PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry any first aid stuff?

bugjuice
31st March 2006, 12:44
not to stress the fact that KB rides have crashes, or we sometimes ride with unsafe/squidilicious riders etc, but sometimes, shit just happens (or you slip on etc). Not relating to any rides whatsoever, I was just wondering who carries what, if anything. And I also think it's quite important, since should we be in an unfortunate event, we will know who to chase/contact (may be put cell numbers in your post too? most people know mine, I'm not fussed) during a ride. Or, if that rider was the unfortunate one, then we'd know to check their bag/bike for supplies to help.

Further more, given a medikit, who'd know what to do with it?

Cajun
31st March 2006, 12:53
Personally no, but i did st johns when i was much younger, and part of that training was being able to use what is around to you to help in a first aid area.

Saying that my work gave us first ad kits and fire exhustions for x-mas presents, so the first aid kit, is now in a save place under the wifes rear seat cowl, for if anything does happen its something as a back up.

Colapop
31st March 2006, 12:55
I've done med certs and the like since I was in the army - got taught how to stop a sucking chest wound. I always thought that sounded cool til I actually had to use my training and help someone (not a "sucking chest wound"). I know I can remain calm and get the job done. It's only later that I think about it.

Several people on here are on by buddy list, and therefore have access to home address / NOK contacts if it came to it. No big deal really.

bugjuice
31st March 2006, 13:02
I actually got one for my chrissy pressy just gone, from Postie. It's a Kathmandu 'hiker' kit, but if you're gonna break, you're gonna break. What's cool about it, is that the kit bag is the perfect size for my limited boot space. And it's got heaps in it. If you're thinking about one, I can't see why these ones aren't perfect.. All I've added to it is a bigger pair of scissors, a 'stanley' knife (never know) and a silver heat blanket..

kiwifruit
31st March 2006, 13:08
bloody good thought buggy,
never thought about it tbh
might make up a kit for my boot too

T.I.E
31st March 2006, 13:10
i have done worplace first aid, and normal first aid, etc, and carry a first aid kit in one of my panniers. think i will put a little sticker on my pannier to let everyone know.
enev if i fall off and have to do first aid onmyself at least it is there.
i don't really wanna bleed to death thinking "why didn't i just get that kit"
that would be a sad ass way to go.
boat and both cars have a fire thingee and first aid kit.
but having a problem mounting an extinguisher on the bike. (that how ya spell it)

Sniper
31st March 2006, 13:11
Ooo, I can fix ya, I got me a first aid certificate. Trust me, Im a professinal. (pt)

Anyway, yea I could handel myself in most situations unless it was a perforated bowel or deap internal injuries

Fishy
31st March 2006, 13:13
My boot space doesn't even allow me to carry around a deflated blow up doll for those long lonely solo rides let alone a first aid kit.

Not much hope for me really cause when I crash I do a good job of it and I think I would need to tow a trailer with enough gear to try and fix me up. Don't think I could fit a couple of hot nurses in my boot eh?

Riff Raff
31st March 2006, 13:14
I actually got one for my chrissy pressy just gone, from Postie. It's a Kathmandu 'hiker' kit, but if you're gonna break, you're gonna break. .
Kathmandu have got them on special at the moment - think they start at about $30 but are the perfect size to fit under the seat of most bikes. Everyone should carry one.

Is it time for us to do another biker first aid course Firefight?

bugjuice
31st March 2006, 13:18
yeah, I was thinking about putting a sticker on my bike, just behind the rider seat, so you can see it when the bike is stationary, but my ass will cover it when I'm riding.

Another thing I've recently done, is put the kit in a zip bag too, to stop water getting in and wrecking stuff (if I'm not too late).

I'd be keen for a 'refresher' if there was room RR

DemonWolf
31st March 2006, 13:20
Yeah I've got a First Aid kit.. made it up myself and in a water-tight zipper bag.

Here's the thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17813
with all the gears I got it in.

