PDA

View Full Version : Scoota Boy.

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 08:05
Have just scored a Z50J, picture is on my profile. Was told its tidy and a 1973, however on closer inspection it aint so tidy and after I did some research on the bike, it cannot be a 1970s bike as it has plastic guards. Not totally concerned about it but the seller is being a pratt. My first not so good trade on tardme. However, I've started stripping the wee machine down and will thoughroughly(sp) clean and maintian the bike. It looks like it has had a bad case of neglect and thats about to change. I suspect that its a 1983, maybe not so collectable, but I won't feel so bad when people learning wipe out either. Anyone else here got any of these bikes, know Sensei has his old (but nice nick) Z50 that he learnt on and have seen bling in action (his son). Also is there anyone out there with parts? At this stage I'm goign to have to get some plastic welding done as the rear guard is almost split in half. Will be cool to get it done too as it just need some indercators and it could be quite easily made road legal. Started after some freash petrol and some distilled water in the battery. Be interesting to see how many of these wee things are about also when I retire...:scooter:

Coyote
18th March 2006, 09:15
Very very nice! All you need to do now is replace that tiny motor with a CR500's

How much did it set you back anyway?

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 09:23
Very very nice! All you need to do now is replace that tiny motor with a CR500's

How much did it set you back anyway?

I would be surprised if a CR80 engine would be able to be bolted to the bike. :thud: The bike itself cost me $800-00, not sure if its a good deal or not, but would like to think so:beer:

Coyote
18th March 2006, 09:40
Well make one fit then :p

I'm no expert but it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 10:06
Well make one fit then :p

I'm no expert but it doesn't sound like too bad of a deal

You get me one in good nick and I'll have a go:2thumbsup

Ixion
18th March 2006, 10:08
But, but, but a CR500 is not an inline four!

In deference to your handle, I reckon you need to fit it with a CBR1000 engine. Or change your name to inlineone

Coyote
18th March 2006, 10:09

In deference to your handle, I reckon you need to fit it with a CBR1000 engine. Or change your name to inlineone
Ah to hell with it. Why don't you get a inline 6 Stratosphere engine, or maybe a RC211V V5?

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 10:11

but I only have one IL4 and 2 singles:banana:

Ixion
18th March 2006, 10:13
Well, maybe you could get two more singles and join all the singles together? Or hang a single each side of the four, and change your name to inlinesix?

Coyote
18th March 2006, 10:16
Well, maybe you could get two more singles and join all the singles together? Or hang a single each side of the four, and change your name to inlinesix?
4 250cc MX engines inline :yeah:

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 10:19

The next bike that I want (I'm collecting motorcycles) is a 2-stroke twin:2thumbsup

froggyfrenchman
18th March 2006, 10:36
If youre gonna be a true bike collecter, you need to own a mountian goat. The only bike to be designed and produced for general sale in New Zealand. Pure history. I have two of them!!

Ixion
18th March 2006, 10:49
The next bike that I want (I'm collecting motorcycles) is a 2-stroke twin:2thumbsup

Yes! Two strokes rule.

I reckon a two smoker twin, you want either a big one , T500 or RZ400, or a real small screamer. The T90 Wolf or T125 Stinger is what I'd like to get hold of. Sigh. Must first get Mrs Ixion over the line, she complains as it is about 5 bikes.

There is a GT250 X7 on Trademe at the moment though. Of the 250 twins they were one of the best. Insane little screaming demons.

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 10:50
If youre gonna be a true bike collecter, you need to own a mountian goat. The only bike to be designed and produced for general sale in New Zealand. Pure history. I have two of them!!

When can i pick one of them up???:woohoo:

As for the 2 smoker, I want preferably a rd250lc, but will settle for a rz350lc or a rd350lc. Alas I am not in the financial position atm. But it will be happening hopefully by the end of the year at the latest. Unless someone has a good RZ500 lying around...

froggyfrenchman
18th March 2006, 10:57
They are rare as rocking horse shit these days...

My two, will soon be carved up and turned into one working goat. Came out standard with disk wheels, with rotary hoe tyres, with the big deep cross cut tractor tread!

Sensei
18th March 2006, 16:06
Mine is the first Z50 Full resotre & repaint Germit green as boy wanted it to look like my KLX700R . Put the front light shroud onto it which looks Kool , Ported head made my own 1'' header with no muffler just to get the right sound runs on Avgas goes bloody well 50k with my 98 kgs on it

MidnightMike
18th March 2006, 16:16
My first not so good trade on tardme. However, I've started stripping the wee machine down and will thoughroughly(sp)

Bwahaha :laugh: - Thoroughly.

inlinefour
18th March 2006, 19:47
Bwahaha :laugh: - Thoroughly.

Must have been a blonde moment?:calm:

inlinefour
19th March 2006, 07:36
Stripping the wee thing down, cleaning and making necessary adjustments. Superglued a few cracks and they came up well. Also that mothers metal pollish is a great invention. The rear end of the bike is almost ready to be put back together, just need to get the rear guard plastic welded. It would appear that the bike coould well be a 1974 model and one of the first of that type. Would also appear that the bike has never been apart and all the bits are generally in a good order. I'm rather stoked and believe that its a better buy than what I initially thought. Will be ready to scream around the domain really soom:blip:

Been doing some research (at work, lol) and it would appear that these bikes was first released in 1973 and not 74 (or older) like i first believed. Hard to know with half the rubbish that is posted on the web. I guess its possible that the NZ bikes came out with plastic guards?

inlinefour
21st March 2006, 15:49
Much better than I expected and although there are a few little things needed to make it complete, its about 99% all there and working. Headlight & tail light go, just cant get the horn going yet, but I suspect that the battery is nackered. Here is a couple of pics...

Motoracer
24th March 2006, 01:02
Ha ha, COOL!

post up some stunt vids if you end up trying any IL4

It looks like a pretty good score. Compaired to the cheap Chinese pit bikes you get for more than that, I'd rather go with something a bit more reliable (like what you've got).

inlinefour
25th March 2006, 05:39
Ha ha, COOL!

post up some stunt vids if you end up trying any IL4

It looks like a pretty good score. Compaired to the cheap Chinese pit bikes you get for more than that, I'd rather go with something a bit more reliable (like what you've got).

However, I might know of where there is another one and if this is the case I'll be customising it and having some fun on it. :2thumbsup

lb99
11th April 2006, 20:58
I have one just like that, I paid $200, but it was a bit rougher (no exhaust, bent forks, well used) It is ultra reliable now though. I found one on ebay that was the same but '82 so thats what I always thought mine was, it has a plastic float in the carb, just like the one on the melody kart. I fixed one up for a kid I know. It was quite a bit different, headlight, no stock indicators, height adj. seat, metal guards, and a screw on gas cap, but it was still a Z50J not an A or anything. He got his from the tip. Also, I learned on one when I was a kid.

inlinefour
1st May 2006, 11:35
A 1999 tr50s, still makes the z50 look small though.