PDA

View Full Version : Favourite helmet?

Zed
21st April 2004, 19:32
Guys & gurls,

As motorcyclists we all squeeze our heads inside the ball! :raghead: I just purchased a brand new helmet, it was one of those spur of the moment buys - just too good to miss. I was at this guys house thru TradeMe (Motoracers mate) on Tuesday looking at some Tecnic leathers which were advertised. I asked him if he had any other bike stuff for sale and he pulled out this helmet which he said was the only one he had available, so I tried it on. Well you couldn't ask for better- the fit was excellent, the colour scheme suits my new bike down to a T, and the price was only 200 buckeroos!! Pics attached.

Now I have 4 helmets :wacko: 2 x HJC's, a Nolan, and this beasty thang.

What do you wear on your head? Please post any available pics for everyones viewing pleasure.

Zed

wkid_one
21st April 2004, 19:51
Shoei helmets fit my head well. I can't wear Arais (and at their price - thank god).
Still have my HJC (Shoei rip off) - heaps heavier tho.

Prefer standard black helmet. I rode with the Shoei Z-One - which at 1200gm is one of the lightest helmets on the market - and with an easy visor change (good for having clear and tinted - but who am I kidding - I never rode my bike at night). Removeable inner for cleaning (again - like I ever took it out to clean - only twice to install the speaker for the detector).

Prefer D-Lock helmets as I feel I get a snugger fit than with the E-Z Clip helmets. Don't like Flip-Top helmets - but that is just me.

http://www.shoei-europe.com/img/pdb/helmets/Z_ONE_black_M.jpg (http://www.shoei-europe.com/en/products.php?name=Z-One&mod_id=31#)
Sizes available: from XXS to XXL (http://www.shoei-europe.com/en/products.php?name=Z-One&mod_id=31#) • AIM shell (Advanced Integrated Matrix) • Modular EPS-liner system with two densities • Anti-allergenic 3D-interior, washable • Removable cheek pads, optionally available in different thicknesses • Multiple venting and extraction system • Mist retardant CX-1 Visor (Pinlock), quick and easy change • Dual resistance visor seal •

Jackrat
21st April 2004, 19:56
Main hat Davida open face jet,mat black,The best open face money can buy,removable Leather liner,replaceable cheek peices,super comfortable,Quite as.Got a full face as well but it only see's service during winter,HJC,high gloss black,very comfortable but I don't like the confined feeling.
Dirt helmet's a fairly new THH,red white an blue,full face of course,don't like eating others rocks.Don't have no pic's.Nothing flash anyway.

Zed
21st April 2004, 20:11
I rode with the Shoei Z-One - which at 1200gm is one of the lightest helmets on the market
Yes, this new helmet is a feather in comparison to my HJC- it's amazing how much better the overall riding experience is with a lighter helmet!

Looking forward to seeing how it handles high speeds on the track this Friday. :yes:

Zed

750Y
21st April 2004, 20:16
I'm with Wkid on the fit thing. the shoei fits my head best. my last 2 helmets have been the exceed model. tested, i'll stick with shoei for good.

Grumpy
21st April 2004, 20:25
Had an accident a few years ago and as a result I trashed my helmet. It was a AGV which I thought was the business.

Since the insurance company were so willing to help with the renewal of the helmet I thought that I'd look at an Arai, since normally I wouldn't be able to afford one myself.

I got a RX7 and it is easily the best helmet I have ever worn. I can wear it all day if I'm travelling down country and it's great. Only complaint would be the visors are usually a shit fit.

Just wish wish they weren't so bloody expensive. :(
Already started saving for the next one.

MD
21st April 2004, 20:26
Forget about the helmet - accessorise ! This is the coolest lid I've had. Got it from Wellington M/cycles and it came with its own hair. Handy since I've bugger all left myself. The Nitro is a good lid with removable linings and pads, low wind noise, comfortable and changing visors takes a few seconds with a quick release lever -no screws or tools required.[IMG]

Marknz
21st April 2004, 20:29
Hope these images don't take too long to upload or I'll be really embarassed :innocent: Might have to come back and delete the images

A Mat Mladin replica AGV X-Vent II with full tint visor is my lid of choice. Have used Shoei but found it to be too noisy, even taking into account the tear off posts on the AGV.

