PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Impulse GSX400X - info please

toad
28th March 2006, 13:15
I'm looking for a service or repair manual for a Suzuki Impulse GSX400X 1987... can anyone help? there does not seem to be any info online, also any constructive info would be awesome. cheers

onearmedbandit
28th March 2006, 15:08
Welcome to the site. Used to have one of those myself (briefly), from memory they share the same motor as the GSXR400 with different carbs. Sorry can't tell you any more.

Smokin
28th March 2006, 15:39
From memory they were all imports, even tho alot were imported new the impulse wasn't ment for a New Zealand release. damn they went well.

gunnyrob
28th March 2006, 16:52
Hiya Smokin, Can't help with the manuals, however be aware many were thrashed through general riding, and some more were used for formula 3 racing. (check your oil sump plug for lockwire holes) I caned the crap out of my one and it was a hoot. I hope you have an iron arse, as I got bad craps after 100km or so. As previously noted, they were a cheap import, $3995 for a brand new bike was a good deal in '87. Good luck.

nudemetalz
28th March 2006, 16:59
I remember a few mates having them when I had my '86 Gixxer 400.
They have a noise all of their own, very high-pitched.
Was not a lot between our machines when racing.

The white or silver-fairing model was a lot better looking than the unfaired blue or green ones.

Buster
28th March 2006, 17:07
I cant help as far as manuals, but I had 1 of these back in 94 incase my RGV broke down. So it got alot of use. Ha!! It was a bloody good bike, sounded awesome and never let me down. But as said before, check the sump plug. I never had any issues with mine at all.

Bonez
28th March 2006, 17:23
My Uncle has one stored in his shed alongside a KZ440. A white faired one. One day I hope to aquire it when he's had one flagon too many. Will be a while though, but worth the wait. Great wee bikes.

megageoff76
28th March 2006, 17:47
I had one of these back in the day, damn good bike. The only problems i had were the standard suzuki coils crapping out when the bike got hot. Fixed that with honda cb900 ones...and my mates always referring to it as the "Re-pulse".

I remember that top gear is way overgeared, so was hard to get to redline in top. Maybe that was it's restriction?

Goblin
28th March 2006, 18:00
I had one of these back in the day, damn good bike. The only problems i had were the standard suzuki coils crapping out when the bike got hot. Fixed that with honda cb900 ones...and my mates always referring to it as the "Re-pulse".

Haha! I used to have a Repulse too, great fun little bike it was...repulsive orange. The coil crapped out on it too....:rolleyes:

nudemetalz
29th March 2006, 07:06
When you rode them, the dash was so high and the seat so low, felt like your arse was dragging on the ground. Strange !!!
But they did go very well, however everyone I know that had one, had THE electrical issue !!!

Insanity_rules
29th March 2006, 07:39
Buddy of mine had brand new one while I had my RG. He was never too far behind me so it must have been pretty f'n fast.

toad
29th March 2006, 08:58

I remember that top gear is way overgeared, so was hard to get to redline in top. Maybe that was it's restriction?

What's the story with the CB900 coils? do the hook up to the GSX400X pretty easily... without any mods? And cheers for the info everyone! great to see

kiwifruit
29th March 2006, 11:16
i had a couple too, yes, both with THE electrical problem,
was only an issue for me in top near redline....
great bikes, id have one again :)
seems kinda hard to find much info bout them online, will keep hunting

megageoff76
29th March 2006, 18:14
What's the story with the CB900 coils? do the hook up to the GSX400X pretty easily... without any mods? And cheers for the info everyone! great to see

Yeah, it was pretty straight forward. Take the tank off, unscrew rubbish suzuki ones, biff in the bin and screw on honda ones. I believe any non suzuki ones will do to fix the problem.

geoffm
29th March 2006, 20:12
Known problems:
Coils (as noted). I have a GSX1100 coil for one of my coils
The CDIs are flaky as well when they get old. GSXR250 ones will do, but I think you have to swap 2 wires over. henry at Takaninni MC knows which 2 wires. ERD do replacement blackboxes - seen regularly on Trademe. My dyno shows no difference in power whatsoever, no matter what he sez.
The rear shock was budget to start with and is probably getting old now. You might be able to get it rebuilt. I have a second hand WP shockie in mine :-)
THey go surprisngly well for a budget bike, and can take a lot of abuse.

If anyone knows of a good engine for one, could you let me know?
Geoff

toad
30th March 2006, 13:20
Hey everyone... cheers for the info and comments! have found myself a guy in the UK (off ebay) that sells manuals on CD. I got the GSXR400 manual (as someone mentioned it's the closest) so when it turns up... if anyone is interested I could post it.

Cheers

The seller name on ebay is: andygill