PDA

View Full Version : ACC comes through! Don't give them grief!

StoneChucker
23rd March 2006, 22:32
I won't go into specific detail regarding my crash (there is plenty of it on KB if you want to search for info), but the short version is (and there is a point to bringing this up again):

I crashed about 9 months ago, breaking most of the stuff on the outside and inside, of the right side of my body. I was left with a few serious life long injuries, a couple internal and a couple external. The main ones are the complete paralysis of my right arm (shoulder down, and yes, I WAS right handed<_< ), and a tear on my thoracic aorta (main artery from the heart, which was grafted).

Since then, my life has been on hold, completely. I go to work, doctors appointments, physio and ACC case manager appointments only, and that's it. I am not allowed to drive (until ACC ok given), and I'm so unfit/weak that walking to the bus stop used to be out the question. I've been to 2 or 3 kb events, and the movies 3 times in the last 9 months, thats it.

The reason is, apart from the actual recovery (been 9 months, looks like it will be another 24 - 36), now that I'm on ACC, there are ALOT of procedures, policies, processes and rehab committments that I need to go through / fulfil. I get driven to all aforementioned destinations, by ACC funded taxi (which has been adding up BIG time, I live a long way from work), and hence one of the big reasons for the main part of the ACC adventure to be hurried along.

At first there were countless medical appointments, scans, tests, etc to monitor my health. There were countless ACC appointments at the same time to establish "rehabilitation programs", "in-home care requirements", transportation needs, weekly compensation for my loss of earnings, etc... I also have an occupational assessor who meets me regularly at work, to assess what I need at work to facilitate my return to work (which I did 6 months ago, but I'm still only working small part-time hours). I need to visit my doctor every few weeks to renew medication scripts, get a checkup, at times get more tests, renew the medical certificate (ACC requires a continually current one), etc...

I had to have my driving assessed at an occupational driving assessment agency in 3 phases (computer based, home assessment and on road practical), which I passed with flying colors (tested to the same level as normal drivers, err, 2 handed ones.). I had to be assessed by an ACC approved medical assessor, to assess (see how repetitive it gets! har har...) the level of "disability" I have, taking into account my main injuries, as well as the dozen or so other ones, to reach a financial figure which I get for the level of disabilty that I'm left with.

AND NOW MY POINT

And you know what I think of all that? I LOVE IT! I would reccommend that you think before complaining about ACC, or before you perpetuate the usual slagging them off routine. Yes they add heaps onto your vehicle registration, and yes they take a long time to get something done (as I know full well), but you guys don't know how lucky you are to live somewhere where this is available, or mandatory.
Coming from a country where I would have gotten nothing, no free surgery/medical care, no free hospital stay, no home assistance, no loss of earnings assistance, no job when I'm ready to work, no help at future employment, if there was any, no free medication / cost assistance, no loss of limb entitlement, no vehicle financial assistance, no physio/rehab, no psychologist, I can go on, and on....

I'm by no means rich after this, or fit & healthy, but I can now finally go out and get a car (which they modify for me, by adding a spinner on the wheel) and regain my, what's that word I'm looking for..um..oh yes, independence, and get my life back on track. Granted, it will be a very slow process, and I'll never get back to where I was, but I'll get somewhere different, which is better than nothing at all. And you're not powerless when dealing with ACC, my first case manager, who had just started the job, was by leaps and bounds unable to satisfactorily deal with my case. After repeated "errors", we took the matter one level higher, and got him/her "removed" from my case, and a new case manager appointed. He/she has since that day, been instrumental in the smooth running of my case, and I feel that I would never have gotten to where I am now without him/her. Dealing with a good case manager (or even friend/ally), is sometimes the key to reaching a satisfactory goal, especially when you know nothing about ACC, or it's procedures and benefits.

That's all I have to say on that matter, since I now plan to move forward :) I'll still deal with ACC (and will do for about another 3 years), but it will be in more of a sideline assistance capacity, as apposed to a controlling your life one.

Dave.

Limb
23rd March 2006, 22:44
Wow what a good attitude you have!! Your an inspiration.:niceone:

Dadpole
23rd March 2006, 22:47
Good on you for being positive about the whole experience. Also glad to know that ACC are working the way they were always meant to.

Gixxer 4 ever
23rd March 2006, 22:49
Good on you Dave. It is as you said. You are a great example to all of us. Keep going foward. :yes:

Velox
23rd March 2006, 23:23
Yay Dave!!! Congrats on the licence!:niceone: So when's the car coming?