Rosie
31st March 2006, 13:23
I've got a current 1st aid certificate, which would probably be a lot more use in an accident than the collection of band aids, roller bandages and insect repellant in the back of my car. Perhaps I need to revamp my first aid kit so it contains useful things. And make up a little one for the bike.
I do have a small plastic bag and some duct tape under the seat on the bike, so I would be able to sort out a sucking chest wound, if nothing else.

crashe
31st March 2006, 13:27
I mostly carry my first aid kit if going out on a long trip or if i'm going on group rides... thats if I remember to throw it into the backpack.

Unfortunately, my bike doesnt have a 'boot' so it has to go into a backpack and that can get heavy after a while...

I need to get something like what Draco uses.. a bumbag tied onto the pillion seat... but one that I can put on and take off real easy. And make it totally waterpropf as well.

The first aid night that Firefight, Riff Raff, Draco and Speedmedic organised was great... lots turned up for it.. and we all had fun. It wouldn't hurt to have another one... as many more have joined the KB family... and they could all learn heaps.
I particurally like to relearn more about getting the helmet off another person's head.

Since I had a St John's ambo officer remove my helmet recently and he didnt have any idea on how to remove my helmet, until I told him how it is done... like pull out the sides wide and get it up over my ears...
He was ripping it off me... like he had just been told that I had gone over the handlebars and landed directly on the top of my head and then bounced twice on my chin... I'm lying on my belly and he was just about ripping my ears off.
The other ambo officer was doing other things, like getting the trolley out of the truck.

I also think ALL ambo officers should be taught on how to remove helmets as well. Those ambo's that ride bikes know how it is done...

DemonWolf
31st March 2006, 13:28
hmmm.. no room on the bike for an extingisher(sp?) or torch.

Just completed a refresher for Pre Hospital Emergency Care with the new CPR protocol's.... need to get fit!

Just noticed that I've got Cert No 10045... a fair few people have done 'em

Motu
31st March 2006, 13:43
Adventure rider here - we always carry enough shit to cut down a tree and mill it for splints.One first aid kit in every vehicle we own,and a small bike one in my bum bag that goes where I go.

As for using it - please pluck it from my limp hand...as I will have fainted at the first sign of blood.....

madmal64
31st March 2006, 13:48
Yep a kit is on my bike always. Got is it a waterproof zip bag and luckily Ive never needed it or had to use it.

Ixion
31st March 2006, 13:52
hmmm.. no room on the bike for an extingisher(sp?) or torch.

I carry a torch on Der Uberfarter - stow it under the kitchen sink. I've thought about an extinguisher , I've got room, but I'm not sure if those little wee extinguishers are just a waste of time.

On the couple of occassions I've had to use a fire extinguisher in earnest, they've been the big ones, and then I've emptied them and had to go racing round looking for more. So I don't know if one of the tiddley ones is going to be worth bothering ? Sort of feel that maybe a fire that small you could just beat it out with a jacket or throw road metal on it (did that when the SpeedTwin caught fire while I was riding it - worked well) . Anyone with expert knowledge care to comment ?

bkrwench
31st March 2006, 13:53
best thing you can have is your fellow riders and a cellphone.
if you and the bike are still mobile post accident (groucho forbid)
duct tape works just as good as a bandaid.
unfortunately alot of bike accidents usually require medical intervention.
although those thermal blankies are great, helps with shock
the rest can be substituted untill help arrives.

Mind you first aid courses have their place, you know what to do if part of your bike is stuck in your leg!!!

ramblings of a registered nurse

Squeak the Rat
31st March 2006, 13:54
No don't carry one, it's one of those things I keep meaning to do. One thing I think is compulsory is those fold-up silver emergency blankets.

Never know who you're going to meet......

Edit: Like bkrwench said simultaneously-ish :)

justsomeguy
31st March 2006, 14:00
Yup, I carry a fairly decent aid-kit. One of those red ones. Along with a puncture repair kit and a tool kit and an Auckland street map and a pen and a small rag.

