PDA

View Full Version : Grandad shows how not to do it!

oldrider
30th March 2006, 17:57
Mrs Oldrider and I went to visit our son and his family for the week end.
The little guy wanted to go for a ride to show Gandad how he does it.
Pics are:
1) Getting ready to ride.
2) Dad and Morgan on the trail.
3) Going well so far.

Shazam! Grandad had an off!! :weird: Bent my bike and my leg! :spudbn:

No pics of the off but the wee guy said thats a bit dumb grandad, and roared off while we picked up and fixed my bike. Limping badly now, :( John.

crashe
30th March 2006, 18:44
So were you showing off in front of the little fella aye...:whistle:
and he showed you how its really done... :whistle:

They learn young, out there on the farm, on how to ride a bike.

Hope you are not too badly hurt.
How is the bike thou.

Wellyman
30th March 2006, 19:52
hahah. very good mate.Don't try to show off in front of family it usually ends up in disaster, has happened to me.
WM

Storm
30th March 2006, 20:50
Bugger! At least you're still up and around. Best wishes for a quick recovery mate

oldrider
31st March 2006, 11:58
So were you showing off in front of the little fella aye...:whistle:
and he showed you how its really done... :whistle:

They learn young, out there on the farm, on how to ride a bike.

Hope you are not too badly hurt.
How is the bike thou.

The off was caused by a combination of, need for maintenance and poor tyre choice for conditions and poor riding skill at the time.

We had just ridden around the Catlins and Riverton and back up to Athol, via as many back roads as we could find.

The throttle was getting heavy and sticking a bit due to a lot of rain early in the ride. (was going to fix it when we got home) Thought it would last OK.

I was riding behind the boys thinking of where I could get some pics of them riding their bikes, together.

The grass was extremely wet and slippery and we were going to go off the flats into some rutty areas so I thought I would test the tyres for grip etc.

I just rapt her open to test the tyre break out and the bloody throttle jammed open and the little test quickly became an "incident"!

That's first off since 1993 and it took sooo long before I hit the deck and I just knew it was going to hurt!

It did and still is and I did it myself "on the bloody flat paddock".

We managed to straighten things out and tape the side box on that side with duct tape before riding it back home over the Crown Range and via Wanaka.

Apart from the little self inflicted incident off road, it was a fantastic ride through some great country.

The weather started to deteriorate a bit heading into Dunedin through Balclutha and the Catlins (freezing cold wind) but improved from Invercargill to Riverton (lovely little place).

From Riverton to Athol the cold wind was behind us and got warmer all the way.

We are fortunate to live in such fantastic motorcycle country with such good practically empty roads.

Some pics of Riverton attached.

Thanks for your kind thoughts about the "off" but ain't that just about bikes. Cheers John.