PDA

View Full Version : Rim Tape

Fishy
30th March 2006, 09:25
A few of you may have heard me mention this product rim tape before, and I got round to fitting it to my rims on the weekend but due to shit weather I have only been able to take a couple of pics of the bike yesterday.

Here is the store where I bought it from and it cost me about $22NZ delivered and took about 7 days to arrive.

http://stores.ebay.com/Decal-Design

Some stores offer it in 2 different sizes 6mm thick or 11mm thick. The store I bought it from offers one size which is around about 8mm I think.

Here are a couple of before and after shots...:2guns:

DemonWolf
30th March 2006, 09:29
Easy to clean? and what cleaning product would you use with 'em on ya rims?

Fishy
30th March 2006, 09:33
They reckon to just clean as normal with your regular cleaning products but just be careful around the edges when wiping where the tape overlaps itself at the joins.

vifferman
30th March 2006, 09:34
Is that the reflective stuff?
A guy on the VFRd forum has some reflective stuff on his bike, and it looks really good at night, and OK in the day.

Fishy
30th March 2006, 09:39
Nah I didn't want reflective stuff, thats the last thing I want if running from the cops at night...:Police: they will see you a mile off and you won't be able to say "It wasn't me officer honestly - all bikes have relective rims" :niceone:

beyond
30th March 2006, 09:42
Hey, looks pretty good mate. Is it silver?

Like the avatar :)

Fishy
30th March 2006, 09:45
Yeah its silver Paul.

Yeah I like the avatar... "Save a whale - harpoon a fat chick" hahaha

Blackbird
30th March 2006, 09:50
Excuse my ignorance (only to be expected from someone south of the Bombays I hear you say:eek5: ), but what is the function of this tape? Pure "bling" or is there something I've missed?

Cheers

Geoff

Fishy
30th March 2006, 09:57
Excuse my ignorance (only to be expected from someone south of the Bombays I hear you say:eek5: ), but what is the function of this tape? Pure "bling" or is there something I've missed?

Cheers

Geoff

Hey hang on I'm south of the Bombays.....

Its purely for the look Geoff. I thought the wheels where a bit plain before being all black and an all black bike and was thinking of polishing them but then I looked at this cheaper alternative, ordered some and am quite happy with it.

DemonWolf
30th March 2006, 10:00
You can also get reflective.. which would add more visibility. So it could be for both.. bling factor and safety\visibility of bike and rider =)

bugjuice
30th March 2006, 10:07
lookin good.. did you get any issues with putting it round the wheel weights?

Fishy
30th March 2006, 10:08
Yep the reflective stuff would be good for safety reasons...

Blackbird
30th March 2006, 10:09
Hey hang on I'm south of the Bombays.....

Only just:shifty:

Thanks for that. I'd agree with you that there's a trade off between safety with the reflective option and attracting unwelcome attention:Punk:

Fishy
30th March 2006, 10:10
lookin good.. did you get any issues with putting it round the wheel weights?

Nah its nowhere near the weights. Its only applied to the outside lip of the rim.

bugjuice
30th March 2006, 10:11
that's where mine are..
I take it yours are the stuck on ones then?

Fishy
30th March 2006, 10:12
I'd agree with you that there's a trade off between safety with the reflective option and attracting unwelcome attention:Punk:

Yep, dead right mate. Cops could tell your bike a mile off.

sAsLEX
30th March 2006, 10:17
that's where mine are..

then they are weird they should be placed near/at the centre of the wheel unless they have one on each side of the wheel I would of thought unless your vipers have some weird side to side unbalance, dodgy

Fishy
30th March 2006, 10:20
that's where mine are..

nah actually I don't have weights. Honda rims are so refined that they don't need weights.

*Cough snort fart* Oh sorry I must have been dreaming - the weights I have are the sort that get crimped over the centre of the rim.

scumdog
30th March 2006, 10:21
Put four sections of reflective on that are equal distance apart - gives the 'strobe' effect at night.

BRs have done it using two sections - but smaller wheels of course.

vifferman
30th March 2006, 10:21
then they are weird they should be placed near/at the centre of the wheel unless they have one on each side of the wheel I would of thought unless your vipers have some weird side to side unbalance, dodgy
Depends on how the thing was balanced. When I last had a tyre fitted at Cycletreads, their machine balanced the wheel laterally, and they fitted two small stick-on weights at different places around the circumference of the rim, rather than one big blob near the spokes.

scumdog
30th March 2006, 10:24
Yep, dead right mate. Cops could tell your bike a mile off.

