PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need some advice...

claire
20th April 2004, 20:45
.... now we have a new bike in the family it looks like we're going to be riding all winter. Sorry but I am a wuss in the cold. I need some new boots, preferably ones that will fit nice snug woolly socks in them. I have some Gaernes at the moment they're OK just too small for the woolly socks. Have looked at a few different kinds of boots but nothing jumps out at me. What are you gals wearing and why do you like 'em.

Ta

Claire

Liv, Norway
21st April 2004, 08:24
Hello from a Viking!

I have electrisity in my socks, west and gloves.
And I wear wool close to my skin all over.

It's OK in +5c. I don't ride my bike when it's ice or salt on the roads, so about +1c is my limit!

Special boots for a cold winter:
I don't know, but ask those who ride snowscooters! Try to find a snowscooter club or a store on the 'net.
Yes, I live up here in Norway, but I don't live in Karasjok or Kautokeino in Finnmark. Or Alta, Vadsų, Tana; find a map and ask stores in the cold area!

If you don't need the protections in special bike boots; I remember we had ISBA when I was younger. Who knows; perhaps they still make good boots?

But I can give you one good advice:
Make sure the boots are in your size or bigger! It's the little air inside the boots that's helps! Make sure it's room for you to move your toes! And move your toes while you're riding!

Hope you find some good boots!
Regards Liv.

Ms Piggy
21st April 2004, 08:30
Can't help ya Claire b/c I'm a bit of a mutant & have had problems getting proper riding boots that fit my small feet & BIG calves. I use a pair of steel cap Docs. They're ok but I'd rather have a proper pair.

KATWYN
21st April 2004, 08:51
I wear Gaernes as well. And I wear these long black socks
that fit really well inside (I brought them from motomail
and they seem to do the job- don't know the wool mix,sorry)

Also a boat neck undergarmant (can get them in skivvy top as
well) thats REALLY warm and your skin can breath - can't think
of the name of them (sorry) at the moment I think they are in the
"long johns catagory" of clothing available in blue or black. They are designed to wear underneath your clothes. Got them from Motomail.

Also a face wind breaker that covers nose, mouth chin,neck

and jacket and pants wet weather overgear if it rains.

Well thats what I wear in the cold, theres nothing like being
out on a ride and feeling really grateful you decided to wear
warmer clothing. Sometimes,I have found riding from Auckland
to Coromandal a major temperature difference- were I thought it
was going to be stinking hot - then surpised by a really freezing cold
ride later on......so never again will I go unprepared anywhere
on the bike - at least you are sensibly sussing these things out first!

Now I have just re-read your post and see I was going on about other
stuff you weren't asking about- only the boots ! sorry

Hitcher
21st April 2004, 09:31
Be prepared to invest in warm feet. Go for a leather motorcycle boot with a full Gore-Tex liner. This will keep the wet out and still let your feet breathe. If you want to wear thick socks, get a bigger size boot!

I wear Daytonas with Gore-Tex and have found them absolutely brilliant. You can stand in ankle-deep water and they don't leak!

If your feet get wet, they'll get cold. While something as extreme as a gumboot keeps out the wet, it also doesn't let your feet breathe either and normal perspiration will always mean that any dampness trapped in the boot has the opportunity to be chilled by the passing winter wind.

jrandom
21st April 2004, 09:40
I wear Daytonas with Gore-Tex and have found them absolutely brilliant.

Daytonas rock. If they're at the right price for you, just buy a pair. Really. Hitcher is not exaggerating. With a pair of wooly or otherwise thermally efficient socks on underneath, your toes will still be toasty after a long winter ride. If I'd had an extra $100 in my pocket when I bought my boots I would have got a pair like Hitcher's.

babyB
21st April 2004, 09:42
i have two pairs of boots, Spidi verterbra2 (tepor) and motormail's budget fleece lined boot. dont have a prob with the spidi in the cold with thin socks but when it comes to touring i go for the bugets as they are easer for walkin around in. when doing the tour thing in winter i carry plastic bags to put over socks if boots have gotten soacked ,also carry boot covers and glove covers (mittins) to keep the rain out, thurmals & neck warmer.also have Orina bike pants saves on leggings & really warm (has removable lining)
my tips; the trusty hairdryer has many uses from wet boots/gloves to warmin them before u start out
angoura or opossom fur socks are good but can be expencive (its the hollow fibre that dose the trick)
keep me pants over boots in rain helps stop water seeping to the inside

have fun, hope this helps

claire
21st April 2004, 18:25
Thanks for all the help guys. Will have to check out a pair of these Daytona's by the sound of it. I bought my Gaernes in a hurry and don't have a problem with them - just should have bought the next size up. Had an email from a friend today and she has a pair of Sidi boots too big for her and I have a pair too small so were going to swap boots next time to see how we go.

