PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Haka has been overdone?

Wenier
24th March 2006, 15:28
Just what everyone thinks about the Haka and the amount of use it has had in the Commonwealth Games?

Personally I think it has been, fine use it when we get a Gold but not for every medal. And I thought it was rude and ignorant when they did it over the Bag pipes for the Scottish guy when the Scot had got the Gold.

SimJen
24th March 2006, 15:39
I was at a graduation the other day....boring hohum.
Peoples family members kept doing them as they got on stage, causing big delays for the following students. A real pain in the ass.
Only problem is, you'll be classed as a racist if you disagree with its use.....such is the current state of our society.
Im sure it wouldn't meet with much approval if the english born students families got up and did the whole Morris dancing thing, or the Scots did a long Bagpipe solo that everyone had to sit thru time and again.

Streetwise
24th March 2006, 15:39
Yup, Its a weird thing im not moari but still i have pride when it i being done, Its a shame when the haka is overdone.

Fishy
24th March 2006, 15:53
Yep definitely over done!.

Mental Trousers
24th March 2006, 15:55
Bah. Definitely better than hearing Waltzing Mathilda every 5 minutes. Besides, what would you have them do instead, sing the national anthem all the time??

Smorg
24th March 2006, 16:00
The haka is insperational when done in tastefull amounts and at the right times..................but at a fucken graduation?? Thats retarded:whocares:

The_Dover
24th March 2006, 16:08
I do the Haka everytime I have a shit, or a wank.

Matt Bleck
24th March 2006, 16:26
If it piss's off the convict's then all good I say.

Coyote
24th March 2006, 16:53
It's ridiculous how we have to endure some of this cultural stuff, especially at school. Take your USA hoodies off, get rid of your ghetto attitude and start wearing your grass skirts 24/7 then I might start taking your culture seriously

And if any disagrees with me, you're racist!

Madness
24th March 2006, 17:05
Last year I sadly had to attend a friends funeral & soon afterwards his tangi.
Attenting the Marae in Northland was an experience I'll never forget. I had known my friend for about 18 years before he was killed. A manslaughter conviction has been handed down to his killer. It blew me away to see my friends birthplace and his roots etc. Watching those skinny white-arsed swimmers at the games does seem to reduce the "magic" of the Haka, for me anyways. There should be a licencing requirement for pakeha to do it, hell there is for everything else!!!! Norm Hewitt can be appointed Haka Licencing Commisioner or something???

Free Rider
24th March 2006, 17:10
i think it has been..

DirtMad
24th March 2006, 17:15
Doesnt worry me at the games at the moment. They could do it everytime we came 4th place for all I care. Plenty of other channels... :corn:

Colapop
24th March 2006, 17:20
Any Haka if done properly and in context is in good taste. With the multiculturalising of our country more and more non-maori are finding an affinity with the "Ka Mate" haka as a common link to their home. Especially when away from home. The question becomes are you proud to be a NZer? They certainly are.

But to use a haka, which is a challenge, to celebrate every imagined victory (such as 3rd) is to diminsh it's mana as a cultural icon. There'd be few NZers who'd argue that the All Blacks (regardless of sporting support) don't value the haka and aquit themselves as best they're able when performing it.

I'm not Maori nor do I have any Maori 'blood' in me (No mountain, river, or Iwi either) But I am a proud Kiwi. And I value the cultural heritage that we are building as a relatively young country. The haka is part of that cultural heritage and needs to be preserved as iconic and not sold off every street corner like so many plastic tiki before.

MidnightMike
24th March 2006, 17:23
Blackbird, inlinefour, Mental-Trousers, r4q2, Sue VFR, TL Rider

:wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: < The haka.

WTF.

ARE YOU CRAZY :wacko:

OF COURSE ITS OVERUSED. :hitcher:

ITS CRAZY.:wacko:

I went to a school that, whenever some maori person got an award, the bloody kapa haka got up and had a spaz.

