PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Point from a Judge

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 13:00
Aight to cut a long story short i did somehting a little silly, some softies on here might consider it insane, but for once i got caught :Police: well done sir. :doh: Was an interesting conversation, he was a little bit of a twat but i can't blame him, cause he prolly didn't have a good impression of me, as he was the second cop i never saw, pissed all over the 1st one no problem. But my silly actions aside as this aint the point of this thread topic.

I got charged with Reckless, seeing an opotunity to get it to careless i took it, got me a lawyer and said i'd plead guilty to a carless so the police kindly dropped it to careless, sweet keeping my licence now/maybe? better chance anyway.
Got to court and the police still wanted a 3 months disqual period (fair enough) but you see my problem I work 2 full time jobs, i live out west drive to the airport in the mornings, work the day then drive to Kohi to work in my Hell store at night, then drive home at night and repeat the same shit the next day, i NEED my licence.
My lawyer put up a sob story, good one too, but i think i smiled wrong at the judge or she didn't like the colour of my T shirt, she really did not like me very much, and too say my past is colourful is pretty spot on.
The judge turned to me and said, now heres the important part:

Basically you're expecting me to put more value on your licence than what you do yourself!!!!

Good point judge :doh: but yes please :niceone:

Well she did, but it got me thinking about the way i ride, and how much i need a licence and basiclly how fucked i'd be without it, yeah okay i could've gotten a temp work licence, but they cost, and it's not a garuntee you'll get one.

Now i pretty much use the car everyday for work, okay i still go out and practice some of my skills every now and then and i take every precaution to aviod the :Police: and i will still go out the coromandel, SH22 and blast it, but i only seem to get into trouble round the populated area's/motorways, as it seems most people do, the most cops are in populated area's, the more chance you have of getting pinged is in populated areas.

Think about how much you need your licence before you do anything remotly near a populated area, not every judge will swing your way, i was very very lucky.

So have a think about it...................

R6_kid
17th March 2006, 13:06
gutted as for ya bruce.

i've pretty much always gone along with a paranoid way of thinking - im not scared of crashing when i go fast, im scared of getting a ticket.

same thing applies for wheelies, burnouts, or anything else semi-irresponsible, not worried about getting hurt, i dont want to lose my licence or even worse my bike...

Patrick
17th March 2006, 13:09
Shit...I thought it was all rocket science... gutted... it really is this simple?

Bummer though all the same...

Mental Trousers
17th March 2006, 13:10
I'm very sensible on state highways - which is why I avoid the things like the feckin plague. I'm also well behaved in town as well - which is why I almost never ride my bike in town. I pretty much avoid riding anywhere I think there'll cops.

WRT
17th March 2006, 13:13
Sooo . . . what you're saying is . . . DONT take it to the streets???

madboy
17th March 2006, 13:15
I never do wheelies or stoppies with cops behind me, so I'm fine.

It's not the license that worries me, it's the fines, legal fees and court costs but mostly the future insurance difficulties for the family car (that I certainly do not do anything interesting in!) That's when it hits home.

Now go back home, take the gixxer out and you'll soon forget about this rare display of common sense.

Str8 Jacket
17th March 2006, 13:18

Be about the only thing you dont do in front of them.

madboy
17th March 2006, 13:23
Be about the only thing you dont do in front of them.You reckon? I don't pick my nose, fart, stop, use expletives, take off my seatbelt, loosen my pants or play catcher. See - lots of things I don't do in front of them!

sAsLEX
17th March 2006, 13:24
future insurance difficulties for the family car (that I certainly do not do anything interesting in!)

Mrs Madboy insure it under her name? Would be cheaper as well.

onearmedbandit
17th March 2006, 13:29
I know what you me LB. I've lost my licence a couple of times now (last time was over 2yrs ago but the offence will stay with me) and realise the value of said licence. Hence now I always ride with the thought of not wanting to walk home. Sure I open it up and give it hell, but only in places that are less likely to attract attention to myself.

bugjuice
17th March 2006, 13:31
lol.. only you would have turned up to the courts with a t-shirt on, pulled a huge stoppie out the front, wondered in (late), with yer funny grin thing you do (tis funny ;)), and forget what most of the stuff said, but one bit got across.. tis interesting I guess. But while you're out doing whatever, you aren't thinking 'how much is my lisence?'.. nah..

