PDA

View Full Version : Cleve Brown race report Puke 13 March

Cleve
13th March 2006, 14:32
First a big thanks to motobob for the ride in his truck. Cheers.
It has been over 12 years since I last raced in anger, although over the years I have done a few track days (mostly at Puke).

To arrive at Puke soaking wet and still raining was wee bit concerning. My fears were not reduced in anyway by the first practice. One I had never raced or been around Puke in the wet. Two, every one else had wets and I just had my road tyres. Three, I was overtaken by a faster rider on a GSXR 600 who a couple of corners later went down big time in front of me on the fast left hander by pit entry. (Later I heard it was a Kiwi Biker, 2 stroker was that you? Are you ok?)

Thank god it was dry by the first race. I got a great start from the 3rd row and by lap two thought I could go around the outside of a blue R6 (who I think is another KiwiBiker but I didn't get to catch up). However I was a bit ambitious, out braked myself and ended up dirt tracking my way through to the entry of castrol, without hurting myself or anyone else on the way. Calmed down and finished the race with a few other riders behind me.

Race 2 I got another good start and was able to stay ahead of more riders and got past a lovely 250 2 stroker due purely to more top speed down the back straight on my behalf than any extra skill. Couldn't catch that other damn R6 though. What has he done to that engine?

Race 3 I got an awesome start and found myself about 5th around the first corner. I was soon put back into my place by one of the regular front runners who knocked my knee has he cut up my inside in to the first left hander. "Whoa, OK, you are after championship points and I am just here for a bit of fun - off you go sonny..."

Had an awesome day and confirmed to me that the decision to go racing again at 40 was the right one.

Well done to all the other Kiwibikers (especially Frosty for his well deserved victories)

See you in Taupo on the 30th. (The next one I can make)

Hoon
13th March 2006, 15:50
Nice work Cleve and good to see you out there. Yep F2 is pretty cut-throat but hey you're always welcome in the F3 little pond!

enigma51
13th March 2006, 15:55
Was not there but according to some reliable sources it was two smoke and aparently he is alright but spend the night in hospitial (PS unconfirmed about his status at the moment)

Good wright up good too see you at least enjoyed yourself even in the rain!

Motoracer
13th March 2006, 15:56
Good on ya mate!

Cool write up :niceone:

Motoracer
13th March 2006, 16:00
Was not there but according to some reliable sources it was two smoke and aparently he is alright but spend the night in hospitial (PS unconfirmed about his status at the moment)

He is still there but recovering well (he's a hard bastard).

I was there in the hospital for some time and got to see him late at night.

No need to worry, just give him a couple of days and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it here on KB, through one of his awesome write ups!

enigma51
13th March 2006, 16:35
He is still there but recovering well (he's a hard bastard).

I was there in the hospital for some time and got to see him late at night.

No need to worry, just give him a couple of days and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it here on KB, through one of his awesome write ups!
Thats good news mate was not nice to hear a kber is in the hospital seeing that its a crash at puke!

DemonWolf
13th March 2006, 16:59
Great writeup. Will look forward to your next one =) keep ém coming!

motobob
13th March 2006, 17:06
Good write up Cleve. Made me feel like a pussy sticking with Clubmans while you were having more fun in F2.

You were making that R6 fly for your 1st time out there. Not to mention bringing the average age up in F2 :slap:

Good to hear two smoker's OK (sort of)

Cleve
13th March 2006, 18:22
Yes very happy to hear he is OK... there was an explosion of plastic bottles as he smacked into them at about 160k's ! It looked (as it often does) worse than I guess it turned out in the end...

Cleve
13th March 2006, 18:24
Good write up Cleve. Made me feel like a pussy sticking with Clubmans while you were having more fun in F2.

Nothing pussy about riding through all those other Clubmans and PostClassics pre '89 that you had to deal with!!

FROSTY
13th March 2006, 20:18
good onya dude--great riding-.If ya get bored UM well Im happy to ride it for ya:msn-wink:

Cleve
13th March 2006, 21:42
Hey Frosty. As an ex SV track day rider happy to do a swop for a few laps and also take your little black beauty out for a whirl...

gpercivl
14th March 2006, 15:46
thought I could go around the outside of a blue R6 (who I think is another KiwiBiker but I didn't get to catch up). However I was a bit ambitious, out braked myself and ended up dirt tracking my way through to the entry of castrol

Gidday Cleve, that was probably me on the blue R6 I had a brand new tyre on the rear unscrubbed so took it a little easy in the first couple of laps...saw you go dirt tracking but looked like you had it all under control so no worries:woohoo:

Looking good for your first time out there...real good! cheers, Greg

Cleve
14th March 2006, 15:55
Hey cheers Greg.
ahh so an 05 R6 like mine but looked like you have done a wee bit more...
... only JUST under control.

New tyre eh, hence I couldn't get close to you in the other races...

Were you at the Fred Merkel Taupo day a year or so back? I was on the naked yellow SV 650 that day.

gpercivl
15th March 2006, 16:30
Were you at the Fred Merkel Taupo day a year or so back? I was on the naked yellow SV 650 that day.

Yep, that was me on my old Thundercat motor in 400 frame...that was a fun day too :rolleyes:

babyB
15th March 2006, 20:45
hay there cool write up. good on ya for getting out there again:2thumbsup

& bugga well wishes for 2smoke

Cleve
20th March 2006, 21:44
Hey cheers. Any idea of where to get photos of this Puke race day?

Two Smoker
21st March 2006, 10:35
:eek5: Wicked race report mate :niceone: Keep up the good work...

. Three, I was overtaken by a faster rider on a GSXR 600 who a couple of corners later went down big time in front of me on the fast left hander by pit entry. (Later I heard it was a Kiwi Biker, 2 stroker was that you? Are you ok?)

yeah mate that was me... ive done a report on my injuries and hospital stay... Wont be racing for at least another 2 months :angry2: :eek5:

Cleve
22nd March 2006, 07:42
Bummer. So you will miss the Taupo round on 30th April?

Two Smoker
22nd March 2006, 09:41
Bummer. So you will miss the Taupo round on 30th April?

Im hoping i can make it, but yeah i would say its unlikely i will make it... Should make a few VMCC rounds though...