PDA

View Full Version : Headlights -an observation

Blackbird
16th March 2006, 09:41
There have been quite a few posts on KB about what headlight bulbs to use for night riding and so on but I thought I’d come at the subject from another angle after nearly a year of using Xenon bulbs. In 2003, I upgraded the stock Blackbird bulbs to twin H7 100 watt halogens and the improvement was dramatic, particularly in unlit country areas with windy roads. In 2005, I did the Southern Cross endurance ride and fitted twin 100W Xenon bulbs for the event, mainly because I’d just blown one of my halogens and I had easy access to Xenon replacements. They were also superb in a wide range of conditions but I don’t think they had any advantage over the halogen ones and subjectively, may have even given slightly less illumination.

Here’s the interesting bit though….

Xenon light is more obvious to the human eye, that’s why it stands out as an eye-catching blue-white. Since I’ve had them in, it has been very noticeable that I’m much more visible in daylight to vehicles that I’m approaching from behind as they tend to pull to the left to let me past a lot earlier than they used to. As far as I’m concerned, being seen by other vehicles in daylight is a significant safety issue, particularly as most of our riding is in daylight. Another weapon against the “sorry mate, didn’t see yer” lame defence by cage drivers! If oncoming traffic flashes me a bit more, so be it, although surprisingly, it doesn't happen that often.

Has anyone else using Xenon bulbs noticed the same thing?

sAsLEX
16th March 2006, 09:59
One thing with certain bulbs, prob especially noticable on a bike with its short wheelbase, is that as the vehicle moves about you can catch blue falshes etc which upon first examination appear to be the police's behind you. Notice often on the BMW etc with their fancy lights, maybe this is why people get out of your way?

Blackbird
16th March 2006, 10:02
One thing with certain bulbs, prob especially noticable on a bike with its short wheelbase, is that as the vehicle moves about you can catch blue falshes etc which upon first examination appear to be the police's behind you. Notice often on the BMW etc with their fancy lights, maybe this is why people get out of your way?

Yep, that would be a definite contributor, coupled with stiff suspension. As long as I'm more noticeable, that's fine by me:yeah:

emaN
16th March 2006, 11:17
i just leave mine on highbeam during the day - like you say, i'd rather be 'flashed' at!

those Xenons can get pricey, yeh?

Blairos
16th March 2006, 11:21
Where is the best place to obtain these xenon bulbs?

Blackbird
16th March 2006, 12:08
I got mine from the UK for about $60 for the pair but if you don't want the high wattage, but are still keen on the visibility aspect impact of blue/white, Hella do them (as well as other makes), check this out: http://www.hella.co.nz/, go to News and click on Xenon Ultra Quartz Halogen H4 & H7 Globes. The do pump out a bit more light than the same wattage conventional bulbs though.

Aucker
16th March 2006, 12:34
i just leave mine on highbeam during the day - like you say, i'd rather be 'flashed' at!Isn't that a danger to oncoming motorists though?

Most of my riding is during the day, so might try the Xenons one day in the future Blackbird, thanks.

sAsLEX
16th March 2006, 12:41
most bikes take a funny type like H4 h or something, but the trick is you can use normal car ones and just *adjust* a couple of the tabs and they fit just fine, done this on all my bikes and never had a prob, cept the cheap bulbs I got off Tardme that have now lost both low beams after 3 months

bugjuice
16th March 2006, 12:45
I've heard stories of some 'bright white' and 'ice blue' bulbs (not sure if they're xenon bulbs) are really great during the night, but if it rains at night, the light is absorbed by the water on the road, and you can't see much..

aside from that, when mine blow, I'll replace them with something like these..

Blackbird
16th March 2006, 14:00
I've heard stories of some 'bright white' and 'ice blue' bulbs (not sure if they're xenon bulbs) are really great during the night, but if it rains at night, the light is absorbed by the water on the road, and you can't see much..

aside from that, when mine blow, I'll replace them with something like these..

They were fine in rain on the Southern Cross as far as I remember but there may well have been more reflected glare. It really wasn't a big deal.

XTC
16th March 2006, 14:20
I have found the same thing, not with Xenon bulbs but with the visibike kit I have run on my bikes since the early nineties.

XTC
16th March 2006, 14:22
i just leave mine on highbeam during the day - like you say, i'd rather be 'flashed' at!

those Xenons can get pricey, yeh?
I reckon you're a dick doing that.....