Use a lighter HJC lid when racing with the theory that I shouldn't be hitting anything too hard or anything coming from the opposite direction. But that's just me.

Antallica
21st April 2004, 20:32
Standard FFM Rapier with Mirror Tint Visor.
Cheap and effective :)

Can be rather noisy at times though.

Zed
21st April 2004, 20:48
Forget about the helmet - accessorise ! This is the coolest lid I've had. Got it from Wellington M/cycles and it came with its own hair. Handy since I've bugger all left myself. The Nitro is a good lid with removable linings and pads, low wind noise, comfortable and changing visors takes a few seconds with a quick release lever -no screws or tools required.[IMG]
You realise that the cops see you coming a mile away through the traffic with that haircut!! :laugh:

Lord Pac
21st April 2004, 20:57
arai signet was the first good lid- was given to me by a good mate who was/is- i think- with the kenny roberts jnr team. then passed it along to the madam, bought myself a agv demon top- good colours lousy fit- sold that and reclaimed my arai
'prenup- whats mine is mine whats your is mine'

looking to get another tho- ill stick with the arai! :niceone:

Motoracer
21st April 2004, 21:51
Dunno how light it is or how it fits my head or how noisy it is but I sure as hell like it. :Punk:

MD
21st April 2004, 22:05
You realise that the cops see you coming a mile away through the traffic with that haircut!! :laugh:
Too true Zed, that did occur to me. But then again the more visible to cars we are the safer we are and you sure get noticed with the mohawk. Seriously, though I think it is safer to be seen and Mums and Kids in cars get a kick out it. Always a cheerful reaction. Sort of PR function to improve our image. When Who framed Roger Rabbit came out there was a fad of riders (in Welly anyway) attaching soft toy RRs to their helmets. They were so amusing. Why did they all of sudden disappear?
You can get dreadlock and pony tail versions of the mohawks.
Your new lid looks great, cool paint job. The swooped back/spoiler shape to the top rear of helmets seems to be the fashion

tz tony
21st April 2004, 22:17
As a mate said to me once, "Fifty dollar head fifty dollar helmet, I prefer an AGV and I really like the Rossi replica, I have had 3 now and they fit way better than Arai or shoie with a lot less wind noise.

Zed
21st April 2004, 22:24
As a mate said to me once, "Fifty dollar head fifty dollar helmet
Yeah, I've never been one to spend big bucks on helmets! Most of my dosh goes on the actual machine.

If whatever helmet I'm wearing takes the impact of a fall & saves my head from injury then it's fulfilled it's main purpose- can't say I've ever needed to use a helmet in that way :msn-wink:

Zed

Motu
21st April 2004, 22:30
I have a $10 head - I'll take a dozen please,don't bother to wrap them.

I really like to have a peak,great when the sun gets low.My Nolan N70 suits me just fine - but I 'd like a MX helmet as a spare...a removeable liner would be nice,I'd like to be able to clean my helmet with the water blaster.

Those Davida's are a beautiful helmet Jack,I'd love one just to look at it.Maybe I'll get one if they bring out a Phill Read model.

