PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX600F Katana Owners please

Lord Derosso
19th March 2006, 11:03
I have the full fairing 1998 gold version and I am finding that been use to older 750's etc that the 5000rpm at 100kms is a bit high, even though the redline is at 12000rpm. The bike shop recommends a bigger front spronket which will reduce the rpm and of course add to engine life. Has anyone tried this? I am curious to know by how much the rpm would reduce at legal road speeds. Yes, I am aware that the Katana is designed to function at higher rpms and she really does take off once at and above this rpm level, but I am looking at mostly touring use. Lastly, I welcome any recommendations from other owners in general, as I would also recommend the Pirelli Speed Demons which have made a huge difference to the low speed handling. Cheers

Lord Derosso
19th March 2006, 11:09
Can anyone please direct me to an online manual for the GSX600F Katana?

Edbear
19th March 2006, 12:44
My bike is 5200rpm at 100km/h and sits nicely at that speed, though I only have a 130 rear tyre, (I found out after fitting the new one it came standard with a 150). I generally cruise at about 6000rpm and 110km/h. I don't recommend gearing it up too much as there's not a lot of torque under those revs. Mine comes on cam at about 7000 and really boogies from there right through to redline at 12, with a kick at about 9000. 5000rpm is only cruising for the GSX motors.:zzzz:

Lord Derosso
20th March 2006, 17:57
Thanks for that. The new tyres have made a grand of difference and the bike feels very light to handle now and the 5000-6500 range works well. She certainly likes the 90 - 120 kmph range and no need to change down to 5th gear, though I loved the top gear passing on my old Honda VF750 - great engines the V4's. My standard tyre for rear is 140, and I have run in the Pirellis now so the handling is great. Anything to watch out for with the GSX600's ? or they a good general allrounder? cheers

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 18:44
Yep. I cruise at 6000rpm which is about 115k. Great for touring. lots and lots of fun in the twisties. running Pirelli sport demons on mine and they like to go round corners really nicely.

I thought about changing my sprockets but under 5k and the bike really doesn't want to go anywhere. 5-7 and it is criusing. over 7 and the bike wants to leave you behind. Sure it is no R model but plenty of go to make roads fun.

Things to watch out for?

Police and cows.

Jabez
20th March 2006, 19:28
I had the sprokets & chain replaced with 1 tooth more on the front, but not much difference perceived. Need to get to 7k before things really start to happen (to keep up with the 1ltr + friends & wife on back!!).
Its a great handler & was rock steady around Puke at upto 200k.
Mine is fitted with Avon's and i am pleased with them.

Lord Derosso
21st March 2006, 20:26
I am most impressed so far with the Sports Demons. I had them both installed at same time and had to get back to the Wellington CBD in the wet
from Hutt Valley with brand new rubber yet I havent had any slipping at all , have done 100 kms on them and so took the bike around the bays for my first real decent fun ride and no problems. The handlings so light now you can track the corner lines with ease. The bike is far more comfortable at very slow traffic type speeds. Thanks for the advice Jabez - I think I will give the spronket change a miss seeing how everyone agrees that 5000rpms is low revs for legal road speeds. I havent gone pass 6500 yet so havent hit the power band a lot of people have commented on .
PS -
Whats with the L Plate designation. Its this based on how long one is a member? Cheers

cowboyz
21st March 2006, 20:54
really?? you haven't taken a bike that redlines at like 12 or 13000 past 6.5k yet? you have had it for more than 2 minutes haven't you?

Don't you do the customary lets see how fast my new bike can go test??

pzkpfw
21st March 2006, 21:06
Sorry to but in...

The GSX600F new is going for $9,999 and the GSX750F for $10,995.

Any comments (from GSX600F or 750 owners) on whether the extra $1,000 for the 750 is "worth it"?

Thanks,

Edbear
21st March 2006, 21:16
[QUOTE=cowboyz]really?? you haven't taken a bike that redlines at like 12 or 13000 past 6.5k yet? you have had it for more than 2 minutes haven't you?

Mmmm! I think I see your problem! Once you get it up to 7+ you'll understand just where we're coming from! I find there's plenty of passing power in 6th at about 5500 but have become more inclined to change down as I become more comfortable on the bike. I'm starting to really enjoy the power and acceleration now. As an MRB, (middle-aged returning biker), I've been a bit cautious while rebuilding my skills. The old girl gets up to the double-tonne pretty quick and handles very well for my skill level. Glad to see so many other 'F' owners on the site! I think the 600-F is an underrated machine and very good value. At just on 39000k's mine has plenty of life in it and I'm not aware of any particular problems, though someone mentioned second gear in hard used examples can give out. :2thumbsup

Lord Derosso
21st March 2006, 21:25
She came with the original tyres which were a bit cracked in places on the inner threads and common advice was it wasn't a great idea to do much riding until new rubber went on which was done recently. I have had several 750's and ridden all sorts so the speed thing is not a big issue. Been here done that for 30 years on numerous tours. Open road is something hopefully for this weekend as I do want to give her a decent run and get some experience in the rev lines. Does anyone know what the small L bracket is for on the inside of the rear muffer about 3 cms from the chain? It seems to have no function then for some form of suspension aid?? Since it has a hole in it I am presuming its used for some aid in changing tyres perhaps ???

