PDA

View Full Version : Instrument lights issues

nudemetalz
19th March 2006, 20:04
Gidday,

Been going through my ZX-10 today doing all of the little jobs on it that need doing getting ready for my big trip down south.
Anyway, when I bought her, the instument backing lights didn't work.
No probs I thought, just replace the globes.
So I did that, but still no go. Check the main wiring plugs etc to no avail. I have a wiring diagram and made sure there were no loose wires under the panel.

Question is, do Kwakas of that vintage have a common earth or seperate earth for these sort of lights?

(ie is there a quick fix short of getting a bike sparky in.)

Mitch
19th March 2006, 22:42
In all of that you never mentioned checking the fuse..........?????????

nudemetalz
19th March 2006, 23:00
Sorry, I should have put that in. I checked under the seat in the fusebox and unfort there's not a seperate one for the clock's lights only headlight, taillight and indicators. These are all fine.

I hate bike electric problems !!!:argh:

Ixion
19th March 2006, 23:07
First check if you have current to the lamps. You'll need a voltmeter or a known good working bulb, with some long leads attached. Secure one lead of meter or test bulb to the battery earth (don't assume bare metal is earth on modern bikes).

Now with the other wire, touch it to the bare end bit of the lead going to one of the bulbs. If you get current (meter reading or testbulb lights up) then the problem is either dud bulb or non earthed. If not, then you don't have current getting to the bulbs. Either a loose wire, wire in wrong hole or switch problem.

Track back down the line doing the test thing (ie trace the feed wire into one of the instrument bulbs, and see where it comes from , test there. And so on back

But if ALL the instrument bulbs are out odds are it's either a dud switch, or a loose/misplaced wire.

Electrics are easy so long as you are logical and make no assumptions. And you remember the special way to hold your tongue, and the clouds are the right shape.

nudemetalz
19th March 2006, 23:28
Thanks Ixion. You reckon you're right there about it being a dud switch etc.
I replaced a couple of the globes with new ones just to test but no go, so must be a wire or switch somewhere for sure.

Cheers,
NDMz

T.W.R
19th March 2006, 23:29
your instrument lights are wired in with the tail & park lights, seperate to the main headlights:shifty:

nudemetalz
19th March 2006, 23:30
Funnily enough, I replaced one of the tail lights and the park light today.
However, the clocks lights still weren't going after that.

T.W.R
19th March 2006, 23:43
:whistle: read that earlier in you email :whistle: i found out with mine the hardway blasting back home from the ferry late night through the hundalees, bombin along the road and all the instrument lights went out, still had headlights, stopped & no tail or number plate lights either. replaced the fuse & all go again.
later inspection found a wire rubbed through & earthed out.

so have a good check over the wiring particulary up around the frame work at the headstock area ;)

What?
20th March 2006, 06:27
If your tail light works, it ain't the switch.
Do like Ixion said - if you have power at a light socket, your problem is a faulty / loose / broken earth wire (yes, it is a common earth for all the instrument lights).
On the other hand, if there is no power at the socket, you have a broken power wire. Use your test light or multi meter and follow the wire backwards until you find where the problem is. Chances are it is a loose pin in a multi-plug.
If you find you have power at one plug, but not the next, just run a new length of wire along that section and tape it to tie outside of the loom - it is not hard to put new connectors into the multi-con blocks.
And don't forget to hold your mouth right...

nudemetalz
20th March 2006, 06:53
ha ha, I love it,...it's so true about holding your mouth right. I use that quite often !!!

Thanks guys,...I have considered the "new circuit" approach, but thought I could perhaps at least give the fault-finding approach a go attempt. I'll have another go tonight with a multimeter.

Cheers

nudemetalz
22nd March 2006, 23:29
Hiya,

Lights are all go now !!

After a lot of trial and error I found the problem. Under the factory shrinkwrap, the 1:5 wire connection had broken. So repairs were made, shrinkwrap taped up and ....voila,...all go.

All is good.

NDMz

nudemetalz
23rd March 2006, 09:27
Cheers Sniper