PDA

View Full Version : Whangaparaoa to Christchurch

MadDuck
14th April 2004, 20:36
ok so I am going to do the ride...and yes it is 9 months away but I am keen for all advice I can get regards a long ride. i.e. stops, ferrys, tie downs for said ferry and checking out the SI in a week or two.

I need to get to CHCH in 2 days as wedding is for 4th Dec 2004 but once down there I wanna see as much as I can on two wheels of course. I have had some good pointers so far but....us gals need forward planning in case you didnt know!!!

Also keen to meet up with any Kbers along the way...always good to have company I say

dangerous
14th April 2004, 21:18
So you want to go from Auck-Chch in 2 days?....... can be done but a hard ride on a 250 with no fairing and you will need to have ridden a fair bit prier to the trip as to build the right mussels up etc.

How long are you going to be down here for? A week is plenty of time to get around depending on how far you want to go.
For eg: its only a day trip to the west coast and back or a 2 dayer to ride up to Nelson and down the west coast.
Let us know your scuduel (for time) when you know it.

MadDuck
14th April 2004, 21:38
Hey Dangerous
I am planning to blitz it getting down there and cruise around ..maybe a week or two and cruise back. I have not seen enuff of the SI in my short life and was hoping some KBers tell me best route and the best places to see :rolleyes: Am hoping to have summit bigger than the 250 by then

KATWYN
15th April 2004, 08:07
Hey Dangerous
I am planning to blitz it getting down there and cruise around ..maybe a week or two and cruise back. I have not seen enuff of the SI in my short life and was hoping some KBers tell me best route and the best places to see :rolleyes: Am hoping to have summit bigger than the 250 by then

Maduck,a while back Claire started a thread called "south island info" and Hitcher had one as well.
People posted with really good advice on places to go etc.

If I was more computer literate I would post the thread but don't know how.

You could do a search or someone might be kind enough to post it on here

South Island is fantastic on a bike

Posh Tourer :P
15th April 2004, 08:40
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2517&highlight=south+island

This is claire's thread, I believe it has links to the other threads. If not, go to search up in the top bar, and search for "south island" in "titles only" from the pull down box, and it will list hitcher's oddessy, plus a few others

dangerous
15th April 2004, 19:06
Hey Dangerous

Thats heaps of time, then you will be able to cover the hole Is if you wanted to.
Now depending on the weather (cos it gets bloody cold down here and increadably wet on the west coast) would depend on the route you take.
This would be my segestion: Bearing in mind that you have already covered the east coast down to Chch. From ChCh to Nelson via the Lewis pass, turning right at Kawatiri junction and riding on to Renwick, left turn on to Havelock and Nelson. At this point you may chose to do a day trip over to Motueka and back.
Leaving Nelson heading to Murchision turning of at the Inangahua junction and on to Westport (this section is a real trip back 100yrs)
From Westport all the way down through the Haast pass to Wanka over the crown range to Queenstown.
From here you could head through the central route back to Chch or head down to the amazing Fiordland area and return up the east coast all the way (bit bouring for me) or cut back through the central.
Accomadation is'ent a problem any were along this path of a motorcycle haven

Anyhow just my thoughts others will have more ideas aswell so that heaps to think about. Might even be able to get the Chch chapter togeather for a ride on part of your trip.

MadDuck
15th April 2004, 20:35
Thanks for the great advice. I will check out the thread...hate to be repeating anything.
Ummm Dangerous ...me thinks me need to get a map as some places you mention I have never heard of :spudwhat:

dangerous
15th April 2004, 20:48
Ummm Dangerous ...me thinks me need to get a map as some places you mention I have never heard of :spudwhat:

That can be aranged.... not that ya realy need one on this pokie wee Island :confused:
Unlike a trip I once did up north were I was rather lost on these small country roads with a series of single lane tunnels while trying to cross over to the west coast somewere above New Plymouth. Still cant work that one out... mind you it was 14yrs ago ;)