Crazy Steve
23rd March 2006, 23:46
To hear about your accident stonechucker.....

I hope you come ri_ht bud....

Crazy Steve..

justsomeguy
24th March 2006, 00:05
Good points SC. It's nice to know you're getting better physically and you still have your sense of humour and resolve.

:first:

Zapf
24th March 2006, 00:18
Mate SC... I don't know you that well.. but long enought on KB to want to help. Am in the computer trade... if you need anything that side of the fence just PM me and its at cost to you mate.

Zapf

onearmedbandit
24th March 2006, 01:14
Well done dave, I understand all too well what you're saying. Good onya mate.

Mrs Busa Pete
24th March 2006, 04:26
Good on you for having such a postive attude that is one of the best healing processes one can have.How are you getting on with your house buying.Keep Safe

jimbo600
24th March 2006, 05:45
Fuckin ACC Cunts! nah not really. Good on ya SC. Good to see the long road to rehab' is moving along. I have a mate in AK who got himself paralised through a home accident and ACC were fantastic in helping him out. Also a few years ago I had an accident whereby my head acually became detached from my body. After it ws grafted back on, ACC were very helpful in rehab as initially it was difficult to hunch over my bike and they came up with funds for a bike that wheelies easy so that I can hold a more upright position.

stanko
24th March 2006, 06:29
All that for $200 per year. Not bad really . Sounds like you are moving ahead in leaps and bounds (albiet small ones) Keep on top.

Riff Raff
24th March 2006, 07:05
Good to hear Dave, and it's really great that your recovery is now at the stage where you can have some independence. Best wishes for your ongoing recovery. Really must try to catch up with you next time we come to Welly. Take care mate xx

Joni
24th March 2006, 07:21
for you Dave ==> :hug:
Im happy that good things are happening... you deserve it!
Take care my dear friend!

sels1
24th March 2006, 07:31
I'm in awe that you typed all that with your left hand mate!
Good to see you making progress Dave, gosh has it been 9 months already?
Hope you enjoy getting out on the road again - what sort of vehicle are you thinking of getting? (a van or ute to carry the KB BBQ and pick up broken bikes?????? :D )

Sniper
24th March 2006, 07:38
Good on ya Dave

Edbear
24th March 2006, 07:45
Good onyer mate! A positive attitude and a fair mind when dealing with these Govt. departments goes a long way with them and they'll do everything they can to help someone genuine. They see a lot of idiots who try to rip them off, and in my experience they find it rather refreshing to deal wth an honest person who's trying to help themselves! And as Jimbo demonstrates with his comment, a good sense of humour goes a long way, too. Hope they reattached the bonce the right way round, Jimbo!:killingme

jazbug5
24th March 2006, 07:55
Dave, it is such wonderful news that things are finally moving along for you. More than anything, I am in absolute awe of your fantastic attitude towards everything... I can't wait to see what you're getting up to by the time I make it back to Welly..!

By the way, have you ever though about writing about your experiences?
You're a funny b*stard, and you actually have something to say.

Colapop
24th March 2006, 08:14
Wahoo!! Party time!! Dave is on the prowl all over again....:woohoo:

How's your 'My little Pony' riding lessons coming?

Al
24th March 2006, 08:14
Fantastic write up Dave!
All the best with your new adventures, you have the right attitude and you will always be the winner in whatever you do.

Too true about accident care and compensation in "the place we came from", thankfully we are in a civilised country now.

You take care
Al:2thumbsup

Two Smoker
24th March 2006, 08:24
Wicked stuff dave!!! Also glad to see you doing some regular posting... What car have you decided on??? Will be good to catch up :niceone:

Oakie
24th March 2006, 08:55
Good on you for giving credit to ACC. I've been dealing with them for 11 years as part of my job (Payroll) and I reckon they're great. They seem to have a genuine desire to help and are always hassling me for figures so they can pay compensation quickly.
Reading what they've done for you I certainly won't be grizzling about paying the ACC Levy portion of my rego anytime soon.

sAsLEX
24th March 2006, 08:59
All that for $200 per year. Not bad really . Sounds like you are moving ahead in leaps and bounds (albiet small ones) Keep on top.

But what about people on push bikes and horses and all those other activities that have accidents more often than us paying people!? This I dont understand.

crashe
24th March 2006, 09:02
Hey Dave, well done and good luck in finding the right car for you.

