PDA

View Full Version : Quarter throttle

Sniper
22nd March 2006, 18:20
Hey there guys.

Im thinking about installing a quarter turnthrottle on the new bike. What are the advantages vs the disadvantages?

qldzxr250a
22nd March 2006, 19:47
you can only turn 1/4??? sorry no help i know... :bash:

Hoon
22nd March 2006, 20:35
Waste of time unless you are racing. Its purpose is to reduce the effort of twisting the throttle open 20 times a minute. Trade off is that you lose fine throttle control. On the street I imagine it would be a pain taking off from the lights smoothly and riding with a pillion.

Teflon
22nd March 2006, 20:52
A smaller front sprocket gives the same effect.

Installed a Riflemans 1/5 turn on the TL. lots of fun once you get use to it.. negatives are: it makes the TL hunt more around town and enhances the on/off throttle response.

98tls
23rd March 2006, 07:04
i have a 1/5th on my TL as well and i honestly cant think of any negatives at all although i dont ride round town and dont carry a pillion.i dont agree with the waste of time unless your racing theory as it improves throttle response which is good when road riding or racing.

Sniper
23rd March 2006, 07:44
Thanks guys, most of my riding involves town riding so maybe it might be a bad idea

Goblin
23rd March 2006, 07:57
I remember our old Katana had one of those throttles...was good for unintentional fishtailing on wet roads in Dorkland:crazy: :laugh:

MSTRS
23rd March 2006, 09:00
The 1100 has one. I like it, but did take a little getting used to. Around town it is probably not the best - tends to be very twitchy.

John
23rd March 2006, 09:19
The 1100 has one. I like it, but did take a little getting used to. Around town it is probably not the best - tends to be very twitchy.
Oh well they are fucken mint for burnouts, saves so much effort.

Cajun
23rd March 2006, 09:24
I know one of the mods that they do on the late model gixxers is put the throttle tube from an r1 or r6 on, gixxer = 1/6 r6=1/5 r1=1/4

or something alone those lines

imdying
23rd March 2006, 11:28
I've never used one, but for smooth road riding you tend to roll on and off the gas, which this would have to reduce your ability to do (slop anywhere would be magnified too). Sounds like the shit for racing, but you're road riding, so would probably make your experience worse :( Which is not cool :( Probably piss you off more than anything around town. Ask Brendan, his blade has one.

Mental Trousers
23rd March 2006, 11:37
With a 1/4 turn throttle you don't have as much fine control of the throttle so you're more likely to gas it too much at critical times, ie in the wet. Now if you've got flat slides and a close ratio gearbox as well then you've got a bitch of a bike in town. Dunno how many times I've accidentally spun up the back end in the wet and intersections. Consequently, mine rarely does anything that isn't open road riding.

awd
23rd March 2006, 11:53
I had one on the CBR6 and it was actually pretty good around town because my wrist angle changed less than a 1/2 twist throttle so it was more comfortable in the stop start of traffic. Getting used to the finer control took about 2 days so didn't pose a problem at all and as long as the revs didn't drop below about 3000 the engine wasn't hunting at all. For a sportsbike I would recommend a 1/4 twist any time.

Monsterbishi
27th March 2006, 07:48
Both my YZF750R and MC19 CBR are 1/4 turn, never had a problem with 'em.

Most folks who do have issues don't realise it's because their brake lever is misadjusted, causing them to roll on/off the throttle when they use it.