PDA

View Full Version : Props to the daily commuter

Insanity_rules
22nd March 2006, 08:40
I was sitting in the traffic in my cage (necessity of my trade) this morning in the hammering rain, noticing as I do the bikes going past. I hate riding in hard rain but these people were out there braving it.

Good on yer!

I always move over for my fellow bikers in the traffic as its hard enough without cages blocking the path. Every now and then I dont need my car and I ride in, great fun.

bgd
22nd March 2006, 09:13
Well I don't know how people do it, commute by car that is. I ride in any weather just to avoid that horror. Commuting by car is just slow death.

kickingzebra
22nd March 2006, 09:56
All weather is good, once you are doing it, but takes a while to get used to if you have stopped for a while. I enjoyed getting off the tools, and into the office, firstly for internet during work hours:woohoo: And secondly, no tools to carry in cage!!

RantyDave
22nd March 2006, 10:17
Yeah, it was a tad colourful this morning, but once you get used to the idea that it's like biking but without the fun bits (I ask very little of my tyres in the wet) then it's no problem.

I appear to have lucked out in buying my riding gear as well. From time to time my foot gets wet (missing bolt on foot scraper thing) but other than that I can be assured of being dry when I get to the office.

Dave

Str8 Jacket
22nd March 2006, 10:22
Arrgh I had to put on my gear still soaking from yesterdays ventures in the tropical wgtn weather... Not having any proper riding boots I use my Doc's which are not completely water proof so this morning I had to wear platic bags over my socks underneath the boots, much to my co-workes amusement... I have my gear drying on a seat in my office and am walking around in bare feet atm. The joy's of riding, eh!

Pwalo
22nd March 2006, 10:28
Yep it's been fun the last couple of days. Fortunately I've been able to dry off my gloves and neck tube on my PC, and the rest of my gear is waterproof (although my helmet lining still felt damp on the way home last night).

I commute on the bike whatever the weather because I hate being stuck in traffic. I don't mind the wind or rain as long as my socks aren't wet. Hate riding with wet socks.:no:

Insanity_rules
22nd March 2006, 10:39
yeah car commuting sux the BIG kumera! You guys who come it from Upper Vegas (Hutt) probably pass me everyday!

If you happen across a green Daewoo sedan with a personalised plate on your ride in spare a thought, trapped biker inside LOL.

FROSTY
22nd March 2006, 10:47
a cheap second pair of gloves are a bloody lifesaver in my opinion.
one pair drying as the other is getting soaked

Motu
22nd March 2006, 10:48
Stuff that - I'd never ride my bike to work! Bikes are for fun,not misery.

zeRax
22nd March 2006, 11:05
rain pisses me off, its not so much riding in the rain, its the e#tra gear i gotta put on if i dont wanna become soaking wet that pisses me off,

finally pulling finger out and advancing in licence at 3pm today and its just started raining, i really cant be fucked putting on gear, gonna be one wet mofo if it dont stop raining - le sigh

Colapop
22nd March 2006, 11:06
Arrgh I had to put on my gear still soaking from yesterdays ventures in the tropical wgtn weather... Not having any proper riding boots I use my Doc's which are not completely water proof so this morning I had to wear platic bags over my socks underneath the boots, much to my co-workes amusement... I have my gear drying on a seat in my office and am walking around in bare feet atm. The joy's of riding, eh!
I hope you remembered to wring your bike out and hang it up to dry young lady!

Str8 Jacket
22nd March 2006, 11:20
I hope you remembered to wring your bike out and hang it up to dry young lady!

lol! Im sure that the wind out there will dry it out. Or blow it over...

riffer
22nd March 2006, 11:21
Yes, it was a bit rough the last few days.

Going up Akatarawa Road was interesting last night, as my headlight blew (thank goodness only low beam).

But I'm just like most of you - wearing wet riding gear for the third day in a row now.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Str8 Jacket
22nd March 2006, 11:26
as my headlight blew (thank goodness only low beam).

Must be a Wgtn curse or something, mines the same! Though in this weather im usually tempted to only use high beam anyway...

magicfairy
22nd March 2006, 11:45
Arrgh I had to put on my gear still soaking from yesterdays ventures in the tropical wgtn weather... Not having any proper riding boots I use my Doc's which are not completely water proof
I ride in wearing Docs too, in WLG. So I keep a spare pair of sox at work so I can change them when I get here - and put the wet ones on the aircon vents to dry. Had a bit of a rear wheel lock up this morning - car in front braked suddenly. All good fun.

Sparky Bills
22nd March 2006, 12:14
Rain or shine, still beats being in a car.
Put news paper in your boots and chuck em in the hot water cupboard overnight. They usually dry enough not to be yuck. Cant do too much about the leather etc though.

Swoop
22nd March 2006, 12:27
Strange. I have noticed a marked increase in the amount of people riding into work recently. Has it been caused by the good weather (up here at least) or are more people becoming wise to the advantages we know about???
The bike parking area at my workplace is overflowing!!!

Keep up the good work!:not:

sunhuntin
22nd March 2006, 14:14
i ride no matter the weather, mainly cos its either that or walk [45 mins, maybe heaps more, one way! dont think so] got absolutly soaked yesterday on the way to work. no leather pants as i didnt think that far. but being wet is fine, my job on the forecourt means leaning on wet cars anyways, so not gonna stay dry in the winter. was just my wet feet that annoyed me, so may employ plastic bags today.

would be leary of rain riding in heavy auckland-like traffic though....i ride slow in the wet...got a feeling im gonna slide on a paintline soon, so taking it easy.