Lou Girardin
16th March 2006, 16:06
I'm with eman.
I rarely get flashed and if their eyes are that sensitive to a headlight in bright sunlight they should wear sunny's.
Better they squint than I die.

Motu
16th March 2006, 16:48
Your choice Lou,you can live...or die for it.For my part as a motorist coming the other way in a 4X4 with bull bars...I can see you alright,but what you are and where you are on the road I have no idea.Sometimes I guess right...maybe for you I don't? One thing for sure,I'm not the the one getting hurt.

Headlamps on cars have to be the same...so I end up with all sorts of ''odd' bulbs - these go in my bikes,not because of any better light,but because a blue or yellow tinge light is just that little bit different...it may just help....who knows?

Warr
16th March 2006, 18:46
From my experience :( it is sometimes not so benificial to be easy to be seen :Police: :Police:
Sometimes I'd be quite happy to blend in...

Blackbird
16th March 2006, 19:05
From my experience :( it is sometimes not so benificial to be easy to be seen :Police: :Police:
Sometimes I'd be quite happy to blend in...

Hi Warren

My detector is for avoiding the boys in blue. Besides, I (probably erroneously) think having your headlight on might demonstrate safety consciousness if stopped:yes: Yeah, right.....

kiwifruit
16th March 2006, 19:08
i have noticed the same thing,
more cars seem to see me now i have the "arctic blue" bulbs.
Fine by me :D

What?
16th March 2006, 19:26
Can't agree with you this time, Lou.
High beam makes it harder to judge distance, therefore more likely for someone to pull out in your path, thinking you are much further away than is the case. This was the finding of some (university??) study a few years back, and I have to say that my observation backs it up.

sunhuntin
16th March 2006, 21:07
ive got the stock bulb in scuffy still [wouldnt have a clue what that is though!] and did have it on full during the day for about 2 days....after a riding buddy complained he was blinded when he caught my light in his mirrors i switched it off.

whatever the bulb is, is illuminates fuck all at night, to the point i have to put it on full just to see the roads. would like to go for something a bit brighter next time, but will try different types and see what we get. i find the white lights in cars buggers to see past, specially in the evening when its too dark for sunnies. as for judging distance, i just look at the nearest landmark and check how far the oncoming vehicle is. hasnt caught me out yet.

Warr
16th March 2006, 21:45
i have noticed the same thing,
more cars seem to see me now i have the "arctic blue" bulbs.
Fine by me :D
Fine for you too, Bummer. Rosa had 2 in it one operating the equipment the other driving. Pretty hard for them to miss.
Just hold the button till u'r in their sights and :Oops:
Detectors are only so good...

Krusti
16th March 2006, 21:52
High beam makes it harder to judge distance, therefore more likely for someone to pull out in your path, thinking you are much further away than is the case. This was the finding of some (university??) study a few years back, and I have to say that my observation backs it up.

In UK a study was done I hear that found that riding with headlights on during the day did make you more visible but motorists had trouble judging how far away you were. This tended to cause people to pull out into bikers paths thinking that they were further away. Just what I have heard.

Lou Girardin
17th March 2006, 08:40
Your choice Lou,you can live...or die for it.For my part as a motorist coming the other way in a 4X4 with bull bars...I can see you alright,but what you are and where you are on the road I have no idea.?

C'mon Motu, you're eyes are that sensitive to glare that you are blinded in broad daylight. How do you cope with sun?

Lou Girardin
17th March 2006, 08:44

Funnily I've found the opposite. Some mornings, usually in winter, I've noticed more cages not seeing me. Then I've found my headlight to be on dip from riding home in the dark. Back onto high and the problem goes away.

Blackbird
17th March 2006, 09:01
Funnily I've found the opposite. Some mornings, usually in winter, I've noticed more cages not seeing me. Then I've found my headlight to be on dip from riding home in the dark. Back onto high and the problem goes away.

Which reinforces my original observation about Xenon bulbs and you don't need to be on main beam either.

kiwifruit
17th March 2006, 09:34
Fine for you too, Bummer. Rosa had 2 in it one operating the equipment the other driving. Pretty hard for them to miss.
Just hold the button till u'r in their sights and :Oops:
Detectors are only so good...

i don't get it :dodge:

What?
18th March 2006, 19:27
Might be to do with the shape of the reflector and/or lens making the light less visible from a distance??