FROSTY
21st April 2004, 23:26
I used to love the arai helmets but they're just too darn expensive.
nowadays I mostly use shoei's
current lid is a HJC .
Bugger it I just loooked in the gear closet- My 4 year old son baby bikie has better bike gear that me -A new shoei helmet (size50) new gloves and a new leather jacket --sheesh

Lou Girardin
22nd April 2004, 02:59
I went to Dolds last week, they're Arai dealers and they showed us some cut away helmets. I hate to say it, but having seen inside an AGV I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. The Shoei was almost as good as the Arai, but major dollars less.
It's still amazing that people will spend a couple of grand on leathers and skimp on a helmet. After all, you can cope without a limb, but not without a brain.
The funniest are guys that want a cheap helmet because their bike's not worth much.

sparrow_34
22nd April 2004, 05:37
I just bought an Arai RX7 Corsair. Landed in NZ $820. I think I got lucky and didn't get stung with duty, just the normal gst. I was expecting to pay 17% duty, so I was stoked. Here is the link to the ladies Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/DM-Shopper-Service_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm , very good to deal with and the helmet was new in the box, she even checks them visually before shipping to check for blemishes etc. The exchange rate has come down a bit since I bought,but still a cheaper option than NZ prices.

Joni
22nd April 2004, 10:38
Guys & gurls,

As motorcyclists we all squeeze our heads inside the ball! :raghead: I just purchased a brand new helmet, it was one of those spur of the moment buys - just too good to miss. I was at this guys house thru TradeMe (Motoracers mate) on Tuesday looking at some Tecnic leathers which were advertised. I asked him if he had any other bike stuff for sale and he pulled out this helmet which he said was the only one he had available, so I tried it on. Well you couldn't ask for better- the fit was excellent, the colour scheme suits my new bike down to a T, and the price was only 200 buckeroos!! Pics attached.

Now I have 4 helmets :wacko: 2 x HJC's, a Nolan, and this beasty thang.

What do you wear on your head? Please post any available pics for everyones viewing pleasure.

Zed

AGV all the way....

Devil
22nd April 2004, 11:08
Am on first bike and helmet. Got an HJC CL-14, black. Seems to be a good shape for my head. Easy to get visor on and off, plenty of ventilation.
http://www.hjchelmets.com/images/product_images/cl14_solid/black.jpg

jrandom
22nd April 2004, 11:31
I hate to say it, but having seen inside an AGV I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Yup. I've spoken to a guy who managed a Hein Gericke shop in the UK, and he had some *real* horror stories to tell about AGV design and build quality.

Of course, they're Italian and expensive and some people find them comfortable, so they MUST be good, right? Wrong. I'd rather trust my skull to an HJC at a fifth of the price than an AGV.

As it stands I'm wearing a Shoei Raid, which is pretty nice for a $600 helmet. I can wear it all day without any discomfort and the visors swap in 10 seconds flat, which is handy because I ride in sunlight as well as after dark on most winter work days.

tz tony
22nd April 2004, 12:20
Hey Lou was that helmet a Rossi replica? If so it was my old one that got damaged when we crashed the side car at Paeroa this year, and of cousre not selling AGV helmets they would have to say that woudnt they?.

Coldkiwi
22nd April 2004, 12:32
I'm using KBC which is anotehr irp off brand but pretty decent quality apart at a good price. I just saw the funkiest helmet ever on Tuesday... the UVEX one at Mt Eden... makes Darth Vader look like a wimp!

I'll try and find some photos but DAMN- what a cool helmet!

Coldkiwi
22nd April 2004, 12:49
I'm using KBC which is anotehr irp off brand but pretty decent quality apart at a good price. I just saw the funkiest helmet ever on Tuesday... the UVEX one at Mt Eden... makes Darth Vader look like a wimp!

I'll try and find some photos but DAMN- what a cool helmet!

here we go.. its the Species 21... looks even better with the iridium visor! $799 for you at the moment sir..
The photo doesn't really show how tall it is (or how light.. 1200gms!) but its definitely wicked

750Y
22nd April 2004, 13:21
My 4 year old son baby bikie has better bike gear that me -A new shoei helmet (size50)

holy bighead batman, your 4 yr old has a size 50????(i hope that's not a 50cm cos i wear a 55-56cm). dam shows how small my brain must be eh lol.

Cajun
22nd April 2004, 13:38
ya don't need one of those 750y all ya need is a big hand for the gas and big nuts to keep it nailed all way there
hehehe

Hitcher
22nd April 2004, 13:38
Oh to be so fortunate as to have a choice of manufacturers, styles and colours...

