PDA

View Full Version : Carl Fogarty in NZ

Paulus
20th March 2006, 15:53
Just been speaking to a friend at work and he was telling me that a group of Ulysses riders (of which he is one) went for a ride from Kaikoura to Christchurch on Saturday with none other than the legendary Carl Fogarty. Apparently he and his wife are here touring the country on Beemers and filming a show.

Marmoot
20th March 2006, 16:01
Ulysses?
He IS getting old aye? :bleh:

HenryDorsetCase
20th March 2006, 17:21
you'd have thought he would be on a Multistrada or S3 or summat...

but cool!

onearmedbandit
20th March 2006, 17:51
Weeeeell, I know a guy whose brother is driving Carl and his lovely lady around nth canterbury.

merv
20th March 2006, 18:06
Our very own LB got her photo taken with Carl last week, but I'll have to leave her to post the pics if she's willing.

WINJA
20th March 2006, 21:10
and then foggy is gonna come round and mow my lawns , and while hes doing that im gonna be feeling up his wife fogmella

Shaun
20th March 2006, 21:35
U WISH:killingme

spudchucka
20th March 2006, 21:38
Wonder if he's jacked up a reunion with his old team mate Aaron Slight.

k14
20th March 2006, 21:43
Yeah he can have a party for his superbike winning a race at the same time :rofl:

merv
20th March 2006, 21:48
Dunno, but I see he's been sheep shagging .... er I mean shearing http://www.rotoruanz.com/news/news_detail.asp?ID=252

emaN
21st March 2006, 10:30
He COULD'VE popped in to Hennesseys on Thursday night to be social...

then again, i was out fishing so...

TwoSeven
21st March 2006, 11:03
So I dont suppose anyone has bothered to ask him on the chances of him doing a racer training day then ?

Motu
21st March 2006, 11:27
I wonder if he can still do The Race Face? That was a scary look - if I was sitting on the grid next to him and he turned to look at me I'd just stall and topple over.

onearmedbandit
21st March 2006, 12:16
Oh yeah, those eyes. Very scary!

Lou Girardin
22nd March 2006, 12:05
I wonder if he can still do The Race Face? That was a scary look - if I was sitting on the grid next to him and he turned to look at me I'd just stall and topple over.

A couple of lines of coke should do it.

Motu
22nd March 2006, 12:15
I don't need no coke to fall over man! It's natural ability,I was born with it!

Ivan
22nd March 2006, 18:24

I'm Aarons 2nd or 3rd cousin

k14
22nd March 2006, 18:39
well that proves that genetics has nothing to do with motorbike racing :rofl:

diesel pig
22nd March 2006, 18:45

If this is true it must be very embarrassing for Mr Slight

Ivan
22nd March 2006, 18:56
it is true he is related to me

Kickaha
22nd March 2006, 19:53
Oh yeah, those eyes. Very scary!

Like a Weasel on speed:eek5:

onearmedbandit
22nd March 2006, 20:21
Couldn't of put it better myself!

Paul in NZ
23rd March 2006, 09:14
More like a Weasel on a Ducati. Which is kinda like speed .. except a little slower

spudchucka
23rd March 2006, 10:54
Lucky you.

I was lucky enough to meet him recently and had a short converstaion about his past Castrol Honda team mates, Fogarty & Kocinski.

I always considered Kocinski to be the biggest wanker of the two but it seems that Slight was more inclined to want to deck Fogarty than Kocinski.

Fishy
23rd March 2006, 12:19

You must know Cheryle McGregor (Cheryle Slight before she got married) she is one of Aarons first cousins (so she says) and works at the same place as me.

Ivan
23rd March 2006, 20:24
no im related through marrige dont actually no anyone else

Sketchy_Racer
23rd March 2006, 20:32
So... your married to Aaron,

Man that is shameful for him :bleh:

Maha
23rd March 2006, 20:47
no im related through marrige dont actually no anyone else
Somewhere on a distant branch of the family tree i am related to Dave and Neville Hiscock ( team Suzuki riders 70's ) fathers cousins, they dont know me and i have never met them ( neville was killed in STH AFRICA ) so will definitely never meet him, point is............ theres no point ya big skite.........:mega:

Kornholio
23rd March 2006, 20:57
Well I got the same birthday as Slighty, cept he a few years older... :P

gingle
29th March 2006, 21:01
I was lucky enough to meet him recently and had a short converstaion about his past Castrol Honda team mates, Fogarty & Kocinski.
Me too :) A short story to go with it.
A few years ago while I was a courier in the UK a m8 & I were watching the supers while the girls were out riding:msn-wink: Between races we ducked into town & bought Aaron Slight Arai's.

This year he came over for the PI round (Lives just south of Pukekohe) so we spent 6 days at the Island playing up:niceone: Now, both our helmets are up for replacement & i'd already decided a couple weeks before that it wasn't going to be worn again, but Mark came over with his, so i decided that 1 last run was in order.
Friday night in the pub at Cowes & there we were having a beer & chat with the man himself:2thumbsup & just to top it off we asked if he'd sign our helmets (We didn't have them with us) When we came back with them the look on his face when he realised they were his:thud::D
So now the helmet is retired, on display!

I always considered Kocinski to be the biggest wanker of the two but it seems that Slight was more inclined to want to deck Fogarty than Kocinski.

Yup, i've met Foggy a couple times & gotta agree with him.

Greg

moko
1st April 2006, 11:35
He was here doing a book-signing last year and a lot of bikers ignored it because the guy`s an arsehole,just about anyone remotely well-known would have got a good turn out,joke going around was that he was turning up in a car with a motorhome for his ego,great rider,wanker as a bloke.

Bob
2nd April 2006, 02:51
I've met him about three times. Once I was working - covering a bike show. My colleague was getting short quotes for the website on a digital recorder. So we spotted Fogarty and my colleague went over, asked him if he had a moment... then very patiently explained what the site was about, what he was doing and could Mr Fogarty kindly give a quote for the site.

All the way through this, Fogarty was going "Right", "OK" and so on. Then, when my friend finished explaining and put the recorder forward, Fogarty stood there blankly for a moment and then said "Sorry, what is this about?" He clearly thought it was some fan wanting to talk to him and screened out.

Fogarty is good if he knows there is media about though. Doing the photo-reporter bit at another show. And Fogarty was there for a book launch. and he knew exactly where *every* photographer was standing. To the point he got the silly media assistant girlie to move out of the way before anyone had to ask and ensured that each bank of snappers got a good shot.

Final time I met him was at the launch of his autobiography. My wife had intended to get it signed as a surprise present for me... but the queue was so long she was getting to the end of her lunch hour! So she had to call me and get me to come along and take her place with the book. Still took me about another half an hour to get to the front, handed over the book and... he didn't even look up. Just scrawled on the book handed it to Michaela (his wife) to sign it and hand it back. At least she had the decency to look up and say "Thanks".

I know the arrogance, putting every other racer down etc was a vital part of his armory as a racer (he HAD to believe he was the best and that was how he did it), but with racing career over, he could have paid a little more attention to the huge group of people that had just spent a lot of money for his (awful) book. Time for the image to be dropped, but he couldn't do it.

I know book signings must be incredibly boring, but he could have made more effort to reward people that spent a lot of their time just to see him and get his autograph.

I always compare this to going to cricket. I recall being at the last match of the season. The game ended, so all the players must have wanted to do was get a shower and go for a beer. But no, the likes of Alec Stewart, Graham Thorpe etc stood there for the best part of an hour, signing autographs for kids (or anyone else for that matter) and made the effort to talk to them and show interest.

I know whose response I preferred.