PDA

View Full Version : Where woz ya, yah poofters ?

Ixion
26th March 2006, 19:03
After the discussion about riding in the rain, and Mrs Ixion intimating that nothing would get her out of the house "in this weather", the logic of going for a short blat in the rain seemed inevitable.

Der Uberfarter agreed ("Ach, zu call zis rain? In zer Reich zis ve call zer morning dew"), so waterproofs on and off on a short tootle, up the southern and northern to Silverdale, down Lone Pine Rd to Old North Road, up to Kaucop, then back through Helensville, Waitakere, north-western, southern, down to Manurewa, Alfriston Rd, Clevedon, Twilight Rd and home.

And throughly enjoyable. Completely dry when I got home, even my feet (that'll be thanks to the GAITERS, from the friendly army surplus shop opposite the billboard of the binty with the huge hooters). Great fun. Anyone who says riding in the rain is no fun needs to give it a try.

Doesn't look like they are though , cos all the way to Kaucop, and back to the southern, I saw not one single bike!

Then two on the southern, the ONLY bikes I saw on the whole trip. And... wait for it, one was a crusier, and the other a GN250! So where woz all you sprotsbikers then ? Nobody at Kaucop, nobody at Clevedon, nobody on the roads! The GN250s are putting you gixxer fellas to shame it seems.

Wind on the Harbour Bridge was a bit breezy, but nothing to speak of , but one point along SH16, just after the Helensville turnoff, the hills were channelling the wind over the flat land, and it was about as bad as I remember. I was hanging off the side of the bike like a sprotsbiker, just to keep going straight.

Not much traffic, the advantage of a wet day ride, and they were all really good about moving over to let me through (not that I was going fast, just legal and a wee bit). Even driving onto the gravel to let me overtake
:whistle:

With one notable exception - to the pimply faced dickhead in the Hill Flooring van on the southern motorway - if you're going to treat the world to an exhibition of incompetant driving, cutting in on people, tailgating, swapping back and forth from lane to lane without signalling: don't you think it might be wise NOT to do it in a vehicle with your employers name and phone number plastered all over it ?

Lots of tree bits and slippery leaf stuff all over the roads, otherwise all good.

I stopped at the old Grand Hotel in Helensville for a coffee, and had a talk to the landlady. They've just taken the place over and are VERY biker friendly. Even found me a copy of the latest Kiwirider to read while I had my coffee. She says that by next summer they will have everything open, bar, cafe, dining room, and they're going to set up a secure parking/garden bar at the back for bikers! It's a nice place, and nice people, may be a good place to wash the dust off next summer.

So where woz u all, y' poofters. Missed a really good day for a ride I reckon.

Kept dry as a bone, and warm as, only problem was that on the way up I put my hood up, and it sealed my helmet so well that even with all the vents open it still fogged up, so I had to leave the visor open a bit. On the way back I tucked the hood away and that solved the misting

Gremlin
26th March 2006, 19:08
neat...

aahhh, errr.... (finds excuse) here we go:

My rear tyre is looking a little sad, trying to make it last, but no fun in rain :yes:

bet thats a good one :stupid:

kickingzebra
26th March 2006, 19:10
Err, I didn't have any gas... Was thinking about joyous riding today, but had bikers for lunch instead (they were delicious)
But tomorrow, I shall enjoy the rain for all I am worth, the only major decision will be whether I actually get off at work, or just carry on!!

SwanTiger
26th March 2006, 19:12
Oh Silverdale, you should of sent me a PM I would of tagged along from there.

Good to hear about the Grand Hotel, I was thinking that there needs to be a KB Sunday Cruise on a weekly basis with a general destination in mind. Maybe this can be it. I'd enjoy knowing my money on crap such as junk food, drinks and so on are going to a motorcycle friendly person.

Ixion, what bike were you on - the white police bike? - when I was out before on my bike I saw a bike I couldn't really identify through my misty wet helmet; it waas two up, man and woman in blue jackets and dark pants.

crashe
26th March 2006, 19:20
Well I was out in a car today (Ok I have a good excuse for this at the moment).

I spotted two brave souls out there riding, heading towards the city (leaving Te Atatu Off Ramp) Both Harley riders with bags wraped up in a black plastic rubbishbag attached to their sissybars...
Must of been heading back home after the weekend up here in the big smoke out West.

Never spotted any more riders out there today...

Guess everyone was at home watching the commonwealth games on telly today.

Good onya Ixion and Mrs Ixion for braving the elements out there on the bike today. well done mate.

Waylander
26th March 2006, 19:27
I was out riding over the kaimais. Hate sundays. Fuck all on tv during the day and nothing else to do since I have no life other than my bike.

terbang
26th March 2006, 19:35
Point taken..Glad you enjoyed the ride now I just gotta go drive a plane in all this tomorrow..

Bonez
26th March 2006, 19:40
All I can say is- GOOOO THE GN'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Jantar
26th March 2006, 19:40
Rain? Was it raining somewhere today? Well how about sending some down to us in the far south. 1 degree of frost when I left home for work this morning, but 18 degrees and a beautiful riding day coming home tonight. :sunny:

But hell we sure do need some rain.