750Y
22nd April 2004, 13:48
ya don't need one of those 750y all ya need is a big hand for the gas and big nuts to keep it nailed all way there
hehehe

lol, dunno about big nuts, but does big guts count? the only thing i'm nailing lately is the wire on the chicken coup, after the dam steers have charged through it once again. i swear the ring leaders going in the freezer one of these days...

matthewt
22nd April 2004, 13:50
Shoei helmets fit my noggin the best. I had an AGV for a while but went back with Shoei again.

I "stress" tested a shoei while in the South Island last year and can say I was very happy that I paid the extra $'s for a good lid.

Cajun
22nd April 2004, 13:51
we had them smash thru out fence the other day and end up on the road. damn horse saw a mere and thought he race around to see if he could get some action, scared the crap out of the cows, who destoryed a metal fence gate

already got one that use to get ya last year in the frezzer, mmmm fresh home kill steak

Zed
22nd April 2004, 15:00
here we go.. its the Species 21... looks even better with the iridium visor! $799 for you at the moment sir..
The photo doesn't really show how tall it is (or how light.. 1200gms!) but its definitely wicked
Yeah if you wanna look like an astronaut! "Beam me up CK" :msn-wink:

Marknz
22nd April 2004, 20:03
Hope these images don't take too long to upload or I'll be really embarassed :innocent: Might have to come back and delete the images

A Mat Mladin replica AGV X-Vent II with full tint visor is my lid of choice. Have used Shoei but found it to be too noisy, even taking into account the tear off posts on the AGV.

Use a lighter HJC lid when racing with the theory that I shouldn't be hitting anything too hard or anything coming from the opposite direction. But that's just me.

Here we go again...

Slim
22nd April 2004, 23:25
I'm a Shoei girl all the way.

Current helmet is an XR1000 Diabolic. I've now got 2 spare Shoei's in the garage. :)

Lou Girardin
23rd April 2004, 06:52
Hey Lou was that helmet a Rossi replica? If so it was my old one that got damaged when we crashed the side car at Paeroa this year, and of cousre not selling AGV helmets they would have to say that woudnt they?.

No, it wasn't damaged that I could see. I was referring to the eggshell thin shell, the rock hard foam inner that offered almost no impact protection. It seems that there are various ways of meeting helmet standards, not all of them are good for your brain.
Lou

XRNR
27th April 2004, 12:58
Hmmmm...
Just bought and impact tested an AGV. Had 19yrs service with my old Romer Polycarbonate helmet, but the lining had deteriorated too much to be very comfortable now. The new AGV X-vent was comfortable & I did aprox 15hrs riding with it the first two days I had it. It was the first helmet that I have been able to ride with straight out of the box for more than a couple of hours. I have an AXO for the dirt as well, but I had to reshape some of the foam interior to get a really good fit.
Good fit is probably my strongest decision making factor. Price, I will look at helmets fitting within the 1/3 thru to 3/4 price range. (I wont pay $1500 for a helmet or $200) expecting this range to give me good protection for my money.

... I prefer an AGV and I really like the Rossi replica, I have had 3 now and they fit way better than Arai or shoie with a lot less wind noise.

I went to Dolds last week, they're Arai dealers and they showed us some cut away helmets. I hate to say it, but having seen inside an AGV I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...After all, you can cope without a limb, but not without a brain....
I would like to see some helmet cutaways

Yup. I've spoken to a guy who managed a Hein Gericke shop in the UK, and he had some *real* horror stories to tell about AGV design and build quality.

Of course, they're Italian and expensive and some people find them comfortable, so they MUST be good, right? Wrong. I'd rather trust my skull to an HJC at a fifth of the price than an AGV...
Interesting comment,
(I got all the blurb about how good the AGV build quality was, & how great they fared when impact tested.) Not that, that was going to sway me when the fit was so good & it was a mid priced helmet.

