PDA

View Full Version : bike leaners license, courses?

zeocen
16th March 2006, 20:40
So I was just told I have to do a motorbike course before I can even get my learners. Seems pretty backwards to me, I've got no problem with a course being mandatory, but BEFORE you do your leaners? ... Anyway, I'm hopeless at google and search function so I haven't found anything on how to go about this.. do I just rock up to the lisence-giving-place and say I want to do the motorbike course for my lisence and they give me instructions? Or is there a site on the net that can give me infor or what?

Thanks in advance for not calling me a newbie :<

Maha
16th March 2006, 20:44
I guess its the '' basic handling and skills '' cert you need ?
Ring Doug Swanson........... 09-416 5096
He does it at Northcote AUT weekends
If you are on the shore its real handy, $70-80 i think .

zeocen
16th March 2006, 20:50
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html

Yeah, you're right.. I'm in South Auckland however, Manukau/Manurewa area to be specific.

Man, what effort, someone really doesn't want people riding motorbikes in NZ ;/

Ixion
16th March 2006, 20:59
Before you can be allowed on the roads to commence actually learning to RIDE, you must show that you have suffucient capability not to actually fall of the bike in the middle of all those cars. And that you know how to stop it and such like. Remember, when learning to ride a motorcycle there is not another experienced person sitting beside you, as there is for a car learner. So you have to show that you can at least ride in a straight line, go round a corner, stop, start etc, without falling off . Once you can do that you are ready to START learning to ride! There is far more to learning to ride a bike than there is to learning to drive a car.

So, before you can be issued a learners licence, you must produce a Basic Handling Skills certificate, to testify to the above. You can be issued one (assuming you pass the test) by Doug Swanson (below) , John Wright (John Wright - motorcycle instructor -ph 025 227 5766) or Lee Turner (KB member ph 021 NEW RIDER). Any of them will (for an extra fee) also provide any tuition that may be required. They will also provide a bike for you to sit the test on, since you cannot legally ride a bike on the road until you have your learners licence

Maha
16th March 2006, 21:01
Seems an effort, but is worth it, the basic skills cert takes about an hr, take a leaf outta nike's book.........Just Do It ...............good luck :scooter:

zeocen
16th March 2006, 21:05
Yeah sorry about my deluded post, I re-read it and decided that the course before the learners is the obvious way. :P

Thanks for the contacts Ixion! And yeah, I'd need the whole package.. haven't ridden a bike etc, but I guess I better put in the hard yards and suck it up.

Thanks for the fast replies guys!

zeocen
16th March 2006, 21:09
Ixion would you happen to know the locations of the other instructors you mentioned ?

Gremlin
16th March 2006, 21:27
Ixion would you happen to know the locations of the other instructors you mentioned ?
I used John Wright, he does it near Rainbows End. I have attached a map of where he does it.

zeocen
16th March 2006, 21:50
Ahh that's really close to me! Thanks dude I'll definately get in touch with him!

Buster
16th March 2006, 21:59
Dont stress about the basic handling course. Its just that...basic. If you cant pass the test then you shouldnt be on the road. It would be pretty hard to fail unless you really cant ride a bike. Its a good safety buffer before you get started. I used Doug Swanson, he was really good.

Insanity_rules
21st March 2006, 07:16
The Basic handling course is a real hoot! I had fun on mine. My advise rent one of those 100cc sewing machines and you'll be better able to do the cone weave.

zeocen
21st March 2006, 13:54
Thanks for the advice, I might just do that!

Patrick
21st March 2006, 14:01
$70 to $80 in Auckland? Jeeeezus... only $40 here... worth a tank of gas or two to come down and do it here...nice ride, good practice,:msn-wink: :msn-wink: etc...

Colapop
21st March 2006, 14:06
The cert course is a whole lotta fun. I spent the morning doing the tasks and hooning around the carpark (Riverside carpark at Melling L/H) The coming to a screeching smoking halt was the best bit! Until he told me that wasn't what they wanted.

Blairos
21st March 2006, 15:00
I used John Wright for my Basic Handling cert - hes really good, and takes a sensible approach to teaching - doesnt just tell you what to do then leave you to it... - in fact, when he found out I had just bought my VTR250 (just prior to the course) he had one available for the course so I could do the cert on the bike I would end up riding... It certainly helped!:ride:

zeocen
21st March 2006, 15:29
Ahh great, I should be in good hands then. You're in Manurewa too Blairos? I'm a fellow rewa person myself :D

Ninja
26th March 2006, 17:47
Give Riderskills a try

http://www.riderskills.co.nz

blitz
26th March 2006, 17:59
I used John Wright for my Basic Handling cert - hes really good, and takes a sensible approach to teaching - doesnt just tell you what to do then leave you to it... - in fact, when he found out I had just bought my VTR250 (just prior to the course) he had one available for the course so I could do the cert on the bike I would end up riding... It certainly helped!:ride:

Yea i did mine at John Wrights about a month ago. Hes really good and he can supply a bike or scooter. I sat mine on their scooter (I didnt have a motor bike then and had never ridden 1! So i stuck with the scooter). Its not hard. It wasnt too expensive either compared to others. It was $70 and took 5mins.

His details are:
John P Wright
027 227 5766

And he does it round South Auckland (Dalgety Drive) in the weekends. I called him up on a Sunday at 3pm and he said he wil take me at 4! But its best to call a few days in advance.

Good luck