PDA

View Full Version : Here is where not to go.

cowboyz
19th March 2006, 21:03
Headed out this morning on a ride. Haven't been out for a little while so was really looking forward to it. Bonez invited us on a ride that his mate was organizing and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So up early and off over to the neighbours for some good home cooking (ta Meanie) and we get ourselves sorted and head over to palmytown. The big VN1500 and my screaming GSX600 looking forward to a great day out.

Sitting at the meeting place with no one around we start discussing if the time was the "new" time or the "old" time but all is well as bike started to pull up. Ducati 500, SV1000, Shadow, CBR1100,GB400, CX?500 with sidecar I forget the others but about 14 bikes showed up. This is going to be great.

So off towards Wanganui to start with. Out in front following the CBR and keeping good pace and enjoying the early morning sun.

Stopped for a chat at Wanganui and then headed toward Raetahi. Turned off down river road towards Pirikiki (who cares if I got the name wrong because I am NEVER going back there) The first bit of the road was fun. nice twisty bits and getting the bike going with a bit of pace. Then came the gravel. A TAD of gravel. Here is where we point out that in this case TAD means about 45km. Which felt like 450km. After 3 and a half hours on route I had covered 174km! All I can say is thank christ the scenery was so damn good. Gravel on a sportsbike is not fun. Especially one that you are really quite fond of that would be very very pissed off if I dropped it.
Made it through. ... finally... and were rewarded with some quick sweepers through the rest of the way to Raetahi. A stop for a bitch season on how much I hate gravel and we were away again. The day improved a great deal and we went through to Waioru and then down to Kimbolton. Stopped for a drink. Great road through there. No gravel anywhere to be found.

Then back up to Apiti and through the twisty roads through to home.

All in all it was a good day. Plenty of good roads to cloud the memory of that evil gravel road.

Anyway, Pics ahoy..

Ixion
19th March 2006, 21:35
Oh oh oh. Where is it? What a bugger that all the decent gravel roads are so far away. Lucky bugger, wish I had 45km of gravel handy. Oh, and if a BMW-RT can handle gravel, anything can.

Bonez
19th March 2006, 21:46
Doug must have sorted the Ducs electric gremlims as the rope wasn't required. It seems toodling along at between 2-3000rpm with the light on and accidently selecting park instead of OFF at Ratahae, didn't do the GBs battery much good so it's on trickle charge overnight. Thank goodness for kickstarts. Hope it didn't catch something from the Pantah :oi-grr: Am going to remove the tank after work tomorrow and give the thing a good degunge, clean connections etc. My home built air filter seems to be doing the trick, not a sign of dust on the carb intake portion of the airbox. James VNs going to keep him busy next week with a
toothbush...................

Pantahs make good pissing posts for dogs it seems.:killingme

One broken clutch cable on a GSX600 and fading front brake on the Shadow wasn't too bad an attrition rate considering all the jarring all the bikes got on that TAD bit of gravel. Along with trying to avoid a date with a few of Rodgers girlfreinds [the cx500 combo guy-nice to see him out and about again]-umm I mean sheep and the odd cattle beast just to add variety. Hope he signs up with KB.

Was a quite bit of new seal on the Mangaweka/Kimbolton and Apiti/West Pahongina Valley Road. So a fare bit of pea gravel was still present.

We also had a GN250 with us the whole trip, so those that dish them don't know shit. They are a very capable wee m/c. :bleh: A Guzzi V50 was with us too. Quite a
broad spectrem of bikes really- MT-01 there as well.

I'd do it again on the CB550 happily enough now I know the area. It's funny that the second time on a stretch of road like that it seems a lot shorter.

Meanie
19th March 2006, 21:57
Headed out this morning on a ride. Haven't been out for a little while so was really looking forward to it. Bonez invited us on a ride that his mate was organizing and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So up early and off over to the neighbours for some good home cooking (ta Meanie) and we get ourselves sorted and head over to palmytown. The big VN1500 and my screaming GSX600 looking forward to a great day out.