glad you kept it all the same. Hope your two jobs pay off the fines in time!!
catcha ya soon bro :niceone:

cowpoos
17th March 2006, 13:35

never....or...can't......theres a big difference

skelstar
17th March 2006, 13:37
Great dodge LB. Funny when I hear about people worried about demerits. Im usually freaking about the immediate cost/fine.

madboy
17th March 2006, 13:38
Mrs Madboy insure it under her name? Would be cheaper as well.They are both jointly owned. One with her as the primary driver, the other with me. But you still have to disclose the convictions of any people you expect will be driving the vehicle - so as I drive both regularly... If I don't declare that I drive them, it's called fraud. If I withhold my convictions, that's also fraud. I'm not into fraud. They are insured through her name though, as she has a guaranteed no claim bonus for life with AA Insurance... cheap cheap premiums... but still a big excess for me.

madboy
17th March 2006, 13:39
never....or...can't......theres a big differenceIt's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of consistency. If I'm gonna do it, I'll do it right. It's not really the kinda situation where you want one to go wrong.

The Stranger
17th March 2006, 13:47
Aight to cut a long story short i did somehting a little silly, some softies on here might consider it insane

Don't know about insane.

I had another word for it when you pull a stoppie and the car behind you is a police car.

Ixion
17th March 2006, 13:51
Commisserations for your deplated pocket book. But glad you kept your licence.

'Tis why I never speed (more than the 10 - 20 kph variability) in built up areas or motorways. Only when I'm pretty confident that Mr Plod is elsewhere.

Now , if only HE would play fair and stick excludively to motorways and built up areas. Come on chaps, you know it's only fair. You have your turf, we have ours.

I agree, when I do get my units of measure muddled (kilometres? Miles? knots ? leagues? terribly easy to muddle them up ), 'tis the lcience I fear for not crashing.

Ride fast, ride safe

2much
17th March 2006, 13:58
Sorry to hear about your little tangle with the pigs LB, but on the other hand pleased to hear that you somehow managed to keep hold of your license.

So what actually happened? Have I missed a thread with the details or something???

Grahameeboy
17th March 2006, 14:00
I guess the main thing is that you survived mate....okay a heavy fine etc but there are a lot worse things in life.

But it has made you think....get a scooter for getting to work and use the Gixxer for your Coro loops.....sounds like a good plan to me........in fact use the scooter on the Coro Loop when I am there and I will feel much better although on secnd thoughts, I will probably still end up as tail end catch up....

bugjuice
17th March 2006, 14:02
:rofl: bruce on a scooooootaaah :rofl:

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 14:09
:rofl: bruce on a scooooootaaah :rofl:

That'd be more dangerous than the GSXR.

Dont feel sorry for me, it's not a bummer i got caught, i dont mind the whole paying for fines shit, you get caught you take your medicine, no two ways about it, just what the judge said to me really hit the spot and made me think, so i cage it mostly, then play in the weekends, well away from my buddies in blue.
i got no beef with cops and their job, one of the toughest jobs in the world, respect is due, i know the laws and yeah i do break em oftenish on a bike. And not that it's a good thing the few times i've been caught there have been pleanty of other times that i haven't been (pleanty), so i'm not fussed to get pinged every now and then.

I'm not going to say what exactly i did, but it was wrong, well wrong and it wasn't just a stoppie with a cop behind me :bash: in all fairness yes they should've taken my licence from me, and if they did, i'd accept that

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 14:14
....okay a heavy fine etc but there are a lot worse things in life.

Funny thing was the max fine for careless is $3000, and the judge said to me because i'm keeping my licence the fine will reflect it by being larger, so i start shitting myself thinking here comes a couple of grand, when she said i fine you $550, shit i had to try so hard not to smile and look like i was deeply saddened by her fine.

So yeah damn lucky to keep licence and really i got off sooooo lightly.

**R1**
17th March 2006, 14:15
Sure I open it up and give it hell, but only in places that are less likely to attract attention to myself.Thats why every one I meet asks if I know that crazy fuka with one arm that wheelies his thou every where??? go on try and tell me its not you:shifty: :shifty:

Grahameeboy
17th March 2006, 14:20
Funny thing was the max fine for careless is $3000, and the judge said to me because i'm keeping my licence the fine will reflect it by being larger, so i start shitting myself thinking here comes a couple of grand, when she said i fine you $550, shit i had to try so hard not to smile and look like i was deeply saddened by her fine.

So yeah damn lucky to keep licence and really i got off sooooo lightly.

Yeah but you are a top bloke LB and good guys deserve some luck....the Free Pizza flyer did the trick then.....

bugjuice
17th March 2006, 14:21
yeah Bruce, how many free pizza's did you offer the judge and cops?

ooo ooo and extra points for telling the judge to 'go to Hell...'