WTF? Sit down. And Clap. :clap:

Coyote
24th March 2006, 17:23
There should be a licencing requirement for pakeha to do it, hell there is for everything else!!!! Norm Hewitt can be appointed Haka Licencing Commisioner or something???
And why do maori get to call us 'Pakeha'? I don't like it. Black americans didn't like being called 'niggers' either

SPORK
24th March 2006, 17:28
And why do maori get to call us 'Pakeha'? I don't like it. Black americans didn't like being called 'niggers' either

That's why I call white people Niggers and black people niggers. Race equality, ya'see.

Colapop
24th March 2006, 17:30
Yeah but the point is not about racism here.... The people overusing the haka in this case are not Maori. Are they wannabe Maori? Don't think so

Maha
24th March 2006, 17:34
Cant get enough it really, even when the white boys do it its great. Its the greatest buzz when the All Blacks do it, i dont understand why the Tall Blacks do it but at the games its way cool to see it for evey medal, its a pride thing, its a New Zealand thing, nothing wrong with being unique, one thing i have noticed is that the Gold medal winners (of N Z that is ) dont sing the national anthem, their lips kinda move but i think thats cos they are a wee bit parched. After the Games you wont see it till the AB's take the field later in the year.

Coyote
24th March 2006, 17:34
Yeah but the point is not about racism here.... The people overusing the haka in this case are not Maori. Are they wannabe Maori? Don't think so
Fairy nuff. It is overused

Marmoot
24th March 2006, 17:38

Yea mate, we don't like being called Asians either..........

:wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari: :wari:

Big Dave
24th March 2006, 17:40
I was at a graduation the other day....boring hohum.
Peoples family members kept doing them as they got on stage, causing big delays for the following students. A real pain in the ass.
Only problem is, you'll be classed as a racist if you disagree with its use.....such is the current state of our society.
Im sure it wouldn't meet with much approval if the english born students families got up and did the whole Morris dancing thing, or the Scots did a long Bagpipe solo that everyone had to sit thru time and again.

I fully understand - when my mrs got her last degree - I was amazed at all these people shouting at each other!

I did consider standing up and giving her the aussie cultural endorsement - YOU FUCKIN' BEWDY! at full tilt - but time and place and all that.

I like a haka at the footy - doesn't sacre us any more - but good theatre.

Maha
24th March 2006, 17:46
KB polls are being overused, there are more polls on here than Colmar/Brunten could ever match, there should be a poll about overused polls.......:shutup: and i also think our leaders at the Beehive should do the Haka before each sitting, would love to see Rodney Hide/ Don Brash and co' trying to look fierce....:cool:
ps: i always take part in polls......:slap:

Swoop
24th March 2006, 18:09
...one thing i have noticed is that the Gold medal winners (of N Z that is ) dont sing the national anthem, their lips kinda move but i think thats cos they are a wee bit parched.

The national anthem sucks BIG TIME.
About as inspirational as a frontal lobotomy.:bash:

tom kitto
24th March 2006, 18:29
according to the maori dictionary pakeha means 'white turnip' . last time i looked , i didnt look alot like a turnip!. i dont think it would go down too well if they were named after a vegetable!
as for the all blacks, use the haka too much and it will lose its uniqueness. I like the idea that it should only be used for the finals.

NordieBoy
24th March 2006, 18:38
The haka (any haka) is a celebration, a challenge, an outpouring of emotion.

If done properly (eg any fronted by Tana) they are awesome to behold, if done poorly the only devaluing is on the performers.

I think it should replace the National Anthem :D

"And now for the National Anthem of New Zealand"......"KA MATE! KA MATE!".

Catchier, faster and more people know it than the current Anthem.

grego
24th March 2006, 18:50
I think the Haka was allright when battles were fought with sticks and axes etc etc.
But now, when an old fragile git like me could erradicate such "threatening menace" like a group that performs a challenge simply by hacking into them with a machine gun and creating a bloddy mess in seconds, it probably is "OUTDATED"
Personally I think its a big booooore........

Flatcap
24th March 2006, 18:55

If done properly (eg any fronted by Tana) they are awesome to behold, if done poorly the only devaluing is on the performers.

