PDA

View Full Version : Front end swap - Bandit 600 or SV650S - anyone done this?

El Dopa
20th March 2006, 19:19
I've been lurking on some Bandit and SV forums, researching a possible bike upgrade, and one of the most common 'big' mods that owners of both of these types of bikes seem to carry out is a front end swap.

This involves taking the whole front end of e.g. a GSXR 1000 - forks, wheel, bars, brakes, etc, and swapping it into the SV or bandit frame complete.

Anyone on here done this?

The key to the whole deal seems to be the stem, which needs to be swapped out of the donor front end. This appears to be the most fiddly part of the whole operation.

Can anyone recommend a workshop in Auckland that has done this mod (i.e. they know what they're doing).

Also, how much would you expect to pay for a mint/ecellent condition front end off, say, a GSXR1000. Ballpark figure.

Two Smoker
20th March 2006, 20:14
Shaun Harris has done it... And is highly successful.... not only does the handling improve 10 fold, but the brakes will be beyond your wildest belief (GSX-R600 have some of the best brakes on any bike)

I got a set of forks from the USA for $900 landed... But i would set aside $2-$3000... Ray Clee should be able to do it in auckland...

Shaun
20th March 2006, 20:54
Or me of course

El Dopa
20th March 2006, 21:02
Shaun Harris has done it... And is highly successful.... not only does the handling improve 10 fold, but the brakes will be beyond your wildest belief (GSX-R600 have some of the best brakes on any bike)

I got a set of forks from the USA for $900 landed... But i would set aside $2-$3000... Ray Clee should be able to do it in auckland...

Nearly all the guys on the forums who've done it rave about the improvement in handling and braking, although there are a few minor issues with fork length and how this affects the handling, getting the stops to work correctly, etc.

US ebay normally has a few front ends for sale for around US$750, give or take. This one, for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-SUZUKI-GSXR-1000-COMPLETE-FRONT-END_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQitemZ4621773 814QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The trouble with buying on ebay is not knowing for sure what you're getting (quality), and persuading the seller to ship to NZ in a nice secure package.

Ray Clee is a good tip. Thanks.

El Dopa
20th March 2006, 21:06
Or me of course

Sorry, mate, not following you.

Do you mean you can do the swap? If so, what sort of price are we talking?

FROSTY
20th March 2006, 22:15
UM er well --I MIGHT have done a front end swap or two.
The guy to call is Norm at stormin bikes--0272425552
He supplied me the front end for my SV650.
Fitting wise the only real hassle I had was the steering stops. I made some un using 6mm bolts
One issue is going to be the speedo Gixxers don't drive the speedo off the front wheel-I don't need one so its not a hassle for me.
My advice. If you're gonna do it get the forks serviced before you fit them. It saves stripping and fitting the front end
If ya want more details give me a yell.

98tls
21st March 2006, 07:14
another option you may consider is front end off a TL1000S,it can be done without to much hassle at all,i would reccomend buying some good aftermarket springs if going that route.

chickenfunkstar
21st March 2006, 21:20
Are you familiar with www.svrider.com (http://www.svrider.com) ?
There's loads of information on anything SV related.

El Dopa
22nd March 2006, 20:22
Are you familiar with www.svrider.com (http://www.svrider.com) ?
There's loads of information on anything SV related.

Yes, but for preference I generally lurk on www.sv650.org. I was more interested in knowing of any local experiences, or any local workshops that were known to be competent to carry out this mod. Thanks though.

Seeing as this was originally applicable to Bandits as well, a couple of useful forums that have some info on the front end swap:

www.maximum-suzuki.com

www.banditalley.com