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 14:22
Don't know about insane.

I had another word for it when you pull a stoppie and the car behind you is a police car.

Unlucky? :stupid:

enigma51
17th March 2006, 14:24
good on you for taking it on the chin like a man!

Jamezo
17th March 2006, 14:28
woah! must be feeling rather good. that was a wise comment from the judge.

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 14:32
that was a wise comment from the judge.

yeah i know, it was a chick judge too, can ya believe it! :dodge:

The Stranger
17th March 2006, 14:34
Exactly.....

Motu
17th March 2006, 14:40
It's always been easy to get a work licence - back before most of you were born I was run down from behind by a drunk,the bike was on the front of the vehicle for 1/4 mile,and I was on the front for 1/2 mile with him swerving over the road to throw me off.He then went home and held the cops at bay with a pistol until he sobered up.For all this he recieved a small fine and lost his licence for 18 months - but was able to drive to and from work,and during the working day.I used to see him nearly every day,and as I was working on trucks it took an effort not to do unto him...

It appears we also have to post what Government we were under at the time and heap scorn upon them - it was National back then,a government of farmers and businesmen bending policy in their favour.Nothing has changed but the name....

enigma51
17th March 2006, 14:45
I was working on trucks it took an effort not to do unto him...

You are nicer man than me!!<_<

Motu
17th March 2006, 14:46
I wasn't a man - I was an angry youth!

Patrick
17th March 2006, 14:51
....I used to see him nearly every day,and as I was working on trucks it took an effort not to do unto him...

Jeeeeeezzusssss...the look on his face would have been priceless if ya did!!!!

Ixion
17th March 2006, 14:53
But it has made you think....get a scooter for getting to work and use the Gixxer for your Coro loops.....sounds like a good plan to me........in fact use the scooter on the Coro Loop ......

Works for me. Though if Ratty hears I've called him a scootah my ankles will be in serious danger. (sort of emasculated singles when they switched to electric starters, they can't break your leg now when they're pissed off at you)

The_Dover
17th March 2006, 14:55

I can't believe they give a position of resposibility to someone whose frickin hormonal imbalances can turn them from WINJA's cuddly little handbag rat into a psychotic, rabid mongrel depending on time of month.

Shoulda asked her who she fucked to get the job.

Reason and accountability, say what?

enigma51
17th March 2006, 14:56
I wasn't a man - I was an angry youth!

Jeez i wonder why?

Lou Girardin
17th March 2006, 15:25

Jack Nicholson?

Big Dave
17th March 2006, 15:26
Congratulations on making it to grown up.

As you get older you tend to be able to see more of the road ahead - and it's consequences.

The_Dover
17th March 2006, 15:36
Jack Nicholson?

When you're right you're right.

And so was Jack.

Grahameeboy
17th March 2006, 15:37
I can't believe they give a position of resposibility to someone whose frickin hormonal imbalances can turn them from WINJA's cuddly little handbag rat into a psychotic, rabid mongrel depending on time of month.

Shoulda asked her who she fucked to get the job.

So how is Vixster these days??

loosebruce
17th March 2006, 15:37
Ah dave words of wisdom, you have been someone to look up to, quite literaly.

Dont worry though, a couple of weeks and normal service shall resume, just not everyday.

onearmedbandit
17th March 2006, 15:46
Thats why every one I meet asks if I know that crazy fuka with one arm that wheelies his thou every where??? go on try and tell me its not you:shifty: :shifty:

Ok then. No, that's not me.

Edbear
17th March 2006, 16:44
The Judge did make a valid point. I wonder if Speedmedic would say to an accident victim where it's the victims' dumb actions that caused it, "Do you expect me to value your life more than you do?" Glad it mae you think, mate. I like to "feel the power!", too, but I'm rather careful where and when I do it. I ned my licence for work being on the road every day and I doubt the boss would be impressed if I lost it.:woohoo:

Marmoot
17th March 2006, 16:51
...Well she did, but it got me thinking about the way i ride, and how much i need a licence and basiclly how fucked i'd be without it........

So, justBruce? Or tightBruce? Or still loosebruce?

That quote reminded me of Winja's "I see where you're coming from, Zed" thingy...

:eek:

Big Dave
17th March 2006, 16:53
Absolutely. Time and place and all that is what its about.

viva le squadron!

(or is it 'la' squadron?)