Have you not heard the English translation of the Haka? Utter nonsense! Why the hell would you want that as an anthem?

Should replace it with the Crusaders theme - then it wouldn't matter if you didn't know the words

NordieBoy
24th March 2006, 18:59
Have you not heard the English translation of the Haka?
Learned the story behind it back in 1980.
Hasn't changed it for me at all.

APPLE
24th March 2006, 19:49
if it pisses off aussies?im all for it......

NotaGoth
24th March 2006, 21:14

^ I so have to agree here.

Personally I think that the haka has been way over done.

MidnightMike
24th March 2006, 21:28
Have you not heard the English translation of the Haka? Utter nonsense! Why the hell would you want that as an anthem?

Even in Maori its utter nonsence :angry2:

Got a link to that translated one?

MD
24th March 2006, 21:43
Bored shitless every time I have to endure the haka. It's total arrogance by the hakaérs to assume that every other person and nation on this planet wants to sit through their local dance/insult each time their team plays NZ in rugby or whatever.

Flatcap
24th March 2006, 21:47
Even in Maori its utter nonsence :angry2:

Got a link to that translated one?

http://www.nzallblacks.net/haka.asp

Again I say Utter Nonsense

jimbo600
24th March 2006, 22:50
It's been done to death. Shit it's all when and good doing that shit if you're on your game and can dominate, but to do yet another haka and do crap, well it just makes a mockery of it all. Had enough of powhiries every time a public servant takes a shit too. The Maori culture is a great part of NZ but it's become diluted through over exposure. Save the haka for AB tests only. Skinny white swimmers in speedos just makes the haka look like synchronised spasms.

Winston001
24th March 2006, 23:24

I agree. NZ is a little unusual in that we don't have a national song. Most countries do. Battle Hymn of the Republic, Waltzing Matilda, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, Walk Alone etc etc.

But what we do have is quite unusual - the haka. Other countries have native dance traditions and small Pacific Island nations have their own hakas, but we are the only Western country of significance which has this stirring challenge as a national icon. Everyone (under the age of 40) can at least attempt Kamate.

If we don't have a song, we do have the haka. It is virtually unique. Can you think of any other nation which displays in the crowd and on the field such a strong chant? So strong that the English and Aussies spend time objecting to it.

I can remember performing Kamate 20 years ago at parties in Denver and London with other Kiwis. The locals were enthralled. We were just pi**ed.

Sutage
24th March 2006, 23:49
why didnt the english just shoot them when they did the haka?

Crazy Steve
25th March 2006, 00:03
Now and then yes......

But limited it for special times...

Crazy Steve

grego
25th March 2006, 00:31
I don't want to be rough on you guys but anybody who truly thinks that NZ is (Quote) A Western Country of Significance, must be blinded by illusions of grandeur.

New Zealand to me," a bloody Foreigner", is a beautyfull country at the the bottom of the planet, a great place to live BUT of absolutely no significance whatsoever and probably it is not even a "Western country" whatever that supposed to mean.................................

duckaddict
25th March 2006, 04:10
Go the kiwis - not the haka :doobey:

whatever...

sAsLEX
25th March 2006, 12:36
I think the Haka was allright when battles were fought with sticks and axes etc etc.
But now, when an old fragile git like me could erradicate such "threatening menace" like a group that performs a challenge simply by hacking into them with a machine gun and creating a bloddy mess in seconds, it probably is "OUTDATED"
Personally I think its a big booooore........

well they fucked over the brittish in the land wars with some unique and innovative trench warfare and battle pa's and the english muskets and artillery were pretty useless

Mental Trousers
25th March 2006, 13:33
That's why I call white people Niggers and black people niggers. Race equality, ya'see.

omg, different capitalisation for each racial group. You racist fuck !!!! :Pokey:

Winston001
25th March 2006, 15:09
My favourit non-haka discourtesy of our Australian cousins. Enjoy. :D http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=12874

willy_01
25th March 2006, 15:25
isnt the haka a war song? ie we are going to spear you after we finish this song. not really to cricket when someone is getting a metal ect. im white i dont understand it i think its stupid. I think its a thing for the darkies cracks me up to see white guys doin it, not knowing what the hell they are saying.

