PDA

View Full Version : Keystone19 Race Repport AMCC Round 4 1.4.06

Keystone19
2nd April 2006, 08:48
My goal for the day was to try racing for the first time and get a feel for what it was like. It was also to see if racing was something I wanted to spend some time doing. As some of you know I’ve been doing ok at the odd track day and a couple of the guys suggested I should try racing. Well, a track day is one thing but I imagined racing would be something else again. And I wasn’t wrong!

First of all thanks to Sudeep (Motoracer) for being brave enough to risk lending me his GSXR600 – a bit foolishly as it turned out (really sorry about that Sudeep). Thanks to Kit (Bugjuice) for helping out and telling me stuff like how to start and where to line up – all the things a newbie needs to know but doesn’t want to ask.

The day started for me with the practice session. This went ok and I qualified third with a CBR600 and a CBR900 ahead of me in Clubmans. After watching some of the other races it was finally my turn. We did a one-lap warm up and then lined up on the grid. This turned out a bit funny because no-one had told me there were two starts – one for the pre-89 classics in front of us on the grid and then one for us! Oops! Wondered why I got such a good start compared to the rest of Clubmans!

Everything went well for the first half of the first lap and then coming into the hairpin it all turned a bit pear-shaped. I dropped down from 6th to 2nd coming into the turn and before I’d even started the turn I was suddenly on the deck. I have no idea what I did wrong as I’d been doing the same thing all day in practice. All I can think is that I just came in too fast and lost the front. Luckily I was on the outside and fell clear of the rest of the bikes.

I could not believe it. My first lap of my first race on a bike that was not mine and I binned it. I was so cross at myself! The marshals came running over and asked if I was ok. They then picked up the bike and rolled it away. Not having had this experience before I didn’t know if I was going to be allowed back in the race so I was pleased that one of the marshals managed to restart the bike for me and I was allowed to get going. Thanks guys!

I finished the race and managed a third place much to my surprise! Not the best start to my racing career though and I just cringe to think what poor Sudeep was thinking when I rode back into the pits on his bike.

I completed two more races and although I never pulled the times I did the previous day, by the last race I felt I was getting back into the groove again so was pretty happy with that. I learnt heaps. I learnt that racing is fun but can be cut-throat. I learnt that I can crash and get back on. I also learnt that I will be back to try again.

A couple of people that I need to thank as well are Frosty for letting me do a session on his SV nearly a year ago and getting me completely hooked on this game. Thanks also to Bret (Quasievil) for offering me his bike to race and getting me thinking about the whole thing. And thanks to Motobob for driving me to and from the track most of the time! Thanks to Jo and Rach for coming along and hanging out in the pits with me. And thanks to everyone who has supported me to get out there and do it.

I’ll be back – this time on my own race bike!

Leong
2nd April 2006, 09:10
Sounds like you crammed a whole lot of new experiences into that one day, highs (qualifying well) and lows too.

Good to see people getting out there and "doing it". Congratulations!!!

Will
2nd April 2006, 09:19
Contrats Keystone!
You may've had a mishap but sounds like you had a really positive day.
You young whippersnappers......Gosh, it wasn't that long ago that you were running around on a 250.

FROSTY
2nd April 2006, 09:46
Onya keystone. Good onya getting back on after a crash too.
Ya scared the beejeebers outa us when ya diddnt come round on lap 1

Toast
2nd April 2006, 09:53
Damn Jill, as said above, sounds like a rollercoaster day, but one that I'm sure you'll take heaps out of. 3rd place after crashing out? You must've been carving the field up.

Hopefully you will be able to recall exactly what happened in the crash, so that you can learn from it. I've thought (alot) more about my moment on Friday, and am fairly sure I won't make the same mistake again (though probably just do something worse)

Can't wait to see you out on your race bike ;)

All the best girl :niceone:

bugjuice
2nd April 2006, 10:02
it was an awesome day, and you did really well.. I think the bin just adds to the experience and you would have learnt a lot more with it, than without it. And it wasn't all the serious.. Hope you aren't too achey today ;)

good on ya gal :niceone:

cowpoos
2nd April 2006, 10:06
you eh....lil ledgend you....good stuff luv

hope ur not to sore eh?