Sitting at the meeting place with no one around we start discussing if the time was the "new" time or the "old" time but all is well as bike started to pull up. Ducati 500, SV1000, Shadow, CBR1100,GB400, CX?500 with sidecar I forget the others but about 14 bikes showed up. This is going to be great.

So off towards Wanganui to start with. Out in front following the CBR and keeping good pace and enjoying the early morning sun.

Stopped for a chat at Wanganui and then headed toward Raetahi. Turned off down river road towards Pirikiki (who cares if I got the name wrong because I am NEVER going back there) The first bit of the road was fun. nice twisty bits and getting the bike going with a bit of pace. Then came the gravel. A TAD of gravel. Here is where we point out that in this case TAD means about 45km. Which felt like 450km. After 3 and a half hours on route I had covered 174km! All I can say is thank christ the scenery was so damn good. Gravel on a sportsbike is not fun. Especially one that you are really quite fond of that would be very very pissed off if I dropped it.
Made it through. ... finally... and were rewarded with some quick sweepers through the rest of the way to Raetahi. A stop for a bitch season on how much I hate gravel and we were away again. The day improved a great deal and we went through to Waioru and then down to Kimbolton. Stopped for a drink. Great road through there. No gravel anywhere to be found.

All in all it was a good day. Plenty of good roads to cloud the memory of that evil gravel road.

Anyway, Pics ahoy..
You forgot to mention the rutts in the gravel roads, like giant judder bars, i wasnt aware we were going for a trail ride
A good day however with a few laughs and better than mowing lawns

marty
19th March 2006, 23:43
that's PIPIRIKI. first of the big rapids as you head upstream. was the furtherest up the river that the paddle boats could go. kayaked in and out of there a few times last century. cool place, but the seal only restarts at Koroniti i think.

Similar situation on the Coro Loop yesterday... only like 1 or 2 ks worth of gravel, but was wet and didn't fancy dropping down into the gorge ;)

Bonez
20th March 2006, 05:03
You forgot to mention the rutts in the gravel roads, like giant judder bars, i wasnt aware we were going for a trail ride
A good day however with a few laughs and better than mowing lawnsSure does. Thought I was going to loose the GB in one of the pot holes on the road works just south of Taupo though. :gob: Look fwd to doing the Wangas river on the boat next weekend. It'll be a bit more relax I feel. Been up since old 5am/new 4 am :eek5: so might just pop out to the play pen for a fiddle................................

Bonez
20th March 2006, 05:06
Oh oh oh. Where is it? What a bugger that all the decent gravel roads are so far away. Lucky bugger, wish I had 45km of gravel handy. What? You mean it's all seal up your way? Must be quite boring riding then ;). Some parts where only one car width wide. Never heard any bangos playing :violin: so the locals must be freindly enough. As Coyboyz mentioned, it was very senic. One part there I was riding a ways by myself and got to wondering where the hell am I, then around a corner a parked on a concrete bridge, funnily enough the widest part of the road on the whole gravel stretch, was Rodger giving the CX a rest. It needed to cool down a bit. We contemplated our navels for a bit and then the Pantah, with the GN250 following in hot pursuit :chase: caught up and off again we went.

The SV and MT guys were having a good gander at the places along the way, seperating from us Ratahea, after a munch and drink at the cafe and went on via a sealed backroad to Wangas. Fields Road? :scooter:

combo man
20th March 2006, 06:28
Yeah, not too bad a ride! Mind you I did have a 3rd wheel to hold me up! Where we going next?

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 07:41
Whereever it is I vote you dont set the route...

ps.. good to see you made it on here.

XTC
20th March 2006, 08:42
Mmmmm I like gravel.....
Did you see all those tractors parked outside the farm supplies shop in that 4th photo??:ride:

dhunt
20th March 2006, 08:51

Anyway, Pics ahoy..