Wenier
25th March 2006, 15:36
Now dont get me wrong with the start of the thread. I have no problem of the Haka being used at the start of an All Blacks rugby game, that seems to have significance of calling out the opposition for battle being rugby instead of war.

But when you do it for every medal not jus Gold medals it gets over used. And as i said very rude to do it overtop of another countries celebration of their victory. (Over the Bagpipes for the Scots)

Hitcher
25th March 2006, 15:56
I read an article by an Australian columnist who called it the "hakarena". I laughed. Out loud. Oh the shame of being amused by an Australian...

MidnightMike
25th March 2006, 16:09

:Oops: They were probably wondering why they do it whenever someone moves :scratch:

Fluffy Cat
25th March 2006, 17:08
He he, quote;
I do the Haka everytime I have a shit, or a wank.

Funny that, as I have a wank or a shit everytime I do a Haka.

terbang
25th March 2006, 18:51
Funny thing I was talking on the phone to a mate of mine the other day, the conversation was in Indonesian, and he was puzzled and asked me why the Haka saying "You Die" was important to NZers. I had no answer as I don't speak Maori and didn't know what Ka mate meant though I had to to agree because in Bahasa Indonesian it sounds like a perfectly acceptable "Kau Mati". Kau being like the short for Kamu (you) and Mati (Die or Death). Maori is an Austronesian language which has origins in Asia and there are a lot of similar words.
Whilst the words are understood far away the motive or intent certainly isn't.
I also think it has been overdone a bit at the games..

rfc85
26th March 2006, 01:07
I don't want to be rough on you guys but anybody who truly thinks that NZ is (Quote) A Western Country of Significance, must be blinded by illusions of grandeur.

New Zealand to me," a bloody Foreigner", is a beautyfull country at the the bottom of the planet, a great place to live BUT of absolutely no significance whatsoever and probably it is not even a "Western country" whatever that supposed to mean.................................
then fuck to where you came from-we won't miss you-

Crazy Steve
26th March 2006, 01:10
Whats a Haka.....

Please someone explain...

Crazy Steve...

Shadows
26th March 2006, 01:48
It's more than overdone, its fucking embarrassingly so. When it was just the domain of the AB's, yeah OK. But every five minutes????

I just imagine the rest of the world saying "look, there's those people from that little country, what was it again? Doing their quaint little cave man dance hahaha don't they look silly!"

Limb
26th March 2006, 08:25
i dont think they should do haka over other people who got gold..

terbang
26th March 2006, 11:18

As a Kiwi that has lived in many parts of the world I have to agree. At 4 mill pop its a great place to live but in reality it is nothing more than one of the larger islands of polynesia that is better known as a cheap tourist destination.
That suits me as rurally its a good place to bring up kids which is why I am back here though the state schooling sucks big time. It is also a great place to ride motorcycles though there are many others.

Pixie
26th March 2006, 12:36
If I ever do anything of note,or die a hero.
The 2 things that will make me seek revenge or come back and haunt the person that made the arrangements,are having some Scotts transvestite blowing the bagpipes or a bunch of savages doing a monkey dance.

Pixie
26th March 2006, 12:40
more and more non-maori are finding an affinity with the "Ka Mate" haka as a common link to their home.

Funny that.... It's about hiding from your pursuers under a womans skirt.

bigbadwolf
27th March 2006, 10:45
Hakas in general are overused. I went to a pretentious rich private school where they decided they were going to have a special haka for our rugby matches, even though A) We were absolutely shite at rugby, and B) There were 2 Maoris at our school, out of a roll of 600. Absolute crock of shite. They even hired in some 'professionals' to make up our haka for us, because we couldn't do it ourselves, and in the end the haka meant something about ripping our enemies heads off and boiling them in a pot.

