PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Suppliers

Marknz
21st April 2004, 03:07
Folks,

After plenty of deliberation and test riding, I've decided that I will indeed buy myself a replacement bike here in NZ for the VTR1000 that I left behind in Canberra. As for what it is... all will be revealed soon!

However I'm curious to know if we have the same issues with fuel suppliers in NZ as I had back in Australia. You may have heard that there were a number of issues with ethanol being mixed into the fuel over there and subsequent problems with motorcycle engines. It even got to the extent where Yamaha Australia came out and said that all warrenties were null and void if you had an ethanol mix in the tank!

So are there any dodgy suppliers/servo's in the greater Wellington area, and are there any servo's in particular I should stay away from for any other reason?

DEATH_INC.
21st April 2004, 06:31
No,at this point we don't have that problem.All our fuel is pretty good compared to a lot of the world.

wkid_one
21st April 2004, 07:49
Yeah - if you read most bikes manuals gasohol is allowed a 10% mix - anything beyond that and you are in trouble running your bike on it. We don't have gasahol here - and in actual fact - some servos sell race gas now....esp Mobils.

Jackrat
21st April 2004, 08:29
I hear Gull has the cleanest fuel in NZ but I get most of my gas at the local shell because the girl there has nice errrrr.Shallow bugger ain't I?? :rolleyes:

F5 Dave
21st April 2004, 10:52
Ethanol is coming. Sorry. Makes me think against ever owning a 2 stroke road bike again, affects them worse. Pity.
:ar15: Govt & Oil companies

James Deuce
21st April 2004, 10:55
Ethanol is coming. Sorry. Makes me think against ever owning a 2 stroke road bike again, affects them worse. Pity.
:ar15: Govt & Oil companies

There's been a lot of studies done that prove even 10% ethanol will shag fuels lines and filters if they weren't designed to handle it.

If it arrives and we start having issues we should start claiming insurance (just to be annoying - I know you won't get anything) for damage, and we should think about designing the form letter now to send to the Oil companies and Pollies.

jrandom
21st April 2004, 11:01
I hear Gull has the cleanest fuel in NZ

I've heard the same. Gull 96 or Mobil/BP 98 are what I'd run any hard-tuned road engine on these days.

Hitcher
21st April 2004, 12:07
When I drive a car, I'm a very loyal Shell purchaser (Fly Buys). Because I never put more than $20 of gas in my bike at any one time, I'm more a more promiscuous petroleum procurer when on two wheels. So far I have determined no discernable difference between any supplier's 91 octane in terms of how it rocks the Zrex's world...