Only if they're not behind you I guess???:slap:

sAsLEX
30th March 2006, 10:35
Depends on how the thing was balanced. When I last had a tyre fitted at Cycletreads, their machine balanced the wheel laterally, and they fitted two small stick-on weights at different places around the circumference of the rim, rather than one big blob near the spokes.

get mine fitted there as well, thought the ,main reason for balancing was due to the air input thing throwing the balance off, only ever had the in the centre, or nudged up against the center raised bump on the rim

bugjuice
30th March 2006, 10:37
mine have a weight on either side.. Kerry @ MotoHaus set them up. He always uses clip on weights, rarely the stick on ones for some reason.
If they can clip in the centre, that's even better, but my rims don't have the ability for that

scumdog
30th March 2006, 10:40
nah actually I don't have weights. Honda rims are so refined that they don't need weights.

*Cough snort fart* Oh sorry I must have been dreaming - the weights I have are the sort that get crimped over the centre of the rim.

Don't need 'em on a Harley - after all what's one more vibe??:rofl:

Makes the rims easier to polish when there's no weights in the way!!:cool:

sAsLEX
30th March 2006, 10:44
mine have a weight on either side.. Kerry @ MotoHaus set them up. He always uses clip on weights, rarely the stick on ones for some reason.
If they can clip in the centre, that's even better, but my rims don't have the ability for that

one either side makes sense then, stick on ones can pull away the paint so not the best really, the rims with the raised middle bit like fishys seem like the best option, good old honda with its good engineering

bugjuice
30th March 2006, 10:47
well they ran out of engineering ideas on the engine, so they had to work on something else.. :lol:

Fishy
30th March 2006, 11:09
well they ran out of engineering ideas on the engine, so they had to work on something else.. :lol:
:Oi: smart ass.

Kerry put those stick on weights on my wheels the first time round but my bike didn't like them and spat them off the same day. Felt like I was riding a fucken jack hammer above 160kph. :slap:

WRT
30th March 2006, 11:13
I've been studying those four pics of yours, and can only come to one conclusion. You should'a brought a dirt bike buddy . . . not a sign of tarseal in any of them!

Fishy
30th March 2006, 11:18
I've been studying those four pics of yours, and can only come to one conclusion. You should'a brought a dirt bike buddy . . . not a sign of tarseal in any of them!

Yeah man tell me about it.

The blade handles like a fucken fat chick on a mini moto riding it around the farm.

Toast
30th March 2006, 22:42
Hey Fishy, looks class, waaaaay better than polished rims. Still got bling, but much, much more subtle.

danb
31st March 2006, 01:38
Suggestion / Idea: Need to have it so not all the rim has the tape on it. Say 1/2 the tape but it divided into quarters so it has the spinning effect - good on slow / city riding for saftey - dont know about the bling factor though. Hope you get what I mean.

Fishy
31st March 2006, 09:47
Yeah I get what you mean, but it would look stupid when the bike is stationary.

Don't care about the "safety" aspect that some might want to acheive with doing it that way. Just one more way the cops could id your bike if they chase you then see you later somewhere.

scumdog
31st March 2006, 10:25
Yeah I get what you mean, but it would look stupid when the bike is stationary.

Don't care about the "safety" aspect that some might want to acheive with doing it that way. Just one more way the cops could id your bike if they chase you then see you later somewhere.

I know what you mean - if I had those strips on my bike I wouldn't be able to get away from myself.:doh:

Paranioa is creeping in here m'thinks.

HDTboy
31st March 2006, 12:49
I can't believe nobody's asked if rim tape is for repairing stretched rims.

Fishy
31st March 2006, 13:26
Yeah maybe they could be made under the Band Aid brand... for kurbed rims.

Kwaka-Kid
6th April 2006, 23:13
i have some yellow, green and pink fluro rim tape kicking around to any rider that is in auckland, proper progrip stuff... not really a big thing over here, doesnt look good after a quick trial on the NC30, i reckon it could look good if it was black on white, or white on black... anyways, lemmie know :s

sAsLEX
6th April 2006, 23:48
i have some yellow, green and pink fluro rim tape kicking around to any rider that is in auckland, proper progrip stuff... not really a big thing over here, doesnt look good after a quick trial on the NC30, i reckon it could look good if it was black on white, or white on black... anyways, lemmie know :s

hell my bike is looking pretty ratty whats another colour to the mix

oh and can I get another front brake microswitch off you some time mine has broken again! stupid rocks

Velox
7th April 2006, 00:26
Nice!!!
It's cool to see it in silver too cause my bike looks real similar but has red tape.

Kwaka-Kid
7th April 2006, 06:46
hell my bike is looking pretty ratty whats another colour to the mix

oh and can I get another front brake microswitch off you some time mine has broken again! stupid rocks

eh? no worries dude buy surely you must be bashing it or something? id never heard of rocks jumping up to bite them till your story, and now again? sheesh! :S

call me or ill call you or something tomorrow dude.