That's an awesome write up.... and typing all that with your left hand as well. :2thumbsup

ACC do come to party, when pushed.
Im glad that they have been there for you all this time and will continue to be there for you for as long as you need them.

Great to seeing you posting on here a lot more often as well.

Paul in NZ
24th March 2006, 09:12
Good post Dave and I'm glad to hear you being so positive!

Let me know next time you are in town and we could grab a coffee or summat eh?

Paul N

Postie
24th March 2006, 10:29
i totally agree SC, i was well looked after when i decided to destroy Buggys bike rather then sell it. Home nurse visits every day, a couple of ops and plenty of kick ass titanium (i wanted a leg like robo-cop but alas, they said nay) but still i'm back in one piece and after about 11 months i was signed off. Its a long process when you break bits that were designed to stay together, but the surgeons, drs and nurses do a great job. I would happily tripple my ACC payments, people like me will never pay back what i have cost the system even if i ride till i'm 90.

Hitcher
24th March 2006, 14:09
Nice write-up Dave.

Yes, there are problems with a "no fault" accident compensation system. Particularly around issues of "entitlement" from "professional victims". But on the whole, the good outweighs the bad by a considerable margin.

Another issue is ACC's monopoly. But I have other priorities at the moment, other than taking that particular hobby horse out for a canter...

Wellyman
24th March 2006, 14:20
Good on ya dave! good to see you are in good spirts and doing well.
Wishing you all the best for the future,
Dan
(WM)

Grahameeboy
24th March 2006, 14:21
As Hitcher says there are some issues with 'Non Fault' compensation, however, good on ya and good that ACC has helped you form this positive attitude ontop of your obviously natural positive attitude so a bonus eh.

sunhuntin
24th March 2006, 14:41
very well written...didnt pick up a single typo....submit it to kiwirider perhaps? could be a hobby for when you have spare time....write up your recovery.

best of luck with the continuation of your healing....do you think oneday youll get back into bikes?

keep on keepin on.

riffer
24th March 2006, 16:54
You're an inspiration Dave.

Keep up the hard work. :2thumbsup

Krusti
24th March 2006, 17:53
Yeah,good to hear you're being listened to. They are not too bad, paid for a CT scan and an MRI for me today. Was waiting for them to dial in the co ordinates like Stargate during the CT scan, never happened tho. Looked like the same stargate!

kickingzebra
24th March 2006, 18:03
I'm glad in the case of an ascertainable accident, they pulled you through! Thinking GSXR 1300 powered automatic trike??!? We can allow trike dispensations? surely? Good on you dude!

StoneChucker
24th March 2006, 21:00
I really appreciate all the nice words, it gives me a little of that warm happy feeling that I've been without for quite some time. I guess that overall I am positive, but I'm by no means at peace, so to speak. It's still a long journey ahead in terms of ACC contact, physical/psychological healing and getting back into social & personal activities. I also know what some of you mentioned about ACC not being perfect in certain situations, in fact there was a news story not so long ago about some guy getting no help, because his issues were only psychological in nature. Actually, that's extra weird, since they are giving me psychological assistance, all be it from a physical issue.

Now, to all your questions...

Limb, Dadpole, Gixxer4ever, CrazySteve, JustsomeGuy, Stanko, EdBear, Sniper, ColaPop, Al, Oakie, Crash, Hitcher, Wellyman, Grahameeboy & Riffer: Thank you all for your well wishes, they are much appreciated.

Zapf: Thanks mate, infact I might just take you up on that at some time in the future :)

RiffRaff, Jazbug, sunhuntin, PaulNZ & Joni: Thanks, and I'll definitely try catch up with you next time we pass by. And Jaz, I'm not sure about the writing, I don't think I have enough writing knowledge/skills to compile it properly, and most importantly, in the grand scheme of things there are many people way worse off than I am.

OneArmBandit: Cheers, and I know you do. Infact, I look at you in awe for getting back on the bike. I got a chance to sit on the rebuilt bike that I crashed, and I was amazed that I once rode such a bike so enthusiastically. The thought kind of scares me now!

Postie: Cheers, and I know what you mean, I would love to replace my dead weight arm with a clip on (no shitty straps) titanium robocop arm. If I ever take that BIG step, I'll have to get a pirate hook attachment as a joke for parties!

