PDA

View Full Version : De-coke exhaust??

Fireproof
14th March 2006, 16:10
Have recently aquired an '84 RZ250 and am in the process of performing some basic maintenance. Im keen to clean out the exhausts (including silencers) and was wondering if anyone had some relevant knowledge? So far i've heard of magical fuel treatments, tipping caustic soda down them, and starting a bonfire with your pipes in it. The caustic soda seems simpler but does this work??

Grahameeboy
14th March 2006, 16:12
Wih my RD350LCYPVS I used to take the baffles out, pour petrol, set light to them and then wire brush.....you could hear the burble afterwards...sweet.

T.W.R
14th March 2006, 17:01
Acetylene torch & compressed air used to be the way to burn out 2smoker pipes

get the carbon deposits burning with the acetylene then gently blow the pipe through with the compressed air enough to keep the carbon burning until it burns out completely then give it full noise with the air to blow the ash out

stanko
14th March 2006, 19:28
TWR's method is good, couple of pointers though.
1 There will be alot of nasty smelly smoke, this might piss off the neighbours
2 When you get the airline in there little bits of red hot carbon may jump out and stick to your clothes making new holes.
3 You will need to repaint the pipes.

Good choice of bike, my favourite ! Keep your eye out for a 350 top end.

Motu
14th March 2006, 21:23
I use the gas set,you heat it up pretty hot,then feed in more oxy,this will burn out the pipe with much heat,you'll need to do it several times.After it cools,rap the pipe to break up the carbon and shake it out.Of course you will have removed any removeable baffles beforehand...burn these up with the gas too.Lots of smoke,do it where no nancy can see.

Caustic soda works too, messy,takes longer...but just as dangerous.Cover all exposed skin and eyes.Don't pour the waste on your mothers garden.

WINJA
14th March 2006, 22:04
I use the gas set,you heat it up pretty hot,then feed in more oxy,this will burn out the pipe with much heat,you'll need to do it several times.After it cools,rap the pipe to break up the carbon and shake it out.Of course you will have removed any removeable baffles beforehand...burn these up with the gas too.Lots of smoke,do it where no nancy can see.

Caustic soda works too, messy,takes longer...but just as dangerous.Cover all exposed skin and eyes.Don't pour the waste on your mothers garden.
YUP THIS WORKS , IVE DONE THEM WITH THE OXY/ACET HEAT UP THE INLET NICE AND HOT THEN TURN UP THE OXY TILL THE TORCH DIES THEN TURN THE OXY RIGHT UP AND IT SHOULD USE THE CARBON AND OIL AS FUEL IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

FROSTY
14th March 2006, 22:10
Motu/Winja have it bang on--Oxy torch -get it burning with a ox/acc mix and ease back the acc -colemans used to have a special room with all the heating gear for blowing out stroker pipes