PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Honda Super Blackbird

Blackbird
14th April 2004, 21:49
The Blackbird is definitely a case of "fitness for purpose". I wanted a bike that could potentially scare me umm... shitless, but would carry my wife and me in relative comfort. My previous bike was a BMW K100RS. Tried a Daytona, ZX9-R and Blade before settling on the Bird.

Sooo... in a nutshell, what's it like? The positives are almost too numerous to mention. Monstrous acceleration from low revs in any gear. I've seen road tests with 0-100 k's in 2.7 seconds. I believe it, but am too busy trying to stop it wheelying off the throttle in second to do a really fast time! 200 km/hour comes up in under 8 seconds. Top speed is reputed to be around 290 k's but I chickened out at an indicated 270 and have never gone near that since. Accelleration is what it's all about, not top end. Despite the performance, it's a real pussycat to ride unless you're ham-fisted with the throttle, but when you hit 7000 rpm, hang on! The fuel injection is excellent overall, but is a wee bit on-off on a closed throttle. You wouldn't normally notice this, but it pays to exercise care round a wet or greasy roundabout!

Okay, that's the boy racer stuff over and done with, but what about the rest? Fuel consumption averages around 15 km/litre. The bike is supremely comfortable even on a long haul. I covered last year's 1000 miler in 19 hours and although my arms hurt quite badly, it gives you an idea of what a great mile-muncher it is. My wife prefers the pillion to the old BMW as there is less turbulence, even if her knees are close to her chin! Maintenance costs are very low as the cam shims only need checking at around 30000 kms and all the rest is pretty routine. Owners on the Super Blackbird website regularly report over 250000 km with no major work required.

Disadvantages? The seat height is a tad too high for my 5'8" frame and combined with the 230kg weight, I've dropped it twice whilst manoeuvring at low speed. Maybe I ought to get a lower Corban seat! The steering is slow by sports bike standards, but I've quickened it up a lot with a 6mm spacer under the shock to jack the back end up. Being a heavy bike with a lot of grunt, it munches tyres. Best I've got from a rear is <8000 k's from a hard compound when I first had it. Worst is 4000k's. Insurance is dear. I'm in my 50's and with full no claims, the best fully comp I could find was over $900.

What will I eventually replace it with? Another 'bird if my wife wants to keep riding with me - I love them both to bits! If she wants to give up, then maybe the new Honda 1000 but that would probably be a compromise too.

Nope, I'm lucky to have found a bike which is close to perfect for me :niceone:

wari
14th April 2004, 22:13
(In Johnnos's voice) ... Beauuuuuuutiful .

James Deuce
14th April 2004, 22:16
I love that colour. Good write up thanks sir.

Blackbird
15th April 2004, 07:38
I love that colour. Good write up thanks sir.

Thanks Jim, but that colour has its disadvantages too! When I dropped it and put a few superficial scratches on the fairing side panel, it cost $500 to have it repainted!

Stripped right back, primer coat, 3 coats of silver, 4 coats of translucent blue and 3 clear coats :gob: A powerful incentive to stay upright!!

Geoff

Cajun
15th April 2004, 12:11
Geoff

Couple of things you should look at joining your local uylsses club, the local president is a good guy. And once you have done that you can get cheeper insurance thry john baker insurance. for being a ulysses member.

Second my father in law also does custom motorcycle seats we are over in tauranga. We custom make the seat to what you are after reshape it and lower etc etc. They are hell of alot cheaper than a corbin, and since corbins are getting hard to get hold of here now. www.trimit.co.nz the site is alittle old. we have done a couple of blackbirds as well. or give my father in law a ring on 075787903

Ghost Lemur
15th April 2004, 12:52
Thanks Jim, but that colour has its disadvantages too! When I dropped it and put a few superficial scratches on the fairing side panel, it cost $500 to have it repainted!

Stripped right back, primer coat, 3 coats of silver, 4 coats of translucent blue and 3 clear coats :gob: A powerful incentive to stay upright!!

Geoff

Have you looked into getting 3M clearfilm applied to it? With such an expensive paint job it may help protect it from those minor chips etc.

Blackbird
15th April 2004, 16:38
Cajun - many thanks for the great info. Much appreciated and I'll definitely follow it up. Yep, I know Brian and he is a good guy, but most of them ride cruisers and I'm not into that scene. I ride with a 'busa and a Gixxer 1000. My current insurance is with JB. The Tauranga Ulysses boys are a bit different!

Ghost, thanks very much for your interest. I've got 3M clearfilm on a lot of the bike, but not the side panels which is probably a bit dumb in hindsight :sneaky2: However, I've now got crash bungs, which should do the business if I ever stuff up again!

Thanks for all the advice - what a cool site!

Geoff

Cajun
16th April 2004, 07:56
Sweet as Blackbird

LB
17th April 2004, 04:16
I've got 3M clearfilm on a lot of the bike, but not the side panels which is probably a bit dumb in hindsight :sneaky2:
Hi there BB. Nice bike. Got a couple of mates with them.

I've thought of clearfilm, but I don't like how the edges get all black and yukky. My Duc has scratched/marked badly where my knees grip the tank. Started from day one - not sure if the laquer wasn't quite set or not, it's not like I ride on gravel roads where the dust gets ground into the paintwork by my knees. Not sure what to do. I have thought about a custom paint job with lots of clear laquer, but having just ordered a second bike I don't think the Treasurer would approve another two and a half grand for a chequered flag paint job on the 800!

LB
17th April 2004, 04:18
BB: Didn't meet you and a couple of mates at Tony Rees's shop about 18 months ago did I? I would have been riding my blue R1150R beemer, The Treasurer was on his yellow R1100S Beemer, and you guys (or whoever it was) were on their way to Te Kaha or somewhere round the Cape for lunch. We talked about the radar detector article that we'd written in the BRM magazine. I'm sure the people we talked to were from Tokoroa.

Blackbird
19th April 2004, 07:26
Clearfilm only gets yukky black edges because of stretching when it is applied and as it gradually shrinks back to its original state leaving a film of adhesive behind. Mine was put on professionally using a water mist and there was hardly any shrinkage. A quick wipe with turps will clean it off anyway!

Nope, t'wasn't me you met at Tony Rees' place - haven't been out East Cape way for 2 or 3 years now. Last time was on my K100RS in the company of a mate on a Hayabusa. Most of my riding these days apart from the annual 1000 miler tends to be up the Thames coast to Coromandel (tough, but someone has to do it!). We bought a holiday home up there last year. If you and the "Treasurer" happen to be heading up that way, let us know. Have attached a shot to tempt you :D

Incidentally, are your mates with 'birds aware of the Blackbird website, www.superblackbird.co.uk? As far as I know, there are only 2 or 3 Kiwis registered on it. Great site with lots of good fun and tech stuff. I put an article on it on how to build a low cost laser wheel alignment tool.

Safe riding

Geoff

LB
20th April 2004, 05:32
Hi Geoff. Piccie is certainly tempting.....

Will tell my mates about the site.

One of my mates had the clearfilm "professionally applied" and it's still gone yukky. I'll stick with the scratches for now.

Two Smoker
20th April 2004, 18:26
Hey Blackbird,

Nice article :niceone: Where did you get your crash bungs from??? ive seen them on www.blackbird.co.uk (http://www.blackbird.co.uk) but is there someone in NZ that imports them or did you import them yourself,

Cheers Two Smoker

Blackbird
20th April 2004, 19:57
These particular crash bungs are made by the owner of the UK Blackbird website (Jaws by nickname - John A.W. Smith!). One of the UK Blackbird owners gave them to me when he came for a visit last year, but you can get them from Jaws as he has a family motorcycle business - check his website http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/. He deals with all makes of bike and I've bought heaps of stuff from him. From time of ordering, it usually takes less than a week. He uses the Paypal system for payment if you're familiar with it. An unashamed plug for Jaws as his service is outstanding. He even warned me off one expensive brand of rear hugger which he said was crap and recommended a cheaper one - and it's great!

Cheers

Geoff

Two Smoker
21st April 2004, 21:12
Thanks Geoff :niceone: ill tell the old man about it and get him onto it :niceone: hopefully he wont have to use them but its better to be safe than sorry.....

Cheers Chris.

Lou Girardin
24th April 2004, 03:54
The clear film on my tank and fairing hasn't gone yukky. I'll try and remember who did it.
Lou

merv
24th April 2004, 09:20
I simply used Scuffproof bought from the bike shops to protect the tank and side panels of my VFR where my leathers would rub otherwise and it hasn't gone yucky in 10 years. It has just crept slightly causing a bit of a wrinkle at the sharpest bend under the front edge of the seat but no big deal. If a bit of the goo pokes out around the edges you just need to polish it off with Liquid Diamond car polish.

Zed
13th March 2005, 17:43
...What will I eventually replace it with? Another 'bird if my wife wants to keep riding with me - I love them both to bits! If she wants to give up, then maybe the new Honda 1000 but that would probably be a compromise too.

Nope, I'm lucky to have found a bike which is close to perfect for me :niceone:Great write-up Mr Blackbird! Your review encouraged me to start looking at these bikes more closely, and now (well tomorrow more precisely) I will be the proud owner of one! Thanks.

Sensei
13th March 2005, 20:58
Great pic ZED . Have riden a BlackB nice ride . Makes' good power most of the way through Rev range . Handling was great for a bike of that weight & length .Didn't like the link braking but to each thier own . Hope you have many mile's of excellent Riding :2thumbsup
SENSEI

Biff
16th March 2005, 16:53
Incidentally, are your mates with 'birds aware of the Blackbird website, www.superblackbird.co.uk? As far as I know, there are only 2 or 3 Kiwis registered on it.

Geoff

Ahhhh - home, that's where I began my bikie web whore career ya know. Now look at me, a master!

I still post there from time to time, and I'm one of John's (Jaws) bestest overseas customers. He sells double bubbles and wheel huggers cheaper than I can buy them from here or Oz, and $ for $ they're better quality as well.

Blackbird
16th March 2005, 19:45
Yep, I've bought lots of stuff from Jaws too. Had Clive of UK bird website fame over here 2 years ago and lent him my old K100RS to use as he has one in the UK as his backup mount. Have also just had Cruser over on his honeymoon. All great people.

Geoff