Buster
31st March 2006, 14:03
Im a wuss so have no first aid experience. But thats no excuse really. I always carry basic things in my tank bag like some swabs and bandages to stop any bleeding until help arrives. Also got little squirty bottles (30mls) of sodium chloride solution which is good for getting bugs out of eyes etc.
And sunblock which everyone always scabs :niceone:

Squeak the Rat
31st March 2006, 14:03
I also keep intending to purchase a disposable camera. I don't always have my "camera phone" with me in case i need to prove some nutcase is at fault in an accident. Or if there actually wasn't a 50kph sign coming off the Ellerslie/Penrose off-ramp officer (there is now dammit). [end slightly off topic mini-rant]

justsomeguy
31st March 2006, 14:04
So I don't know if one of the tiddley ones is going to be worth bothering ? Sort of feel that maybe a fire that small you could just beat it out with a jacket or throw road metal on it (did that when the SpeedTwin caught fire while I was riding it - worked well) . Anyone with expert knowledge care to comment ?

Probably wont matter. Had one of my cages burn down on me due to the fuel hose to the engine leaking fuel into the engine bay.

Two passers by had fire extiguishers, biggish ones (1 foot and 1.5 foot) both emptied in about 30 seconds and made zero difference.

Just let the bike burn and get away from it - petrol tanks have a rotten habbit of trying to touch people with their flaming contents.

MisterD
31st March 2006, 14:06
I have to carry so many tools and the 2-stroke oil so there's no room left for medical stuff.....the black electrical tape would probably be useful though, it used to hold me together when I still played rugby.

Nitzer
31st March 2006, 15:17
I haven't got a First Aid kit on the bike but after reading this thread I feel I should rush out and get one! I may even get round to actually carrying the puncture repair kit that T.I.E kindly bought for me at the same time.

I did Fist Aid in the Scouts, does that count? :crazy:

pritch
31st March 2006, 15:26
I've done med certs and the like since I was in the army - got taught how to stop a sucking chest wound.

Ahh yes, but when the occasion arose what we had been taught turned out to be a load of bollocks. It was probably valid originally, but some time between then and when I needed it the material had passed its "use by date".

This thread got me thinking though, I carry a few first aid items for the bike but nothing else. May have to give this some thought....

Riff Raff
31st March 2006, 15:41
Folks it's all very well have a first aid kit on your bike (and I recommend that everyone does) but it's not much good if you don't know what you're doing. Everyone should do a first aid course (the training nights that we run are motorcycle specific i.e. helmet removal, scene safety and control etc with a little bit of first aid thrown in). St John now has first aid courses that you can do at home (you even get your own manniken to play with), so you can do it in your own time, or get a group of friends and do it together.

There have been a lot of changes recently, in particular with CPR so even if you have done a first aid course in the last few years it is important to do a refresher.

Crisis management
31st March 2006, 15:54
I,ve never carried any first aid stuff but its a good idea provided you know what to do with it... as lots of others have said. Its worth considering what you are trying to apply first aid too - if its cuts & bruises its not life threatening, if its life threatening what is there in a small first aid kit that will help? I am competent at first aid and could probably adapt clothing and stuff to hand to hold people together until help arrives - its the knowledge that is more important than the tools. So, again as others have said, do the courses!
The one thought I have had (yes it is friday and that is my weeks allocation) is more to do with how does the ambulance find you? Not so bad in the city but if your out in the country or any area you don't know- no road signs - what do you tell the guy on the end of the 111 call? How about portable GPS? Any good ideas out there?

bugjuice
31st March 2006, 15:58
I often take not of road signs where I can, and keep an eye on my odometer. In the event, hopefully I'll remember what road I'm on, and how many k's I've done since I started the road if there's no other landmarks

Squeak the Rat
31st March 2006, 16:01
Conversely I often have no idea where i am because i took some side road that looked fun and inviting.