Sounds like you guys had lots of fun. I hope you managed to keep hold of your keys all the way home :Pokey:

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 09:03
yes. I have them tied to the bike now. such a good idea that is.

side point. I have my old triple clamp here and the guys in town can make up some keys for it if you want it. I REALLY appreciate your help that day getting my bike back running after being such a dumb arse and losing my keys (still cant believe that)

dhunt
20th March 2006, 09:09
yes. I have them tied to the bike now. such a good idea that is.

side point. I have my old triple clamp here and the guys in town can make up some keys for it if you want it. I REALLY appreciate your help that day getting my bike back running after being such a dumb arse and losing my keys (still cant believe that)
If you want to you can drop the triple clamp back my flat old flat(I've still got lots of stuff there and my brother is staying there, it might come in handy sometime and also the keys that you didn't end up using (I think I gave you a set of 3? they might still fit something useful) but don't worry about getting some keys made up for your barrel.

BTW my brother got a job with drake working in cold storage so thanks for getting us on to that.

Free to Ride
20th March 2006, 09:27
As the GN250 rider thanks guys!! Could have done without the gravel aye, but a lot more confident on all those windy roads (except the one with the sheep that I nearly bowled - would have been tasty for tea though). Good ride, and mainly enjoyable.

cowpoos
20th March 2006, 10:00
Along with trying to avoid a date with a few of Rodgers girlfreinds [the cx500 combo guy-nice to see him out and about again]-umm I mean sheep and the odd cattle beast just to add variety. .

weres this road lad?

phantom
20th March 2006, 10:14
Sounds like a great day, the mighty GBs arent too bad in the gravel eh? Finally got round to replacing the speedo drive gearbox in mine on Sunday so don't have to sweat it when I have a police man following me not knowing what speed I'm travelling

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 10:16
weres this road lad?

just go up to wanganui and dont cross the bridge. turn right off the main road and carry on up there till about a k or so out of town and it is too the left. There is a big scenic sign there. It is tarseal for about 15k or so (just to get you keen) and then it turns to shit. And just gets worse. Every now and then there is a concrete bridge on a corner that is hard tarmac just to give you hope but no. The gravel continues. on and on and on and on .......

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 14:44
well, hopped on my bike today and the gravel ride yesterday became apparent. The triple clamp had shaken loose. Did up the bolt on the steering head bearings with my fingers. Who would have thought that riding on that much gravel would be bad for a sportsbike??? Ok, got over that and checked my chain. Dust and lube don't mix too well... actually.. they mix really well. bugger. so a clean of the chain was on order.... might have to do the replacement thing sooner than later.. Lets stay away from gravel from now on huh???

Meanie
20th March 2006, 15:16
well, hopped on my bike today and the gravel ride yesterday became apparent. The triple clamp had shaken loose. Did up the bolt on the steering head bearings with my fingers. Who would have thought that riding on that much gravel would be bad for a sportsbike??? Ok, got over that and checked my chain. Dust and lube don't mix too well... actually.. they mix really well. bugger. so a clean of the chain was on order.... might have to do the replacement thing sooner than later.. Lets stay away from gravel from now on huh???
Preventative maintenance :rofl:
I am impressed Lance

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 15:42
dont knock it . you havent had a chance to check out whats fallen loose on that big 1500 yet...

riffer
20th March 2006, 16:05
You lucky bugger.

My first wife's father used to run the Bridge to Nowhere Jet Boats at Pipiriki, and we spent many years up there.

Great place to ride horse and thrash jetboats, hunt pigs and deer and hoon around on dirt bikes. My father in law had an old TS250ER I used to thrash on those roads so I know them well.

You're pretty bloody lucky you didn't get collected by a drunk local at 160km/hr, sideays in a beaten up Kingswood, one arm out the window.

One of my favourite places in the country. If you ever get the opportunity, rent out some canoes and go for a cruise down the river. Or take the jetboat tour. My FIL doesn't do it any more but it's a good ride.

I'd still love to know how the Rusties got a trailbike up to the Bridge to Nowhere though ...

