PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about turbo

Wenier
28th March 2006, 18:19
Now i have a GSXR600 K3 and am thinking of a long term plan to Turbo it.

Now:
1. Has anyone does this?
2. Any idea the cost involved?
3. Do you think it a good/bad idea?

All comments will be appreciated.

R6_kid
28th March 2006, 18:38
had a few beers over this one with my mate who has built many a turbo setup for cars... basically he said in essence it sounds and looks easy at first, to get one going isnt *that* hard... but to get it working properly and responding/delivering power in the right place will take much more time and money than its worth... unless of course you have lots of time and money.

General cost for a turbo setup on a bike 600cc+ seems to between 5-10k based on what the guys in the US are doing.

Advice i got from both bike mechanics and turbo installers was supercharge it (better for smaller engines) or just get nitrous, either way you will get instant HP a good kick in the pants.

bugjuice
28th March 2006, 19:37
it works. it's been done. you can buy the kit off the shelf.
hell, it ain't that hard to fabricate it..

and I've looked at a turbo for my bike, and it looked like I do most of it for under a grand.. hell, it's only a turbo..

FROSTY
28th March 2006, 19:50
If you lot are serious about turbo then Gimme a yell--a mate of mine is a turbo guru

35tickets
28th March 2006, 23:21
Actually Frosty, i wouldn't mind having a chat with your mate, I've got a 1996 ZZR1100 approaching 100,000km and wouldn't mind turning it into something special.
Cost wise.....well we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. Looking at the replies on this thread it looks like costs vary.
I've thought about doing this in the past; i've seen twin turbo ZZR's in japan....absolutly mind blowing.
Be interested to see what other KB'ers have to say as well
Thanks

bugjuice
28th March 2006, 23:25
from what I've discovered so far, if you've got a light pressure turbo, like a Garrett T20, you don't need things like an additional intercooler.

Get a custom header down to a second hand decent turbo, find an oil line to tap into and back, make an airtight custom airbox, few more tweaks, set the carbs to adapt, and you're not far off your own turbo bike..

I've got a few links at work, I'll post them up tomorrow. But it pays to get someone who knows what they're talking about (unlike me, just talkin crap) cos you don't want to blow shit up..
oh, and upgrade some other bits like head gaskets and seals.
Bigger turbo? then you're lookin at more compression adjustment and expensive stuff like that..

Wenier
28th March 2006, 23:27
it works. it's been done. you can buy the kit off the shelf.
hell, it ain't that hard to fabricate it..

and I've looked at a turbo for my bike, and it looked like I do most of it for under a grand.. hell, it's only a turbo..

What companies have these off the shelf kits, wouldnt mind having a look on the net at them if possible.

bugjuice
28th March 2006, 23:28
the link is at work. I'll post it up tomorrow

Wenier
28th March 2006, 23:31
Sweet as sounds great, my bike also fuel injected so probably bit more cost in that.

N4CR
28th March 2006, 23:44
TURBO KITS/INSTALLATION MAJOR SITES:
http://www.bigccracing.com/welcome.asp?page=109

http://www.mrturbo.com/

PERFORMANCE PARTS LISTING FOR BOIKS:

http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/lists/PartsPerformance.html

Insanity_rules
29th March 2006, 07:35
Turbo, OMG that'll kill Kenny! Dude if ya pull it off I'd love to see it. More power to ya.

ajturbo
29th March 2006, 07:48
Now i have a GSXR600 K3 and am thinking of a long term plan to Turbo it.

Now:
1. Has anyone does this?
2. Any idea the cost involved?
3. Do you think it a good/bad idea?

All comments will be appreciated.

DON'T THINK ... JUST DO IT!!!:mega: :Punk:

SimJen
29th March 2006, 07:55
theres a vid floating around the net of a guy with a 6hundy turboed..........wheeelies for africa :)
If you are really serious get that Aussie mag with the modified bikes...Moto or something (I think they changed the name....)
It has a guy called Jamie Bezzina who's turboed everything and a legend and they often have question/answers with him as well as an article he writes.
He wrote of a CBR250RR he did with 100hp :)
Give him a call, think he's in melbourne. Im sure he'd send a kit over

FROSTY
29th March 2006, 08:01
Ill have a word to the guy and post his contact details up here
To give you guys an idea --He built and tested the k5 gixxer thou turbo --those of you out on the track day before last AMCC round would have seen a famous Kiwi road racer out there on it.
He commented how smooth it was to ride.