Nicksta
2nd April 2006, 10:14
Fantastic race report Keystone......
sorry to hear of the bin, but very glad you and bike were ok and continued on.... go TEAM MILF!!!!
maybe soon i can come join you.....
let us know next time and i'll come out and cheer you on!

erik
2nd April 2006, 10:31
I was taking photos at the hairpin when you crashed. I was wondering "which one is keystone" and just found your bike, then it looked like your front wheel washed out! I'm glad you were ok. You've got my respect for getting out there, particularly for getting back on the bike after the off and completing the race. :niceone:

dss3
2nd April 2006, 10:35
Haha, nice action shots there Erik mate!

Yeah, ditto to all the comments above, very well done Jill, can't wait for next one eh!

Mr Skid
2nd April 2006, 10:47
I’ll be back – this time on my own race bike!Does this mean that you rooted the bike so badly you're having to buy it off Sudeep?

babyB
2nd April 2006, 11:39
way cool keystone good on ya for getting out there & doing it:2thumbsup
ya got a good attatude

Sparky Bills
2nd April 2006, 11:51
I know exactly how ya feel!
The same thing happened to me at Wangas last year.
One minute your up having a good time, next your down sliding on your ass!

Good stuff for getting out there, and even better for getting back on!:Punk:

Nothing but respect to ya!

Hope you still had a ball, and will be out racing again soon!?

Nicksta
2nd April 2006, 12:55
Awesome pics Erik..... good on ya again Keystone

SwanTiger
2nd April 2006, 13:16
Thanks for the write up, its good to hear you did bloody damn well for your first race. I am very impressed to see a chick out there giving it a real go and making an acheivement of it. If what I saw on Friday and yesterdays Feed back is anything to go buy, your future looks bright in racing.

Top shit :2thumbsup

Gazzar
2nd April 2006, 13:49
Good one Jill for getting out there and doing it. You looked good coming over the hill past us. Keep it up girl.

ManDownUnder
2nd April 2006, 14:20
...before I’d even started the turn I was suddenly on the deck. I have no idea what I did wrong ...

I remember that expereinec well as a 14 year old discovering the joy of (FAR) too much alcohol...

Seriously imp[ressed at the go do it attitude - remember us little people when you hit the bigtime.

NK

chickenfunkstar
2nd April 2006, 14:24
Congratulations Jill, sounds like you did really well!

Firefight
2nd April 2006, 14:44
yeah what Erik said Jill,

good on you getting back on the bike right away.

maxium respect.

F/F

Two Smoker
2nd April 2006, 17:31
Awesome stuff Jill, you were looking real smooth out there. Well done on getting back on the bike after the small rest...

Cleve
2nd April 2006, 18:14
Way to go. You were good at those track days I was with you at, so good on you for getting into it. I couldn't make this round as I am overseas at the mo' on business.
Will you be at Taupo? If so, see you there as I am back in NZ by then.

Keystone19
2nd April 2006, 19:05
Yep, I'll be at Taupo for sure Cleve. Looking forward to getting back out there and trying again.

Thanks everyone!
Jill

Keystone19
2nd April 2006, 21:06
Your lucky I didnt see you crash or I woulda had those leathers off in a hurry......, to check for injuries you know.:shifty:

Oh and congrats on an awesome first race.. you done well I was so proud telling my collegue all about you!
Next time canyou park closer to the scrutineering tho?

Lol, I forgot about that wee push of Motobob's bike Glen! Thanks heaps for that!

bugjuice
2nd April 2006, 21:09
get a room..

Qkchk
2nd April 2006, 21:38
Awesome news matey! Shame that you had to take a bin but the fact you got back on and ended up third is really good to see :2thumbsup it will be only a short time till we see you running around looking for sponsers for your own bike :first: Keep up the good work! (Would of loved to come down to watch but had to work 12 hours instead :brick:)

PS Did ya scratch in the other knee slider????