The first rugby game we used it at, with our top team, we lost 73-0. The whole school was forced to sit there and watch this farce, until the end where they made us all go out onto the field to do the haka for the winning school, and they laughed at us and walked away.

Can't say I give a shit though...

Grahameeboy
27th March 2006, 10:55
I am from London and to me the Haka should only be performed by Maori's not Pakiha because it is not part of Pakiha Culture.....maybe I just have a simple view which is wrong but even with a NZ passport I do not call myself a New Zealander..........it just seems to me to be a publicity stunt that is getting over used these days

NordieBoy
27th March 2006, 10:59
Funny that.... It's about hiding from your pursuers under a womans skirt.

Do you get to choose the woman?

Hitcher
27th March 2006, 11:09
And anyway, the hakarena is no less irritating than "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi".

Grahameeboy
27th March 2006, 11:14
And anyway, the hakarena is no less irritating than "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi".

Or Chelsea, Chelsea.....we are gonna win the league....................

Grahameeboy
27th March 2006, 11:18

Because they were gentleman.......anyway, what is really scary about the Haka if that was it's intention? If they ran at the opposition doing it that would be different.

Lou Girardin
27th March 2006, 12:31
It's well past it's due date.
It's an embarrassment, it is intimidating for tourists, it's a joke to watch either skinny kids or flab wobbling Maoris perform it. And it just reinforces attitudes that Maoris should be trying to overcome - the staunch bullshit.
God only knows what the rest of the world think we are when they see it.

ManDownUnder
27th March 2006, 13:01
Na - I reckon they should do it...

The Haka is part of the NZ culture, as it is with a variety of other pacific island, but "Ka mete" is NZ.

It's well known by kiwis, and when used in the appropriate context (like performing it for your fellows that have won a gold) it'd bring tears to the eyes.

For me, there is nothing like a reminder of home when I'm international, and the few things that do it for me are, Kiwi music (especially D Dobbin, Mi Sex, any of the Tim and Neil Finn bands etc), the kiwi flag, the national anthem and the Ka Mete haka.

They're icons that kiwis identify with and they have a unifying effect.

I think the haka has a "special" place too because in performing it, you're basically sdaying "I'm making a spectacle of myself, doing something special, for YOU"

scumdog
27th March 2006, 13:38
The Haka? A nice wee pub near Kurow, Oldtimers territory almost.

scumdog
27th March 2006, 13:45
Just what everyone thinks about the Haka and the amount of use it has had in the Commonwealth Games?

Personally I think it has been, fine use it when we get a Gold but not for every medal. And I thought it was rude and ignorant when they did it over the Bag pipes for the Scottish guy when the Scot had got the Gold.

There was a Commonwealth Games? and a Haka? ah well, live and learn.

Back Fire
27th March 2006, 18:10
It's ridiculous how we have to endure some of this cultural stuff, especially at school. Take your USA hoodies off, get rid of your ghetto attitude and start wearing your grass skirts 24/7 then I might start taking your culture seriously

And if any disagrees with me, you're racist!

Couldn't have put it better myself

BuFfY
27th March 2006, 18:27
I don't think the haka is over done... I think it was out of line drowning out the bag pipes though...
Something we need to accept is that New Zealand is a multi cultural society/country and the haka is a part of our identity. As a New Zealander I have great pride watching the boys do the haka... showing their pride in our gorgous country.
We talked about this in my Maori class today and my lecturer, who is Maori, feels strongly about its use. It shows the world that we are happy to embrace the language and culture of the Maori. It is a symbol of New Zealand and an identifying feature when travelling overseas... I love it! :)

grego
27th March 2006, 23:38
I am willing to embrace any part of any culture that brings me closer to ENLIGHTENMENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Checked out the Maori culture and drew a complete blank.
SORRY !!!!

NotaGoth
28th March 2006, 00:01
Take back your seabed and foreshore. Claim back all your land. And we'll take back cars, and houses, and all technology that wasn't here before. You can go back to your grass skirts and huts. And take your waka out rather than going to mc dick for dinner.

I'm a racist cause I'm white.