Free to Ride
20th March 2006, 17:03

well I took my bike down to the dealers for its warranty check up- plus my lights blew on the way home last night (fun riding in the dark) and I needed a new chain - I was told it wasnt even worth repairing!! - so I agree - "Lets stay away from the gravel."

Meanie
20th March 2006, 19:01
Yeah, not too bad a ride! Mind you I did have a 3rd wheel to hold me up! Where we going next?
Two words
Gravel Rash:oi-grr:

welcome to the site by the way

Bonez
20th March 2006, 19:04
well I took my bike down to the dealers for its warranty check up- plus my lights blew on the way home last night (fun riding in the dark) and I needed a new chain - I was told it wasnt even worth repairing!! - so I agree - "Lets stay away from the gravel."Turns out the GBs battery is totally stuffed. After a night on charge still no electric start or horn. Exchanged the rectifier/reg unit with a spare I have then went for a 20 odd k run. Pretty lights all still doing strange things. Jumpered to Gerties battery when I got home ( just a bright idea that ran through the grey matter on the ride), pushed the starter and BROOM!! BROOM!! Still no beep beeb(shouldn't have played with it as it was making a buzz buzz this morning) yet but getting there. Thank goodness for the kickstarter.

Krusti
20th March 2006, 19:07
Mmmmm I like gravel.....
Did you see all those tractors parked outside the farm supplies shop in that 4th photo??:ride:

Looks like one guy had his own coffin?:laugh:

Meanie
20th March 2006, 19:10
As the GN250 rider thanks guys!! Could have done without the gravel aye, but a lot more confident on all those windy roads (except the one with the sheep that I nearly bowled - would have been tasty for tea though). Good ride, and mainly enjoyable.
Welcome to kb you did well to keep up on the gn :2thumbsup

Bonez
20th March 2006, 19:14
Yeah, not too bad a ride! Mind you I did have a 3rd wheel to hold me up! Where we going next?Welcome to KB you evil little man. ;)

Meanie
20th March 2006, 19:18
Looks like one guy had his own coffin?:laugh:
After we all got off that gravel road he nearly ended up in that coffin:bash:

Meanie
20th March 2006, 19:22
well I took my bike down to the dealers for its warranty check up- plus my lights blew on the way home last night (fun riding in the dark) and I needed a new chain - I was told it wasnt even worth repairing!! - so I agree - "Lets stay away from the gravel."
Sigh thank kawi for shaft drive:yeah:

Lazy7
20th March 2006, 19:26
those roads would be wicked fun in my mitsi!

oh wait. bike forum. forgot. um er.. yeah. bad luck there. :pinch:

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 19:32
After we all got off that gravel road he nearly ended up in that coffin:bash:

He is bloody lucky that cafe in Raetahi doesn't sell large bats

Bonez
20th March 2006, 19:45
Welcome to kb you did well to keep up on the gn :2thumbsupA bloody natural on a m/c if you ask me:ride: . Very smooth riding indeed. :ride: I see the Kombo Kid had to shine his little light for her to get home. :msn-wink: Be carefull know, he's contagious............................

Now as for that VN rider. H e was hogging up ALL the road :blip:

Meanie
20th March 2006, 20:08
A bloody natural on a m/c if you ask me:ride: . Very smooth riding indeed. :ride: I see the Kombo Kid had to shine his little light for her to get home. :msn-wink: Be carefull know, he's contagious............................

Now as for that VN rider. H e was hogging up ALL the road :blip:
Shes a big beast bonez and needs a lot of room

cowboyz
20th March 2006, 20:32
the suzuki had no problems getting past...:Pokey:

seriously though Next time we need a sacrificial bike on the ride next time. Every time we go out someones bike breaks and it would be nice to have it not be mine..