It's a very good point, maybe the emergency services can triangulate on cell phone signals - I'd be interested to hear from any ES guys whether this is the case.

sels1
31st March 2006, 16:11
I carry a few odd items in my topbox, which would be useful in case of emergency, and have done regular 1st aid courses at work. And the first thing they teach on those courses is 1- make yourself and the scene safe and then 2 - dail 111 - get help! - so the most important item would seem to be a cellphone!

Kornholio
31st March 2006, 16:25
Do condoms and spare ciggy's count...I spose they do :)

Crisis management
31st March 2006, 17:33
Conversely I often have no idea where i am because i took some side road that looked fun and inviting.

It's a very good point, maybe the emergency services can triangulate on cell phone signals - I'd be interested to hear from any ES guys whether this is the case.
We had a recent search & rescue operation where the only contact was a cell phone, however the telecom's cannot divulge data without (as I recall) a search warrant. The data we got was, at best vaque, as atmospherics affect the range of the individual sites. Our triangulation ended up 10 km's from the victim. I would not rely on it too much!

Maha
31st March 2006, 17:52
I just carry the essentials...ie: ciggys,visor clean stuff,cheese cloth,wallet, baked beans (ya never know) paddling pool (ya never know) sunscreen, water to drink not for the pool, hip flask, panadol..............:niceone:

Squeak the Rat
31st March 2006, 18:13
Our triangulation ended up 10 km's from the victim. I would not rely on it too much!

Good to know thanks CM. Although there goes my false sense of security based on optimistic faith in our telecomunications providers :) I'm going to have to start paying attention to where I am going now :slap:

Kendog
31st March 2006, 19:01
I have to have a current first aid cert (for my job) and also after a mate offed it a few weeks ago and realised none of us had a plaster or a panadol with us, have added a basic first aid kit to my bits under my seat. So if you need something, and I'm passing or there, just ask, no probs!
Mrs KD

gixermike
31st March 2006, 19:19
I got sent a link to this the other day www.hatsoff.info it's a little gizmo to allow you lid to be removed without breaking your neck (nice touch). I tried to find a UK price for it, but so far couldn't find one. Any of the resident KB medical response team care to comment on wether they think it'd be any good. It seem pretty simple.

mike

crazyxr250rider
31st March 2006, 20:11
I always carry a 1st aid Kit on trail rides and use it nearly every ride.......

Jackrat
31st March 2006, 20:46
I carry my hunting kit in the tail peice of the bike.
The latest addition is a couple of small packs of Bio Freeze.
Good for bruised bits,an my aching back,an my aching shoulder,an my aching knee,,,,yeah

pritch
31st March 2006, 20:53
if its life threatening what is there in a small first aid kit that will help?

OK so this thread got me thinking (always dangerous)...

Something like the Army shell dressing could be handy, it's a big absorbent pad with a bandage attached so you can tie it on just about anywhere on a patient.

There was a TV item a while back that mentioned the South African Police find tampons just the thing for treating gunshot wounds. Makes sense I guess.

I usually carry a roll of duct tape, now all I need is a sanitary pad or two.
And, being single, a good story for why I would have the pads in my tank bag in the first place. :whistle:

Motu
31st March 2006, 20:55
And my hip flask is always full....at the start of a ride anyway....

pritch
31st March 2006, 20:59
And in case any of you are suddenly thinking of utilising duct tape as bandage, please do the gentle thing and apply it inside out.:doctor:

Scorpygirl
31st March 2006, 21:11
Rhino carries a very good first aid in the Wing cause there's plenty of room for one. :yes: Tucks in the side of the top box. We have made-up the kit ourselves. I check it once a year for stuff that is passed the expiry date and we replace it as needed.

Rhino also has to do a first aid course every two years as part of his electrician practising certificate.

Highlander
31st March 2006, 21:17
Have one I carry when hunting / tramping etc, generally toss it in the tank bag if I'm taking it (tank bag that is).
Thought about shoving a little kit under the seat but figured if I could fix it with what I can carry under the seat it probably didn't need fixing.
Keep a current First Aid certificate for work.

