PDA

View Full Version : RANT SESSION: Amazing West Coast ride

_intense_
16th March 2006, 18:16
What a journey, I had just finished Saturday night a work and got home at 1 am, felt a wee bit bored, how better to occupy myself than to go for a night-time blat? well i needed to know how good the headlights on my new bike are.. new bike you say? yes, a sleek 02 CBR 600 F4i apptly named Black Betty (thankyou Karla).
So i threw the tent fly and some grub togeather with the sketchpad and thermals, and was on the road to Rolleston by 2am, hit rolly at 3... yes it was a quick trip thank you very much.... filled up and headed for the hills, the plan was to meet friends over at the Hokitika food fest, never made it thet far though as the rain was quite heavy by the time i made ti to ArthursPass, so i bivvied up in some beach forrest, bed roll under the bike and the tentfly over both of us, Betty kept me toasty warm and dry in an otherwise filthy cold wet mountain night. after a breaky and a stretch i was on the road at 8am (sleep is for the weak) and the Rozzers stopped me at the checkpoint at the end of Arthurs, i mades sure they could hear her singing on the way out of the Pass -nice guys. sadly the rest of the pass was in mist so il hafta do it again in clear weather, stopped here and there to poke around, made another brew of teea to warm up, amazing engineering on the roads there. after a quick refill in Kumara, i shot down to Hoki, coffeed up amongst swarms of illl looking tourists (wild food fest/booze up)
To many people there for my liking though so i went south... Words cannot describe the increadible beauty and serenity of the west coast, As the first time there, it was another world to me. my first real stop was FranzJoseph , beaut C4 coffee, and the surrounds made it even better i didnt walk to the glacier though, my riding gear wasnt best suited to it. i could see my self working there for a while, what a place to escape to. just south of FJ was a great wee road sign "25km winding roads" -this place is bike heaven. numerous stops were made, i gotta get a digital camera now for the return ride. Knights Point Lookout was a highlight, a clif top stop with a monument to the opening of the Haast pass road. stayed there for an hour gazing into the vast Tasman Sea. Very Zen. more windy roads, (complete with 20 odd sheep in the middle of a road... almost got me one. filled up in Haast, what a surreal place on the back end of an island in the middle of nothing and nowhere. so quiet, then up into the mountins again, the signs on all the wee bridges were great, the coast is perverse though i rekon, "Bonar st", gay stream, dicks creek, abut head, random creek was good. Imp Grotto (i shit you not -its in the Haast) the winding beech lined road of the Haast was amazing, -stopped to help a cyclist in troube (bag failure) as i know what its like to be stranded in the back of beyond alone... made it to Hawea to fill up again and let
my sis know i was an hour from QT, gunned it over the Crown Range-insane road, not for the faint of heart.. and hit Queenstown in high spirits, 850+ kms down in one day, time to relax, had very cruisy tea and a well apreciated shower & bed. breaky at Joes garage was awwesome (as good as their national nz cafe award best in country blah blah) and coco was a wicked spot to, good coffee all round and bike friendly to bot (both coffee chick and kitchen dude were honda peeps :D) a wee poke around QT was enough, so filed up and mentally prepared for the monday ride home, uneventfull as i was a bit knackered from sundays effort, but fun nonetheless, had a sweet ride through the sweping lindis pass road, and coffeed up in Twizerl (shawtys is the ONLY good coffee in the MacKenzie bar none). gassed up and homeward headed. what a mission.
1211.8 kn in a day and a half, a spiritual journey for me as it opened my eyes to a whole other world we have here in our stunning wee island. good therepy for me to bond with my new bike, and get to know our beautiful we country better. if you do nothing else in your time on this plane, make sure you spend a few days riding down the coast, i know il be back. soon.

Ride safe peeps, il have the camera next time so can post some pics hopefully.

flash
16th March 2006, 18:19
thats waaay to long to read dude :P

slimyxylofone
16th March 2006, 18:43
No, not too long! Great write up.

