PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report -Gladstone Cliff Hanger

sugilite
13th March 2006, 12:36
It was my 1st time at this event.
I got there On Saturday morning for sign on. The organizers were relaxed and on top of things, I liked the atmosphere.

Initially I thought I'd have to raise my gearing after looking at the length of the start straight, but after doing the two sighting runs I decided to keep the gearing and sacrifice some top speed I'd only use twice in order to get better acceleration out the 27 corners, besides the 3rd gear powerstands out a few of the corners with the shorter gearing were horn!

Then the timed runs started, it was still just practice though, so there was no pressure.
I was impressed with the road, it is in pretty good shape. For me, a road like this is close to good as it gets in the Waiarapa, which is awesome! There were very few tight corners and it flows very well. I was topping out at about 270 through the flip flops in top gear. Other than the start straight it is the only place ya top it out. You can hit the rev limiter by just leaining it over as it changes the gearing, bizzare!
I found the medium corners the hardest to get right as one had to show respect and as a consequence you have to take a look and see approach and loose that vital acceleration, dammit lol

On my last run of the day, I had a ultra light fuel load, I came out of this left hander in third and gave it a slightly bigger handful and she snapped up real fast and in my quest to hold on I wacked me goolies into the tank on the way down. :kick:
As my right testicle appeared to be climbing it's way up the right hand side of my body I got on with the job of piloting a 170 hp heavy weight missile lol Actually, it was the focus of riding the bike that stopped me from a worse fate, that being stopping, climbing off the bike and lying on the side of the road crying like a baby:crybaby:
In all I got 8 runs, yes, you heard that right 8 RUNS for $30!
It also meant I got to push start my bike 16 times!

They did not use the whole hill climb on Sat, so come Sunday, I was going to have to take careful note of and learn the top part of the climb, While still trying to learn and push harder on the corners I already knew.

I got there nice and early Sunday, it was a little breezy, but otherwise fine day.
I got to follow the mayor of Carterton up on the 1st sighting run, he was no slouch and I entertained the thought of forgoing the task of learning the new part of the climb, or to watch him lol
On the second sighting run, I'd got my caution reference points for the top part sorted, but that was about all I could learn because of the slow pace the sighting runs were run at. (and fair enuff too)

My 1st timed run was a bit rough, I just was not flowing that great, so just took my time and started to get in the groove near the top. It was a 2:25 run.

My start procedure was kinda complicated for hill climbs. I have to pick just he right time to start my bike and get to the line without it over heating. It is fine timing indeed. I get ready for my second run, I start pushing my bike to start it, and it just locks! and again on the 2nd finally on my 3rd start attempt I tried a new technique, bad move as I slipped and crunched my poor pecker flat on the tank in the process, with that adding to my painful nutt cracker from the day before, I was not exactly a happy camper! The good news is the bike did start! Anyways, I got a pretty good start but then crapped on that by making about 7 mistakes on the way up, that cost me HUGE in acceleration. Still i got down to a 2:21.
I knew I could carve a load more time of that, but then the rain came! Buggar!
Anyways, I got 2nd place in the open class.
1st place was Tony Sampson on a K6 GSXR 3 seconds in front of me.
Fastest time was again Warren Turner. He broke his own record doing so. He was an inspiration to watch going into the 1st corner, very awesome!

It was a awesome event, and I hope to see a lot more people doing it next year, even if ya only do the practice day, it is so much fun, and the only pressure is the pressure you place on yourself.
Thanks Organizers!

skelstar
13th March 2006, 12:45
Great writeup. Sounds like your gear got a bit of hammering.
Why the abbreviated runs on the Saturday (ie. no top section)?

sugilite
13th March 2006, 12:48
Yeah, feeling a little black and blue lol

I think the shorter runs were due to the numbers of marshalls available.

Motu
13th March 2006, 13:04
Was this a bike only event? Hill climbs were a popular event in the 60s,then faded away as I became interested in bikes...there were certainly no gravel road hill climbs around,which is what I wanted to do.8 runs! I once did a rally sprint on gravel - in 8 hours I did 2 runs! I could of damn near halved my time with 6 more runs.

I like your other thread - all swagger,but when an event like this comes up where are they eh?

sugilite
13th March 2006, 14:48
Yes, It is a bike only event.
There are not many road only hill climb events on the calender. It is a real hassle to get consent n that.... I suspect that is a reason there are not more events of this nature.
The cool thing behind this event is the mayor is a keen biker and backs it. So he smoothed out that process.
I'd love to see more dirt ones too so Can take the KX500 for a blast!

Motu
13th March 2006, 15:04
The KX500 always does well in the Race to the Sky,just about the only place you could unleash one.Way too much for me!

sugilite
13th March 2006, 22:49
I'll never forget my first go on a KX500, the only bike to ever scare or intimidate me! I was about 20 at the time and knew that in many years time I would be mature enough to own and learn to ride one. I bought mine at age 33 and are still learning to ride it lol I love it though, and are not keen to get a 4 stroke, they are just too easy to ride, and I like learning!!!

dickytoo
14th March 2006, 10:15
Yeah, feeling a little black and blue lol

Geez, sounds like you and the bike have some sort of weird B&D or is it S&M thing going on. Remember cracking your tail bone on the tail piece when we first got the bike? That was definitely a minties moment:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sugilite
14th March 2006, 12:19
See the lengths I'll go too to keep the tank polished up!
thanks for the reminder on the tail bone, I've definitely taken more hits from the bike than it has from me lol

Hey the fork seals really need doing now, I hear there are cheap freedom air flights from Aussie to palmie, let me know when I can pick you up from the airport? :rofl:

dickytoo
14th March 2006, 12:59
Hey the fork seals really need doing now, I hear there are cheap freedom air flights from Aussie to palmie, let me know when I can pick you up from the airport? :rofl:

i don't think you could afford my rates now! if you can hang on for a couple more months, i'm planning a couple of weeks back after june

Motoracer
14th March 2006, 17:19
You can hit the rev limiter by just leaining it over as it changes the gearing, bizzare!

The middle of your tire has a larger circumferance than the edge of the tire. Hence, when you lean her over, it's almost as if, you are riding on a smaller rear wheel. The smaller the rear wheel, the lower the gearing or in other words high acceleration/low top speed.

Well done on your write up man! Thorougly enjoyed it and as I have already said, in 2 other threads, I'm gutted I missed out on this and Jelouse as, of you guys!!

sugilite
14th March 2006, 23:13
i don't think you could afford my rates now! if you can hang on for a couple more months, i'm planning a couple of weeks back after june

Hey, I'll pay ya triple what you were on before, what is 3x$0 again?
Thanks for the offer, but your a Aussie now, and you know what they say about an aussie with a tool in his hand!
Seriously though, thanks, I'll sort the seals myself, I'll prob give ya a call if I get stuck on the fidley bits..

Bring the bike polish when you come over though, I'll drop the bike of at your place in AK for a jolly good clean :devil2: