus gotta hope it dont happen cus that would suck. theres heaps of crashes that happen anyway so theres no point in trying to slow people down cus it jus wont happen!

Motu
14th April 2004, 17:04

Uh....HELLO???? you ride at speed on these roads without a plan,or a Kenny Roberts packet on the wall if you come across less than perfect road conditions...you better book the chopper early.I have NO time for people who blame road conditions or some other trumped up reason for being caught unaware,it's something you learn in the first fucking week!

Hitcher
14th April 2004, 17:22
If they're going to "police" the Paekak hill road, they'll need some of those new-fangled hidden cameras -- I'm not sure where you'd be able to park a patrol car on most of this road! As for the speed restrictions, as long as they only apply them to the bits where you can only go 50 or 80kmh that will suit me just fine!

Agree with you 100% WT about gravel. I've had brown undies a couple of times catching gravel on the hill road. This is worst on the Paekak side but there are a couple of corners on the Pauatanui side where gravel can be a concern as well.

The most dangerous creatures on this road too (while I am fully astride this hobby horse) are boy racers who don't know how to drive, and pricks in four-wheel-drives who don't know how to keep left!

*Dismounts hobby horse, returns it to stable*

mangell6
14th April 2004, 17:24
Uh....HELLO???? you ride at speed on these roads without a plan,or a Kenny Roberts packet on the wall if you come across less than perfect road conditions...you better book the chopper early.I have NO time for people who blame road conditions or some other trumped up reason for being caught unaware,it's something you learn in the first fucking week!

Motu - It was SPEED that caused the accident not the ability of the rider/driver to recognise road conditions, etc. Ask anyone at the LTSA they will tell you. :Pokey:

80km would be to fast for a large number of people on that road, imagine taking some of those corners at that speed, especially at the top where it opens out and you have a lovely view of Kapiti Island.

Mike

merv
14th April 2004, 19:29
Speed limit reductions, creeping yellow lines and all that stuff. Who the hell are the control freaks that think we need protecting by controlling what we do?

So many roads that I remember as a good ride way back have had their 100 zones limited and all because the odd dickhead decided to crash on them.

Yep I don't reckon the control freaks will be happy until we are all safely cocooned in public transport. Must be the greenies that are winning here, but mind you what they are probably on best they are being driven by someone else.

sedge
14th April 2004, 20:38
I've seen cops hiding in the bushes at Battle Hill park ( the end of the straight just before the hill), lucky I was stuck in traffic that time, I take it easy there now.

I went over the it tonight on the way home, there's some BIG freaking rocks in the road on the way up, gotta work on my target fixation issues. Heh heh.

Saw someone else at the top out for a blat on their Suzuki, howdy if you're here.

I'd hate the limit to change, that would leave nowhere for me to go, P.North road is toast, Takas are shot... Actually there is one good road still open on the way home... You'll have to guess.

Sedge.

jimbo600
14th April 2004, 21:38
I've seen cops hiding in the bushes at Battle Hill park ( the end of the straight just before the hill), lucky I was stuck in traffic that time, I take it easy there now.

I went over the it tonight on the way home, there's some BIG freaking rocks in the road on the way up, gotta work on my target fixation issues. Heh heh.

Saw someone else at the top out for a blat on their Suzuki, howdy if you're here.

I'd hate the limit to change, that would leave nowhere for me to go, P.North road is toast, Takas are shot... Actually there is one good road still open on the way home... You'll have to guess.

Sedge.

Hey Sedge it was me on the hill earlier. Pretty cool sunset aye? I just put on a Metzeler Z6 tyre and was seeing what it felt like, all a bit gingerly as it's brand new and I hate crashing. A few weeks back I posted a comment about some twat in a car on my side of the road going over paekak' hill. Well it appears that the accident the other day was caused by another prat on the wrong side of the road ploughing into a bike coming the other way. You can see the lines put down by the crash investigation snakes. Lowering the speed will not protect against fuckwits. I think from now on I'll only feed it the jandle over paekak' hill early in the morning while I still have a hardon and the road is quiet.

Marknz
14th April 2004, 21:45
I think from now on I'll only feed it the jandle over paekak' hill early in the morning while I still have a hardon and the road is quiet.