Lord Derosso
21st March 2006, 21:32
I see you are a current 250cc rider. How many 750's have you owned? I ask because the world doesnt revolve around just this class and I have to admit I have been very pleasantly surprised by the 'little' 600.
The prices are good but do check out the other costs such as insurance. This can be quite different between the two bikes depending on your age, years riding, record, parking of the bike etc etc. I ma happy with my 600F as shes a better proformer than my last Honda VF750 and much better handler and better on gas and tyres. You need to add all the factors up and if you will be carrying a pillion a lot too.

cowboyz
21st March 2006, 21:49
pzk: I have never thought "gezz I wish I had more power..." The 600 is nice to ride. It is tame. the front wheel stays on the ground when you are hammering it. Close ratio gearbox is nice for the twisty stuff and you can bounce throuhg the gears nicely. In saying that another grand for the 750 might be a good idea. I havent ridden the 750F so Dont know.

my bike clicked 90000k coming home from work tonight. 10000 to go and my bike will be new again!!!! Still running like a rocket. I don't thrash it as much as people think I do but I don't ride at 100k/hr either.

Edbear
22nd March 2006, 08:07
The new 'F's" are pretty good value. The 750 has about the same peak HP as our older 600's but a smidge more torque. Only real difference is the styling, which I personally like but some think a bit naff. The 750 is worth the extra, but don't expect to smoke an older 600. Suzuki played about with the tuning of the 'F's' over the years and they ranged from about 75hp to 80hp with the earlier ones having the edge as Suzuki tried to tune them more to the sports-tourer role after replacing the 'F' with the 'R'.

dhunt
22nd March 2006, 12:49
I have the full fairing 1998 gold version and I am finding that been use to older 750's etc that the 5000rpm at 100kms is a bit high, even though the redline is at 12000rpm. The bike shop recommends a bigger front spronket which will reduce the rpm and of course add to engine life. Has anyone tried this? I am curious to know by how much the rpm would reduce at legal road speeds. Yes, I am aware that the Katana is designed to function at higher rpms and she really does take off once at and above this rpm level, but I am looking at mostly touring use. Lastly, I welcome any recommendations from other owners in general, as I would also recommend the Pirelli Speed Demons which have made a huge difference to the low speed handling. Cheers
Nope haven't ever thought about gearing it up at all. If anything I think I would gear it down so you can use a bit more of the power and get some more acceration. In my opinion 5000rpm is quite low, my 600 really sees less 6-7k out of town and it's quite happly chugging away like that as long as I want.

I've got the printed manuals for the older F's but I would think they are still fairly similar in later years. I haven't seen anything online for them either.

pzkpfw
22nd March 2006, 18:39
Thanks for the comments.

Whatever I buy will be with me for a while, so good to get this advice.

Cheers,

Lord Derosso
23rd March 2006, 14:22
I understand the 1998 600 has 86HP and the latest only about 75HP. Thats a lot of difference. Was this due to increasing restrictions in UK & Europe? I noticed this when looking at a website that the history of different models. I think its at Suzuki.com someones site with pictures of each model and specs.

Lord Derosso
25th March 2006, 09:21
I was giving the bike a good check over last weekend and noticed a L bracket welded to the inside lefthand rear exhaust. It has a hole in its base and is located about 3cms away from the chain. Now I have owned all sorts of bikes but cant work out what purpose this thing serves. Since the 600F has no centre stand, is it possible that this is some sort of aid for back wheel removal on open road situations? Also, is it possible to actually get a centre stand for the 600F as I notice that there seems to be the mounts for one on either side of the rear mono shock?? I notice someone on site is selling what I believe are called paddock stands but if I can get a centre stand that would be cool, though then theres the question regarding clearance.

cowboyz
25th March 2006, 09:37
mine has a centre stand. Not quite sure of the bracket you are talking about.

