PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting - FXR

phoenixgtr
27th March 2006, 10:00
Hey guys. I'm having trouble starting my FXR, especially in the cold mornings.

Ok, so what happens is: it will start first time, every time as long as I have the choke on full. As soon as I touch the choke, it dies. Once it's died the first time dont think about getting it started again. It took me about 10 mins this morning to get it going again. Once its going I have to leave the choke on full for at least 3 or 4 mins before it will let me drop it even slightly.

So i'm sitting out there at 7.30 in the morning with my bike revving at about 4000rpm, waking up all the neighbours.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Warren
27th March 2006, 10:31
I am not an expert but keep the choke on full and just put the bike into gear and ride off slowly and very very slowly open the throttle, and after a few blocks you should be able to turn down the choke.

If you keep the bike in a warmer place (garage) it should be easier to start.

Str8 Jacket
27th March 2006, 10:36
[QUOTE=phoenixgtr]

So i'm sitting out there at 7.30 in the morning with my bike revving at about 4000rpm, waking up all the neighbours.

[QUOTE=phoenixgtr]

HAHA! Try 6.30am with my bike. I have a really steep driveway so it HAS to be warmed up completely before I even attempt to go! And I start my bike up in the craport right next to the neighbours bedroom...
As for your problem id go with what Warren said... used to work a treat with the GN. Or just leave the choke on and maybe go have a word to your neighbours...

phoenixgtr
27th March 2006, 10:42
Cheers, but if I had a garage I would keep it in there. The colds not causing the problem, it's just making it worse. I still have to use the choke to get it going on a hot summers day

scumdog
27th March 2006, 10:44
Cheers, but if I had a garage I would keep it in there. The colds not causing the problem, it's just making it worse. I still have to use the choke to get it going on a hot summers day

Souunds like (for whatever reason) you are running a pretty lean mixture.

That's what chokes are for, just use it as mentioned above.

phoenixgtr
27th March 2006, 10:46
And I start my bike up in the craport right next to the neighbours bedroom...

Hehehe...They must love you

RINGA DINGA DING

Str8 Jacket
27th March 2006, 11:12
Hehehe...They must love you

RINGA DINGA DING

Doesn't everybody?

Ixion
27th March 2006, 11:26
Sounds fairly normal for a single. Ratty would be much the same. I just start on full choke, leave it on full choke and limp up the drive out of immediate earshot of neighbours and wait a few minutes until I can back the choke off.

What sort of neighbours do you have that are still asleep at 0730 hours? Lazy sods, do them good to be wakened up.

Now, if I ever have to take out the GT750 early in the morning they WOULD have something to complain about. It will only run on two cylinders until it has warmed up with choke on for a few minutes.

And a 750cc two stroke revving up under your bedroom window is GUARANTEED to put an end to any notions of sleep!

phoenixgtr
27th March 2006, 15:46
Doesn't everybody?

Well of course :D

Cheers Ixion

Sketchy_Racer
27th March 2006, 20:23
Replace your sparkplug. It would suprise me if that doesnt fix it

FROSTY
27th March 2006, 20:40
SNAP--I bet a new plug will help heaps

phoenixgtr
28th March 2006, 08:35
Replace your sparkplug. It would suprise me if that doesnt fix it

Or at least clean it?

I thought that might be a help

Cheers guys

classic zed
28th March 2006, 22:20
I had one in the other week that needed a lot of choke, also it would not rev out fully and struggled going up hill.
I tracked it down to a split carb diaphram, it wouldnt lift the slide. As I said I dont know if its relavent to your bike as I dont know if your carb has a diaphram. If it has it might be worth a look.

:ride:

kickingzebra
28th March 2006, 23:02
Check also connections on plug lead, coil etc, make sure no corrosion, maybe spray with CRC etc to drive off any water? Just a thought, yeah, and replace sparky, or clean and regap, but they are only ten bucks or something.

Flyingpony
29th March 2006, 08:50
Mine starts fine first pop every time without choke or throttle - obviously it won't idle for long so it'll then get throttle or choke depending if already geared up.

When is the last time you replaced your spark plug and cleaned your air filter?

Been playing with the carb screws?

Does it accept throttle while it's stuck on full choke?
This relates to my next question, do you switch off the fuel tap?
I've noticed if I do that and leave it sitting for a few weeks or happened to ride off into the sun set with it off - 350m splutter splutter, it's a bugger to restart because there's no fuel in the carb. Find myself waiting for a minute before there's enough petrol to start and then a few more with full choke until it's not touchy to throttle input or choke closure.

You should be running 91 octane petrol.
When warned up, the engine sould idle at around 1500-1800rpm.

phoenixgtr
29th March 2006, 09:03
Cheers KZ. Will do this weekend

phoenixgtr
29th March 2006, 09:33
Mine starts fine first pop every time without choke or throttle - obviously it won't idle for long so it'll then get throttle or choke depending if already geared up.

When is the last time you replaced your spark plug and cleaned your air filter?I havent replaced my spark plug since I got it. It only just ticked over 10,000ks. Cleaned the air filter about 2,000ks ago

Been playing with the carb screws? Nope

Does it accept throttle while it's stuck on full choke? Yes it does
This relates to my next question, do you switch off the fuel tap?
I've noticed if I do that and leave it sitting for a few weeks or happened to ride off into the sun set with it off - 350m splutter splutter, it's a bugger to restart because there's no fuel in the carb. Find myself waiting for a minute before there's enough petrol to start and then a few more with full choke until it's not touchy to throttle input or choke closure. I only switch it off when I'm leaving my bike for quite a while, quite often I forget to and its still the same when I come to start it
You should be running 91 octane petrol. I am. 96 was worse with warming up
When warned up, the engine sould idle at around 1500-1800rpm. I've got mine idling at about 1800rpm

Cheers for the suggestions. The only thing I can think of from that is the spark plug

Flyingpony
29th March 2006, 12:46
Cheers for the suggestions. The only thing I can think of from that is the spark plug
Changed mine at 12k so you are about due too. They cost about $15 dollars. Are tiny little things and fiddly to get at because of the chassis frame. Can't use the car sized removal tool on them, you'll need the one which is one size down.

Another very good point mentioned in this thread is the "split carb diaphram". The FXR model is well known to spilt them. Put this high up on your list.

Did it just recently start developing this starting problem?

phoenixgtr
29th March 2006, 13:14
Did it just recently start developing this starting problem?
Its always been a bit of a bitch but has especially gotten worse in the last 2 weeks.

I heard about the split carb diaphrams before. Might pay to have a look when I'm checking the plug