So you'll still be pretty close to the tank then huh? :finger:

jimbo600
14th April 2004, 21:54
So you'll still be pretty close to the tank then huh? :finger:

Yup, beacause I would have indulged in a bit of self gratification before hoping on the gixxer. Lowers blood pressure you know. :o

shafty
14th April 2004, 23:20
Agree again Hitcher Et Al; how are they goin to 1.) Spin a car around to chase you, or 2.) get a Laser fix on ya ? --at least you'll have a chance the fang off to get ya $$ worth if they do!!

I love NZ, but really guys, don't ya think it's SO POLITICALLY CORRECT it is starting to suck? Yet push bike riders can go without helemts all over, car drivers regularly flaunt seat belt laws (pisses me off cos I pay their ACC) yet if a Biker rode past w/out a lid they'd be stuffed.

Lets make it an election issue!! :mad:

LB
15th April 2004, 06:08
Most cars and car drivers would be hard pressed to be able to do more than about 80kph over most of the hill road, so lowering the speed limit is ludicrous for most of the Joe Car Drivers. Some car drivers seem to only be able to manage 40-50kph (if you're shit scared of narrow winding roads, WTF would you drive on them by choice???)

We travel over on occasional Sunday afternoons in the car coming back from up north. We often get stuck behind 4x4's and cars who regularly cross the centreline on righthanders. Thank god there's not been a motorcyclist or car coming the other way at the time.

( :Offtopic: one day a year or so ago we were in the car coming down the Paraparas, and came up behind a huge 4x4 that we were stuck behind for well over 20kms. He crossed the centreline on every single right-hander. Also on some of the double yellow line straights he was straddling the dble yellow lines. We took heaps of photos which clearly showed the rego, and sent them off to the Police with a letter. We were sent a reply that basically said "fuck off". If that 4x4 had have met a car or bike coming the other way, the result would have been dreadful.)

Hamish reckons the rocks are on the Paekak Hill road now because when they resealed the Pakak side, they did away with the gutter on the hill side of the road, so now when the rocks fall, instead of having a chance of being caught in the gutter, they roll onto the road. I think he's right, because the rocks/stones seem to have been far worse since the resealing.

I always ride this road with plenty of reserve. There's often horses/riders around at the weekends too.

I like the road, and if we're ever on SH1 coming back from up north on our bikes, that's always the way we come home. (in the car also)

James Deuce
15th April 2004, 06:28
I wouldn't have a problem with the speed limit being dropped, as it may reduce the number of "Oh my god he's on my side of the road" moments I've had on the Paekak hill road.

Lou Girardin
15th April 2004, 06:46
Ditto to that Lynda and Hitcher. The number of 4W Driving morons around at present is bloody scary. But why do the LTSA and Police ignore the problem?
More voting power than bikers maybe or perhaps many of them are Labour voting demographic.
Lou
PS I know what it is! They can write 3 speed tickets for every failing to keep left.

boris
15th April 2004, 08:15
the only speeding ticket a have got on my sv was on paekak hill road, I had only had the sv for a few weeks at the time and did know the noise of 100kph,it was like,is that a cop look down oh poo i'm speeding (115kph). lucky?. because a boy racer had crashed his car over the bank I would have crashed into the fire truck or tow truck that was cleaning up, they had no signs up and the cop my side had left,he gave me the ticket.But that is the only time i have seen a blue and white.Back in the 80s the local (Pram) cop, did the rider traning for cops over the Hutt somewere.His cop bike was a white GSK750ES (he had a FJ1200 for himself never when over 100 :niceone: ).He used to come home that way,Normaly before me.I have been going over in my car going over i have nearly hit bikes that over the middle.

Boris

Storm
28th August 2004, 14:06
I'm thinking that most folks dont hold a steady speed of 100 kph over that road. I have been riding that road for a while now and there are still corners that I throw the picks out for

toads
28th August 2004, 15:21
Ditto to that Lynda and Hitcher. The number of 4W Driving morons around at present is bloody scary. But why do the LTSA and Police ignore the problem?
More voting power than bikers maybe or perhaps many of them are Labour voting demographic.
Lou
PS I know what it is! They can write 3 speed tickets for every failing to keep left.

Although there may be a lot of 4wd driving idiots out there where you live, there have been recommendations made to the ltsa that a special licence class is created for owners/drivers of 4wd's, based on the recent accidents/deaths involving them lately. I for one am pissed off about this proposal and here's why. We have a 4wd hiace van, it's only ever in 4wd to pull our boat up out of the water when nessecery, the rest of the time it's in 2wd, if more laws and regulations must be brought in and enforced, it should be that only people with a normal IQ should be allowed to have a licence for any vehicle, no brains, no licence, bring in a law that makes idiocy illegal, I'm sick of laws being made because a small percentage are stupid.