No, it wasn't damaged that I could see. I was referring to the eggshell thin shell, the rock hard foam inner that offered almost no impact protection. It seems that there are various ways of meeting helmet standards, not all of them are good for your brain.
Lou
Suffice to say, Having just impact tested my helmet into a immovable steel wall at a speed of between 130-160km\h. It has done what was required of it. Absorbed the impact by cracking the outer shell. My brain on the other hand was not able to withstand the impact on the inside of my skull so well. Therefore it turned my lights out for several minutes & knocked over its in-tray of memories to be filled.

I wonder if having a softer foam interior or a harder outer shell would have allowed me to remain conscious the whole time.

I still feel that choosing a helmet is like frying eggs. Everyonce in a while you crack one into the pan to find it bloody, Most of the time you don't

I posted this helmet post Full Face Road Helmets (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1482) awhile back trying to get feed back on what to choose.

I am still as confused as ever as to what will really do the job. I guess I shouldn't be as I am still here able to think about what I am going to replace my AGV with. (I bet you didn't read all of this long post :sleep: ).

White trash
27th April 2004, 13:03
Here we go again...

Hey Mark! Some wanker's scribbled all over your flash replica!

Give me his address and we'll go sort the prick out :shifty:

Seems fitting that you finally ride a Suzuki with a Mladin rep.

DEATH_INC.
27th April 2004, 13:34
This is what I use.....

pete376403
27th April 2004, 13:40
BMW System III for on the road, a Bell Motostar III (yes it is really old) for trail riding.
There's also an even older Bell Star 120 and a FFM up on the shelf in the shed.
The BMW is ok, I like being able to open it up to get glasses on and off, etc.
Noise isn't really an issue with me (see the earplug thread)

DEATH_INC.
27th April 2004, 13:53
a Bell Motostar III
:eek5: :eek5: :eek: :gob:
What a classic...
Goes with the old IT I spose......

magnum
27th April 2004, 13:58
shoie man. :kick:

MikeL
27th April 2004, 14:02
I have yet to be convinced of the benefits of paying many hundreds of $$$ for a Shoei or Arai. I was very happy with my HJC: I rode Akl to Palmerston Nth in one day without any strain, headache or discomfort at all, and when I came off the GSX and cartwheeled into a ditch there was no concussion, bruising or anything despite deep gouges on one side of the helmet and a broken visor hinge. I'll buy another one.

Hitcher
27th April 2004, 15:03
I upgraded at the weekend to a Shoei XR1000. Colour -- black. Henry Ford choice, surprise surprise! Better ventilation and a bit lighter than the XR900. I suspect it's quieter too.

Mrs H also upgraded to an XR1000 -- a bit step from her Cirus. Nearly 300g lighter for a start, with considerably better aerodynamics. Nice silver graphics as well. *sigh*

vifferman
27th April 2004, 15:40
My head's only worth about $10 (defective brain chemistry and all that), so I can't justify spending mucho dineiro on an expensive helmet. I've had a couple of FFMs and a couple of AGVs. The current one is a Vento(?) in black, gold, and silver, which I bought to match my VFR. I should probably replace it now that I've got a red Firestorm, but I've spent so much money on the bike lately, I don't want to spend any more on gear.

I bought the AGV because (a) I liked the look of it, (b) I was allowed to test-ride it for a few hours, (c) I got $100 trade-in on my old (6? 7? years) AGV, (d) I was given a $45 discount, and (d) it's very comfy, quiet, light, pretty, etc. It was $345, but cost me $200. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

If I was smart, I would've had it replaced when I wrote off the VFR, as the insurance company said they'd pay for it, but I bet by the time they'd depreciated it, haggled over the price, etc., I wouldn't have had enough to buy a decent replacement.

My wife got an even better deal - a BMW System III for $0. Nothing wrong with it - it sat in a cupboard for several years, so only needed a buff up with Plexus. Perfect for occasional rides, even if it does make her look like a spaceman. Err, spacewoman. Errr... astronaut.