Motoracer
3rd April 2006, 01:07
First of all thanks to Sudeep (Motoracer) for being brave enough to risk lending me his GSXR600 – a bit foolishly as it turned out (really sorry about that Sudeep)...............

.............. I could not believe it. My first lap of my first race on a bike that was not mine and I binned it. I was so cross at myself! I finished the race and managed a third place much to my surprise! Not the best start to my racing career though and I just cringe to think what poor Sudeep was thinking when I rode back into the pits on his bike.

Hey Jill, I got a bit worried after you didn't come around on that 1st lap of yours... Then you came around and from what I could see then, everything looked fine. I just assumed you must have gone into the kitty litter and lost a bit of time. I was pretty surprised to see the scratches when you came back into the pits. You broke my toy... how could you?! :crybaby:

I'm only kidding btw. Don't feel bad about it Jill! :) I was just glad to see that you were OK. A bike is a bike. It's just bits of plastic, rubber and metal. Just as long as everything gets fixed on it, it doesn't bother me. It's racing, shit happens.

It was great to see you get back on it though. It definetly looked like you were getting back into the grove a bit later on in the day. You've got my respect for how quick you were going just the other day in practice!! You've got some talent there and there's no doubt about that. It's just a shame you couldn't replicate thoes times on Saturday but you'll get other oppertunities in the future. We bought the tires second hand to save money and you did do Taupo and Pukekohe practice days before your race, so maybe the tires were getting a bit shagged anyway. So by all means, you should be working towards getting organised and getting back on the track ASAP!

You are definetly one of the racers I'll watch out for in the future, and I'm not just saying that to be nice. Well done Jill! :)

Keystone19
3rd April 2006, 09:06
PS Did ya scratch in the other knee slider????

Not on Saturday but I did on Friday! Woohoo!

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 11:25
get a room..

are u trying to beat snipers post count.....

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 12:04
no, are you?

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 12:36
no, are you?

no..I don't hav the mental ability to make so many pointless repleys....
I sore a page and a half of snipers pointless repleies in PD one day....was a bit of a larf seeing em all together

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 12:48
I was merely having a jab at Keystone and Speedy to get a room, they way they were going on..

skelstar
3rd April 2006, 12:53
Buggy. You've averaged more than 30 posts a day since your 8000th!
Still, poos finds himself in a glass-house with an twitchy throwing arm.:)

bugjuice
3rd April 2006, 12:58
who's been counting? work sux, and I'm looking for a new job, so soon I won't be here at all..

but anyway, we're going a bit OT..
Back to KS19 rockin the show

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 13:19
Buggy. You've averaged more than 30 posts a day since your 8000th!
Still, poos finds himself in a glass-house with an twitchy throwing arm.:)

4.87 posts a day.....hmmmmm

whats you average lil fella?

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 13:23
9.77 post a day skel....u lil poster hor

cowpoos
3rd April 2006, 13:36
Dont you have bovine duties of some description. No wonder you pay your workers so much. There boss on his computer doing "work" all day, between "company trips" on the botomike

waiting for a mechanic to come fix my tractor....it just so happens that home is the best place to wait on the farm....

Phurrball
3rd April 2006, 13:49
Well done Jill! Nice comeback...

Sounds like you're hooked;)

motobob
3rd April 2006, 20:23
[QUOTE=SpeedMedic]Dunno what your on about there pommie git, just congratulated her like everyone else and was thanked fer pushin motobobs bike.. meah..
QUOTE]

Thanks Glenn for pushing my bike to scruitineering. I really needed a push down the back straight too. Maybe next time. :D

kels
3rd April 2006, 20:41
Way to go Keystone! Very impressive! I could never get the courage to do that, GOOD ON YA :2thumbsup

gpercivl
4th April 2006, 16:36
Well done keystone, if it's any consolation I did exactly the same thing in my 1st race of the day at the hairpin too :niceone: