PDA

View Full Version : buying sprockets/chain

slopster
16th March 2006, 08:35
Im looking at having a bit of a play with my drive ratios on my zxr 750 h1. Probably buy off ebay. How do you know what sprokets will fit the drive spline and the wheel bolt holes. I'm guessing that they're not universal - and also how do you calculate the necessary chain length.

emaN
16th March 2006, 09:12
try googling for online manuals to find your spline/bolt hole patterns; then you'll be able to ask the seller...

re chain length, how drastic are you gonna get? 1tooth smaller/bigger on front sprocket is roughly equal to 3on the rear... By changing the front one I've not had 'length' trouble...

Mind you, length ain't an issue for me :blip:

juzzer
16th March 2006, 09:16
Fairly standard sprockets.....

slopster
24th March 2006, 23:45
Just as a general rule how many teeth can you usually go up on the rear before you start needing a longer chain. The wheel is currently adjusted at about the halfway mark so theres a bit of scope for bringing it foward.

sugilite
29th June 2006, 22:33
Just as a general rule how many teeth can you usually go up on the rear before you start needing a longer chain. The wheel is currently adjusted at about the halfway mark so theres a bit of scope for bringing it foward.

With your wheel being at the halfway point is handy, you would get a easy 3 teeth, maybe 4 on the back.
I have a H1 as well and I just went one down on the frount sprocket and it made it pretty much perfect gearing for manfield.
I leave it like that for the road too, it gives it a little more snap on acceleration, funnily enough my gas consumption improved on the lower gearing, go figure...

Rule of thumb is 3 teeth on the back = one tooth on the frount. Frount sprockets are also cheaper. Mine was about $25 I think.

Cajun
30th June 2006, 08:30
just beware if your chain is over half used, best to replace the lot at once(front,rear sprockets, and chain) other wise end up with unevenwear

eg i have just ordered a new chain sprocket set for my bike from ebay, -1 on front +2 on rear.