Ixion
26th March 2006, 20:57
..Ixion, what bike were you on - the white police bike? - when I was out before on my bike I saw a bike I couldn't really identify through my misty wet helmet; it waas two up, man and woman in blue jackets and dark pants.

White bike, but not me. One up and you'd have noticed the fluoro vest (I hope)

2much
26th March 2006, 21:41
Ever tried riding in the rain on Racetechs or Supercorsas?

Bout as much fun as a circumcision.

Waylander
26th March 2006, 21:44

Weak excuse mate.:rolleyes:

justsomeguy
26th March 2006, 21:45

As TL Rider - he was riding on Canvas yesterday in heavy rain- didn't slow him down.

Motu
26th March 2006, 21:58
I have practicaly stayed inside all day,but that was almost a plan as I did my ride yesterday.But if I hadn't,I'm not adverse to taking the bike out in crap weather,and I'd like to see how the DT230 went in the wet...and mud.

My ride yesterday was sanctioned by my wife after I had a major break down,I complained tearfully of my stress levels,and how I couldn't even go to work on saturday...so she thought a ride might do me the world of good - and it did.I did over 350km in 6 hrs,went down as far as Marokopa,I'd been 3 hrs,so then turned around to head for home.I took a detour out to Taharoa,it was a pleasant dead end....passed a horse trotting along,passed him on the way back...I think he was a local.I pulled up beside a couple of Maori girls on an XR100,no helmets and the girl on the back had shorts and bare feet,with no pillion pegs - I went down a couple of gears and went up the straight road sideways,they got a big kick out of that.I'm sure the safety Nazi's here would say they will die a horrible death,but I didn't tell them that,we just smiled and waved.I missed the road that cut over to Kinohaku,but the seal is ok,so didn't mind missing it.

I saw some of the straglers on the Triumph Coast to Coast run,we all waved,even the Harley with ape hangers,the only other bikes I saw were some BMW F650s,going somewhere - but they didn't see me having a bowl of chips at Oparau.I don't get to ride saturdays much,so it was a good change for me.

Blairos
26th March 2006, 22:12
Rain? Was it raining somewhere today? Well how about sending some down to us in the far south. 1 degree of frost when I left home for work this morning, but 18 degrees and a beautiful riding day coming home tonight. :sunny:

But hell we sure do need some rain.

I'm sure we could spare some of the 16mm thats has fallen here so far today - with a ton more expected late tomorrow - great excuse not to mow the lawns...

Good to see a KB'er out in it today - thats the spirit! :2thumbsup

scumdog
26th March 2006, 22:18

You mean circumcision can be fun??:shutup:

jonbuoy
27th March 2006, 08:09
Are you really surprised not many people chose to go for a ride? If I have to ride in the rain I do, and it wouldn't stop me if I was touring. But of all the days to grab the keys and think "yeah I'll go for a blat" yesterday wasn't one of them.

Ixion
27th March 2006, 08:49

Why would you run tyres on your bike that you can't ride in the rain? What would happen if you set out in fair weather and then it packed up and started to rain halfway? (Not having a go, I am interested in what tradeoffs people are prepared to accept in setting their bikes up for maximum speed. This appears to be one )

Lou Girardin
27th March 2006, 10:22
Excuse time.
Unscrubbed tyres plus a shitty day, plus a f'in headache from smacking myself in the head with a tyre iron.
So I stayed home and watched cage racing.

Motu
27th March 2006, 10:25
I am probably effected (a?) more in the rain by running pretty aggresive knobs on the road,it's a rather tippy toe existance,but I actualy enjoy the challenge...you really get to extend those ''feelers'' out,bring in a bit more data of your surroundings.

Ixion
27th March 2006, 11:22
Oddly, I always rather liked knobs in the wet. I think that they gave more warning, because the "primary contact" knob would slip a bit - effectively, cos it was like a small slick tyre. But then it would "fall over" to the next knob, which gave a bit of warning to haul back up a bit. So you could ride until you felt the knobs slipping then back off a bit.Course, knobs in the wet you can't match the speed of road tyres.

But then I ride even more Nana-ishly on wet roads than on dry ones.

2much
27th March 2006, 11:48
Why would you run tyres on your bike that you can't ride in the rain? What would happen if you set out in fair weather and then it packed up and started to rain halfway? (Not having a go, I am interested in what tradeoffs people are prepared to accept in setting their bikes up for maximum speed. This appears to be one )

I run a Supercorsa on the rear because I find that with my style of riding, I tend to overheat the edges of road tyres and it doesn't take long before it feels like there's vasoline spread over the sides of the tyres. The other reason is economics, as you're aware 1000's have a real appetite for rear tyres. I can buy either a new road tyre for $300 or a slightly used race tyre for $100 that will last only slightly less than the road tyre.

I do run a road tyre on the front as I've never had a problem with them and prefer the quick warm up and better wet grip.

I have no problem riding in the rain if I get caught out (Got absolutely pissed on coming back from Akld at 1200 Wednesday night). It's actually the lack of visibility that hinders me more. I don't find it as enjoyable in the wet so if it's raining I'll probably find something else to do.