Free to Ride
21st March 2006, 12:43
[QUOTE=Bonez]A bloody natural on a m/c if you ask me:ride: . Very smooth riding indeed. :ride: I see the Kombo Kid had to shine his little light for her to get home. :msn-wink: Be carefull know, he's contagious............................

no worries Bonez - he left me at Bunnythorpe - I slowly went home the rest of the way.

But hey, I have a new chain and lights - where's our next trip - maybe Cowboyz better choose so we know we have no gravel!

cowboyz
21st March 2006, 15:12
i happy to organise a ride. have to see how many $$ and what other things I have going on but maybe in a couple of weeks. I GUARENTEE no gravel.

SDU
21st March 2006, 15:22
Sounds like you had a good mix of bikes and all had a good ride, the pics look good. As for the gravel just think of it as adventure riding-without the dirt tracks. Is there a way to ride to that bridge? Is it an interesting ride getting to it?
If we ever get up your way to visit the rallies, I'll have to try to get them to show us where to go to get to Pipiriki. thanks for educating on new places to ride.
cheers
SDU

riffer
21st March 2006, 15:49
Some stuff on the Whanganui River:

http://www.rivernz.com/journeys_on_the_wanganui/
http://www.bridgetonowhere-lodge.co.nz/
http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/attractions/adventure/jet-boating/wanganui/bridge-to-nowhere/

cowboyz
21st March 2006, 16:00
jezz. that makes it look great. probably good idea taking a cage up there though. I am thinking of getting the little woman to do a canoe trip down there. It looks great. See, the weekend isn't a complete waste. Might have found something that the wife and I can do together... -- damn.. that is another day I won't be out riding....!

Meanie
21st March 2006, 16:53
jezz. that makes it look great. probably good idea taking a cage up there though. I am thinking of getting the little woman to do a canoe trip down there. It looks great. See, the weekend isn't a complete waste. Might have found something that the wife and I can do together... -- damn.. that is another day I won't be out riding....!
Careful Cowboyz she maybe reading this, then youll have to start sucking up all over again for that new bike :rofl:

Bonez
21st March 2006, 17:19
No need to use a hose at all. A 3 inch paint brush and a vacuum cleaner does the trick. The dust is that easy to remove-no sprot bike farinyou see :Punk: I'm going to take the countershaft cover off clean the area, chain off and soak it in a bath of diesol or kero. Then reoil/grease. Sould almost be as good as new once I've finished. :sunny: Bugger all exra play after the ride. Mind you it could be because of the dust..................:shit:

combo man
21st March 2006, 17:22
Well, I enjoyed the day! Christ, yid think there was 200ks of gravel, instead of a tad! So, who is organising the next one, coz if it's not posted soon, I'll have to do it! I got a few ideas.............!

Bonez
21st March 2006, 17:58
Well, I enjoyed the day! Christ, yid think there was 200ks of gravel, instead of a tad! So, who is organising the next one, coz if it's not posted soon, I'll have to do it! I got a few ideas.............!We could all meet at home and run through some ideas if you guys/guyeses like. Talked to Steve at Quins on the phone today . Seems like a likely candidate as well. In his words though he "needs to get something relaible ;)" Heard something about a gent on a GB giving it stick :ride:

combo man
21st March 2006, 22:00
We could all meet at home and run through some ideas if you guys/guyeses like. Talked to Steve at Quins on the phone today . Seems like a likely candidate as well. In his words though he "needs to get something relaible ;)" Heard something about a gent on a GB giving it stick :ride:

Name the time Bonezy, I'll be there! I might be able ta find a little gravel on the way perhaps!

sAsLEX
21st March 2006, 23:18
(except the one with the sheep that I nearly bowled - would have been tasty for tea though)

Just gas up and hold on!
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4426

took a while to dig that pic up!

Meanie
22nd March 2006, 19:51
[ James VNs going to keep him busy next week with a

Ive just spent two hours polishing and only done the tank forward what a bloody mess
How about a working bee :blip: i hear many hands make light work

Bonez
23rd March 2006, 16:05
[ James VNs going to keep him busy next week with a

Ive just spent two hours polishing and only done the tank forward what a bloody mess
How about a working bee :blip: i hear many hands make light workTurns out there may be a ride to Wangamomina or somesuch destination. Only a smiggin of gravel, which I think is a tinsey winsey bit less than a tad.

Bonez
23rd March 2006, 16:56
i happy to organise a ride. have to see how many $$ and what other things I have going on but maybe in a couple of weeks. I GUARENTEE no gravel.BOOOORRRRING!!! :whistle:

madguzzi
23rd March 2006, 20:02
Hi Fellas, I Had a ball on the ride up the gravel and down the gravel. I guess its because you guys was at the back??? Ha Ha . Whats the probs with cleaning??? Its just rained for two days?? Do your pretty little bikes melt with water applied?? HA HA HA! The Itialian stuff must go beter as a Sports bike on the Gravel? Maybe I should take an old pom bike on the next gravel ride, It may give me something to do while waiting next time!!!! What do you think Combo Boy????.

combo man
23rd March 2006, 23:03
Sounds good to me madguzzi. Perhaps if these guys don't like getting their bikes dirty, they should buy a Harley and hang around Anza on a Saturday and talk about riding instead! Wont have ta clean the bike afterwards!

cowboyz
24th March 2006, 05:24
hey hey be careful what you are saying there matey.. remember, You ride a honda, I ride a suzuki.. It is not hard for me to catch you.

seriously, it was a fun day and looking forward to the next one, just without the gravel. weather looks like its going to be sitting in front of the tv weekend this weekend.

Free to Ride
24th March 2006, 10:32
Sounds good to me madguzzi. Perhaps if these guys don't like getting their bikes dirty, they should buy a Harley and hang around Anza on a Saturday and talk about riding instead! Wont have ta clean the bike afterwards!

and we know you dont clean your bike - must be cause it's a Honda :laugh:

Looking forward to the next ride though!!

Meanie
24th March 2006, 17:41
Hi Fellas, I Had a ball on the ride up the gravel and down the gravel. I guess its because you guys was at the back??? Ha Ha . Whats the probs with cleaning??? Its just rained for two days?? Do your pretty little bikes melt with water applied?? HA HA HA! The Itialian stuff must go beter as a Sports bike on the Gravel? Maybe I should take an old pom bike on the next gravel ride, It may give me something to do while waiting next time!!!! What do you think Combo Boy????.
Hey id have loved the ride on a quad bike or trail bike but the meanie was made for seal :yeah:
welcome to kb madguzzi

Meanie
24th March 2006, 17:44
:tugger: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bonez
24th March 2006, 18:04
Hi Fellas, I Had a ball on the ride up the gravel and down the gravel. I guess its because you guys was at the back??? Ha Ha . Whats the probs with cleaning??? Its just rained for two days?? Do your pretty little bikes melt with water applied?? HA HA HA! The Itialian stuff must go beter as a Sports bike on the Gravel? Maybe I should take an old pom bike on the next gravel ride, It may give me something to do while waiting next time!!!! What do you think Combo Boy????.Welcome to the madhouse ol' bean.

madguzzi
24th March 2006, 18:50
Hi Guys. Combo boy has done 400 kms today. The Italian job got a wof today and it got cleaned in the rain!!. We thought we may go to castle point on the real nz roads, ( Gravel ) Whos up for a scenic trip??. That means we dont stick to the boreing tarmac roads!!