Scorpygirl
31st March 2006, 21:22
St John Ambulance have been teaching new CPR techniques recently. The rule now is 30 to 2 no matter who. So that is 30 compressions to two full breaths no matter if you have one or two people doing it or if the patient is an adult or an infant. Of course the pressure and breathing are different for infants but the ratio of compressions to breaths is the same.

Hope this is right Riff Raff and SpeedMedic :hug: I will take the biff if this is not the correct procedure. :chase:

Highlander
31st March 2006, 21:34
There was a TV item a while back that mentioned the South African Police find tampons just the thing for treating gunshot wounds. Makes sense I guess. :

Last first aid Course I did, the istructor told us that is what the RNZAF teaches. "Block the hole and evacuate them quick smart" is the theory...

I usually carry a roll of duct tape, now all I need is a sanitary pad or two.
Always have a couple in my first aid kit - theay are designed for absorbing blood.

Scorpygirl
31st March 2006, 21:38
If you're flooding they don't work well at all!!! You would need more than two believe me!!! :bash:

TONO
31st March 2006, 21:48
Do condoms and spare ciggy's count...I spose they do :)

Your bloody lucky then because I carry one & have an advanced cert.:eek:

Highlander
31st March 2006, 21:51
So I need a bigger kit then?

Firefight
31st March 2006, 22:06
We had a recent search & rescue operation where the only contact was a cell phone, however the telecom's cannot divulge data without (as I recall) a search warrant. The data we got was, at best vaque, as atmospherics affect the range of the individual sites. Our triangulation ended up 10 km's from the victim. I would not rely on it too much!

yes, that's a good point CM, also many of us ride the back roads , where cell coverage is not the best, and often we are a fair distance from urgently needed medical help.

F/F

.produKt
31st March 2006, 22:50
My idea of a tool... err first aid kit.

Screwdrivers with removable metal shaft, duct tape, pliers and a siringe of 98 Octane :D.

Screwdrivers / duct tape are used to make a brace to hold together my broken leg as i make it home or to the hospital in first gear (depending on which leg i just broke). =\

Pliers to gouge the stones out and
As for the petrol?
well it runs in me veins, so one simply must replace the petrolheadilizm that just escaped :D :yeah:.

But seriously now, i'd like to hear who has space for a comprehensive first aid kit?
Im not all too keen on having to carry a backpack just in case, and theres only room for the screwdrivers, duct tape and siringe full of 98octane under my pillion seat thingy -_-~

Riff Raff
31st March 2006, 22:59
St John Ambulance have been teaching new CPR techniques recently. The rule now is 30 to 2 no matter who. So that is 30 compressions to two full breaths no matter if you have one or two people doing it or if the patient is an adult or an infant. Of course the pressure and breathing are different for infants but the ratio of compressions to breaths is the same.

Hope this is right Riff Raff and SpeedMedic :hug: I will take the biff if this is not the correct procedure. :chase:
We do it differently in the ambulance setting so I'm not sure exactly what is being taught in first aid classes. I'm still on holiday at the moment so can check it out when I get back to work.

Krusti
1st April 2006, 03:50
not to stress the fact that KB rides have crashes, or we sometimes ride with unsafe/squidilicious riders etc, but sometimes, shit just happens (or you slip on etc). Not relating to any rides whatsoever, I was just wondering who carries what, if anything. And I also think it's quite important, since should we be in an unfortunate event, we will know who to chase/contact (may be put cell numbers in your post too? most people know mine, I'm not fussed) during a ride. Or, if that rider was the unfortunate one, then we'd know to check their bag/bike for supplies to help.

Further more, given a medikit, who'd know what to do with it?

Done quite a lot of training with my emergency kit, tear off tab, lift can, drink. Usually makes me feel better quickly.:drinkup: :woohoo:

Highlander
1st April 2006, 05:06
So you are well versed in the application of pain killers then.