Coldkiwi
27th April 2004, 17:14
I've got a really interesting technical article on full face helmet accident impacts from a university in britian sitting on my desk that has some excellent info about helmet design. I'll post it when I get back to Auck.

the crux is that the new helmets (say BS6658 standard) are MUCH better than old ones because of the harsher testing done. the second observation made was that helmets are very much a safety design compromise to meet a wide range of potential impacts, all with different design requirements and considerations. So for instance, XRNR's helmet could've been designed to better absorb his crash at pukekohe but may have suffered a roll off problem if he'd crashed in a different way (i.e. glanced off a car's bonnet). Essentially, no helmet can protect in an ideal manner in all situations.

buoy
27th April 2004, 18:27
I quite like the look of these:

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/craft/rx8/RX8-black.jpg

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/craft/rxx2/rxx_carbon.jpg

Dude on Trademe selling them for about $500

claire
27th April 2004, 20:06
I use a Shark that I bought from Mt Eden Motorcycles when I bought my 600 from them. Would buy another one but would probably buy the next model up from mine and a size smaller next time.

Chris uses an Arai and wouldn't use anything else - except maybe an Aaron Slight replica Suomy!!!

Claire

Marknz
27th April 2004, 20:24
Hey Mark! Some wanker's scribbled all over your flash replica!

Give me his address and we'll go sort the prick out :shifty:

Seems fitting that you finally ride a Suzuki with a Mladin rep.

:) yea, bastards just grabbed it off me a scribed all over it!. But then at least Loris and Nicky came out to do it... Vale just pissed off to the hotel to sign his Yamaha contract and left us all waiting till 7pm... prick :baby: ! Feckin' good racer tho :scooter:

I'm with you, let's grab Jimbo and get tickets to the next MotoGP and track the bastards down! :banana:

Coldkiwi
28th April 2004, 09:24
Yeah if you wanna look like an astronaut! "Beam me up CK" :msn-wink:

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!
starboard bow!
starboard bow!
There's Klingons on the starboard bow!
starboard bow! JIM!
:spudguita

MikeL
28th April 2004, 09:46
I see FFM helmets advertised in KiwiRider magazine. Very good price, made in N.Z. Are they cheap and nasty? Anyone got one??

Kickaha
28th April 2004, 10:06

You're not Stu's passenger are you? I heard he stacked his outfit at that meeting.

I currently use a Lazer good fit and after doing a bit of trip covering about 1300km as comfortable as anything else I have used,I previously had a BMW systems 3 which cost twice as much and wasn't as good to wear.

I also own a cheapie THH which is used occasionaly,build quality is not as good,but comfort is.

Offroad I wear a HJC CL-X3,comfortable and with a removable liner and ajustable peak and quick release strap.

All the helmets I use have quick release clips,bit of fiddling to get the adjustment right,but I doubt I would buy a helmet with out it.

tz tony
28th April 2004, 11:37
No I am not his passenger, my mate Grant owns this out fit and we are both newbies to sidecars, powered by a T150 Triumph engine. Didnt make the race as it damaged an oil feed line as well as the body work and my helmet!

k14
28th April 2004, 11:51
Just wondering what you people have as the fastening mechanism?? I have D rings on both my Shoei's and will never use anything else. I reckon it's the best and safest way to fasten it too your head.

What does everyone else think???

Coldkiwi
28th April 2004, 12:10
i started on a quick release equipped Grex and loved it. Some bugger flogged that from uni and I bought my KBC galaxy with a double D ring. Thought it would irritate me but it barely takes me 5 seconds to do it up and undo it now so I don't care. It is better than a quick release for two reasons 1) it is always going to be the right tension where quick release buckles need re tightening every now and then 2) if done up properly, it cannot come undone. A quick release is almost certainly not going to release but there is a small chance it could fail (spring goes etc).

