PDA

View Full Version : Back protector sewn into jacket?

Lazy7
17th March 2006, 08:48
Hey Guys, i am quite keen to get a backprotector but i know if its just ANOTHER bit of kit i have to put on before riding i probably wont do it unless i am going on a big ride.

and seen as how i am looking at new jackets at the moment and can buy one around fitting the back protector, was wondering if anybody here has ever taken their jacket to a leather taylor and have a back protector sewn into the leather?

your thoughts?

Blind spot
17th March 2006, 09:34
save your money, just attach a babies cot mattress to your back pack, that should do the trick.

Lazy7
17th March 2006, 09:50
save your money, just attach a babies cot mattress to your back pack, that should do the trick.

haha. love it, you definitely didn't need to tell people you are from west auckland, this suggestion is a dead giveaway!

haha. its all good mate, i'm a westy too. and they are having an in-organic rubbish collection soon - there will be matress's for africa!

bugjuice
17th March 2006, 09:54
the 'back protector' that's in jackets and suits etc is just thick foam. The good proper protectors are the plastic hardback ones.

The idea is that they fit snug, and as close to you as possible, to prevent movement in any situation, prevent discomfort, and to maximize protection. A jacket is generally a lot looser than a protector, and moves around a lot more. Protectors have to be as close as possible without being built into you, to provide the best they can.

So to sew one into a jacket, wouldn't be the best idea imo. I have one I stick on, and once it's there, I only remember it's there when I take my jacket off..

sAsLEX
17th March 2006, 10:01
A proper back protector fits snug to your back and it held there securely , if its in the jacket it could move away from your back rendering it useless. Something like Spidis Airback has Foam plastic and pnuematic shock absorbition and plates to stop you hyper-extending you back and needs to be held up against your back. Shitty foam ones dont do much therefor can be in your jacket.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12582

Lazy7
17th March 2006, 10:28
alrighty then. looks like i will keep them seperate then!

thanks

kickingzebra
17th March 2006, 11:32
I was beginning to think about a suit of leathers that would be almost like an exo skeleton after watching a guy put his harley down the other day, and snap his leg like a twig... imagine the same back protector idea, but across the whole thing, or arms and legs at least I suppose movement could be a problem, but legs and arms just aren't designed for lateral loads (like bad lowsides)

sAsLEX
17th March 2006, 13:20
leathers that would be almost like an exo skeleton after watching a guy put his harley down the other day,

Some A* suits have external armour round the shoulder and elbows,

Lazy7
17th March 2006, 14:13
yeah. was in cycletreads the other day (cool shop) and their were jackets with external plates of titanium moulded around the elbows and shoulders....

looked a little bit streetfighterish though

Gremlin
18th March 2006, 17:33
As BJ said, most jacket protectors are foam. But I think Lou might have a jacket with a proper protector built in... not sure.

Me: I don't mind chucking on the back protector, and if you think you can't be stuffed, try talking to someone who has been saved by one, or would have been if he/she wore it...:yes:

I'm even considering something like Quasi wears which is pants and top, with protection everywhere... so far I have had only bruising on the chest, which back protectors don't help with.

kickingzebra
18th March 2006, 22:09
Still haven't tried back protectors... Mind you, I still wear steel cap boots (and if I ever find the busstid that stole my stylmartins!!)
More protection, more dollars I spose... All in due time

metric
19th March 2006, 15:54
Still haven't tried back protectors... Mind you, I still wear steel cap boots (and if I ever find the busstid that stole my stylmartins!!)
More protection, more dollars I spose... All in due time

thought that steelies were a bit of a no-go because if the bike came down on your feet you'd lose your toes?

I don't have a back protector either for the record... any ideas on range of prices or where to buy one...