PDA

View Full Version : Touring the South Island

UK PJ
27th March 2006, 08:09
Hi all,

This is Phil from the UK....just joined your site! Trust that your all well? I'm looking for a little guidance.....

I'm coming over to NZ next January and plan to hire bikes and tour the South Island. Having cycled the North last time I was over, I've decided to use a motor for the South!

Does anyone know of any sites that have suggested routes for a 7-10 day tours? I've looked at the bike hire sites, but there's not all that much info.

Can anyone help? Have a great Monday!

Phil

Lou Girardin
27th March 2006, 08:18
Email me at rentals@amps.co.nz. We do Harleys and Triumph rentals.

Paul in NZ
27th March 2006, 08:31
Where are you flying in to (I assume Christchurch?)

How far / long do you like to ride each day?

Do you prefer mountains or beaches?

Whats your budget for accomodation like?

Cheers

clint640
27th March 2006, 12:11
Get the NZ motorcycle atlas, by Peter Mitchell, published by Hema Maps. It shows all the good stuff & has suggested itineraries. Apart from a bit of straight boring stuff through Canterbury ya can't go too far wrong doon south, it's all good.

Cheers
Clint

jonbuoy
27th March 2006, 12:34
You crazy bastard!! Lot of respect for those guys who cycle round with their world on their backs.

SDU
27th March 2006, 15:31
Welcome to the site.
Get a good map & check out the nz tourist sites to work out what things you'd like to see on the trip & go from there. If you have questions about some of the places / roads just ask, a local is bound to pop up to help.
The South island is full off awesome roads.
As Clint said the motorcycle atlas will be a good thing if you can get a copy.
Here are a couple of sites that may be helpful for places to stay on your travels.

http://www.bike-stay.net/newzealand/index.html

http://www.globalvillagebackpackers.co.nz/

elphick
27th March 2006, 16:52
The largest backpacker network is BBH:
www.backpack.co.nz

The standard of backpacker places is getting better and better - spa pools are all the rage now. Most places book up a day or so ahead at that time of year.

I did a 10 day tour starting in Christchurch on Dec 28th 2005. Route was:
Christchurch
Dansey's Pass (40km dirt road to cover)
Wanaka
Franz Joseph Glacier
Blackball
Nelson Lakes
Takaka / Golden Bay
Blenheim
Kaikoura (Go see the Dolphins !)

Alternatively you could do Queenstown and Milford Sound at the south end rather than going over to Golden Bay in the North. You basically can't go wrong. Don't overdo the miles per day.

It is magic !

branco
27th March 2006, 19:44
Boy do i miss southend on sea. Let me know when you are gonna be here, i live on the west coast.

UK PJ
27th March 2006, 19:53
Boy do i miss southend on sea. Let me know when you are gonna be here, i live on the west coast.

You miss Southend? Why? Did you use to live here?

I'm in NZ from 28DEC-21JAN'07....not sure at this stage when we'll be touring (my NZ/UK cousin will be with me) but would like to meet up!

Laters...

UK PJ
27th March 2006, 19:57
Where are you flying in to (I assume Christchurch?)

How far / long do you like to ride each day?

Do you prefer mountains or beaches?

Whats your budget for accomodation like?

Cheers

Yes, my family live in Wellington, so will probably fly down to Christchurch to hire. Happy to ride 200-250kms a day I suppose. Def prefer mountains and no real budget. I suppose upto $120 per room per night?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Kiwi
27th March 2006, 20:02
Hi there,

have a look at www.biketoursnz.com - they have some rentals as well.

good luck
Kiwi