PDA

View Full Version : Got my first bike! Now for advice on gear ! :P

zeocen
21st March 2006, 13:53
Well I've gotten my first bike, from a kiwibiker no less.. I won't mention names incase he'd like to stay private but he was a really great guy and 100% helpful, couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's a '90 saki GPX250 Ninja, has a bit of wear and tear which is given for its age but apart from that it was nothing a good polish wouldn't fix :D.

Once I get my camera back from my sister I'll take some pics of my new obsession. But for the moment I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to get some decent/cheap(not sure if those 2 go together..) gear for a leaner. Specifically helmet and gloves, as I have a padded leather jacket for now that will be fine.. then after that boots and pants.

I'd like to get the helmet first, with a tinted visor IF it won't hinder my sight when it's over my eyes. Is there any problem with getting a tinted visor or should it be all good?

Thanks in advance ! :niceone:

Postie
21st March 2006, 14:20
try the motomail outlet store in Kingsland, lots of economically priced end of line gear.

emaN
21st March 2006, 14:26
do a 'search' thru KB threads - plenty of info on there dude!

re visors, i prefer the 'removable insert' types, for when you get stuck (riding) out in the dark...

buy the best you can afford

zeocen
21st March 2006, 15:28
Yeah sorry, not too good with searching :/ I had a go at Honda Botany, quite a good selection there, I got some waterproof gloves that fit like a dream.. I'm on my way!

The Honda dude didn't even seem phased when I said my bike wasn't a honda either ;)

MSTRS
21st March 2006, 15:45
Get a clear visor, and wear sunnies if you want 'tint'. Dark & Iridium visors become a real problem if you are caught out by nightfall.

Sniper
21st March 2006, 15:54
Nah dude, if you want to be cool you have to ride in shorts and jandals. Kidding!!!

Check out motomail, they have some pretty sharp prices on some good gear

SlowHand
21st March 2006, 16:16
Nah dude, if you want to be cool you have to ride in shorts and jandals. Kidding!!!

he's right, just checked the Rules for jandal cooldom (Strat&assoc 2005). you only need to own them and enjoy wearing them regularly. :woohoo:

oh and do it once, do it properly. sucks a purple monkey dishwasher paying for sheet twice

zeocen
21st March 2006, 18:01
Alright I managed to get the camera and I took a couple of snaps :D I'm so happy with it, great lil bike !

I found a great helmet for me too, all black (paying extra for graphics = :/) and not toooo much of a dent on the ol' wallet. No tint in the visor, got sunnies for that like MSTRS said.

bladez
21st March 2006, 18:05
nice bike there happy riding and they are a very nice bike to ride very comfy:Punk:

BEAMER89
21st March 2006, 20:41
Congrates on the new purchase, looks like a tidy bike, well done matey.:ride: :Punk:

Lazy7
21st March 2006, 21:07
check out CycleTreads on barrys point road.

Lou Girardin
22nd March 2006, 08:09
Come and see me at AMPS, preferably end of the week when we've restocked. I'll sort out a deal.

zeocen
22nd March 2006, 10:58
Ohhh I might do that, I'm still in the lookout for boots/maybe another jacket (the one I have now is pretty heavy and old). Just have to see if the wallet agrees :)

Firefight
22nd March 2006, 11:48
Alright I managed to get the camera and I took a couple of snaps :D I'm so happy with it, great lil bike !

hope you enjoy the bike.:ride:

F/F

zeocen
22nd March 2006, 11:58
Thanks Dave :D

kevie
13th April 2006, 10:32
Nice bike :) ride careful and enjoy :) mate had a 400 Ninja ... absolutely loved it, I think he almost cried when he traded it on his new Bandit LOL.

And yeh .... wear good gear at all times.... jandals and bare skin may feel nice in the breeze but doesnt like tarmac at speed, The 2 times I been taken out on a bike I was glad I had all the leathers on.

Gwinch
26th April 2006, 14:21
Haven't seen you on IRC for the last while Matt. :-P

I'll rattle off what I got and where, worked out rather nicely and I can't wait to try it out when the TZR gets roadworthy. Is the first bike always the most exciting 'cause I just can't wait to get out and have a blat!

Anyway, here it is:

Red Baron:
Spool Jacket $199
Gaerne Boots $199
Teknic Gloves $89
FFM Lid $130ish (a while ago, I can't remember exactly)

Motomail:
Draggin' Jeans $238

35tickets
26th April 2006, 21:13
Hey Zeocen, good choice of bike mate well done!

Generally speaking try and by the best gear you can afford, you'll find it will last longer. I bought a pair of dririder pants and HJC jacket about 5 years ago and just finished a 2 week tour of the south island in them; its still really good gear and didn't let me down. The only thing i did with the jacket was to spray on some new water proofing stuff. Agree with Gwinchy above on the Gaerne boots, i replaced my good old John Bull combats with some gaerne's late last year and wondered why i didn't go to them sooner; a lot of boot for a really good price.

Happy riding!!

Stevo
27th April 2006, 01:00
Yeah sorry, not too good with searching :/ I had a go at Honda Botany, quite a good selection there, I got some waterproof gloves that fit like a dream.. I'm on my way!

The Honda dude didn't even seem phased when I said my bike wasn't a honda either ;)
He'll take your money................. regardless of your bike lol

UrbanMyth
27th April 2006, 01:04
congratz on your 1st bike.My first biek was similar was a ZZR250.
Have fun :D

WickedOne
27th April 2006, 08:32
Check out Motomail outlet store in Kingsland, 4 Western Springs Road. I got a really nice pair of sports boots there yesterday for $129.95!!!!! Damn good deal.

firefighter
24th October 2007, 10:53
cycletreads and motomail dude, also quasimoto, and get a tinted visor, they look cool.....lol

90s
26th October 2007, 10:06
Cycletreads are very keen on the dririder stuff as good starters, but I am on my 3rd Aspen from them already due to constant leaks.
I also have an older dririder that is the middle-level one at that seems to still be great yrs later. Its about $100 more than the Aspen (which is $170 or so).
Get the best gear you can afford - I regret trying to skimp on a new commuter jacket this time.

zeocen
29th October 2007, 23:02
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past.. would have to be one of the first threads I made!

FYI, I'm still wearing the same gear I bought back then, riding nearly every day. Only my summer gloves are starting to show wear and tear, and my dririder jacket isn't very waterproof without the winterlining.

Pretty good lifespan for every day riding in all conditions!