Pickle
28th August 2004, 18:09
Typical Officialdom Knee Jerk reaction - some fuck wit crashes , reaction speed must be involved so lower the speed limit that'l fix the problem.

Has absolutely nothing to do with bad driving or riding, crossing yellow lines, road conditions, looking at the view and crossing the centre line ( kapiti killer highway springs to mind ), being frustrated sitting behind some fuckwit doing 50k's on the open road and the 6 vehicles behind it not passing.
How many times have you been on this piece of road following some old crusties and they are looking at the sea ( like they've never seen it before ) wobbling all over the road doing 50km/h. Lowering the speed limit on this piece of road will not do a thing as that is what everyone travells at anyway.

When we lived in Aussie all the good roads ( those with corners )had the speed limit reduced and double yellows everywhere because some dick head crashed on it, some one carved up Granny going to Church on Sunday and the fact most Aussies don't know how to go round corners at any speed - lower the speed limit that'l save everyone from themselves. I hate to say it but this seems to be the way NZ is going.

Maybe licencing laws need to be toughened up and you need to be able to prove that you can drive in a reasonable manner on all types of road before you get a licence.

OK that's my opinion you may not agree and I dont give a FUCK so there :mad:

JohnBoy
29th August 2004, 21:53
i moved from the K C to Hamilton to study road design and construction and i must say that is one of the best pieces of road in the region. i have had many mates have accidents up there and yes one serious but it comes down to the fact that shit happens!! you build a long twisty road out in the country spend stupid amounts of money on bitumen sealing and expect no one to drive fast??
everyone knows that a good biker has come off atleast a few times in his life so why try and prevent it, its how we learn the limits of riding! atleast it happend on a back road and not down centennial drive!!

wkid_one
29th August 2004, 22:11
While I am not riding they should reduce the limit to 20kph....that way I won't get pissed off when passed by bikers in the car (and Jimbo most likely wouldn't have crashed)

wkid_one
29th August 2004, 22:13
i moved from the K C to Hamilton to study road design and construction and i must say that is one of the best pieces of road in the region.
Best pieces of road for what? It changes from Bitumen to Asphalt, has corrogations in the corners, in some sections isn't very wide and doesn't dry out in winter. Think again mate......it isn't a fantastic road for bikes......it is only because we have limited options

sedge
30th August 2004, 08:57
Last year I especially liked the way they sealed it all nicely one week and then Saturn came along and dug a trench on the riding line all through it to lay their cable the next week :(

Deano
30th August 2004, 09:41
Last year I especially liked the way they sealed it all nicely one week and then Saturn came along and dug a trench on the riding line all through it to lay their cable the next week :(

One particular corner has the cable trench running right through the apex and fucks up my line every time.

Mongoose
30th August 2004, 09:49
A lot of these speed limits being touted for, are they the end result of Gov. making Local bodies more accountable? ie Change it from Central Gov to Local Gov there by the Central Gov, can not be held responsible.
It is also Local Body elections this year.

dhunt
30th August 2004, 10:04
One particular corner has the cable trench running right through the apex and fucks up my line every time.Is that what that was all about. I thought it was a funny bit of road works. Mucks that corner all up.

I'll have to say that was the only bit of road that makes the trip to wellington worth while. Reducing the speed limit wont stop anything just annoy everyone. It's all the nutters in cages that can't read the line in the middle of the road that you are supposed to stay left of that cause all the problems.

David

Hitcher
30th August 2004, 10:16
One particular corner has the cable trench running right through the apex and fucks up my line every time.
I know well that corner and resealed trench. In fact coming down through the cutting is exciting because of the stepped edge from said trench. People who patch highways don't ride bikes...

Blakamin
30th August 2004, 10:28
People who patch highways don't ride bikes...

I dont think they even drive cars, judging by some of the messes they make! :mad:
especially kapiti road-wreckers.... oops, i meant road-makers! ;)

spudchucka
30th August 2004, 10:33
, bring in a law that makes idiocy illegal, I'm sick of laws being made because a small percentage are stupid.
Making stupidity an arrestable offence....... yes please. Shit I'd have some fun at work then!!

James Deuce
30th August 2004, 10:50
Making stupidity an arrestable offence....... yes please. Shit I'd have some fun at work then!!

