PDA

View Full Version : its getting slippery again.

FROSTY
27th March 2006, 20:34
Guys not wanting to sound like a cracked record but we need to take extra care right now. Its getting dark so early cagers arent used to night commuting. With the wet oily slippery roads its getting pretty nasty out there.
lets be extra carefull hu folks

sunhuntin
28th March 2006, 20:17
have to agree there....im seriously thinking of investing in some reflective strip of my jacket and pants...but then the sun comes up and i forget why id need any...lol.

watch the paint lines people....had enough bad news over summer....lets all see the next one in together eh?

SwanTiger
28th March 2006, 20:25
Yep, pays to be careful on the roads now.

Just to provide some emphasis, I was pulling into a road at approximately 15 - 20 kmp/h with a slight lean. The front tyre slipped out a good 15 - 20 centermeters and proceded to go side ways. I managed to keep it upright by putting my foot down, scrapping along the ground, holding the bike before the wheels gripped again.

On my return home I inspected the road to see what the cause may of been. I came to the conclusion that the pine needles scattered about had started the slip. Pine needles are rather hard to see...

So that just goes to show, 100kmp/h or 10kmp/h, anything can happen.

Had plenty of slips and slides along SH 1 too, but thats entertaining when your stuck behind traffic.

FROSTY
28th March 2006, 20:31
get yaself some new tyres swanny-

justsomeguy
28th March 2006, 20:57
Yep, pays to be careful on the roads now.

Just to provide some emphasis, I was pulling into a road at approximately 15 - 20 kmp/h with a slight lean. The front tyre slipped out a good 15 - 20 centermeters and proceded to go side ways. I managed to keep it upright by putting my foot down, scrapping along the ground, holding the bike before the wheels gripped again.

On my return home I inspected the road to see what the cause may of been. I came to the conclusion that the pine needles scattered about had started the slip. Pine needles are rather hard to see...

So that just goes to show, 100kmp/h or 10kmp/h, anything can happen.

Had plenty of slips and slides along SH 1 too, but thats entertaining when your stuck behind traffic.

Get some Continental Contiforces. You can clock a CBR250 with one inch of water on the road and they'll still grip. Just take it a bit smooth while braking and cornering.

justsomeguy
28th March 2006, 20:59

What the wise man says :yeah:

OH yeah congrats on 7k posts young fella.:drinknsin

SwanTiger
28th March 2006, 21:05

May just do that at some stage, I have plenty of tread left on mine, but they don't seem to be the best in the wet, especially the front tyre.

However, my main problem at the moment is sorting out my suspension which isn't very adjustable on a Hyosung.

FROSTY
28th March 2006, 21:10
swanny--start a new thread on the subject. In a nutshell i'd suggest ya strip down the front end and put decent fork oil in it.Get a decent set of tyres and you wont believe the difference

justsomeguy
28th March 2006, 21:14
You giving out advice again? I thought you agree to keep your head down?

No, I agreed to not pass people on blind corners and break too many road laws while on group rides and to take a break from newbie/open to all KB rides unless I get invited on them.

Understand.

metric
28th March 2006, 22:27
Guys not wanting to sound like a cracked record but we need to take extra care right now. Its getting dark so early cagers arent used to night commuting. With the wet oily slippery roads its getting pretty nasty out there.

good call

when it gets wet it seems like cagers get more irrational than usual...

SixPackBack
28th March 2006, 22:43
You giving out advice again? I thought you agree to keep your head down?

:niceone: .................

sAsLEX
28th March 2006, 22:45
Is it just me or do brakes tend to bite a lot more suddenly in the wet than in the dry? Making it slightly more challenging to brake hard smoothly in the wet?

Shouldn't! should be slipperyer, with the pads and discs generally being alot colder, the GP guys run diff discs in the rain as their fancy ones run too cold and dont work,

justsomeguy
28th March 2006, 23:27
Shouldn't! should be slipperyer, with the pads and discs generally being alot colder, the GP guys run diff discs in the rain as their fancy ones run too cold and dont work,

Well my brakes tend to be less sharp and then grip a bit more abruptly rather than progressively.

XP@
29th March 2006, 00:52
good call...
I was looking on trade me the other day for a winter wrist, you know the type that dosent flick the throttle as fast...
couldn't find one :crazy:

so I guess i will have to try and keep myself in check a bit... bloody hard after a good summer though.

sunhuntin
29th March 2006, 13:09
good call

when it gets wet it seems like cagers get more irrational than usual...

ive noticed that....they seem to go faster in town as well "omg, its raining, i might get wet in my fully enclosed cage!!" and then theres me on the bike, soaked to the bones and out the other side again, tootling along at around 45k....cars up my exhaust so they can get home and "out of the rain" lmfao. so funny....cagers in winter are funny to watch.

Ixion
29th March 2006, 14:37
Well my brakes tend to be less sharp and then grip a bit more abruptly rather than progressively.

Yep. 'Tis cos of water of the disks. The pads slip a bit initially, cos water is a good lubricant (and turns to steam, which can actually try to force the pad back in). Then the water is all swished off , and the pads bite. Of course, cos of the initial " WTF , where's me brakes", you've applied a lot more pressure to the lever. And suddenly all that pressure is working - ohh errr !

Just be prepared for it. Or, just give the brakes a tiny squeeze every so often, just to squegee the water off the rotors.

justsomeguy
29th March 2006, 15:47
JSG, i will be out your way tomorrow and may just have a go at this Scenic drive your always on about. If you want the learn then I'll see yo there, If i dont see ya your just chicken shit. no excuses.

OK See you at 8pm at Shell Titirangi - there's a New World there too and some restaurants opposite - so you can't mistake it.