DEATH_INC.
29th March 2006, 08:09
Na,it's as easy as it sounds, You need a turbo, a powercommander,a boost sensor, prolly an electric oil scavenge pump, and some fabbing skills.
Build some headers to position the turbo,fab up an intake box (to replace the airbox) run some pipes ( don't need an intercooler) find an oil pressure line and connect it to the turbo, put the scavenge under the engine to return the oil from the turbo to the engine (it must go into the engine above the oil level) and lastly hook the powercommander to the boost sensor instead of the throttle sensor (the boost sensor will need a similar range to the throttle sensor) then map it to remap the mixtures under boost. Easy. I'd personally reccomend water injection to help keep detonation under control, which can also be made up very easily.I'd also reccomend a bov too.

bugjuice
29th March 2006, 08:48
http://turbobikeresearch.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=167

Lazy7
29th March 2006, 09:30
i wouldn't do it on a carbed bike. too much of a pain in the ass to get the carbs flowing right under pressure.

on an injected bike it would be easy.

as said before, run a bigger turbo running low boost to keep the temps down and a powercommander (if it has enough depth in terms of bending signals) and you should be away.

avrflr
29th March 2006, 12:01
So you take a bike that handles beautifully like a GSXR600k3 and wreck the throttle response with a turbo? Well, if you have to, the critical thing is picking the right size turbo. It already has a peaky motor so if you pick a turbo that won't spool till 10,000 rpm you will get heaps of top end power. However you will have created a gsxr that you won't ever want to go around a corner on because it will try to highside you into next week. If you pick a smaller turbo, you won't get much of an increase in peak HP but it will give you heaps more midrange with minimal lag, might actually be good.
Space issues aside, plumbing it all together isn't rocket surgery but tuning it without blowing it up might be. Definitely get a turbo guru to do the fuel and ignition mapping. Ooh, ignition mapping. Power commanders only do fuel, don't they? So you will also need some extra electrickery to retard the timing, or maybe a box that does fuel and spark ($$$).
Personally I would only turbo a straight line machine, but if you do it it'll still be cool.

Wenier
29th March 2006, 15:06
http://turbobikeresearch.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=167

Your a legend mate, definitely in my opinion the best site to look at for turboing.

Pixie
31st March 2006, 23:01
from what I've discovered so far, if you've got a light pressure turbo, like a Garrett T20, you don't need things like an additional intercooler.

Get a custom header down to a second hand decent turbo, find an oil line to tap into and back, make an airtight custom airbox, few more tweaks, set the carbs to adapt, and you're not far off your own turbo bike..

Find out the lag makes the bike a piece of shit.Cry over the wasted $15,000.Sell the bike.buy a 1000.

White trash
31st March 2006, 23:09
Find out the lag makes the bike a piece of shit.Cry over the wasted $15,000.Sell the bike.buy a 1000.

Why would you buy a thou' when that particular bike wasted all the litre machines on its very first visit to Puke'?

Do it Wenier. Then let me have a go, you know, for old times sake...

Wellyman
31st March 2006, 23:16
This sounds intresting. for sure have a go and see. would like to hear about this
WM

Pixie
31st March 2006, 23:21
Why would you buy a thou' when that particular bike wasted all the litre machines on its very first visit to Puke'?

Do it Wenier. Then let me have a go, you know, for old times sake...
Turbos are so suitable for bikes,that's why every manufacturer is building thousands of them.
Only problem is it makes them invisible for some reason

Aiolos
1st April 2006, 10:53
Turbos are so suitable for bikes,that's why every manufacturer is building thousands of them.
Only problem is it makes them invisible for some reason

Manufacturers don't put Yoshimura RS-3's on their bikes either, does this mean they aren't suitable for bikes?

Two Smoker
1st April 2006, 18:49
Just had a talk to a guy at Pukekohe who has a turboed GSX-R1000 K4... He did all the fabrication himself. Using a GT25 turbo, external wastegate, K&N airfilter, EBC, etc...

220 RWHP but it was the fact that it was such useable power... Andrew Stroud and Brian Bernard have both commented on how smooth and useable the power is when they rode it at Puke...

how bout this.... wheelies in 4th gear, 200kmh+, OFF THE THROTTLE!!!

bugjuice
2nd April 2006, 10:22
the engine will still work as it did before, with or without the turbo. The turbo is complimentary power, so to speak.
And hey, if it doesn't work, just unbolt it.. whatcha lost?

ducatilover
2nd April 2006, 11:00
i think its a brillie=ant idea.

as for highsideing, you wont be that hard on the throttle out of a corner unless you forget you have a friggin turbo spooling up between your legs.

its a great idea and if i had a couple of billion dollars id turbo my bros [so it has more than 56rwhp pfft]

then id turbo my mums hairdryer but thats another story:weird:

Pixie
2nd April 2006, 11:21
the engine will still work as it did before, with or without the turbo. The turbo is complimentary power, so to speak.
And hey, if it doesn't work, just unbolt it.. whatcha lost?
You've gained lag and unpredictable power.
When F1 used turbos they burnt fuel in the exhaust to keep the turbo spinning on over run.
Off boost, the turbo restricts the the power of the motor because it is an exhaust restriction.
The smaller the capacity of the motor the worse it will be.
Supercharging is a different story.