Lord Derosso
25th March 2006, 09:54
If you check out the picture on my profile and visualise the rear footpeg but on the left side, its mounted under the exhaust pipe about this area. Its definitely part of the standard exhaust, but having a large hole in its base gets me thinking its got some purpose other than a deflector in case the chain comes off perhaps? . This model didnt come with a centre stand per the shop . Darn pain at times. How long have you had the sports demons on for? Are they giving good wear? I would rather pay for rubber that works well than worry about the distance though.

cowboyz
25th March 2006, 10:16
only had the new tires for a couple of weeks. probably done 500k on them so far. That gravel ride I been bitching about gave them a good scrub up but yeah, I am happy with them.

just checked out the triangle bit on my bike. The centre stand rests on it when folded up. had me a bit buggered what you were talking about there for a bit but I see the light now. I would hate to think what they would charge you for a centre stand.

Lord Derosso
25th March 2006, 16:29
Thanks for that. I checked the manual and its only the 750 version that came with the centre stand. Kind of strange when the pipes are different etc.
but they still welded that bracket on so it certainly looks like the option is intended to be availalbe. Must look into it more as its darn handly when doing maintenance and checking tyres etc. Perhaps pick one up second hand. cheers

quickbuck
25th March 2006, 17:07
sold it to my best mate it was that good. I went down in weight and up in HP and back a few years when I sold it a couple of years ago.

The GSX served me well when I put thousands of k's on it (about 23 mles) within a short space of time (18months).
Well, it is a short space of time for me.

As for gearing, the standard is very econimical for open road crusing.
If you gear it up the engine will no longer be making enough power at the same throttle setting to push the bike along at 100k. This will make it thirsty. It may seem like it is reving a bit at first, but it is pulling the same revs/km/hr as my CBR. CBR has 1000 RPM more, but then again they are not quite in the same class (The GSX tours better).

The undweneath looks like there was a centre stand there once (probably many years ago), but they didn't include it with the later modles. They may have changed the rear suspension linkages so it couldn't be fitted. Who knows?

Oh, and there are two versions of 600FV in NZ, one is from Calafornia (like mine was), and has a fan that stays on for a couple of minutes after you turn the key off (to stop fuel vapiours or something) and has an 18 litre tank. The other one has a 20 litre tank and doesn't have the fan (weights 2kg less too).

Have fun on your 600, they are great little bikes.

stevedee
25th March 2006, 17:56
Have you had a look here for the manual that you are after http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556&highlight=Manuals

spd :-)

Lord Derosso
26th March 2006, 10:48
Checked out the spare parts page and see theres a center stand shown. Think I would rather spend the $ on a wheel under stand as used in shops and keep the extraweight off and keep the lines of the bike clean. Curious no ladies posting on the GSX600F as I would have thought it would be a popular model being so low and easy to ride. Now, is there any way I can adjust the handlebars to bring them directly back say three inches? Seems a common enquiry. Shouldnt change the handling but want to allow myself to avoid slumping too much when riding around town - squashed gonads effect. Its OK once the speeds up but most of my riding is at inner city speeds. I am 5 10''.

quickbuck
27th March 2006, 19:49
Short answer is No. I don't think you can adjust them in any way.

The only thing I can suggest is that ride a CBR for a week, and then jump back on the GSX. After the CBR you will feel like you are sitting very upright.

Lord Derosso
27th March 2006, 23:25
Took her up to Upper Hutt and over Haywards Hill at long long last and yes 120+ is really nothing and now tyre's broken in I loved the ride. Wow. Its been years since I ridden that road but great great small trip of 45 miles and heaps of fellow riders on route. Pity about the darn wind on the Porirua side though.I wasnt even in 6th a lot of the time because at last I followed advice and kept her in 6000+ and wow leaves all the old 750's for dead for fun.

Lord Derosso
28th March 2006, 17:38
Is the engine noise once the bikes had a good long blat. Its not a camchain noise but more like a free motion loosen up engine rumble. And no, I am not talking about the hint of any cyclinder slap and also the engine omits no exhaust smoke, as I should expect with only 2600 miles on the clock ! I only notice this as I say if the engine is well warmed up after a few miles. Nothing to fret about I suppose because the engine is surrounded by the full fairing so you would expect to hear a different sound to that of open to air four's. Can any other owners comment on the noise their engines make after a good ride?

cowboyz
28th March 2006, 17:57
not sure. My bike purrs. Love the sound of it. If it is not using oil and no breaking sounds then that is all good.

Cookie
29th March 2006, 09:22
Welcome to KB Lord Derosso!

Sarge was just showing me a few GSX F's last week. Nice.

Someone mentioned a site which gives a good overview of the models - this might be it - worth a look anyway if these bikes interest you.

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX600F.shtml
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX750F.shtml

They are certainly interesting me at present because I am looking for a machine which is managable in heavy traffic but enjoys the open road.

