PDA

View Full Version : Best tyre for Guzzi

fast135
30th March 2006, 13:53
Whats the best tire in 120/90/18.
It will be for my 1000s.
sometimes used as my daily rider, but more for scratching around on weekend rides.

what cho reckon?

Cheers,
Jono.

The_Dover
30th March 2006, 13:57
You could always try here (http://www.blairs.co.nz/agtyres/tractor-tyres.html)

fast135
30th March 2006, 14:21
thats some funny shit

jono

Bonez
30th March 2006, 17:22
It will be for my 1000s.
sometimes used as my daily rider, but more for scratching around on weekend rides.

what cho reckon?

Cheers,
Jono.
I take it's for the rear. Metzeler ME55 series. Been using ME55s since 1991ish done over 200,000kms with them and no tyre related issues to date. There's the matching ME33. Been using them on all my bikes front wheels. The Lasertechs are the same pattern but better compound-

http://store.azmusa.com/lasertec.html

Paul in NZ
30th March 2006, 17:29
You could always try here (http://www.blairs.co.nz/agtyres/tractor-tyres.html)

Actually your bikes seem to end up in paddocks a fair bit, you might want to consider that as an option....

The_Dover
30th March 2006, 17:32
Like the man caught shagging a sheep, you do it once and it becomes an urban myth.

Not that I've ever shagged a sheep.

Paul in NZ
30th March 2006, 17:37
It will be for my 1000s.

what cho reckon?

Cheers,
Jono.

I've been running ME33 front and ME99a rears for some time. The 99 sticks like anything but wears out in 5,000km. The 99 has been replaced with a ME990 which I've just fitted to the Triumph, looks a bit more modern and kinda like a BT45. The ME33 is being replaced by a ME330 which is a shame. BTW The ME33 must be the most widely used front tyre ever. Works with anything else! HD's, Triumphs etc all have em new.

BT45 is OK but offers bugger all advantage life wise which amazed me as it is supposed to be a dual compound tyre for touring etc etc. Aussies get 10K plus, I get 5.. Hmmm!

Tried Avons, they work on the Triumph, hated them on the Guzzi.

Tried Pirrellis ages ago and hated them BUT Pete at Moto Kiwi just fitted the new MT66 Route and is raving about them!

http://www.pirellimoto.com/en_96/tires/template_categorie.jhtml?selected=desc&catid=96STCUS&productid=16893&nome=MT66_ROUTE

Hope that helps.

Paul N

Paul in NZ
30th March 2006, 17:39
Like the man caught shagging a sheep, you do it once and it becomes an urban myth.

Not that I've ever shagged a sheep.

Probably never ridden a Moto Guzzi either! Might make sheep shagging sound attractive I suppose?? :msn-wink:

Big Dave
30th March 2006, 17:40
I was going to say 'Tyre on the end of a rope and use it as an anchor', but some of you wouldn't get the joke.:devil2:

Bonez
30th March 2006, 17:42
I was going to say 'Tyre on the end of a rope and use it as an anchor', but some of you wouldn't get the joke.:devil2:What? Not soap on a rope?

Paul in NZ
30th March 2006, 19:43
I was going to say 'Tyre on the end of a rope and use it as an anchor', but some of you wouldn't get the joke.:devil2:

Meh!

Any time you wanna come to a Guzzi rally, your welcome. If you think Triumph or HD are brand loyal.. Ha! You ain't seen nuttin'

If you want to road test my Mk2 I'm cool with that too.

doc
30th March 2006, 19:53
Next Guzzi rally just wait until the sun goes down and wait until it is quiet, then you should be able to sense the aroma of a silage pit in the local area, chase the sheep away , if you really want to ,and then you should find heaps of tyres holding the cover down on the pit. Bound to be an improvement. Probablythe best you could buy in town would be Skellerup or Para rubber if you could afford it wouldn't let you down ....

fast135
30th March 2006, 20:35
I take it's for the rear. Metzeler ME55 series. Been using ME55s since 1991ish done over 200,000kms with them and no tyre related issues to date. There's the matching ME33. Been using them on all my bikes front wheels. The Lasertechs are the same pattern but better compound-

Yeah, its for the back.
cheers, for the link. i will go for the better compond.

jono

fast135
30th March 2006, 20:40
I've been running ME33 front and ME99a rears for some time. The 99 sticks like anything but wears out in 5,000km. The 99 has been replaced with a ME990 which I've just fitted to the Triumph, looks a bit more modern and kinda like a BT45. The ME33 is being replaced by a ME330 which is a shame. BTW The ME33 must be the most widely used front tyre ever. Works with anything else! HD's, Triumphs etc all have em new.

BT45 is OK but offers bugger all advantage life wise which amazed me as it is supposed to be a dual compound tyre for touring etc etc. Aussies get 10K plus, I get 5.. Hmmm!

Tried Avons, they work on the Triumph, hated them on the Guzzi.

Tried Pirrellis ages ago and hated them BUT Pete at Moto Kiwi just fitted the new MT66 Route and is raving about them!

http://www.pirellimoto.com/en_96/tir...ome=MT66_ROUTE

Hope that helps.

Paul N

Cheers for the info,
jono

Paul in NZ
30th March 2006, 21:45
No worries mate.

Maybe see you at the rally in October eh? Better book a bed as the place is filling up fast!

Cheers

Bonez
31st March 2006, 16:19
Yeah, its for the back.
cheers, for the link. i will go for the better compond.

jonoYou're welcome.

Dodgyiti
1st April 2006, 08:01
The Pirelli is good, damn 18 inchers really limit the rubber you can buy. If I had a spoked 1000s, I would be lacing up some 17" rims to it quick smart:chase:

dangerous
1st April 2006, 08:49
Meh!

Any time you wanna come to a Guzzi rally, your welcome. If you think Triumph or HD are brand loyal.. Ha! You ain't seen nuttin'

If you want to road test my Mk2 I'm cool with that too.
Yeah Dave... come down and take the last LeMans to be built for a spin after the 1st LM to arive on earth... and post that in ya fancy mag.

BTW I reconmend you do a test on the Griso :scooter:

And this from a Brit/yank owner... ya know what BD, reckon you could tyre the Guz on a rope and drag it around behind a rusty Koren trawler for a year... bring er up to the serfice and even with a full tank a salt water and jelly fish in the sump... 'she' would still fire up and that sweet tune them tappits make would play once again... reckon ya brit would handle it :done:

Actually your bikes seem to end up in paddocks a fair bit, you might want to consider that as an option....
:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :spudflip:

I'm not up with the older Guzzi sizes etc but I have always run the MeZ's that have been recomended, so perhaps look at that.

Troll
22nd June 2006, 18:13
avoid perrellis

had them on my guzzi and never had so many punctures in all my life

perelli make good calenders though