On a slightly different tack - remember the XJ750? Came fitted with an yellow fog light below the headlight. Possibly the most visible bike ever built with the fog light on and headlight off.

Lou Girardin
22nd March 2006, 12:01
Might be to do with the shape of the reflector and/or lens making the light less visible from a distance??

On a slightly different tack - remember the XJ750? Came fitted with an yellow fog light below the headlight. Possibly the most visible bike ever built with the fog light on and headlight off.

Yeah, I had one of those old Seca's, had a lot of fun on that. The fog light was a great idea.

TygerTung
24th March 2006, 19:55
I think you'll find that a high beam won't appear bliding at daytime as your irises are much more closed as the general light is brighter

What?
25th March 2006, 06:47
I think you'll find that a high beam won't appear bliding at daytime as your irises are much more closed as the general light is brighter
I think you need to get out more - sure, it's not as bad as at night, but it is still quite dazzling more often than not.

metric
26th March 2006, 18:40
I like the sound of extra visibility... I don't ride with my brights on during the day, just standard lights on

I've got a zxr250 '90 - would I have any problem fitting xenon lights to this?

Blackbird
26th March 2006, 19:47
I like the sound of extra visibility... I don't ride with my brights on during the day, just standard lights on

I've got a zxr250 '90 - would I have any problem fitting xenon lights to this?

Not as long as you stick to a similar wattage. I hope that you have an H4 or H7 fitting as these are the most common but others are available.

metric
28th March 2006, 22:50
Not as long as you stick to a similar wattage. I hope that you have an H4 or H7 fitting as these are the most common but others are available.

cool - will have to check this out

Blackbird
4th April 2006, 18:00
Just seen this post from the UK Visor Down site if anyone is interested...

http://www.motorcycledealer.co.uk/

Was looking for the Phillips VisionPlus (+50%) bulbs, and it seems they've released just this month in the UK some bulbs that are called Phillips MotoVision with 40% extra light - plus an orange lamp glow to make you more visible.

Shame they're only in H4 & H7, i'm ordering some VisionPlus bulbs but unfortunately they do them in H1 but not H3, so i'll have to get the VisionPlus(+50) for the dipped beams and the BlueVision(+30) for my main beam.

thehollowmen
4th April 2006, 21:13
Anybody able to answer the 'heat' question?
I'm looking at getting something like these (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Other/auction-52185279.htm) but I'm a bit worried about melting out my reflectors or the plastic. Especially how I go for so many long (4+ hour) trips

Bonez
5th April 2006, 03:27
In UK a study was done I hear that found that riding with headlights on during the day did make you more visible but motorists had trouble judging how far away you were. This tended to cause people to pull out into bikers paths thinking that they were further away. Just what I have heard.
Do they have same problem with car headlights during the day?
Sounds like pile of bollocks to me.

On our ride on Sunday it was perfectly obvious the vehicles with headlights on were much more visable than those without. Especially apperant in the rain. Quite easy to judge the vehicals with lights on. Those without you could hardly make out until they where around 50 metres away. :sweatdrop

SARGE
5th April 2006, 08:07
i run a headlight modulator (Kriss.com) through a relay (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=20080&highlight=bright+lights) , runnin a Xenon 130/80 W

NordieBoy
5th April 2006, 09:14
Do they have same problem with car headlights during the day?
Sounds like pile of bollocks to me.
You are more visible - yes.
But...

Cars have 2 lights set quite a way apart and when they get closer you see them effectivly getting further apart.
Your brain translates this to the speed of the car.
On a bike it's one light, just a point source and there is no indication of what speed the bike is doing.

Pro - You are more visible and people can't use the "didn't see him" excuse.
Con - Peeps may still step out in front of you.

crash harry
6th April 2006, 10:30
You are more visible - yes.
But...

Cars have 2 lights set quite a way apart and when they get closer you see them effectivly getting further apart.
Your brain translates this to the speed of the car.
On a bike it's one light, just a point source and there is no indication of what speed the bike is doing.

Pro - You are more visible and people can't use the "didn't see him" excuse.
Con - Peeps may still step out in front of you.

They reckon that has something to do with why people pull out in front of trains too. I think it's more to do with drivers being retarded... I mean it's HUGE and it's got a light on the front and it makes heaps of noise. Kinda like my bike... Nad they certainly like to pull out in front of that. Think I'm gonna have to get me some of those arctic blue headlights, hopefully they'll see that then.