PDA

View Full Version : 150km round trip - my first review

Acid
23rd March 2006, 15:57
started from takinini went throught ardmore to clevedon to kawakawa bay to orere point to kaiaua to mangatwhiri to mercer to tuakau to pukekohe to karaka to takinini.
anyways was an extremely fun trip finished work today at 12 and it was sunny as :) so decided i would go for a ride and didnt really know where i was gonna go so i just rode, all was uneventful till i got to clevedon as i mormally ride these ways when i want so know roads but after taking turn off for kawakawa bay i started having alot more fun because i never been these ways before, (off topic, for some reason, i dont take right handers as good as left handers, any ideas any1 as 2 why? any1 else do this?) so all was going good doing 100+ kms got to kawakawa bay and it was looking pretty darn nice with high tide and sun out, now i am going through the gorge and to be honest it has some pretty fucken tight corners which came out of nowhere and on one in particular almost crossed white lines into path of campervan , was left hander. Soo shit my pants, now im at kaiaua it i stop to have a break and sip of water too reflect, so after that i got back into groove of things and the scare must have done something cause i was riding a hell of alot better after than i was before, so from kaiaua i went on to mangatawhiri which i then took mercer turn off nice fast pace on that road as i been on it before, once at mercer i go towards pukekawa and then turn towards tuakau then on to pukekohe then karaka then motorway to takinini.
Now i gotta say i was pretty lucky with the weather as the whole time i could see dark clouds but was sorta riding around them so only got dripped on few times.

this was the first long ride for me and was great fun and would entirely recommend route i took and would even be keen to show some others it if need be.

so to end this HAHA you were probably at work while this all happened :killingme

Fishy
23rd March 2006, 16:00
Good on ya mate, thats a pretty good ride out there eh!. I ride out those ways every now and then.

Harry33
23rd March 2006, 16:01
so to end this HAHA you were probably at work while this all happened :killingme

Bastard! sounds like you had fun:Punk:

Harry33
23rd March 2006, 16:03
Hey just wondering how long it took?

Acid
23rd March 2006, 16:15
umm would say 1 1/2 to 2 hours, cant really say as i wasnt timing it but i was home before 3 by a long shot and didnt leave till at least past 12.30.
and i never really dropped below 80k except on real tight corners.

kiwifruit
23rd March 2006, 16:19
those long rides get longer and longer, and more and more enjoyable.
Keep it up :)

Ixion
23rd March 2006, 16:26
Uh , i trust you dropped below 80kph in the 50kph areas ?

Smokin
23rd March 2006, 16:31
Sounds like a good ride.

beyond
23rd March 2006, 19:54
My favourite roads are out Kawakawa Bay/Orere Point. :blip:
I know the corner you are talking about too. A real trap for the unwary. Heading South it's the sharpest left hairpin that is real tight near the top after leaving Kawakawa Bay.

You find left turns easier than right.
The most obvious reason for this is the false sense of security a left hander gives you. Screw up on a left hander and you have a heap of road to run out on. False sense of security is because a screw up on a left hander puts you into on coming traffic but because there is a lot of 'spare' road' you feel safer.

On the other hand, if you screw up a right hander, you are going off road real quick, which entails dodging, power poles, trees, fences, cattle, houses etc etc. The lack of runout on a right hander is why you take them slower.