Velox, Sels1 & TwoSmoker: Thanks, and I'm looking for a car from this Monday, I hope to have it in about 3 weeks. I was thinking Ford Falcon XR6 range, or Mazda6, possibly even Subaru Legacy Ltd or Commodore SV or SS range. But, I'm an impulse buyer, I bought my MX5 at the first car yard I went to! I'll try to have more resolve this time though (although, the mx5 was a great lil car.)

Krusti: Thank you. Oh, I'm with you on the CT scan and MRI thing. I had one MRI, and hopefully never again. I'm not claustrophobic, but having a metal grid fastened onto my head, and being pushed into a tunnel only a few inches from my eyes, is not what I call fun, especially since you are completely trapped until they let you out, and the music system on the machine I was in was offline.. The CT scan is fine, I get to have one once a year for the rest of my life.

BusaPete: Thanks. I'm holding off on the house for the moment. I'm still not medically ready to move away from the assistance I get at home. But when I do, it will be into my own house, on my own, with no pesky flat mates, I had heaps of trouble hiding the bodies of my la..., um, never mind.

Jimbo you smartarse :yes: If your head was separated from your neck, they would have taken the oppertunity to replace it with your arse. Seriously though, you're right, and also, it seems to be a common injury. From all the taxi drivers I meet, I hear a few stories of crashed bikers being left with one arm paralised. Infact, there is a biker living in the same road as me, with a similar injury (crushed brachial plexus, the nerve area of each arm, his is only pinching the nerves luckily, he'll get use back in a few weeks/months.)

KickingZebra: Cheers, and I've definitely thought about a trike. But then I think about an Ariel Atom, and I forget all about it :apumpin: One day I will have one (or another similar mini/kitset type supercar)

jimbo600
24th March 2006, 21:05
SC, you're a walking talking inspiration mate. If I could I would shit stem cells and they could work magic and get you fixed up.

Gixxer 4 ever
24th March 2006, 21:45
And Jaz, I'm not sure about the writing, I don't think I have enough writing knowledge/skills to compile it properly, and most importantly, in the grand scheme of things there are many people way worse off than I am.

Dave, Don't underestimate your ability mate. You have made a big difference to all of us. Your story would make a lot of difference to many. For example you would inspire others who are feeling down. Make others feel they should get off the couch and get on with it cos they are not too bad off. You will make others realise with a good attitude you can heal the mind and most of the body, or at least enough to enjoy the sunny days and the warm breeze. You will open the eyes of the young that want to go fast and think they will never crash. And some older ones.
If you think you can do it mate "DO IT". Get in print. Think about it. Why do so many people reply every time you post here????? But put your healing first. Enough from me. Take care. No need to reply just think about it.:niceone:

kickingzebra
24th March 2006, 22:30
I had an indifferent experience with ACC for the better part of a year, so I am just Over the Moon that you have got someone in ACC who is working with you and for you, not trying to shuffle you on.
Was the biggest time of learning I ever had (still got time to have many more though) I hope it continues that way for you...
Imagine, an ACC funded trike with 250 horse or more.... Muahahaha

Zapf
24th March 2006, 22:52
no worries SC. anytime and anything... we can only try.

Re the Car... am a bit of a car nut. Have you thought of a honda Jazz Sports or Honda Civic? The new civics are really nice and unfloppable with VSS and MANY air bags.

MD
24th March 2006, 22:55
Well done Dave. I can only try and imagine what a tough time you have had to overcome. You are an inspiration and I'm damn glad our ACC levies have helped out. A safety net with some faults is far better than none at all.
keep on truckin

Motoracer
25th March 2006, 13:11
Hey Dave, that's awesome news!!

It's great to have you back on the site.:2thumbsup

Please excuse me for not replying to your PMs. I just haven't been able to reply to any of them as I am so damn busy these days.

It's awesome to hear that you are getting all this help from ACC and getting your life back!

You certainly won't hear me complain about their Levys any more. Infact, every time I have to pay my rego fee's I might even feel good, knowing that it can be for a good cause for thoes who need it.

I'll reply to your PM asap but I just have to shoot out again and then I probably wont be back home till tomorrow.

Later man! :)

sunhuntin
25th March 2006, 16:23
id love to see your first post in the next kiwirider.....could be a regular column. even if you just wrote the gist of what you wanted to say and got someone else to pull it together, ok-ing it with you before going to print, that could work. but i honestly think the way you wrote #1 was fine....better than most ive seen, and that includes me. would be a constant reminder to always keep your eyes peeled, written from experience!

:rockon: