PDA

View Full Version : My Momentary Lapse of Reason

Japhy Rider
20th March 2006, 11:22
Just wanted to express my gratitude to the person who helped me yesterday in the Toy Run.

In between parking up at 9:30AM and riding away at 11:00AM, unbeknownst to me, someone had knocked my kill switch to the OFF position. When attempting start up I was flabbergasted by my motorcycles non-compliance, as all Honda riders know (especially GB riders), it's unusual for our wonderful cycles to not start (choke assisted in my case) first pop.

As I disheartedly lead my bike from the rumbling pack, help arrived. With a simple flick of his finger he restored my cheerful mood.

Thank you so much for that, whoever you were. I really appreciated it.

I enjoyed the ride immensely, though it felt too short, and barring the odd idiot (unfortunately they're in any large gathering of people) I also enjoyed riding with my fellow motorcyclists, whatever form and name their two-wheeld joy took. Thanks to the organisers and long may runs of this nature continue.

Stay golden.

Sniper
20th March 2006, 15:08
Lol, common mistake man, glad it came out OK

far queue
20th March 2006, 19:25
Can be frustrating can't it ... and welcome to KB

Buster
20th March 2006, 19:37
The old kill switch trick eh. Its an oldie but a goodie.
Welcome to KB :first:

Lias
21st March 2006, 11:39
Been there , done that.. Welcome to the madhouse!

DemonWolf
21st March 2006, 11:43
Welcome to KB.. it happens to most of us.. Though luckily for you.. it didn't take nearly an entire 15-20 mins.. as it did for me quite a few years ago on a Honda CBR250R... it eventually dawned on me to check it. battery couldn't handle it.. and I had to crash start it. Luckily for me.. no one saw my shame.. boy was the helmet hot after I flicked the kill switch to on... oh the shame

Japhy Rider
22nd March 2006, 11:08
Thanks for the support everyone, and the welcome. I'm just getting back into motorcycling after a 12 year respite so am bound to make many more fundamental errors, hopefully they continue to be inexpensive and non life threatening ones...

While I'm here: If anyone out there is from Hamilton/Waikato area and wants to go cruising I'm keen to get alongside someone who isn't into speeding but loves to ride with fellow cyclists. And if I can pick your brains regarding MC maintenance tricks and such, bonus! :niceone:

Just message me if interested...

Macktheknife
22nd March 2006, 18:13
Welcome to the madhouse. Remember that little lesson, it may come in handy some day when you see someone else in a similar state of frustration! enjoy

.produKt
22nd March 2006, 18:23
Geez thats nothing!. I'd have to be nominated this sites 'Mindless Biker'.
I've had my ZXR for a week now, and the countless times that i've forgotten to
* Put it in neutral
* Put the fucking stand down
* AND put the engine switch into run when i try start it =\

I am brilliant in my own stupidity. :P

I've had killswitch problems a few times, but mostly it's people trying to be funny :angry:

Smorg
23rd March 2006, 11:35
I've had killswitch problems a few times, but mostly it's people trying to be funny :angry:

Yeah happens to my bike all the time on rides with mates but never without them..............strange

Japhy Rider
24th March 2006, 15:45
yeah, strangely enough I had a mate do the ol kill switch trick (as I shall now call it) to me just the other day... But I'm onto it now!:apumpin:

I was solo at the Toy run, though, so some really funny bugger may have done it and giggled their arse off into their helmet when it came time to disembark and there was me all confussed. Oh well if it made them happy...

And by the way all that kickstand and forgetting to turn petrol on and neutral stuff was me too for ages... and I still keep running out of petrol and having to go to reserve! :brick:

Swoop
24th March 2006, 17:49
Gudday, and welcome!
The fuel selector is another good one.......

Remember to take the blue pill!

Grumpy
24th March 2006, 17:56
And aint it a barstard when it's a kickstart jobby. Ya get all hot and bothered and then noticed the kill switch :brick:

Welcome to the site.

Drew
24th March 2006, 22:26
Welcome bro, your wee problem reminds me of a tourist, who, on a budget of fuck all, decided to ride round the south island gn250 style.
He got to CHCH from Picton OK, but leaving the gas station, could get it to run but not take off.?!?!?!?
After much umming and ahhhing, he decided to keep his target and get to dunedin, so he hopped a bus and had the bike frieghted to a bike shop there. Said bike arrives the next day where he was waiting for it at the shop to explain the problem to a mechanic.
He hands over the keys, the mechanic fires it up, does a couple laps of the car park, climbs off and looks at the poor guy with a grin.
Then shows him what happens if the side stand is not up and you let the clutch out while in gear.
Now that guy felt like a twat! :shake:
You got nothing to worry about.

mdb
25th March 2006, 08:10
Children's little fingers manage to find this 'handy' switch sometimes too. As I don't use it (ever) I've got half way down my hill attempting to perform a le mons start before noticing it.