PDA

View Full Version : The hell Dyno... steam style

dangerous
26th March 2006, 19:11
Nothing Bike related but went to a Traction rally today and I wanted to shear some pic's with ya's.

Check out the Dyno, the engines were getting up to 70Hp amazing really when you consider there weight and the mass they can toe.

pic 1 & 2) dyno
3 & 4) a steam powered carousal (runs a generator on the frount of engine)
5) they come in all sizes
6) awesome shit

dangerous
26th March 2006, 19:13
more...

have more if any one wants to see them.

Wenier
26th March 2006, 19:18
Ya must remember that when ya towing stuff HP dont really matter at all, ya need it yea, but not lots. So 70HP sweet but what Torque is it putting out that will tell ya what it can tow.

Motu
26th March 2006, 19:28
I've been to one of those,or atleast vintage farm type rally - better than any classic car or bike meeting I've ever been to.A huge variety of stuff turns up...where do they find this stuff,where do they keep it!?

dangerous
26th March 2006, 19:43
...where do they find this stuff,where do they keep it!?
Buggered if I know Moto, but it was mostley south Is, the crousal rig was brought in from the UK tho, interesting the age of all the engineers.
wish we got pics of the seed baging set up and hey maker ohhh and the saw mill rigs.... and the pile driver.

funny thing is, this is were it all started as far as piston power... if it wasent for the ingenuity of the guys that built these machines... I wounder if the piston engine as we know it (in our bikes) would be the same.

SPman
26th March 2006, 19:55
That out at Lincoln?
My sisters boyfreind is in to all those things, goes up to Fielding every weekend.......apparently....given ideal conditions, you could get some of those things up to 70mph....:eek:

limbimtimwim
26th March 2006, 20:59
That's us in 50 years. When bikes will be all but extinct.

Ixion
26th March 2006, 21:03
I love steam, wonderful stuff. Just a pity that it's too bulky to fit on a bike. I'd love a steam car, one of the later ones a Doble or similar.

Motu
26th March 2006, 21:10
For how long did we call a road roller a steam roller? I still do,but I don't know what people call them these days,or if they even notice them.I know a guy who is building a 1/4 size steam roller/traction engine,he has a set of wheels to convert it to each.He's been doing it for years,and every now and then bring down something he has made to show me.Last time I saw him he had just had the boiler tested and had done a test fire,it's nearly ready to roll (pun intended) Like Burt Munro and Ralph Watson it has all been done on just a standard lathe.Damn,I wish I had time to potter away like that....

Sniper
27th March 2006, 08:39
Farking hell D, I didn't think you were this old?

Krusti
27th March 2006, 09:54
Here you go, both these vehicles have roughly the same horsepower! One does have a little more torque though and the other is a little faster.<_<

Ixion
27th March 2006, 11:34
For how long did we call a road roller a steam roller? I still do,but I don't know what people call them these days,or if they even notice them.,,..

I remember seeing "real" steam rollers (ie steam driven ones) working on the roads as a little kid. So I guess the phrase must have been current intot he 60's anyway. I also still call them steam rollers. And we still speak of ships as steamers.

Motu
27th March 2006, 12:27
My father worked as a mechanic for Bitumix in the late 50s,early 60s....and he would correct us everytime we said steam roller,he hated that...road rollers! So I don't know where we picked it up....But a lot of the old steam rollers were converted to diesel,so expect we saw a few of those at work.

dangerous
27th March 2006, 17:47
I remember seeing "real" steam rollers
Bugger it, there were a few there but no pic's of them sorry

Farking hell D, I didn't think you were this old?
Dont look bad for my age aye man :wait:

Sniper
27th March 2006, 18:58
Dont look bad for my age aye man :wait:

I refuse to comment on the grounds my arse may be tested for firmness again........ :nya:

GR81
27th March 2006, 20:17
That out at Lincoln?
McLeans Island by the looks of things.

dangerous
27th March 2006, 20:30
That out at Lincoln?

McLeans Island by the looks of things.
Na out at Rangiora show grounds.