I don't want a group of KB'ers turning up unless you're a bunch of experienced riders. No bitching and moaning allowed either. What happens on Cheenic Dwive :love: stays on the Dwive :love:

Jantar
29th March 2006, 15:50

Is this a continuation of the "Frosty is Slippery and Shady" thread? :psst: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=9211&highlight=slippery+when+frosty

Seriously though. A good reminder.

justsomeguy
29th March 2006, 15:50
Just be prepared for it. Or, just give the brakes a tiny squeeze every so often, just to squegee the water off the rotors.

Yeah thanks.

That's what I do at the moment. Just have to take extra care to make sure I don't enter a corner too hot.

Cookie
29th March 2006, 16:18
Yes - timely. My back tire slipped a bit while braking the other day in rain. :eek:

I guess I was being too heavy on the rear brake without enough in the way of front brake and although going slow at the time, I just hit a smooth patch of tarseal or something and felt the back squirm for a foot or so.

No harm done except I got a little reminder that all it takes is a wee smooth patch or paint or a cow turd or diesel, or .....

Take care Pilgrims.

Blairos
29th March 2006, 17:00
OK See you at 8pm at Shell Titirangi - there's a New World there too and some restaurants opposite - so you can't mistake it.

I don't want a group of KB'ers turning up unless you're a bunch of experienced riders. No bitching and moaning allowed either. What happens on Cheenic Dwive :love: stays on the Dwive :love:

Did this Scenic Drive ride (albeit unintentionally) with Terbang late last Friday afternoon about 5:30ish

Had its fair share of excitement, including a big brown dog that decided it wanted to scream out of a driveway (just past the Transmitter heading south) and try and take a chunk out of us as we rode past - what a great road!

One thing I have noticed is the pine needles/leaf debris that is starting to appear on the roads, as well as some areas of moss waiting for the unsuspecting rider too :ride:

Lou Girardin
29th March 2006, 17:24

Or buy the latest Merc that does that for you.
I sometimes wonder what the driver does in modern luxo cars.

Blairos
29th March 2006, 17:26
I sometimes wonder what the driver does in modern luxo cars.

Ummm - let me see... Texts people, does their hair/makeup etc etc, maybe they should automate all cages so things end up being safer for us!

moko
2nd April 2006, 13:54
We get shitty weather 10 months of the year so all this stuff you guys are worrying about is everyday to us.Wet weather isnt a problem,keep everything smooth,get in the habit of drying your brakes with a bit of pressure every so often and keep your eyes open.Good thing about riding in lousy conditions is that it really sharpens up your throttle,brake and clutch control,plenty of guys ride 12 months of the year here and our weathers a lot worse than anything some of you guys ever see.I use Bridgestone 020`s because they`re brilliant in the wet,sports riders sneer at them,same guys who crap themselves when it rains and I can leave for dead on the big roundabout on my way home from work.One thing that might seem irrelavent at first is make sure you`ve got proper riding gear,if you`re cold and wet you`re distracted and that`s always asking for trouble on a bike.I enjoy riding in the rain,clears all the crap off the road and only difference is I leave a bigger gap between me and other vehicles.

Unit
23rd April 2006, 16:24
Well said Moko. Is anybody here moving to 'winter tyres' and do people consider such a thing? I know the Strada I have on the rear of the TL right now is Hopeless in the wet and if the road is cold but dry not that much better. It was a great summer tyre and get plenty of mile out if it, but honestly I'd rather go through two good tyres that I know will stick than one the I have to nurse in trying conditions.
And yes its time to make sure we will stay warm and dry as well. Your right about this distracting your focus, its all about good gear in the end. I dont choose to go out in the rain, but if I do have to its nice to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

Streetwise
23rd April 2006, 23:25
tell me about it, It took me till 3rd gear today befor the bike stopped spinning the rear. wet, oily, Slippery, it a bugger of a time of year but it does keep the skills up. Take care all

thehollowmen
25th April 2006, 19:51
Well said Moko. Is anybody here moving to 'winter tyres' and do people consider such a thing?

I stick with the well treaded ones, I'm using the trailmax but that comes with the bike and I'm pretty happy in rain and light snow.

"Winter tyres" makes me think of the studded tyres in Northern Europe. Like Norway. They're illegal to drive in the summer over there because of the damage they do to the road.

FROSTY
6th May 2006, 00:17
winter tyres on a sprotbike aint a bad idea.I definitely wish Id fitted a set of P powers to my racebike on sunday.Racers choose tyres to suit the conditions the tyres are MOSTLY gonna be used for--thesame applies to road riders -more rain means bigger grooves more water pumping and quicker/easier tyre warm up.
Also during winter id suggest slightly softer suspension setups.

notme
23rd July 2006, 14:06

Well, this thread was started in March and it's now past the middle of winter, so the weather can only get better! However, it's not the time to get fooled by the occasional patch of great weather - I rode out of Auckland over this weekend and was almost fooled into thinking it was a crisp spring day on the ride south - but I had a couple of instances of a tyre wriggle on slippery roads due to that moss/mould that grows on the crown of some roads and tar snakes with just a touch of moisture on them (valleys, shaded roads).

It's going to get better from here on in people, but don't get complacent! Heed the advice in this thread and enjoy your winter riding :cold:

P.S. Metzler Racetechs - nice tyres but CRAP for winter riding!

paturoa
23rd July 2006, 16:21
Went to picked up my daughter this arvo just after a big shower and going along titirangi rd (by where JSG and Speedie were going to meet this morning) was a 100 meter long diesel or oil trail.

Finding it was easy, I thought I had two flat tyres!

It was then that I saw the line of the "rainbow" on the road.