Krusti
1st April 2006, 06:04
So you are well versed in the application of pain killers then.

Yeah, my wife brings hers with me when I ride. I feel bad, she lifts her top, I feel better. More women should use their first aid kits...:lol:

.produKt
1st April 2006, 10:10
Yeah, my wife brings hers with me when I ride. I feel bad, she lifts her top, I feel better. More women should use their first aid kits...:lol:

Haaahhaaaa!! brilliant! :D Aaah emergency 'jugs' are great :D:D

Kornholio
1st April 2006, 19:14
But seriously now, i'd like to hear who has space for a comprehensive first aid kit?
Im not all too keen on having to carry a backpack just in case, and theres only room for the screwdrivers, duct tape and siringe full of 98octane under my pillion seat thingy -_-~

Mate I can fit 9 of those little Cody bourbon cans, my Smoozuki toolkit and a scarf in case in gets a bit nipple in the 'boot' of the 750 :cool:

edit: bottles are a different story on the other hand...can get a few in but depending on how excited you are to get to your destination they tend to go BANG and leak all down the bikes ass end INCLUDING back tyre and rear brake :spudwow: ....speaking from experience...sorry once again Darrell for your loss of refreshments :/

Mrs Busa Pete
2nd April 2006, 09:00
i am one of works first aders only refresher corses tend to be to far apart .i use to carry the first aid kit that came with the boat but the kit went wen we sold the boat i do intend on geting one for the bike

Krusti
2nd April 2006, 13:19
Protector Safety have cool zip up, fold out kits in stock. We bought a few for the farm. Fold up to a good size. Good to have in tractor or at shed and just grab if needed. Would fit well in rear storage on bike.

Finn
3rd April 2006, 07:50
I always carry a band aid and some first aid cream. Hopefully I will never have to use it.

If it's something a little more serious I tend to call 111. Those guys carry quite a comprehensive first aid kit in those ambulances. If I'm unable to dial the number, there's normally someone around that will.

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 09:23
hope the peeps who clicked the 'no, but I know what I'm doing' actually know what they're doing!

Crisis management
3rd April 2006, 10:36
hope the peeps who clicked the 'no, but I know what I'm doing' actually know what they're doing!
I would be more concerned about the ones that are relying on a first aid kit to make up for a lack of first aid knowledge.

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 10:52
well, that too.. but if you have one and aren't too sure, then you'd give it to someone who did. If you don't have one and say you know what you're doing, then how does it look?

pritch
3rd April 2006, 10:57
I would be more concerned about the ones that are relying on a first aid kit to make up for a lack of first aid knowledge.

These things are all relative.

Last accident scene I was present at, from looking at the car and what was left of the bike, I assumed the rider to have a fractured pelvis, two fractured femurs and probably internal injuries as well. (Pretty much accurate.)

Other than ringing 111 for a helicopter (someone else had already done that) and stopping any further injuries, I wouldn't really know what to do in a case like that. A bandaid sure as hell ain't gonna be much use...

By chance there was an ambulance officer and a Nurse in attendance so I directed traffic.

Crisis management
3rd April 2006, 11:06
There are only so many things you can do; you can stop bleeding, apply CPR and keep victims comfortable. All of that you require knowledge for (and some improvisation to stop bleeding.)
A first aid kit is not essential, it may be nice to have but it will not affect the outcome at all.
If its serious what you need is to get help. There is nothing else to do.
Morbid as hell, but the reality of high speed accidents is that an operating theatre is the only place to be.

Do first aid courses!!!!!!

JMemonic
6th April 2006, 01:36
Since I had a St John's ambo officer remove my helmet recently and he didnt have any idea on how to remove my helmet, until I told him how it is done... like pull out the sides wide and get it up over my ears...
He was ripping it off me... like he had just been told that I had gone over the handlebars and landed directly on the top of my head and then bounced twice on my chin... I'm lying on my belly and he was just about ripping my ears off.
The other ambo officer was doing other things, like getting the trolley out of the truck.

