PDA

View Full Version : Chain removal on fxr150?

bobsmith
19th March 2006, 20:45
Ok the user's manual for fxr150 says that the chain is a "continous drive chain" and it does not use a master link.....

So how would I go about removing this? (I'm wanting to give it a clean when I get the bike)

Oh and has anyone has had luck in finding workshop manual for fxr150? I don't mind paying a bit for it...

Thanks

Ixion
19th March 2006, 21:42
Grr, Blurdy silly damn things Hates them we does, continuous chains:argh: :angry2: :brick: And on a 150cc . WTF

Y' can get the chain OFF easy enough. Angle grinder does it real fast. Then put it back with a connecting link like sensible folk use.

If you want the "proper" answer it is that you must unrivet it and rerivit it. Unless you are lucky and it does not go round the swing arm, in which case you may be able to pull of the front sprocket and slip the chain out.

Bloody stupid things. In 40 years of riding, I have *never* known a PROPERLY FITTED spring link chain connecter to fail.

bobsmith
20th March 2006, 07:50
.... fun..... I might try cleaning it to the best of my abilities when it's still on the bike.....

Flyingpony
20th March 2006, 08:27
Unfortunately it does wrap around the swing arm as they say.

It's easy to clean it while still fitted. Just start at the rear sprocket and clean it as you slowly rotate the wheel. Rotate it forwards so your clean chain doesn't instantly get made dirty again.

I use a tiny brush with kero to clean and wipe down chain with cloth. Then apply oil with paint brush and done. Too much oil and you'll find the rear brake very quick stops working :gob: Nothing that a rub with the fingers won't fix.

Workshop manual: Haven't seen one.