Claire

wildfire1
2nd May 2004, 08:25
Hi,
My wife bought a pair of Style Martin Streetlife boots - she also does not enjoy the cold, and had tried on a ot of different makes/models before she settled on these. The boots were great all the way round the South Island (pillion) - heat, cold, snow, rain etc and seem to be really good now that she is riding her own bike. I think she wears 'pure wool' socks. & i have water-proofed our leather riding gear with 'snow seal' which worked really well in even the heavy West coast rain :msn-wink: .

claire
2nd May 2004, 16:39
Thanks Wildfire1, have just put a new rear tyre on my bike so the boots will wait another month I suppose.....winter will be over by the time I get round to purchasing some new boots I suppose

Claire

Yarg
2nd May 2004, 20:32
Claire,

Another option- try "sealskinz" socks. Not too thick, waterproof , and warm.
cheaper than a new pair of boots.
Good luck. :sunny:

FROSTY
3rd May 2004, 16:04
hey has anyone tried those dririder boots? --kinda like boot sized condoms --Im told in Pomgolia theyre used all the time to keep the boots dry

Grumpy
3rd May 2004, 16:19
hey has anyone tried those dririder boots? --kinda like boot sized condoms --Im told in Pomgolia theyre used all the time to keep the boots dry
I've used something similar. Helpful hint, plastic bag on first then the "condom". You look bloody stupid bouncing around on one foot trying to the bloody things off.

LB
4th May 2004, 06:09
I use a pair of Spidi overboots when it rains. They are a bit of a pain to put on when you're on the side of the road, it's easier to put them on sitting down on a chair. They are very good, they zip up at the back and they are 100% waterproof. they're made of waterproof fabric. You can't walk around in them too much or the bottoms will wear out, but I would recommend them. I got mine from Motomail, they cost around $80.

LB
4th May 2004, 06:11
And I wear Icebreaker socks, you can get several different weights/styles. They're not cheap, but they're very good. I also have a pair of silk socks, very thin, that I wear under the Icebreakers when it's very very cold. same with gloves, I have a silk pair that I wear under my Spidis when it's really cold. And a silk balaclava. And a silk long-sleeved skivvy thing (for under the Icebreaker tops) The silk stuff really does work, and it's thin so you're not adding bulk.

FROSTY
4th May 2004, 09:22
I use a pair of Spidi overboots when it rains. They are a bit of a pain to put on when you're on the side of the road, it's easier to put them on sitting down on a chair. They are very good, they zip up at the back and they are 100% waterproof. they're made of waterproof fabric. You can't walk around in them too much or the bottoms will wear out, but I would recommend them. I got mine from Motomail, they cost around $80.
thems the ones i was talking about. Ive seen a few people wearing them and they seem like a bloody good idea to me.
Anything to keep the rain out has to help keep ya warm I think :Punk:

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:34
plastic bag then normal socks. just a REAL bad smell later but im a guy and dont care.

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:35
update my budgie just died after taking plastic bag off so my need some odour eaters to go with those

Jay widda 150
16th September 2004, 15:36
woooooooooooooo heeeeeeeeee

Kickaha
16th September 2004, 19:13
And I wear Icebreaker socks, you can get several different weights/styles. They're not cheap, but they're very good. I also have a pair of silk socks, very thin, that I wear under the Icebreakers when it's very very cold. same with gloves, I have a silk pair that I wear under my Spidis when it's really cold. And a silk balaclava. And a silk long-sleeved skivvy thing (for under the Icebreaker tops) The silk stuff really does work, and it's thin so you're not adding bulk.

I hope that's all official "Ducati" silk stuff you're wearing,Loris wouldn't approve if it's not :not:

Paul in NZ
16th September 2004, 19:26
So it's true?

Stand in one place long enough and eventually all the old posts come past... Amazin' Who wudda thought eh?

LB
17th September 2004, 05:29
I hope that's all official "Ducati" silk stuff you're wearing,Loris wouldn't approve if it's not :not:

It's not, but I'm going to get Loris and Troy to autograph it all at the GP so that'll make it official.

Draco
30th September 2004, 15:34
Hi Claire,

If your mate's boots don't fit and you want some new ones, there's heaps of good brands out there, from my experience finding one to fit the shape of your feet and calves is the most important. For keeping warm, if you spend the extra bucks and get a pair guaranteed waterproof, you won't need any thermal socks. I've done a few cold kiwi's and always been the only one with warm feet cause they were dry! I'm laybuying a new pair at the moment, and they are lifetime guaranteed waterproof with two velcro adjusters on the calf (to fit my chicken legs). Dunno if you've ever binned, but don't forget the armour you'll be glad of it!

Cheers, Draco

The Pastor
4th October 2004, 21:36
Gumboots are really hard to change gear in. Really hard unless u like riding in first :D