I just have to sell my car to finance this project. Hmmmm....

Lord Derosso
1st April 2006, 10:30
Well the latest models are approx $10000 - $11000 for the 600 & 750 which is a great price and I doubt wont be around much due to the fall of the $. A good blat up to Whangarei type bike and with good rubber, she steers to a straight stop in heavy traffic. Seating is very low so easy to get both feet on the ground and comfortable though better at higher speeds. I have found with new speed demons on both front and back the handling is far lighter and she can bounce around potholes on a dime so to speak. Recommend a test ride. I have checked out that site before and it doesnt have the Americian version as in my profile picture but similar to the 1997F model. Not surprised you want to get rid of the car.. even in Wellington the traffic is becoming horroreous. cheers

Cookie
1st April 2006, 19:34
Well just got the okay from the boss (Mrs Cookie) to sell my car and get another bike. (An important step for those who think they can arrive home with a new bike unannounced). I don't know if "new" is going to be an option but there are some good second hand ones about.

A few things to do.

1. Sell Car
2. Go from Restricted to Full
3. Sell existing bike.

By the time I finish that, my choice of make and model may have changed (I am enjoying being fickle in the world of bikes. So many bikes, so little time....)

OMG
2nd April 2006, 21:23
Well just got the okay from the boss (Mrs Cookie) to sell my car and get another bike. (An important step for those who think they can arrive home with a new bike unannounced). I don't know if "new" is going to be an option but there are some good second hand ones about.

A few things to do.

1. Sell Car
2. Go from Restricted to Full
3. Sell existing bike.

I just got my full licence on Tuesday, and a 98 600F yesterday and I haven't stopped smiling since. So go get your licence (if you don't speed, and don't crash you should be right!) and get shopping.

Cookie
2nd April 2006, 21:45
Thanks mate. Did some work tidying up the car this weekend.

What's it cost different people to insure one of these? (a 600F or 750F). I know that's like asking how long is a piece of string but I am just interested in what people pay. I imagine the insurance companies don't hit you with the sorts of fees the GSX "R" guys get. My 250cc cost about 300 a year or so from memory. I guess I can expect a step up from that...

Lord Derosso
3rd April 2006, 08:05
What version/colour is she please? Similar to the one on my profile or is it the Black style? As for insurance Cookie.... I am paying $600 for my first year for full insurance and thats only due to age, off street parking, no claims and no tickets last 5years. Also the CC's make a big difference which is why the 600 class is worth looking at. You get great handling, reasonable HP and better on tyres and insurance etc. Though if I was going to do a lot of pillion riding, I would be tempted to get a 750+. Also re insurance, I think I could have claimed another bonus for getting a kronite lock but not sure. At least they used to years ago so you might want to check it all out. Cheers

OMG
3rd April 2006, 19:57
Hey Lord Derosso, exactly the same as yours. I've had it 3 days now and lovin it.:niceone:

Lord Derosso
3rd April 2006, 20:14
I am in Wellington South so will keep an eye open for you. I understand theres a Suzuki club meet at Wellington Motorcycles each month end but they can give you more information if interested - check their website. I am hoping to get on a few rides this coming summer with some of the local riders. Would like to get a few people interested in staying overnight at Castlepoint and going fishing off the reef there mid summer perhaps. Cheers

Lord Derosso
3rd April 2006, 20:29
When, not if, but when because you will do this, you finally get the urge to have alook under that nice big golden tank... make sure you have a friend around and be darn careful you dont lost the tank seat rubbers down into the engine. I did this with one and had to ride the bike up and down the drive and brake hard to dislodge the darn thing and couldnt get the darn thing in by myself because the darn tank is sooooo annoying awkward and thats where the friend comes in. They hold it up out of the way.
HAY ! Its my birthday and that means I have had my full licence for 27 years today, though in my day you could run around on a 'learners' for ages which I did. Just use to do mostly trail riding so didnt go for my full until I got a road bike in 1979. Have fun and I will keep my eyes open for you.

OMG
3rd April 2006, 20:43
b keen for rides in the summer. Getting the bike at the onset of the chilly season ain't so clever.

Thanks for the warning, but I'm such a mechancial retard it is best if I just leave things alone.

Lord Derosso
4th April 2006, 07:59
Funny that... the girls at work asked me why the hell I wanted to take the tank off in the first place if nothing was wrong! Point is I wanted to check the condition of the top end as you cant really see anything under the fairing and all. I still plan to use the bike the odd day over winter. Funny about Wellington. Our winters seem a lot more mild than 25yrs ago and we do get the odd nice settled patches. Cant be more wind than what we have had the last 6 months.