Meanie
24th March 2006, 21:46
Hi Guys. Combo boy has done 400 kms today. The Italian job got a wof today and it got cleaned in the rain!!. We thought we may go to castle point on the real nz roads, ( Gravel ) Whos up for a scenic trip??. That means we dont stick to the boreing tarmac roads!!
Did the castlepoint ride a couple of months ago, the sealed route, great ride we had a blast. where do you turn off to go there on gravel just so i know to avoid it on the meanie
Well take a bbq next time so you can cook everyone a feed while your waiting for us :niceone:
I have to admit your bike did well on the unglued stones :rockon:

combo man
25th March 2006, 07:48
Did the castlepoint ride a couple of months ago, the sealed route, great ride we had a blast. where do you turn off to go there on gravel just so i know to avoid it on the meanie
Well take a bbq next time so you can cook everyone a feed while your waiting for us :niceone:
I have to admit your bike did well on the unglued stones :rockon:

Some times it's easyer to ride faster on the gravel than it is to ride slower! Followed one guy doing about 10kph!! Christ, ya cant even ride on the tarseal at that speed! Yeah, madguzzi cooks a mean BBQ, but there's always too much smoke!!!!

Bonez
25th March 2006, 09:16
Hi Guys. Combo boy has done 400 kms today. The Italian job got a wof today and it got cleaned in the rain!!. We thought we may go to castle point on the real nz roads, ( Gravel ) Whos up for a scenic trip??. That means we dont stick to the boreing tarmac roads!!I is keen. Why not have a alternate route for those not so keen on the loose stuff though? Back roads of course though..................

cowboyz
25th March 2006, 09:16
it is just nice to finish a ride without everything on the bike rattling loose and ya fairings not all chipped and fucked. Oh yeah, you guys dont have fairings.

Bonez
25th March 2006, 09:25
it is just nice to finish a ride without everything on the bike rattling loose and ya fairings not all chipped and fucked. Oh yeah, you guys dont have fairings. Why not street fighter the GSX for those more, umm, adventerous rides.........................

Bonez
25th March 2006, 09:44
Some times it's easyer to ride faster on the gravel than it is to ride slower! Followed one guy doing about 10kph!! Christ, ya cant even ride on the tarseal at that speed! Yeah, madguzzi cooks a mean BBQ, but there's always too much smoke!!!!WHAT!! You mean to tell me the V50 doubles as barby? The bloody crafty ITIES.

cowboyz
25th March 2006, 09:48
errr. no.

Bonez
26th March 2006, 09:02
Gave the chains and sprocket a clean with diesol, brush and a rag yesterday. Had a part bottle of ATF I use in the bikes forks, so soaked the chain in it. It has good detergent properties so I figured its going to do more good than harm. No new battery yet, but will get one in the next fortnight. Will take it for a quick spin then to fling off any access then lightily grease/transmission oil it. Only needed a half a turn on the tension adjustment bolts to take up the slack.

With the tank off it was a good time to loosen the rocker cover caps. Now these usually get overtightened and can stick, do to ali to ali contact and corrosion, to the rocker cover. Didn't have a 24mm 6 sided socket handy so I used the Gertys toolkit spanner with a 8 inch length of ali tube, the extention that came in the kit is far too small and norrow for serious leverage. 12 point ones tend to round the caps off too easily if they are realy tight-20 years of '76 cb550 experience you see. Firstly I applied WD40 around the edges of the caps and a sharp tap around the edges of the caps hex first. Gently tapping the ali extension keeping the spanner resonbably level managed to loosen them ok. My intention is to check the valve clearances in the near future as I have no idea when it was last done.

Got the change of ownership for the dohc CB750F project yesterday as well.
Also discovered the GSX750EX shocks dampers where sticking a bit. Visited Doug on it and we both watch it rise around 2 inches while nattering. Gave us
both a hell of a fright. :eek: Turns out around a a third of a teaspoon of crap had gathered around the LH shock seal, with about half that from around the RH shock. Guess it got over the time it was off the road, around 10 years or so I believe. This explains the park bench, bit like the MkIII I test road back in 1993, feel it had when riding it. Quite harse over road corragations it was too. Also the tendency to weave a bit at low speed. Still crank up to 200ks + in a straight line ok though, not bad for a 25 yea old cickle.

One shock was obviously working better than the other. Loosened the crud off with application of a little ATF oil. The ATF should soften up the seals a bit as well. After a few days you can now compress the rear shocks and they rebound almost instantly. No need to replace them now. :)