I also think ALL ambo officers should be taught on how to remove helmets as well. Those ambo's that ride bikes know how it is done...

WTF I did industrial first aid and have had 3 refreshers now as part of my job, my tutor is a paramedic, his words were do not remove any head protection, unless it is vital to remove it, he told us a story about taking folks to A&E still wearing their helmets, where they can cut them off which is far safer then yanking on a damaged spine, there are folks out there who are technically tetraplegic's yet are walking cause of proper first aid. Only remove the helmet if you need to proform cpr, I seem to recollect thats what the manual says as well.

One of the first things that needs to be taught is do nothing unless it needs to be done, as part of my training we do triarge, which I understand from my last refresher the basic first aid course does not cover, serously folks if you get the chance do this piece of study its wll worth it.

As a side note you folks who have had your certs lapse get the done again, there are a lot of changes, ie recently CPR went from 15 compressions to 2 breaths 30 to 2 fo adults thats the kind of info you need to know

JMemonic
6th April 2006, 01:41
The one thought I have had (yes it is friday and that is my weeks allocation) is more to do with how does the ambulance find you? Not so bad in the city but if your out in the country or any area you don't know- no road signs - what do you tell the guy on the end of the 111 call? How about portable GPS? Any good ideas out there?

Rapid numbers, or rough landmarks and distances work well, anything that helps, you would be surprised at what local ambo offices now about their district.

Bob
6th April 2006, 02:21
WTF I did industrial first aid and have had 3 refreshers now as part of my job, my tutor is a paramedic, his words were do not remove any head protection, unless it is vital to remove it

I took the "Emergency First Aid for Motorcyclists" course run by St John Ambulance. And they showed us how to take off a helmet safely. And drummed into us that you N E V E R remove a helmet unless there is a life-threatening situation (like they're not breathing and you need to administer CPR). Having been shown how to remove a helmet (you need at least two people to have any chance), it is terrifying. We had to take turns at being the "victim", then the person supporting the helmet and finally the one removing it. By the end, everyone was coated in sweat as it is SO tricky to do with any degree of safety.

As JMemonic says, the risk of causing far greater injury (for all you know, the helmet is the only thing keeping their spine intact at the neck region) outweighs any need to remove a helmet unless immediate emergency treatment is needed to keep them alive.

Back to the course - we were taught scene assessment, how to check breathing and for any fractures or other injuries, how to put someone into the recovery position (so simple once you know how) and CPR. We were also given the basics of putting on a bandage.

So to the original subject - I carry a bandage and a mouth guard in case I need to adminster CPR. I keep meaning to add a triangular bandage to the kit, as they can be used for all sorts of things.

Thanks for advising the change in breaths/compressions ratio - I'd not heard that. Of course, this kinda makes a mess of using the old childrens song "Nelly the Elephant" to get the rythm and numbers right.

(Seriously, do Nelly the Elephant up to the end of "Off she went with a trumpety trump, trump, trump, trump" and it is 15 compressions. Suppose now just double it)

kevie
6th April 2006, 09:29
I carry a large bumbag with a mini version of my trauma kit, I carry it with me at work (linehaul trucker) and wear it on rides.
I have a full trauma kit in my car too.
Im trained up to Primary care 2 ambulance level altho I have quit ambulance after a few years as a volunteer.
Had it with me when we went on the Palmy ride a couple weeks ago ... and while Im prepared for the worse.... always relieved and hoping it never happens to any of the riders.

I often wonder in an organized ride wether its an OSH requirement for someone to be 'firstaide' on the ride ...... oops now were getting technical eh lol
But its good for anyone that is firstaide qual'd to approach the organizer of the ride and make themselves known, aspecially if you have a kit with you.

bugjuice
6th April 2006, 09:31
I often wonder in an organized ride wether its an OSH requirement for someone to be 'firstaide' on the ride
there's no OSH stuff here.. just a bunch of guys n gals riding bikes.. doesn't even come into it

kevie
6th April 2006, 09:39
LOL yeh the emergency service personel do have a good local knowledge, but in same light ..... give as much info on location as you can, sometimes the 'local' meat wagon isnt available and they send one from a neighbouring area ... and bearing in mind .,.. when you dial 111 on a cell phone your call could be picked up as far away as Christchurch control centre and they dont even know where the North Island is lmao:weird: I had an incident where I came across a car fire at 1am and had to explain to the operator where Kakariki was and what was the nearest responding station LOL .. they didnt have a clue.

kevie
6th April 2006, 09:42
:bleh: heheheheheh :doctor:

got a reaction eh :P

JMemonic
6th April 2006, 10:07
LOL yeh the emergency service personel do have a good local knowledge, but in same light ..... give as much info on location as you can, sometimes the 'local' meat wagon isnt available and they send one from a neighbouring area ... and bearing in mind .,.. when you dial 111 on a cell phone your call could be picked up as far away as Christchurch control centre and they dont even know where the North Island is lmao:weird: I had an incident where I came across a car fire at 1am and had to explain to the operator where Kakariki was and what was the nearest responding station LOL .. they didnt have a clue.

And from here in the mainland we have the same issue except wait for it, had to ring police comms emergency number for a serious matter, got an operator in Auckland the conversation was going now where fast and it took me a few minutes to work out what was going on, things like there is no intersetcion between those streets etc, turned out she was looking at the wrong map, hung up and rang the local camms number and went straight through, the operator there suggested it might have been as I was on a cell phone it went through to Auckland. Brilliant system ..... not.

kevie
7th April 2006, 12:04
Yeh when I was on Ambulance we had a caller phoned 111 and screamed down the phone there was a reallllly bad crash on the intersection of 2 streets ... then hung up, EMS were sent to that addy in Auckland where the operator had 'picked up the 111' only to find nothing there , they couldnt get the caller back on phone so ambulance control had to wait till they called back, turned out it was at a town in South Island.

TONO
7th April 2006, 12:15
Mate I can fit 9 of those little Cody bourbon cans, my Smoozuki toolkit and a scarf in case in gets a bit nipple in the 'boot' of the 750 :cool:

edit: bottles are a different story on the other hand...can get a few in but depending on how excited you are to get to your destination they tend to go BANG and leak all down the bikes ass end INCLUDING back tyre and rear brake :spudwow: ....speaking from experience...sorry once again Darrell for your loss of refreshments :/

Start being responsible and get a 1st aid kit you bloody hillbilly:blink: and make sure its got a tube of roid cream in it.:buggerd: :lol:

phantom
7th April 2006, 13:45
Have a current first aid certificate ( work pays ) and if I am going on a decent ride complete with backpack or the like I "borrow" the first aid kit out of the company car but there is no storage space on my GB for even a band aid

u4ea
7th April 2006, 14:02
i carry the bullet wraps in my leathers as well as panadol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!got first aid cert.

Kornholio
7th April 2006, 20:14
Start being responsible and get a 1st aid kit you bloody hillbilly:blink:

Lol, you said the 'R' word :Pokey:

and make sure its got a tube of roid cream in it.

Haha why should I carry around your bum-grape cream, get your own and dont ask Judy to administer it either...cos thats not nice :pinch:

Jase W
8th April 2006, 17:07
Got my first aid cert as part of bartending course - I was also told never to remove a helmet unless its vital to keeping them alive. In some cases the helmet is keeping them alive by holding vital bits together and removing it will kill them.

inlinefour
9th April 2006, 08:45
After the last accident I had to stop at wherre the rider needed to be choppered back to hospital I knocked a kit together. I also got a sholder bag so it can hold the first aid kit, tyre panda, simple tool kit and the wet weather gear. The misses was even kind enough to attach a KBer patch on the bag to set the whole thing off.:niceone: