PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and tune for ZXR 250C

Potzman
21st March 2006, 13:13
I'm lookin at getting a slightly louder exhaust for my ZXR-the standard one is a bit quiet-then taking it into a shop to get it properly tuned/carbs balanced

Anybody got any ideas as to where i can get my hands on a nice can( some have said second hand cans from other larger bikes)

Also where would be a good place in aucks to take it to get tuned to match petrol and exhaust etc?

N4CR
21st March 2006, 14:03
To get your hands on a louder can, go get a large, sharp metal rod and bang it really really hard down your exhaust pipe. Search for stock zxr exhaust schematics or something I posted up a drawing of how the internals work on the stock pipe. You can see what you need to acheive to pierce the baffles. Makes it louder and seemingly gruntier.

For tuning go get your valve shims replaced by ricky rocker at mt eden (if over 20,000kms you should do it as it stops valves dropping into pistons.) he will tune it for your can at the same time, makes the bike feel much quicker.

I managed to mod a zx9r race can onto mine by drilling the mounting lobes out a few mm on the headers. Sounds good with decent backpressure.

qldzxr250a
21st March 2006, 16:06
curious about how much it cost u for shims 2 b replaced thinking of getting mine done shortly.

N4CR
21st March 2006, 16:14
600 bucks all up but that was incl new plugs/oil and the works etc getting checked and re-filled/maintained. New front fork oil I think as well. A whole lot of shiet.

Prob 350-400ish as they spend a while pulling the whole top end to bits, might wanna get cam chain checked while they have it in bits also ($80 for a new one?) and thats another 20-40,000km's worry free. So get that stuff done and as long as you keep up oil/coolant you should be rock solid reliable.

Potzman
21st March 2006, 17:47
Not really keen on smashing the insides out of the stock pipe on my bike, and seeing as it ahs just cracked 18000km i might hold off on the shims for the moment.

N4CR
21st March 2006, 19:58
Nah just even piercing them makes a difference. If you want a real loud pipe (that one I rocked up on once... :devil2: ) you can have it for a while till you sort out one. Ain't a louder 250 pipe than that :laugh:

Infact if you want to come over I have a stock one and that crap one you can try out both. You won't need to re-drill the lobes as they are 250 pipes. My 9r can would need re-drilling to fit on.

Rumble
30th March 2006, 11:23
Ive got a DIC can on my ZXR, came with it when I bought it... But its a great tune, nicer than standard and a little louder too!

If you go see Andrew at City Spares (City Motorcycles i think it is - its the spares that Mt Eden deal with anyway) he had a few 250 cans last time I asked him (almost a year ago now tho!). You might just be able to cut and weld your pipe (or get it done) fitting a can from most models.