PDA

View Full Version : XR200 lowering etc

Dooly
28th March 2006, 08:36
Gidday, I've been trying to find an old XR 200A for the missus as her being a shortass, I know that would suit.
Had no luck...unless anyone here has one?

If I brought a mono shock 200, say a later one, mid 90s, how do you go about lowering the seat height, by adjusting the shock, front etc?

Also how low could I expect the bike to get, in relation to stock height?

Cheers.

cheese
28th March 2006, 12:35
the mid 90s XR 200's are pretty low aye, she'd have to be REALLY short!

Anyway I looked at a KDX the other day adn they had a custom spacer made up to make the bike lowwer that fitted to the linkages. YOu might have to do the same.

If you just wind the shock out it will be softer and sag lowwer, which is fine if you're just putting about, but hit some jumps and it will bottom out.

Maybe an XR100??

merv
28th March 2006, 13:15
Do you want a road legal one or not? The later XR200's mid 90's on as mentioned above have shorter front frorks and a low seat height already but were not road kitted.

Last time I looked in Sawyers in Wellington they had a XR200RA in there.

My favourite was the 1983 XR200RD and as I'm a short arse I dropped mine down about 10mm on the triple clamps and wound a bit of preload out of it at the back and that was fine for me and I'm about 165cm only.

With monoshock rear ends you can either fit a shorter shock or if possible change the linkages. Front ends drop the triple clamps down if possible otherwise you have to pull the forks apart and dick around with the internals changing spacers at the top and bottom.

Dooly
28th March 2006, 14:38
Dont want a road legal one, purely for the paddocks.

She's 5 ft 2, well I suppose she could stretch to 4 with boots on.

merv
28th March 2006, 16:00
OK paddocks only means buy a late model one she should be fine as they are not very tall at all and at worst lower the front a bit and take a bit of preload out of the back.

Dooly
28th March 2006, 20:54
Cheers Merv.

Wellyman
29th March 2006, 17:54
Go see Tjbbe Bruin, he has done lowering jobs to past bikes of mine and services my suspension for me and all at a very good price.
WM

merv
29th March 2006, 19:14
Perhaps just to help here the specifics are the earlier XR200R B,C,D versions (I'm not sure of the earlier twin shock A version) had a seat height (fully extended suspension) of 890mm, the later dirt only models sold from mid 90's up until the CRF230 came out had a seat height of 850mm.

I guess with adjustment you'd knock the later models down close to 800mm which is reasonably low for a trail bike.