Especially as everyone is stupid at some point! It's a "human" thing.

Hitcher
30th August 2004, 11:39
Especially as everyone is stupid at some point! It's a "human" thing.
On this basis I would currently be doing some serious time behind bars...

JohnBoy
31st August 2004, 17:04
whos whining about a cable in the ground? its small as, it never moves and at the end of the day who cares if you get a little rear slide? keeps you honest.
that road is a million times better than any road in the waikato. roads up here are caked in shite, pot holes open up randomly everywhere and lines are painted using about 10 litres per mm^2!

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 17:44
whos whining about a cable in the ground? its small as, it never moves and at the end of the day who cares if you get a little rear slide? keeps you honest.
that road is a million times better than any road in the waikato. roads up here are caked in shite, pot holes open up randomly everywhere and lines are painted using about 10 litres per mm^2!

You been on it lately??

If it was that good, the cobra replica that went up it on saturday might not have crashed into the bank and burst into flames!
and that was one "well setup" car!
I saw it today, (when the owner saw it for the first time) on a tow truck, shortly bound for the tip!
may it RIP

Kickaha
31st August 2004, 18:20
You been on it lately??

If it was that good, the cobra replica that went up it on saturday might not have crashed into the bank and burst into flames!
and that was one "well setup" car!
I saw it today, (when the owner saw it for the first time) on a tow truck, shortly bound for the tip!
may it RIP

So it was the roads fault that he crashed and burned?

When I went over it a few months ago i found it ok,but then I wasn't using it as a racetrack. :whistle:

Sparky Bills
31st August 2004, 18:29
I ride over it every day!!!
I know where every dip and cranny is. The only dangerous thing on that hill is the bloody idiots who cut corners and try to go faster than the person behind them. Doesnt matter if you are on a bike or in a car, DONT CUT THE CORNERS AND IF SOMEONE IS WANTING TO GET PAST, LET THEM!!
Many times I have had some tosser in a wanked up super car try to beat me. They gun it on the straights and slow right down on the corners. This is the kind of person who courses crashes, and need to learn to let people past. I know you should not go too fast anywhere on any road.. but if someone wants to, WHO ARE YOU TO STOP THEM??
next time any of you go over the hill, take it easy and just take note of the real condition of the road. Its not actually that bad.
Thats my opinion anyway. :banana:

Blakamin
31st August 2004, 18:30
So it was the roads fault that he crashed and burned?

When I went over it a few months ago i found it ok,but then I wasn't using it as a racetrack. :whistle:

with the weather we've been having the last few months, yeah, its screwed...
I ride it at least once a week.
rocks and shit falling down everywhere... the surface falling off from the crappy patch jobs they keep doing.

I reckon its crap... my opinion :spudwave:

and most people dont know the road like the back of their hand

Mongoose
31st August 2004, 19:29

You shoukld find rding around our local roads a piece of piss then. Them dairy cockies have got a bit to answer for with all the cow shite on the roads :finger:

loosebruce
31st August 2004, 23:40
I ride over it every day!!!
I know where every dip and cranny is. The only dangerous thing on that hill is the bloody idiots who cut corners and try to go faster than the person behind them. Doesnt matter if you are on a bike or in a car, DONT CUT THE CORNERS AND IF SOMEONE IS WANTING TO GET PAST, LET THEM!!
Many times I have had some tosser in a wanked up super car try to beat me. They gun it on the straights and slow right down on the corners. This is the kind of person who courses crashes, and need to learn to let people past. I know you should not go too fast anywhere on any road.. but if someone wants to, WHO ARE YOU TO STOP THEM??
next time any of you go over the hill, take it easy and just take note of the real condition of the road. Its not actually that bad.
Thats my opinion anyway. :banana:

Well said sparky! The road isn't the problem it's people who push it that little bit to far and end up binning it cause of sometimes inexperiance or a damp patch catches them out whatever the reason, it's a fantastic road and i like it more than the rima's to be honest, and its tens times better than what it used to be on the paihatahanui (sp) side, okay a little improvement could be done on the coastal side but i don't go that hard up there, heading off the cliff ain't big on my "things to do list". I hate hearing people bag the road cause at the end of the day "who" chooses to go that bit quicker? It ain't the road that's for sure. If they do change the speed limit to be honest i think i would still give it some stick over there, but if i go down on my own account i won't be blaming the road, the speed limit is there for a reason.

Man am i looking forward to spending a week down welly way, can't wait to blat over both hills again.