2_SL0
17th March 2006, 20:06
LB your posts are always great to read. Even on serious matters I still get a grin appear when I read them. Your approach to the whole thing is very commendable. I hope if I end up in this situation Im able to accept it in a similar manner. :niceone:

ukbandit
17th March 2006, 20:27
That'd be more dangerous than the GSXR.

Dont feel sorry for me, it's not a bummer i got caught, i dont mind the whole paying for fines shit, you get caught you take your medicine, no two ways about it, just what the judge said to me really hit the spot and made me think, so i cage it mostly, then play in the weekends, well away from my buddies in blue.
i got no beef with cops and their job, one of the toughest jobs in the world, respect is due, i know the laws and yeah i do break em oftenish on a bike. And not that it's a good thing the few times i've been caught there have been pleanty of other times that i haven't been (pleanty), so i'm not fussed to get pinged every now and then.

I'm not going to say what exactly i did, but it was wrong, well wrong and it wasn't just a stoppie with a cop behind me :bash: in all fairness yes they should've taken my licence from me, and if they did, i'd accept that
good way of thinking LB you just have weigh up how much fun you have as to how much you pay the man:Police: then go and have some more fun:niceone: hope you are ok on 19th we should put lookouts at the end of the road incase:Police: arrive give us a secret signal what u think:niceone:

Insanity_rules
17th March 2006, 20:50
Yeah, this thread made me think!

I'm a two wheel addict like everyone here and love riding everyday. If I lost my licence I'd go totally insane so I say time and a place for sure.

Sure I don't attach my L plate and I speed a little but mostly I obey the law. Oh and there was that wheelie I pulled (or tried to pull) on a back road in Upper Hutt (anyone wanna teach me to pull one properly?).

But back to the point, Upper Hutt is miles from anywhere!!! So public transport would be like watching a Shirley McLaine movie marathon or shaving with a bread knife (slow and painful).....

Motoracer
17th March 2006, 20:54
If you loose your licence, you can have the "bitch seat" to work and back!:motu:

ukbandit
17th March 2006, 21:58
Yeah, this thread made me think!

I'm a two wheel addict like everyone here and love riding everyday. If I lost my licence I'd go totally insane so I say time and a place for sure.

Sure I don't attach my L plate and I speed a little but mostly I obey the law. Oh and there was that wheelie I pulled (or tried to pull) on a back road in Upper Hutt (anyone wanna teach me to pull one properly?).

But back to the point, Upper Hutt is miles from anywhere!!! So public transport would be like watching a Shirley McLaine movie marathon or shaving with a bread knife (slow and painful).....

man she was horny in her younger days go shirley go shirley

Big Dave
17th March 2006, 22:10
man she was horny in her younger days go shirley go shirley

Being There - with Peter Sellars - and she has a wank on the......oops sorry.

DEATH_INC.
18th March 2006, 06:26
Can I say "ha ha Told ya!".....:Pokey:
I gave up riding to and from work ages ago.....too many farkin tickets, too many farkin crashes......it just isn't worth it.
For the record,my crash record is about 1 on a ride to about 6 riding to or from work :no: and the ticket ratio is very similar.....

Krusti
18th March 2006, 06:34

Was she blonde?

GR81
18th March 2006, 07:34
Was she blonde?
legs that go all the way up? etc ;)

madboy
18th March 2006, 16:24
... on a back road in Upper Hutt ...Heavily policed if I recall correctly...

Brett
18th March 2006, 18:53
This thread has made me laugh quite a bit! I must say tho that the point is fair. Am I the only one who has been made incredibly curious as to what LB has done???(mostly due to purposefull avoidance :devil2: )

Toast
18th March 2006, 19:33
'On ya for taking it LB. We all know the rules, many think they're bs and not enforced with common sense, but if you get sprung, you've got to take it. I lost my licence for 3 months and consequently my job which involved driving late last year...shit happens, my own fault, got back on my feet, doing mighty fine now.

Live by the rule of not speeding on any single digit SH nowadays (1 or 2 are the only ones I deal with regularly), and check my mirrors constantly for a couple of km's if I do (normally after a big passing move). Save the illegal speeds for the back roads, and the really big lean for the corners with perfect vision or the racetrack (not really a 5-0 issue, just had my abilities of agility tested too many times meeting a track backing in to a farm while rounding a corner).

Make sure you pay the fine at $5 per week. I'm paying at $10, but the chick on the phone from Ministry of Justice was real nice, I coulda pushed for a lower amount easily, just put on a real simpleton voice when they call you.