Stuff the haka. It ain't got jack shit to do with the new zealand culture and its even more offensive than this pathetic little post of mine.

"they were the first ones here"

UTTER CRAP. Anyone hear about the celtic style ruins that have been found? Oh and not to mention sunken sailing ships the date back before anything maori? :spudwhat: As far as I'm concerned its been kept pretty hush hush. But we'll just stick to the story that maori were here first. And anyone who disagrees is a racist.

Here, you can have a scholarship cause you have maori in you...

There ain't nothing kiwi bout the haka. Its just a little something thats shoved down our throats. :whistle:

Stuff this I'm off to join the KKK

N4CR
28th March 2006, 00:05
DIDDNT THEY EAT HE MORIOREYS ANYWAY IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN I'D LOVE TO SEE SOME FDORESHORE CLAIMS FROM THE MOREYOREYS AND GETTING LIKE SIX MILL PAYOUTS WHAT A HOOt.

NotaGoth
28th March 2006, 00:09
DIDDNT THEY EAT HE MORIOREYS ANYWAY IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN I'D LOVE TO SEE SOME FDORESHORE CLAIMS FROM THE MOREYOREYS AND GETTING LIKE SIX MILL PAYOUTS WHAT A HOOt.

I'm gonna sue them cause I feel I'm being treated poorly cause I'm not black. Eg: no scholarships etc. If thats not racism at its best then I don't know what is.

N4CR
28th March 2006, 00:12
I'm gonna sue them cause I feel I'm being treated poorly cause I'm not black. Eg: no scholarships etc. If thats not racism at its best then I don't know what is.

YEAH I DO FIND UNIVERSITIES, COURSES AND SUBSIDISING BASED ON RACE QUITE UNFAIR, WHAT ABOUT ALL THE POOR WHITE KIDS, I SEE HEAPS EVERY DAY GOING THROUGH GLEN INNES, NOT JUST POOR ISLANDER/MAORI KIDS ETC.

WONDER HOW FAR I'D GET IF I FUNDED A WHITE ONLY UNIVERSITy? OH NO, THAT WOULD BE RAAAAAYYYYCCIISSSST. THEN AGAIN I'LL MAKE IT BACTERIA ONLY.

NotaGoth
28th March 2006, 00:20
YEAH I DO FIND UNIVERSITIES, COURSES AND SUBSIDISING BASED ON RACE QUITE UNFAIR, WHAT ABOUT ALL THE POOR WHITE KIDS, I SEE HEAPS EVERY DAY GOING THROUGH GLEN INNES, NOT JUST POOR ISLANDER/MAORI KIDS ETC.

WONDER HOW FAR I'D GET IF I FUNDED A WHITE ONLY UNIVERSITy? OH NO, THAT WOULD BE RAAAAAYYYYCCIISSSST. THEN AGAIN I'LL MAKE IT BACTERIA ONLY.

white only university you'd be shut down quick smart.

"Its ok kids remember, if your white mummy and daddy pay for everything."

Like this chick I know, got kicked out of home. Went to see WINZ and the guy outrightly turned her down and told her if she was a different colour that it would be a different story. Thats when she told him to put his fucking sunglasses and have another look at her.

Krusti
28th March 2006, 06:22
Could allways try the "I had some Maori in me last night" line:laugh:

Grahameeboy
28th March 2006, 07:06
Take back your seabed and foreshore. Claim back all your land. And we'll take back cars, and houses, and all technology that wasn't here before. You can go back to your grass skirts and huts. And take your waka out rather than going to mc dick for dinner.

......and Nike gear......................

Gotta agree with you though...to me we are all equal......we are all custodians of this land which should be enjoyed by all.

I mean the Aborigines and Native American Indians have a lot more to complain about and even now they are still suffering from the loss of their 'earth' culture........I think it was 1974 when it was illegal to shoot an Aborigine..................

MisterD
28th March 2006, 07:36

Good ideas but not particularly practical, how about we charge them a "technology licencing fee" out of every bloody treaty settlement, to cover all the technology, infrastructure etc we brought to the country?