I completely agree about the west of the south island - it's an amazing place with a distinct feel and atmosphere. A month or so ago I rode my GN from auckalnd down to dunedin and took a Marlborough - Westport - Hokitika - Hawea - Dunedin route down the south Island. I'd been there before, but the magnificance and beauty of it on a bike is hard to put into words. So your description is spot on with how I felt about my trip.

When you return, I reccomend looking up DOC camp sites (via their website). We stayed at one in particular, that for $6 a night, was absolutely amazing :niceone:. PM me if you want the name of it and how to get there.

Jesse

Oakie
16th March 2006, 19:26
Thanks for that dude. Mrs Oakie and I going over there for 5 days at the end of April for a bit of a poke around so your report has really whet my appetite for it. My digital camera will be the first thing packed.
No tents in the forest for us though. A nice warm motel with a spa pool and Sky have been booked to keep the nights comfortable.

thealmightytaco
16th March 2006, 20:02
A month or so ago I rode my GN from auckalnd down to dunedin and took a Marlborough - Westport - Hokitika - Hawea - Dunedin route down the south Island.

Hard. Ass.

Much respect, I can barely get the fxr up to speed on the open let alone do a cross country trip. May the jandal be with you.

_intense_
16th March 2006, 22:17
I rode my GN from auckalnd down to dunedin and took a Marlborough - Westport - Hokitika - Hawea - Dunedin route down the south Island.

Maaaaad respect to your endurance & devotion to the journey. we must go for a longass ride some day :ride:

Bandit Rider
16th March 2006, 22:53
Thanks, good write up, always enjoy hearing about an adventure.

limbimtimwim
17th March 2006, 08:49
West Coast? Best place ever.

FlyingDutchMan
17th March 2006, 09:05
Man! talk about moving fast... that is almost the exact trip I did between christmas and new years (except I did it the other way round and had a side trip to Mount Cook and went twizel->dunners->cromwell->wanaka. It took me 4days - It is a bloody good trip though. Except for 7 hours in the rain on the coast... including running out of petrol 10 km short of Fox Glacier (note to everyone: fill up in Haast even if you don't think you need to!).

slimyxylofone
18th March 2006, 19:09
Hard. Ass.

Much respect, I can barely get the fxr up to speed on the open let alone do a cross country trip. May the jandal be with you.

Maaaaad respect to your endurance & devotion to the journey. we must go for a longass ride some day

Lol, thanks guys - appreciate it.

_intense_, I'd love to go on a ride some day, west coast wont know what's hit it! Gimme a few months and a different bike (looking for a ZXR250 or CBR250RR, if you know of anyone with one for sale PM me ;) ) so I can keep up with Black Betty. I'll add you to contacts list and might send you a random message in a few months, prob when you don't remember me anymore :)

All good, cya guys.
Jesse

Bonez
18th March 2006, 19:16
Reminded me of the weekend ride from Ohakea down to Queenstown via the east coast then back up the west coast on the CB550 a few years back. Agreed it's a good bit of m/cing road alright.

MidnightMike
18th March 2006, 19:21

I agree. :sleep:

I guess thats what rants are about though :oi-grr:

_intense_
22nd March 2006, 17:13

Well i DID warn you, its not like the title "RANT SESSION" is missleading or anything... :poke:

Phurrball
22nd March 2006, 17:21
Ahhh indeed, there's something special about the West of our fair isles. Nice write up _intense_

_intense_
28th March 2006, 22:38
now... just gotta see about that new back tyre then i can do it all gain, the other way round though... bring it :headbang:

ktulu
28th March 2006, 22:56
Love it mate, made me want to be back there thats for sure.

Drove the west coast road when I was moving back from mossburn to matamata. Mind you I was 17 and that was in my 82 corolla wagon, 4 speed, no more than 80kph the whole way, got a mean look around and still have some amazing photos to remember it.

Was a very special event in my life thats for sure, would love to do it on two wheels.