PDA

View Full Version : Rearset Mods for a Hornet

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 13:10
Im currently riding around with my toes perched on my stock Hornet pegs as my toes touchdown in the corners otherwise. I would like to try retro-fitting a rearset from a different bike.

I understand that Ill have to make a plate that will bolt onto the bike, and it will have holes to mount the other rearset, but are there any other obvious issues I may have? I am also aware of the gear-lever shaft will have to be enlongated/replaced.

I know someone has fitted CBR600F4 pegs before which may mean that some brakeline issues may be resolved, but I was thinking that it might be better to look for a GSXR rearset as they may be more plentiful, or maybe some Buell XB9/12S/R pegs as the prices should be much more affordable.

Im pretty sure that the rear brake reservoir (?) is mounted on the frame/swingarm, and theres plenty of slack in the line itself.

Thanks for advice in advance. Good advice gets green (if I can afford it).

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 13:15
Actually, I had a look see at a piccy of a Frebolt/Lightning and the gear-lever arrangement is in two parts/assemblies, not one.

Cajun
22nd March 2006, 13:20
by look of that pick you put aftermarket pegs on you lose you passager pegs.

You could just look at replacing the peg your foot sits on not the whole thing. if possible
Other than that you could get anything to fit, its just how much work involved, i would suggust look for some hornet forums and see if they say anything on them

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 13:22
Yeah, happy to loose the pill-pegs at this stage.
Have had a look at Hornet forums and they are buying Sato rear-sets. Expensive and a long way away.

...and Im cheap. :)

madboy
22nd March 2006, 13:26
...and Im cheap. :)And yet you still bought a Honda not a Suzuki?

Cajun
22nd March 2006, 13:56
okay by looks of this picture, it uses normal stardard gear selection method

So i would suggest see if you can 'borrow' or source some cbr/gsxr pegs from someone, to see if you can get them to work or simlar.

Would be good to do this in a workshop where you have access to make plates etc right on spot. if you can. bit like you said biggest thign is the brake light, brake plunger

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 13:59
Yeah, the brake side is the one Im anticipating to be difficult.
Couldnt find a bigger pic for the brake-side pegs sorry.:)
Might take a photo real soon.

I have a mechanical workshop here at work so could get them to make an adaptor plate. What from Im not sure (alloy?).

Thanks.

Cajun
22nd March 2006, 14:03
the brake plunger i don't think be to much of a problem could be the brake light, not to sure how the honda hornet as done there's

I know i did see a website a week or so ago making up adaptor plates to move pegs yes they were for gixxers, but sure could be used for other thigns, first thing i would do is get the bolt hole difference measured on the hornet and a gixxer, cbr and see which is the closes

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 14:12
The bolt holes on the Hornet are way wide....like about 150mm. Think the Gixxers are more like 80mm. Had a look at Velox's '03 CBR600RR and it had the two piece gear-system...just as well I found out before I got all the tools out.

Not to worry...want to move the pegs a little rear-ward and up. Should be plenty of room.

Cajun
22nd March 2006, 14:18
yeah plenty of room, so you could first and formost make a planet to move your current ones, the biggest problem is making the two ended bolt for get selector, but that could easy enough be made up. also so at least you could keep your stock pillon pegs, even if they are further up and backwards from now

skelstar
22nd March 2006, 14:22
True...had wondered about just moving the whole lot. Might have to take one side off...have a bit of a play with moving them around and seeing what it looks like. Theres a bit of a desire to get rid of the ugo/slabby pillion peg arms anyway.

Thanks for your advice once again.

mdb
6th April 2006, 20:15
Hmmm, you could just buy a sports bike ..??

Kendog
6th April 2006, 20:20
Hmmm, you could just buy a sports bike ..??

Now where is the fun in that.

One of the pleasures of owning a naked bike is the modability.