PDA

View Full Version : net etiquette (posting links)

750Y
16th April 2004, 13:22
just wondering if it's considered rude to post links to other web pages. Do You need specific permission from the 'webmaster'? and what about linking it in this site.
I sometimes find something on the net that i feel is worthy of sharing but i'm just not too sure if i am causing too much traffic for either site etc.
any general rules of thumb here?
I found the occasional link i want to post up but how are the 2 sites affected?
should i just go for it?

pete376403
16th April 2004, 13:28
Posting links is ok - all you're doing is pointing to something that the web site owner has published anyway.

Ghost Lemur
16th April 2004, 13:36
Yeah, the whole purpose of html was to make linking to other sites (pages) easy. If you go to somewhere like Slashdot, you'll see news articles with numerous different links in each. Generally you'll find no one complains about getting extra hits and therefore becoming more popular. Although some do complain about being /.'ed. Which is about as close as you can get to a legal DDOS attack. :)

If you do have some concerns with linking to a particular site, just pop off an email to the webmaster and include a link to the post in which you refer to them. You'll find a lot of webmasters either trawl or use spiders to find incidence of where someone has mentioned them. It's not so much about control but rather finding out what people think, who your current audience is, room for improvements etc.

Motoracer
16th April 2004, 14:10
750Y, just wondering if K31K means a GSXR 1000 K3?

Thought you were giving biking a break and gone off to Hawaii, surfer boy! lol

750Y
16th April 2004, 14:18
750Y, just wondering if K31K means a GSXR 1000 K3?

Thought you were giving biking a break and gone off to Hawaii, surfer boy! lol

well done MR, K31K does mean that, oh & i ended up doing some surfing in Fiji last month which was cool.

Firefight
16th April 2004, 14:32
well done MR, K31K does mean that, oh & i ended up doing some surfing in Fiji last month which was cool.

Not many people have seen this cool bike, but F/F has seen it :whistle:

F/F

Motoracer
16th April 2004, 14:36

F/F

Sneaky F/F always seems to be in on the secreat eh...

Nice one 750Y! Will we be seeing the mighty Gixxer on the 23rd at Pukie?

750Y
16th April 2004, 14:52
no, I can't get time off next friday unfortunately.
even if I could i need to do a bit more road riding getting used to it before i take it out there. it is really fast and my confidence is just not there yet.

750Y
16th April 2004, 15:09
This was one of the links of a stoppie i liked.

http://www.cunningstunts.com/joker.htm

Coldkiwi
16th April 2004, 15:25

F/F

;) oh yes... its super shiny and nice! (sorry dude... couldn't help myself having a peek when Zed went to try your leathers!)

750Y
16th April 2004, 16:24
;) oh yes... its super shiny and nice! (sorry dude... couldn't help myself having a peek when Zed went to try your leathers!)

pmpl, i know, it's all on surveillance tape, including when you tried to, ahem, sniff the exhaust 8-). actually i did know cos the cover wasn't how i left it, no worries but it aint all that shiny anymore. 8-)