I did a brief research project on helmets while at uni and discovered that Lazer are just about the only company to use a steel chin bar on their lids. To my knowledge, chin bars are not tested in any of the current snell, BS or ISO standards for impact despite the fact that it is a well known fact that having one dramatically reduces the risk of facial injuries and roll off in a spill. I'd definitely look at buying a lazer if I knew where to get them. (but do they have a darth vader looking one?)

merv
28th April 2004, 12:41
So much about helmets to me has something to do with how they fit your own head. When I bought the WR I thought it must be time I got another helmet instead of wearing my 10 year old HJC open face dirt helmet. Into Sawyers I go thinking I might go for a Nolan hat this time, but nope, try the bugger on and for my fat head the problem was it was way too straight on the inside lining with no nice little sculptured type pockets for my ears to fit in. Try HJC again and perfect!! So for some reason HJC seem to make helmets that fit my head whatever damn shape it is as my full face road hat is an HJC also. If I'd bought a hat too tight across my ears, instant headache.

Moral of the story is you have to try them on and in the end no matter how fancy the graphics are, to me, the bugger has to fit right. I had hoped to buy one to match the colours of the WR (i.e. blue) but had to settle on a black, white and silver job because that is all that was in the country in my size in time for the Pukemanu ride at the time.

Have stayed away from quick release road and dirt because they aren't that easy to adjust and I'm happy with the strap type.

DEATH_INC.
28th April 2004, 13:31
I see FFM helmets advertised in KiwiRider magazine. Very good price, made in N.Z. Are they cheap and nasty? Anyone got one??

From what I've heard these things are only assembled here......
Because of this,they qualify as N.Z. made and are why we can't get helmets without the huge duty(unless you get one in yerself....).That's why helmets here cost twice what they do in Aus..... :mad:

Kickaha
28th April 2004, 14:15
It is better than a quick release for two reasons 1) it is always going to be the right tension where quick release buckles need re tightening every now and then 2) if done up properly, it cannot come undone. A quick release is almost certainly not going to release but there is a small chance it could fail (spring goes etc).

That is meant to be the reason for using d rings,however the only guy I know who had a helmet come off in a accident was attached with D rings,we don't think he had it done up properly but who knows.

Lazer used to be ditsributed by Darbi's, don't know if they still do.

vifferman
28th April 2004, 14:31
D-rings are inherently safer in that they are less likely to come undone.
My AGV has a plug-in type fastener, and I like it because I can do it up and undo it with my gloves on (even though I usually don't).

madandy
28th April 2004, 16:50
I recal rumours about early clip type straps coming undone but I'm sure they'd have it sorted by now...I'm a 'D' ring man myself and chose to wear a HJC AC-10 'cause it fits right and 'cause its made of composite stuff thats is supposed to tough.

White trash
28th April 2004, 17:20
While we're on the subject. Isn't it funny how you're told to replace your lid after even a minor knock?

Superbike mag did an independant helmet test. Dropped them all from a third floor window onto concrete. Then they do whatever the European impact test is at the same point the helmet landed on.

EVERY SINGLE HELMET PASSED THE TEST AFTER BEING DROPPED!

Australian Motorcycle news interviewed a head honcho at Arai and was told by the factory man that if a helmet can't withstad being dropped every now and then from a seat or what ever then the thing shouldn't be sold.

Interesting

k14
28th April 2004, 18:15
Exactly why I still wear my shoei after i had a slow off, going about 30kph and slightly grazed the front bit that goes round my chin. I don't reckon it would have made any effect to it's crash impact absorbing abilities. It sucks there is no way to find out though, without wrecking it.

Holy Roller
28th April 2004, 19:23

I've had a couple
a motor X type and a road type. Both were great but as I've never had the privelidge to try an expensive one I can't compare them.
I binned with the road helmet on and it stayed together but had some major deep scratches in it so I put the axe through it so no one would reuse it and put in the jumbo bin. (a local buy sell and exchange transfer type station at Lake Rotoma).
I prefer the D rings, my full face a Grex with quick release is not always that quick to release, it get stuck sometimes. Very hard to undo with gloves on unlike the D rings.

sayso
7th January 2007, 14:07
hi guys,I love my agv,used to use Shoei but bought my first AGV in Italy in 1981 and have been using them ever since,they just fit me better than others and are really quiet,although my present one has those pull and twist quick release things for the visor and they are a bit noisy,the previous models were silent inside when you had just a screw holding the visor on.
We had an intercom and my wife used to say they were too quiet as she could hear me singing,on the good days,cheers

NighthawkNZ
7th January 2007, 15:17
Use to have a FFM, KIWI, & a LASER I now have a Nolan N-COM Flip and happy with it... its a good snugg fit, comfortable and I can happily wear it all day with no problem, its guts is easily washable, has the sun visor and the anti fog actually works... and for a flip helmet it is realitively quiet.

The other half calls it my darth vader helmet???? :doh:

MVnut
7th January 2007, 18:08
Started with Bell, then to Shoei for years, bought a Shark RS1 to leave in Zurich.......... all great helmets. Now use a BMW SportIntegral Carbon, best of the lot.:Punk:

Edbear
7th January 2007, 18:35
Somebody spotted an old thread and decided it was interesting enough to revive?

I got a good deal on a Zeus flip-front and am basically happy with it, but wonder if it's a bit heavier than ideal. Unfortunately can't afford to update yet, but my missus got a Nitro for herself recently and it looks good, fits well, though she can't wear her glasses under it she can wear her sunnies!

gamgee
7th January 2007, 19:20
I got an FFM M7 and love it, fits me so well, and was cheap - the price wasn't the reason I bought it tho, it was that it fitted me better than more expensive helmets.

skidz
7th January 2007, 21:56
German helmets are the best, but you do need earplugs.

gamgee
8th January 2007, 09:28
German helmets are the best, but you do need earplugs.

and an ugly face... so it doesn't matter if you mess it up more

rwh
8th January 2007, 11:11
I now have a Nolan N-COM Flip and happy with it

So do you have the bluetooth kit in that? Does it work well? I assume you can hear the phone ringing, and push one of the buttons on the side of your helmet to answer?

The folks at the bike shop weren't too clear on all that techo stuff ...

Richard

aderino4
9th January 2007, 12:51
Started with a Nolan (entry level model for $199) moved up to AGV X-Vent and now using Arai Chaser.

The Arai by far has the nicest fit, feel and look the best.

Can't complain except the price

imdying
9th January 2007, 12:56
Still my Craft RX6 which I brought from anarchyaccessories.co.nz with the KB discount. Loving it, plus I scare small children, eh OAB :lol:

gamgee
9th January 2007, 13:10
which craft helmet have you got?

imdying
9th January 2007, 13:30
Craft RX6in matt black

Indiana_Jones
9th January 2007, 13:45
Prefer D-Lock helmets as I feel I get a snugger fit than with the E-Z Clip helmets. Don't like Flip-Top helmets - but that is just me.

I'm the same here mate, I prefer D-rings and I don't kinda trust flip-face, I have no doubt that they're safe as, I just don't lol

-Indy

XP@
9th January 2007, 14:20
nolan n102 - eyes in the back of me noggin

onearmedbandit
9th January 2007, 14:34
Still my Craft RX6 which I brought from anarchyaccessories.co.nz with the KB discount. Loving it, plus I scare small children, eh OAB :lol:

Too true, i have seen children run and cry when they see imdying with his helmet on. Mind you it's better than the consequences of them seeing him without a helmet!

Myself, I've got an Arai.

Joni
9th January 2007, 14:44
In 2004 I see I posted AGV without a doubt... I have owned a few and never questioned it...

This weekend Kick suggested I try his on... damn its so much more comfortable than mine...

Lesson learnt: never just settle on the familiar, keep looking and testing! :yes:

eviltwin
16th January 2007, 20:03
check out www.designerhelmets.com

my favourite helmet is the draxtar P-104, i wish they did this full face styles!:Punk: