PDA

View Full Version : Rode to Reporoa (and back)

Rosie
16th March 2006, 07:35
I like to hear what other newbies are up to, so I'm going to keep posting my 'trip reports' and hope it catches on.

Clint and I meet up in Reporoa every Wednesday, and since the weather was nice, we decided to take the bikes.

I escaped from work early to avoid traffic, and rode out towards Atiamuri, taking the back roads towards Waikite. Only saw about 5 cars going the same way as me. I was only doing about 90 ish on the straight sections, so am not quite keeping up with traffic, but am feeling more comfortable on the bike than last time I was out and about on the open road.

Clint came up from Taupo, and we crossed paths along the Waikite valley road. Ever the gentleman, he offered to carry my backpack (must get some luggage, backpacks suck ass), and we rode to the Waiotapu tavern to get some beer for dinner. Except it was closed. So took a little detour to Reporoa village and got some beer and wine at the Woolshed. Nice bottle of wine too, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful evening, really warm, sunny and no wind. I was very pleased to have the enormous vents in my jacket.
Anyway, continuing on to Clint's rustic hunting lodge, I got my first experience with gravel. More of a slightly rutted farm track than an actual gravel road, so I was a bit nervous, but managed to avoid most of the ruts, even at the insane speed of 20 km/h. I normally drive up the road at 40, so I figure 20 isn't too bad. Getting all the way up the hill to the hut requires more advanced handling skills, so we left my bike at the bottom of the hill, and I clung on for dear life on the back of the KTM.

Got up early this morning, rode carefully down the track, feeling a bit less nervous than yesterday, and came back to Rotorua via SH5. One car passed me on a passing lane, but otherwise I didn't see anyone. The fog around Reporoa had me frantically adjusting my visor to try and see where I was going. Luckily my glasses didn't fog up or it would have been bad. Once I had escaped from the fog, I stuck to about 90 ish, getting up to 100 ish along some of the straights. Visor stayed fogged for a while, I might have to get some anti fogging stuff for it. Or a balaclava so I don't die of hypothermia when leaving my visor open.

I arrived at work 15 minutes early. And Clint just gave me a call to make sure I got to work ok :hug:

Str8 Jacket
16th March 2006, 07:50
Hey great stuff chick! Its awesome to see you out there doing it :2thumbsup
As for the cold it is getting worse, I even had to put my lining back into my jacket the other day :( If your having issues with the cold around your neck you should try and buy a Neksok, they are basically a tube made of polar fleecey type stuff and they fit nicely round your neck into the top of your jacket, I highly recommend them!

emaN
16th March 2006, 09:07
buy a Neksok, they are basically a tube made of polar fleecey type stuff and they fit nicely round your neck into the top of your jacket

Or make it yerself... I made three! One for me, one for the mrs & one for a mate.. Still using 'em, 8yrs later... Must be good sewing skills,aye?

Rosie - come down to the pub sometime! Do you often park next to City Focus?

Rosie
16th March 2006, 09:46
Rosie - come down to the pub sometime! Do you often park next to City Focus?

Never parked by the city focus, I'm avoiding the middle of town until I'm a bit more confident, and able to park efficiently (currently roll the bike backwards and forwards looking like a twit trying to figure out how to back into the park at the right angle).
And I'm busy after work on Thursdays.